TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Saturday is bring a friend for free with membership. Do they have to enter with you or can they show up later in the day and meet you at the gate?

https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/special-events/celebration/season-pass-holder-appreciation-day

Per the SFOG website: How To Bring a Friend Free: No coupon required. Just bring your friend and your Membership ID card to the front gate. Have your friend stand behind you as you enter and let the attendant know you brought a friend. They will scan your card to validate your free friend offer and then both of you will be allowed in!

Anyone want to share preferred parking details? Close to the gate? Worth reserving? In and out within the preferred lot during the day? Thanks. Going down this weekend.

None of the parking in the East lot is really close to the main entrance. The West lot is closer but was not open on either of my visits. If I am going to be walking 5-10 miles a day, I'm not really concerned with a few extra steps. But if you have it free, I can't see the harm. If you have to buy it, I'd say it's not worth it at all. YMMV if you have small children or elderly with you.

As far as leaving and coming back, I'm not sure. I have a diamond membership and did not use preferred parking at any of the six SF parks I visited last year. Traffic in Atlanta (even on Saturday) is awful and I would subject myself to that as little as possible.

Traffic in Atlanta is horrible no matter what day of the week it is.

Busy today. Maybe it's the fact they only seemed to run 1 train on everything but DDD and Batman. Other than that, really enjoyed today. First amusement park in 22 years and I had a blast. The RMC lived up to the hype. DDD lift is crazy. Goliath was fun. Superman was fun. What a day.

I have to call out SFOG yesterday on a few levels.

I'll preface this by saying i've been coming to this park for over 40 years.

First, it seems all of the permanent pass/ticket machines were broken. They had to use portable ones which made the line to get in ridiculous.

Second, it seems the red train is broken on TS. It didn't work last week at all and again this week the same issue. They had all week to work on it and it was still down.

3rd, why would you only be running 1 train on Goliath? This make no sense at all.

Finally, as we walked through the park at least half the rides were closed or had a sign stating only 1 train running today.

If I wasn't a member I would have been extremely pissed by the decision making yesterday. I hope they resolve these problems before spring break.

It is absolutely stunning to me that enthusiasts who should know better go to regional parks the first few weeks of the season and expect everything to be at full capacity... especially Six Flags parks.

The offseason is now 2 months long thanks to Holiday in the Park which is an awesome, awesome thing and the only downside is that thanks to the super tight turnaround time a few coasters may be open, but running at a reduced capacity for a few weeks.

Looking at Queue Times, the only non-seasonal rides that haven't been open at all are the train (who cares?), the crappy standup because they're painting it and the kiddy coaster. Even the flume is open in March.

An increase in ride breakdowns throughout the day, long lines at the gate and for food (thanks to technical issues and new employees) and rides running at reduced capacity are to be expected at basically every regional park in America the first few days of operation.

Second, it seems the red train is broken on TS. It didn't work last week at all and again this week the same issue. They had all week to work on it and it was still down.

What is TS? Did you mean Twisted Cyclone/TC? Is the red train really broken or just not ready yet because of the shorter off season?

Then it must also be stunning that I live 20 minutes from the park.

I don't expect miracles but I do expect the most popular rides to run more than I car. There shouldn't be an hour wait before noon on Goliath or TC ever in my opinion.

GASM and Bluehawk were not running at all pre lunch time....

It is absolutely stunning to me that enthusiasts who should know better go to regional parks the first few weeks of the season and expect everything to be at full capacity... especially Six Flags parks.

The offseason is now 2 months long thanks to Holiday in the Park which is an awesome, awesome thing and the only downside is that thanks to the super tight turnaround time a few coasters may be open, but running at a reduced capacity for a few weeks.

Looking at Queue Times, the only non-seasonal rides that haven't been open at all are the train (who cares?), the crappy standup because they're painting it and the kiddy coaster. Even the flume is open in March.

An increase in ride breakdowns throughout the day, long lines at the gate and for food (thanks to technical issues and new employees) and rides running at reduced capacity are to be expected at basically every regional park in America the first few days of operation.

GASM and Bluehawk were not running at all pre lunch time....

Hey look, they're both open and they've been open for like 3 hours. Does anyone really care if they don't open a Vekoma looper in the back of the park and an atrocious wood coaster that would be dramatically better if it were on fire until noon during the second week of the season?

Then it must also be stunning that I live 20 minutes from the park.

Not at all, but that's even more of a reason not to sweat the small stuff.

Today was a pretty light day at the park.

Kind of annoying that Goliath, Superman, and Blue Hawk were running one train today, but hey, they only have a two month turnaround to maintain the rides.

TC, Mindbender, Batman, DDD were all running 2+ trains, so the wait was little if not nonexistent.

Scorcher is looking good though the red paint and grey supports are looking really good and WAY better than the old paint job.

Also, the general was running again today. The Texas was in the R.R. parking building.

I went back for a few hours this morning. Rode both trains on TC before 10:30. Walked onto Batman, Superman, Battle for Metropolis, and Blue Hawk. 10 min wait for Monster Mansion. Got in a 20-30 min line for Goliath around 12:45 and then headed back home.

I would agree with previous comments that operations were not great this weekend. I didn't let it ruin my time. Staff was nice and trying. My frustration was just easily getting some water somewhere for my bottle. Need a couple more open drink stall things like the one at the mine train. It's also strange that only 1 car is running on most things. Lines were long on Saturday afternoon. Still had a blast.

Wish I could have stayed longer today. Can't wait to return sometime soon.

Ummm. . .

[attachment=0]Fort Mill-20150619-02959.jpg[/attachment]

Either someone didn't do their homework or this color combo is the standard for stand-up coasters in the south lol.

That was my thought too... but given Cedar Fair's trend, I bet Vortex will either be converted or removed in a few years anyway. Not that them having the same color scheme really matters to begin with.

I really like red track/gray supports. Firehawk was one of my favorite color schemes. Looks great on Scorcher and it was SO needed. Hopefully the trains get a nice matching color scheme as well.

I really like red track/gray supports. Firehawk was one of my favorite color schemes. Looks great on Scorcher and it was SO needed. Hopefully the trains get a nice matching color scheme as well.

All they're gonna do to the trains has göt2b just slapping some ads on them.

Weekend report: We went both Saturday and Sunday. So, Saturday TC was down at open and Goliath quit later in the day all the way through 2pm Sunday. Every other ride at least once was down Sunday. TC was running Sunday morning and Son and I were able to get in 3 rides before line built up. Sunday was just a bad day for any ride in that park. Still had fun though. My youngest son rode mine train and Joker (first time for each) he's 12. I could not load site from phone yesterday so could not get photos.

First visit to the park was Saturday! No new credits, sadly, but I did do some flats and both dark ride. SkyScreamer was definitely my favorite ride of the day, what a cool experience! Awesome views of the park, and the weird program that sent you up twice was just a laugh fest. Justice League was incredible, such a good dark ride. Monster Mansion is... well, Monster Mansion. I can't describe it. The flyers were pretty good, the train was actually really cool, and that's about it. A solid day overall, only spent about three hours there but I can't wait to return. Pretty good first experience at a Six Flags park, I'll be back at some point next month to get that sweet sweet RMC cred.

I have to call out SFOG yesterday on a few levels.

I'll preface this by saying i've been coming to this park for over 40 years.

First, it seems all of the permanent pass/ticket machines were broken. They had to use portable ones which made the line to get in ridiculous.

3rd, why would you only be running 1 train on Goliath? This make no sense at all.

Finally, as we walked through the park at least half the rides were closed or had a sign stating only 1 train running today.

If I wasn't a member I would have been extremely pissed by the decision making yesterday. I hope they resolve these problems before spring break.

See, I could understand that, but you're asking a large park like Six Flags over Georgia that isn't a flagship of the chain, lets be honest. SFOG doesn't get the funding or support that a Great America or Magic Mountain will.... You're expecting them to be able to turn around and perform mandatory maintenance on older rides and trains, in a climate that is known for being fairly abusive to outdoor rides, plus have inspections and the like, in about 2 months of time. That's nearly impossible and it's simply amazing they do what they can with the time they have.

Heading to the park for a couple hours tomorrow after work for the first time this year. Hoping to get a couple rides on TC and Mindbender and check out the Scorcher paint.

I was there today and the park was just mildly busy (The main parking lot looked to be only about 1/3 full at it's peak). The weather I think kept many away (rain this morning with a forecast high if 61). It was GREAT for me. It's spring break and that's usually the worst time to go outside of weekends in the early part of the season before daily operations begin. Most everything was a station wait, with a couple walk ons. Twisted Cyclone's line was at the bottom of the stairs each time I rode it, and only a 2 train wait for Mind Bender. Tomorrow (Wed) will likely be back to it's normal extra busy with dry weather and mid-70s temps again. I certainly got lucky picking today to go.

They are taking their sweet time painting Georgia Scorcher. It's only a bit more than halfway done from what I could see. I expected them to be through by now. They are painting it by hand with rollers instead of sprayers. Someone told me that when I was on the way to the park this morning and thought it was a late April Fool's Joke. Nope...they weren't kidding. They were also told by employees at the park it would likely be reopening next month about when Pandemonium opens...which showed no signs of life on that plot of land while I was there today. Of course with any rumor like info, take with a grain of salt. However with what I saw, I'm about 99.9% sure that info was correct.

Also, nothing to do with replying to this post, but no need to make another post so here goes:

What in the world is going on with Superman Ultimate Flight????? The ride has 3 trains, or at least used to (I hadn't kept up with this ride much since I last rode it about 11 years ago). They opened the ride at noon (which I suppose was planned as that's when Blue Hawk opened as well). They only had one train in use. I waited about 30 minutes and I got in line within 10 minutes of them opening it. By the time I got off, the line had to be well over an hour. While I did mention the park wasn't crazy busy, that ride in particular takes forever to load and unload in comparison to the others in the park. To make things worse, the train in use had a MINIMUM of 3 seats locked with a pipe (don't know the technical name of that device is), so that train couldn't perform at full capacity. On several seats (including mine), they had to to some sort of manual lock which caused even more of a delay since they also had to unlock them manually to depart. On top of all that, it looked HORRIBLE in general. You think the trains in use would get a halfway decent touch up before putting them in operation. I understand with extending the seasons it leaves less time to refurb and such in the shorter off-season. The other trains may be out getting their annual refurb. However, it wasn't a good look. I guess I finally get what "Have a Six Flags Day" really means now...lol

Also, I finally rode Great American Scream Machine after a 20-year hiatus (last went in November and was closed for the season, and before that May 2008 when the park was slammed so skipped it for new to me credits at that time). I wouldn't care if they tore that contraption down if they are just going to continue to run it as is. It needs a major rehab. Whether that be complete retracking or complete rebuild if necessary. They worked on a couple sections in the off season, but it did nothing for the enjoyment of the ride (unless it was considerably worse before, which I dread the thought and am glad I didn't get to ride it last time I was there). I know them putting the Georgia Cyclone trains on it has contributed to it's roughness. I had seen many people claiming it had gotten quite bad and blew them off to being overly sensitive. At least now IMO, I agree with them. I'm sure some will say they like it as is. Well more power to you and keep on riding while I head back to Twisted Cyclone....lol

Heading to the park for a couple hours tomorrow after work for the first time this year. Hoping to get a couple rides on TC and Mindbender and check out the Scorcher paint.

I was there today and the park was just mildly busy (The main parking lot looked to be only about 1/3 full at it's peak). The weather I think kept many away (rain this morning with a forecast high if 61). It was GREAT for me. It's spring break and that's usually the worst time to go outside of weekends in the early part of the season before daily operations begin. Most everything was a station wait, with a couple walk ons. Twisted Cyclone's line was at the bottom of the stairs each time I rode it, and only a 2 train wait for Mind Bender. Tomorrow (Wed) will likely be back to it's normal extra busy with dry weather and mid-70s temps again. I certainly got lucky picking today to go.

They are taking their sweet time painting Georgia Scorcher. It's only a bit more than halfway done from what I could see. I expected them to be through by now. They are painting it by hand with rollers instead of sprayers. Someone told me that when I was on the way to the park this morning and thought it was a late April Fool's Joke. Nope...they weren't kidding. They were also told by employees at the park it would likely be reopening next month about when Pandemonium opens...which showed no signs of life on that plot of land while I was there today. Of course with any rumor like info, take with a grain of salt. However with what I saw, I'm about 99.9% sure that info was correct.

Also, nothing to do with replying to this post, but no need to make another post so here goes:

What in the world is going on with Superman Ultimate Flight????? The ride has 3 trains, or at least used to (I hadn't kept up with this ride much since I last rode it about 11 years ago). They opened the ride at noon (which I suppose was planned as that's when Blue Hawk opened as well). They only had one train in use. I waited about 30 minutes and I got in line within 10 minutes of them opening it. By the time I got off, the line had to be well over an hour. While I did mention the park wasn't crazy busy, that ride in particular takes forever to load and unload in comparison to the others in the park. To make things worse, the train in use had a MINIMUM of 3 seats locked with a pipe (don't know the technical name of that device is), so that train couldn't perform at full capacity. On several seats (including mine), they had to to some sort of manual lock which caused even more of a delay since they also had to unlock them manually to depart. On top of all that, it looked HORRIBLE in general. You think the trains in use would get a halfway decent touch up before putting them in operation. I understand with extending the seasons it leaves less time to refurb and such in the shorter off-season. The other trains may be out getting their annual refurb. However, it wasn't a good look. I guess I finally get what "Have a Six Flags Day" really means now...lol

Also, I finally rode Great American Scream Machine after a 20-year hiatus (last went in November and was closed for the season, and before that May 2008 when the park was slammed so skipped it for new to me credits at that time). I wouldn't care if they tore that contraption down if they are just going to continue to run it as is. It needs a major rehab. Whether that be complete retracking or complete rebuild if necessary. They worked on a couple sections in the off season, but it did nothing for the enjoyment of the ride (unless it was considerably worse before, which I dread the thought and am glad I didn't get to ride it last time I was there). I know them putting the Georgia Cyclone trains on it has contributed to it's roughness. I had seen many people claiming it had gotten quite bad and blew them off to being overly sensitive. At least now IMO, I agree with them. I'm sure some will say they like it as is. Well more power to you and keep on riding while I head back to Twisted Cyclone....lol

How were the crowds at the end of the day? I'll probably just be there from like 5:30-8. Thanks for the thorough update! Not surprised at all to hear that construction/painting is going so slow.