TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

They've probably changed the way they do things since I've worked there BUT during my employment at the park I learned that every ride is given a 'level' in terms of operating in the rain.

Level A rides (Acrophobia, Superman, Mind Bender, Goliath, Superman, Blue Hawk, Scorcher and more than likely Dare Devil Dive, Joker, and Sky Screamer) close at any hint of rainfall. This is because of either the type of ride (Sky Screamer, Sky Buckets), the height of the ride (Acro), or the fact that the brake runs are uncovered (Superman, Mind Bender etc.).

Level B Rides (Scream Machine, Batman, The Former Georgia Cyclone and some others) will operate in the rain because their brake runs are covered, but they will close for heavy rain to prevent issues with the brakes not functioning properly because of the wet parts on the trains.

Level C Rides (I believe the Mine Train was/is the only Level C coaster in the park but there may be a few other rides with this level) will only close if there is a severe storm in the area. I never understood this myself but I guess they have their reasons.

And Level D Rides (Monster Mansion, Justice League, etc) pretty much stay open unless its a serious emergency like a tornado or something like that.

There are employees that constantly monitor the weather radar in the area, so they'll shut down the Level A (and sometimes Level B) rides minutes before the rain even starts. They are also usually pretty good with re-opening the rides once the weather clears - as long as there's no other weather threats in the area.

Hope this helps.

They've probably changed the way they do things since I've worked there BUT during my employment at the park I learned that every ride is given a 'level' in terms of operating in the rain.

Level A rides (Acrophobia, Superman, Mind Bender, Goliath, Superman, Blue Hawk, Scorcher and more than likely Dare Devil Dive, Joker, and Sky Screamer) close at any hint of rainfall. This is because of either the type of ride (Sky Screamer, Sky Buckets), the height of the ride (Acro), or the fact that the brake runs are uncovered (Superman, Mind Bender etc.).

Level B Rides (Scream Machine, Batman, The Former Georgia Cyclone and some others) will operate in the rain because their brake runs are covered, but they will close for heavy rain to prevent issues with the brakes not functioning properly because of the wet parts on the trains.

Level C Rides (I believe the Mine Train was/is the only Level C coaster in the park but there may be a few other rides with this level) will only close if there is a severe storm in the area. I never understood this myself but I guess they have their reasons.

Awesome information!!!!!!!

Woooow! This was great information!!!!!

And Level D Rides (Monster Mansion, Justice League, etc) pretty much stay open unless its a serious emergency like a tornado or something like that.

There are employees that constantly monitor the weather radar in the area, so they'll shut down the Level A (and sometimes Level B) rides minutes before the rain even starts. They are also usually pretty good with re-opening the rides once the weather clears - as long as there's no other weather threats in the area.

Hope this helps.

I still cannot get enough of this view! The colors are fantastic! And with this past Sunday being on the wet side, the park was a ghost town, making un-cluttered shots possible. Curiously, there is a tropical storm flag atop the loading area building. I would think they would want a 'hurricane' (two stacked identical flags) to promote the (what is sure to be) ride's intensity. But - by definition, a 'cyclone' can refer to a tropical storm, a hurricane, or even a typhoon.

TC is scheduled to open to the public Memorial Day weekend. I have to believe the ride will open the weekend of May 19-20th as a preview to membership holders as one of the perks. If that is true, Media Day will be a few days prior to that. Oh, the anticipation!!

You think it will only open that weekend for membership holders? Not for pass holders? I'm going on the 19th so that would be cool if it was!

Being a SP holder myself, I would welcome a preview weekend much like Justice League last year. But with the push for memberships now, and reading the materials regarding the membership levels, one clear stated benefit of membership was early access to new rides. It looks to be a wait and see whether SP holders will be included but it seems likely there will be a preview or soft opening of some sort.

Quick question regarding Twisted Cyclone...

We know that the hill following the overbank after the wave turn has been strongly defined, however, I've heard that following their will be a double up ascending into that same overbank (following the wave turn)?

^ Wow. That thing looks like it carries a lot of speed throughout the course.

Dang, I just missed it by a few hours. They were doing a lot of structural work earlier, including tightening bolts, etc. Can’t wait for this to open in a few weeks.

^ Wow. That thing looks like it carries a lot of speed throughout the course.

Dang, I just missed it by a few hours. They were doing a lot of structural work earlier, including tightening bolts, etc. Can’t wait for this to open in a few weeks.

I agree even up into the side bank into the brake run! It looks like it's going to actually yank riders through the course! Awesome job Alan! Coaster addict has also posted it on YouTube. See the hd version here (skip to 1:28-2:12) :

I was at the park yesterday too. TC looks great! I was working in Atlanta this week so I thought I'd visit. It's been nearly 4 years since my last visit. I've been to every US 6 Flags park, and this one holds the record for the work ride operation. Yesterday was bad since there was at least 30 school buses with bands there. The worst ride operations was at Dare Devil Dive, not so much because of the rideops but the ride. Each train / car holds only 6 people. Between all the flash pass guests and "fat boy bounces" the line barely moves.

One new thing I noticed, was the flash pass watches. None of the 6 Flag parks I've been to this year has had them. The others use the normal device. I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus. I'll be back again today, with hopefully better results. Although, I'm not holding my breath.

We used the "watch" style fast lane when we went last month. If they can work the bugs out of it, they would be great. We kept having issues with picking a ride. It was complicated and not as straight forward as the clip on style of fast lane we are accustomed to.

Did we know SFOG was switching to Q-bands? I wonder why they made the change. It'll be annoying if it turns out to be a downgrade to the experience. But I guess what really matters is that you're ultimately able to make use of them.

Just wanted to post about my visit today at SFOG. The "A team" was working today on the rides and food services. A definitely much better experience. A few rides were down (sky screamer and sky buckets) because of the wind. That's not their fault. I think TC - Twisted Cyclone is going to be a lot of fun. I wish it was open for my visit. Looks like a RMC job!

Cyclone looking fabulous.

What's the story on the flash pass watches? More details? Photos perhaps? I have full intentions of using FP at this park (if need be) when I visit later this season.

^ I don't have FP pictures. The users get a watch instead of the normal device. The FP rideops have a small tablet they use. It's too rich for my blood, although I have the season pass flash pass for Magic Mountain (my home park). I'm sure I won't like it since I don't wear my glasses when riding (I'm far sighted), that watch screen is sooo small compared to the devices. I have trouble with the old devices in the dark.

I'm thinking of heading down to the park directly before Holiwood Nights... I would probably do SFOG Tuesday/Wednesday, and take my time making it back up to Holiday World for HWN. Years ago I did this same trip, probably more than once, but can't remember how crowded SFOG is that week. Unfortunately they're only open until 7pm those days.. but I always seemed to get a great amount of rides and re-rides on my favorite (and the reason I would be going), Mind Bender. Have both trains been running?

What's the story on the flash pass watches? More details? Photos perhaps? I have full intentions of using FP at this park (if need be) when I visit later this season.

I believe they look something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And there are various "stations" around the park where you can go and put your wristband up to it, and select a ride to reserve. Your watch will display a name, and a time you can ride. When that time rolls around you scan your watch at the ride, and on you go!

(At least that's how the system has worked at other parks... So I'm thinking it would work pretty similarly.)

^Wow, I don't think I was aware of the kiosks for Q-bands. That sounds much easier than the scrolling on the watches I'd imagined, but a step backwards compared to the Q-Bots. If this is indeed how it works at SFOG I still wonder why.

I don't know if anybody notices this or not but it looks likes they're using the 1st gen RMC trains. It's the way lap bar designed looks like the 1st gen. Here's the picture for comparison.

1st gen

2nd gen

KD%2BTwisted%2BTrain%2BC.jpg

I could be wrong though.