TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Maybe I'm a little biased because my home park is a cedar fair park and I frequent cedar fair parks or any other park for that matter than SixFlags parks. I think coaster should be repainted every 8-12yrs with touch ups in between full on paint jobs.

12 years ago was 2005. Since then the following coasters/major rides have been repainted:

Ninja/Blue Hawk- 2006/2016

Georgia Scorcher- 2007

MindBender- 2008

Batman:The Ride- 2010

Great American Scream Machine- 2010

Acrophobia- 2010

Joker Funhouse Coaster- 2016

Superman:Ultimate Flight- 2017

Mindbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really?

It's trains are nearly 40 years old and built by a manufacturer that went out of business decades ago. If its running one train you can almost guarantee that if you look inside the storage shed the other train will be in some stage of disassembly. Maybe the next project will be to finally get new trains for it like SFMM did for Revolution in 2016.

Super man was a two hour wait with two trains. I'm not understanding the fact the SixFlags chain have the most rides with duel stations and never use them and why are we manually unlocking trains on a modern b&m flyer.?

The park supposedly was working on getting both stations/all three trains operational again this year. Maybe the budget was cut for it? I'm guessing the issues with the trains could be the fact they are essentially prototype trains.

I may get murdeted for this but I think SFOG can take a year off and work on more infrastructure and freshen uo the rides. As for operations, you would think employees enjoy their job but they have no sense of urgency. I did when I worked at Carowinds for 4yrs in my younger days. We were pumping trains out on top gun with no problem.

To be fair their operations were like that back then too. They were decent last Thursday overall, but were better several years ago. While Carowinds had excellent operations last year when I visited on Fury/Intimidator/Afterburn the rest of the rides were average at best. Hurler for example was running one train and had like eight operators in the station and it was still taking them several minutes to send out a train.

I do agree that I would like to see them making several improvements to their current rides. When they announced Hurricane Harbor in 2014 they said it was the first of a multi year expansion plan. 2018 would be year 5 of that plan so maybe 2019 will be the year they can do some smaller improvements throughout the park?

Mindbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really?

It's trains are nearly 40 years old and built by a manufacturer that went out of business decades ago. If its running one train you can almost guarantee that if you look inside the storage shed the other train will be in some stage of disassembly. Maybe the next project will be to finally get new trains for it like SFMM did for Revolution in 2016.

Mind Bender has had new parts made for it's trains several times in the past 40 years. As have Shockwave at SFOG, Montezooma's Revenge at Knott's, etc. etc. None of whats on those trains is from 1978. The new trains on sooperdooperLooper at Hersheypark are not exact clones, but they are their 3rd set of trains.

Exact parts can be made long after a manufacture has closed up shop. One train running on Mind Bender is poor operations and your $70 season pass going to work. If season passes were appropriately priced, Six Flags would have better operations. You get what you pay for. It's give and take with Six Flags. Good on some points, bad on others. We can't get everything all the time when they let us in the park for next to nothing.

The new trains on Revolution at SFMM: the chassis and lap bars are exact duplicates of the original (just like Mind Bender) but the seating, headrests and shells (which are all one piece) are total dollar store specials. It would be very sad to see such cheap things running on Mind Bender.

One thing that makes Schwarzkopf loopers so special is the simple seating they came with. Nice smooth and nearly completely flat seats you can slide around in. Simple padded sides, and a fiberglass frame which is properly mounted to the chassis - resulting in little to no vibration.

Six Flags has faithfully reproduced these parts over the years for Mind Bender and Shockwave. As an avid Schwarzkopf fan, I can also confirm Whizzer (although different seating) has had it's train parts replaced very faithfully over the years. These parks treasure their classic Anton rides, and rightfully so. There were only a handful made.

With Revolution, they did a great job on the chassis and lap bars, but the seating is buckety and molded along the sides. It feels more like an RMC than a Schwarzkopf. The shell and headrest vibrate because it's all one piece and just feels cheap. That type of seating is ok on an RMC ride, but not on a ride that is known for it's comfort and simpleness.

And a little more input. Whizzer has 5 trains. 2 or 3 trains are on the track and transfer, while the other 2 or 3 are in the shop. They are continually on a long-term rehab rotation. Everything is taken apart; parts are swapped out for refurbishment or complete replacement with newly produced reproduction parts. This can be expensive and takes time. Every year, they have 2 complete trains ready for operation. A third train is usually out on track or transfer by late spring.

Similar situation with Mind Bender and Shock Wave. Both of those coasters did run 3 trains at one time; I have not seen more than 2 on location for either in a very long time. They both have 3 complete trains, albeit in parts. If you ask another Schwarzkopf fan, they might suggest there are even more trains on each. However, running 2 complete and good-looking trains comes down to budget (parts, etc.) and operational issues.

Friendly suggestion: stop buy Guest Relations and politely let them how you would like to see them improve operations. If you want to tell them (or write a letter) stating how much you like a certain ride (like MB, for example) you can tell them that too. Every little bit counts. Just do it with class and kindness, please.

With every Six Flags thread now wishing their park gets a clone of SFFT's Raptor coaster, how funny would it be if Georgia Cyclone was completely torn down and replaced with a Raptor instead of receiving the I-Box treatment?

I'm wondering the same thing, the way the worded it made it seem like more than one park in the chain is getting one.

Six Flags over Georgia does not need another low-capacity coaster, so I don't see a Raptor ever going in (or at least not anytime soon). Therefore, I'm still leaning towards an actual RMC conversion of GA Cyclone.

It's true that not every footer is marked. However, the only ones that I noticed were marked were the ones that the actual wooden beams were attached to. There were a lot of unused footers that had no markings on them. The exit queue was also marked.

That being said, most evidence is pointing towards a full RMC conversion. With the coaster now closed and the fact that this has followed the trend of other Six Flags parks with RMC-converted coasters, it seems very likely at this point. If they were to tear it down, I would see an S&S Freespin in its spot, but I doubt that at the moment.

Six Flags over Georgia does not need another low-capacity coaster, so I don't see a Raptor ever going in (or at least not anytime soon)

Six Flags has little concern for capacity. They have recently put 4D's in to parks with 3.2M+ visitors(SFGAm and SFGAdv). They are placing a RMC Raptor at SFFT which has even lower capacity than the 4D it got back in 2015. The last 2 coasters at SFFT have capacity fitting of small parks and it's not a small park. They feel it seems waiting is fine and lines may boost fast pass sales.

Edit..mean SFFT not SFMM

Edited by Jobo

Similar situation with Mind Bender and Shock Wave. Both of those coasters did run 3 trains at one time; I have not seen more than 2 on location for either in a very long time. They both have 3 complete trains, albeit in parts. If you ask another Schwarzkopf fan, they might suggest there are even more trains on each. However, running 2 complete and good-looking trains comes down to budget (parts, etc.) and operational issues.

Mindbender's third train was supposedly moved over to Viper when it opened back in 1995.

So went to this morning for some "coaster therapy". While waiting for, what used to be the "rope drop", I checked Georgia Cyclone to see if there was any progress. Anything we could use to say "Yep it's RMC". Well that was a big fat negative. Saw some park maintenance employees working on removing the lower track wheels from the "Twix" branded train in the shed. It appeared that the other original Georgia Cyclone train had been removed already. Another worker was working in the station sounded like they were removing rather large lag bolts with an impact. Oh and some lights have been removed. There wasn't much else to see. They did however board up the entrance and exit in a really cool fashion. Of course I have attached photos...

Was a good trip. Hit all the majors in 2 hours with JBO's on Goliath, 2 on Batman, 2 on GASM, 2 on Blue Hawk and 2 on Superman. Longest wait was DDD and Mindbender...other than that all walk-ons.

1631534212_cycloneentrance.thumb.jpg.10d8ee0d38bed63130c29c19ee2cf2e0.jpg

...of course the entrance...

20170803_100922.thumb.jpg.c4aaf73e580b6158e0b0fefa60942e86.jpg

Thought I might be able to get an inside peek from the exit...and here's the exit.

20170803_100812.thumb.jpg.e25eb9dd9ff8afa6dfb76cf4e70f048e.jpg

Some lights that have been removed...

20170803_100809.thumb.jpg.de09c9a3a69ed029762572c050cce0fd.jpg

...and more lights.

Did Rattler, TX Giant, Cyclone, Roar, Medusa and Colossus keep their original stations when they were IBoxed?? I've been on Goliath, and I'm pretty sure they used Iron Wolfs old station.

I know that Roar/Joker, Medusa and Colossus reused their old stations with some modifications, not sure about the others.

I think all signs truly point to an RMC conversion. The announcement yesterday from SFFT proved that Six Flags and RMC still has a current ongoing relationship in spite of those that thought RMC was only working with Cedar Fair. Also, a recent news article I came across confirmed in an interview with SFoG personnel that the new ride will preserve the same amount of trees that Cyclone has for over 26 years......

Can't help but feel a little nostalgic/sad from those pictures.

I know it had gotten just brutal and that something amazing will most likely be in it's spot next year....but.... I'm old and change is bad

David

Can't help but feel a little nostalgic/sad from those pictures.

I know it had gotten just brutal and that something amazing will most likely be in it's spot next year....but.... I'm old and change is bad

David

I agree. This coaster is the root for a lot of memories for a lot of people. For me, at the age of 9 in 1990, it was my first wooden coaster and in the same day the first coaster I had ever ridden with my dad. I still remember seeing the commercials on TV and being excited but dreading that first drop! It quickly turned into the best drop I'd ever experienced.

I understand that the cost of maintenance is thru the roof and its a smart decision from a business stand point...still doesn't mean that it doesn't suck to lose it in its original glory.