TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Before the all-but-official RMC conversion of GC, I was thinking 2018 could have been repainting GS and a floorless conversion, a la Mantis/Rougarou at Cedar Point... an opportunity for marketing a "new" ride, and high exposure up front, too. Granted, I'd guess it's not a cheap conversion, but surely they are aware load/unload on our GS is the worst one of all the stand ups. (That's for real.)

It doesn't have to be. Several years ago I was there on a day where they were often dispatching one train as the other train was going around the curve between break runs. I was there on Thursday and the crew was stacking trains during test runs after the park shut down due to weather. During one test run they didn't even bring the second train into the station until after the other train had run through the course and had been sitting on the first set of brakes for a couple of minutes. They were too concerned with goofing off with each other.

Speaking of Thursday: What's the point of having all of these Freestyle machines for people to refill their drink bottles if you aren't going to keep them stocked throughout the day?

And while I do hope they repaint Scorcher soon, I would be ecstatic if they finally got Mindbender the ability to have two working trains consistently.

Georgia Cyclone's Last Day Trip Report!

My word I am so exhausted.

It was pretty crowded all day, but I didn't care. I just rode everything I wanted to once and then headed over to Cyclone for its last 2 hours of operation. The crowds that came to ride Cyclone were pretty average all day, with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train. Personally I didn't care as I was almost to the stairs when the line was shut off. I got 4 rides today and 8 the day before so I had gotten my fill. After my last ride, I spent the rest of the ride's operation hanging out in the parent swap area on the platform. Everyone was having a blast. It was really fun to just watch the last cycles from the station. Dale Kaetzel was there as well as some PR people that were taking pictures and filming and all that fun stuff. It was a really fun way to send off the ride.

So how was the ride? Well, it was very visibly in rough shape. It's obvious that Six Flags is ready to put this ride out to pasture. The structure seemed to flex more than it should have, the track had a ton of potholes in it, and the trains were showing really bad signs of poor maintenance. Hell at one point tonight, as a girl was getting into the train, she somehow tripped on the car's fiberglass side decal panel and straight up BROKE IT, so the piece of fiberglass was barely holding on by one screw, and it flapped and rattled as the train went through the course. However, I still really enjoyed all my rides on it this weekend.

Georgia Cyclone is a bit of a special ride for me. It was one of the first big roller coasters I ever rode when I was 7, and I've always been a fan of the ride. It provided some of the most violent airtime anywhere, and I honestly kinda liked how it tossed you around. To quote someone else, it felt like a very "raw and organic" wood coaster experience, not precise and dialed like a GCI or RMC for example, but rather loose and unpredictable. That kind of experience seems to get more and more rare these days, but nonetheless. The fact is that the majority of the general public hated the ride, and it was tearing itself apart in its last years, to the point where I guess Six Flags just didn't want to keep it up anymore, and that's totally fine. I'm REALLY curious to know what RMC could do with this ride. It doesn't seem like they could deviate too much from the original layout since it's so compact, but if any of their current designs are an indicator, the new Georgia Cyclone will probably surprise me.

So yes, I'll miss Georgia Cyclone, but it really was time for it to go. Looking forward to next year.

I took all these photos on my phone. I have a few videos of the very last ride up on my Instagram as well.

IMG_0830.thumb.JPG.f2cb99911147612a1f7860e12132cc5d.JPG

Morning crowds trying to get in. Today was the last day of summer for Cobb county metro schools so the park was packed with a ton of families and their kids.

IMG_0831.thumb.JPG.c4f08a21315c21f2e17835f556f7f4a0.JPG

Safe to say this view will be VERY different next year.

IMG_0832.thumb.JPG.bde78e6e2a0db9382e04c9448335a00a.JPG

The line didn't get much longer than this most of the day.

IMG_0839.thumb.JPG.1c94b5a02212c7731d2227fd9b16b567.JPG

Lining up for my final front row ride. Note the mismatching lap bars...

IMG_0841.thumb.JPG.0721900c645176c68d64016c828811cd.JPG

This was a bittersweet photo to take for me.

IMG_0843.thumb.JPG.44e54aa55dab520d7b41b18ce23be41f.JPG

Ah yes the reason we're all here.

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.d6ca8eadc599da241ebf358d8bd4047d.JPG

Here's the final train just before dispatch. Around 9 pm. Park closed at 8.

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.3ea29fdce0895124e1d2cc6c5ae6749d.JPG

Finally, a parting selfie. So long old friend. Looking forward to your steel-tracked resurrection. =)

Georgia Cyclone's Last Day Trip Report!

My word I am so exhausted.

It was pretty crowded all day, but I didn't care. I just rode everything I wanted to once and then headed over to Cyclone for its last 2 hours of operation. The crowds that came to ride Cyclone were pretty average all day, with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train. Personally I didn't care as I was almost to the stairs when the line was shut off. I got 4 rides today and 8 the day before so I had gotten my fill. After my last ride, I spent the rest of the ride's operation hanging out in the parent swap area on the platform. Everyone was having a blast. It was really fun to just watch the last cycles from the station. Dale Kaetzel was there as well as some PR people that were taking pictures and filming and all that fun stuff. It was a really fun way to send off the ride.

So how was the ride? Well, it was very visibly in rough shape. It's obvious that Six Flags is ready to put this ride out to pasture. The structure seemed to flex more than it should have, the track had a ton of potholes in it, and the trains were showing really bad signs of poor maintenance. Hell at one point tonight, as a girl was getting into the train, she somehow tripped on the car's fiberglass side decal panel and straight up BROKE IT, so the piece of fiberglass was barely holding on by one screw, and it flapped and rattled as the train went through the course. However, I still really enjoyed all my rides on it this weekend.

Georgia Cyclone is a bit of a special ride for me. It was one of the first big roller coasters I ever rode when I was 7, and I've always been a fan of the ride. It provided some of the most violent airtime anywhere, and I honestly kinda liked how it tossed you around. To quote someone else, it felt like a very "raw and organic" wood coaster experience, not precise and dialed like a GCI or RMC for example, but rather loose and unpredictable. That kind of experience seems to get more and more rare these days, but nonetheless. The fact is that the majority of the general public hated the ride, and it was tearing itself apart in its last years, to the point where I guess Six Flags just didn't want to keep it up anymore, and that's totally fine. I'm REALLY curious to know what RMC could do with this ride. It doesn't seem like they could deviate too much from the original layout since it's so compact, but if any of their current designs are an indicator, the new Georgia Cyclone will probably surprise me.

So yes, I'll miss Georgia Cyclone, but it really was time for it to go. Looking forward to next year.

I took all these photos on my phone. I have a few videos of the very last ride up on my Instagram as well.

Thanks!! I really enjoyed your post!

Great report!

with the queue being about half-full at closing time, including a bunch of ACErs that all piled at the very back of the line and waited until the entrance was closed off to line up behind the rest of the queue so they could get on the last train.

Sounds about right...

Mismatching lap bars? That's a new one, haha. Pretty obvious they want to take Old Yeller to the barn.

I haven't been since 2011 but I really enjoyed my rides on Georgia Cyclone. True that it was a bit rough, but that was part of the reason why it produced better airtime than the other cyclone models I've been on.

Like the Racer models being removed, this doesn't really sadden me knowing the future is bright and there are plenty of other Cyclone models still out there to ride.

So, I was thinking with the construction of RMC Cyclone, is there a good chance Georgia Scorcher could get repainted finally since it's pretty much right across the entrance of Cyclone?

Before the all-but-official RMC conversion of GC, I was thinking 2018 could have been repainting GS and a floorless conversion, a la Mantis/Rougarou at Cedar Point... an opportunity for marketing a "new" ride, and high exposure up front, too. Granted, I'd guess it's not a cheap conversion, but surely they are aware load/unload on our GS is the worst one of all the stand ups. (That's for real.)

The ride is so good! It just needs some attention, just like Ninja/Blue Hawk did. Under-rated, IMO.

Fresh paint, two floorless trains, loading station re-do... boom

I don't want them to convert it, the ride is probably the best Stand Up coaster out their. All it needs is a reapint, as for dispatchs, we were their on Wednsedsy and they dispatched our train in under two minutes, next train took like 5, it's more of the GP holding the dispatches up than it is anything else, how people don't understand that you have to STAND on a STAND UP coaster is rather perplexing.

The park offered ACE members the final ride and that is why they were being held at the end of the line just before closing, and I appreciated having a way to be on the last public train! Cyclone has always been one of my favorites since I was a small child so it was great to have the final ride. Very bittersweet. I'm embarrassed to say it made me a bit more emotional inside than I anticipated.

Everything SFOGdude25 said is about the same as what I had to say, other than the fact that I was on the last train!

I have an out-side the park video of this, if you're interested. Ha!

I arrived to the park at 20-till closing, and was turned away at the gate at 7:42p. So mad. Instead of riding, I stood between west parking and west ticketing and watched the last hour's worth of cycles. I heard a bunch of cheering, saw some flash-photography, assumed it was the last one, and started the video. Next train was empty, done for the night. Mixed emotions with all that.

Edited by PatrickFHam

I don't want them to convert it, the ride is probably the best Stand Up coaster out their. All it needs is a reapint, as for dispatchs, we were their on Wednsedsy and they dispatched our train in under two minutes, next train took like 5, it's more of the GP holding the dispatches up than it is anything else, how people don't understand that you have to STAND on a STAND UP coaster is rather perplexing.

This is super-bratty thing to say, but I wish I could be in charge of that loading platform for a day and fix their whole system. Seriously, giving an extra 10 seconds to let people settle in properly (after putting their drink bottles in the holder), and THEN locking all rows ONCE, without having to reset half the rows individually would do wonders for that ride's capacity.

I know that's really a know-it-all's perspective, but I really think that would help.

Everything SFOGdude25 said is about the same as what I had to say, other than the fact that I was on the last train!

I have an out-side the park video of this, if you're interested. Ha!

I arrived to the park at 20-till closing, and was turned away at the gate at 7:42p. So mad. Instead of riding, I stood between west parking and west ticketing and watched the last hour's worth of cycles. I heard a bunch of cheering, saw some flash-photography, assumed it was the last one, and started the video. Next train was empty, done for the night. Mixed emotions with all that.

That's really unfortunate! Either an hour or 30 minutes before closing they stop letting people in the park (not sure which). I have managed to go in anyways with the right excuse and enough persistence.

I just seen on Google maps that where Cyclone is it now say The Joker. Would they do this just to mess with people??

Ok, wow. Hahaha!! That's so interesting! I . . . don't even know what to say to that. Somebody over there in the SFoG offices is ON it!

Got to be a joke, since our 'ring of fire' is called "The Joker."

Also, I'd really hope they wouldn't put a Gotham-themed ride outside our own Gotham City. Please no, SFoG.

I just seen on Google maps that where Cyclone is it now say The Joker. Would they do this just to mess with people??

I doubt it will be called that, based on the Superloop across the park. I have encountered examples of Google Maps mixing up the labeling on roses, so my best guess is that it is a mislabeled pin.

I doubt it will be called that, based on the Superloop across the park. I have encountered examples of Google Maps mixing up the labeling on roses, so my best guess is that it is a mislabeled pin.

Someone random person could have sent it into Google also just to troll with people.

The park offered ACE members the final ride and that is why they were being held at the end of the line just before closing, and I appreciated having a way to be on the last public train! Cyclone has always been one of my favorites since I was a small child so it was great to have the final ride. Very bittersweet. I'm embarrassed to say it made me a bit more emotional inside than I anticipated.

Dude I feel you. It didn't quite hit me until the cycling stopped for the evening. I was hanging out on the exit ramp for a few minutes to take some pictures with my camera, and I was so struck by how extra quiet the whole area was. It was a very bittersweet and nostalgic moment knowing that the ride would never run again. It for sure marked the end of a personal era for me.

Also regarding the Google Maps thing, don't obsess over it. The park already has 2 Joker coasters LOL.

Edited by SFOGdude25

Didn't have the chance to type this up until now. Was asleep most of Sunday recovering.

The return train was an hour late. With my Platinum Flash Pass, I had just enough time to get every credit, and nothing else.

Goliath: Crazy story. I didn't see the fluffies (because they were by the regular queue entrance), took my bag (it's like a fanny pack except it's over the shoulder), and the ride ops made me carry it on the ride instead of turning me away and telling me to use the fluffies so I could store it. Really took me by surprise after the Georgia Cyclone ops sent me to the fluffies.

The helix is amazing, the airtime hills were at least strong floater, I didn't feel trims biting much if at all, and the usage of terrain is the best I've seen on a hyper. Were it not for the noticeable (and even audible off-ride) rattle, this would edge out Nitro.

Mindbender: If Revolution traded some of its view (this partially overlooks the parking lot) for a more intense ride, this would be it. A little of everything, even some pops of airtime. Final brake run did not slam me like every other Schwarzkopf. Easily top 20 steel, and second to Ninja at Magic Mountain on my list of "family" coasters.

Blue Hawk: Layout really reminds me of an SLC the way everything is packed together. The restraints save it from being painful. Makes me want to try a "good" SLC. I have yet to ride a Vekoma at a Disney park, but this is probably the best Vekoma I have ridden.

Georgia Scorcher: B&M finally get the stand-up right with Riddler's Revenge and this, and then they stop making stand-ups. Would be very sad to see this converted into a floorless, it wouldn't even measure up to the two sit-down loopers at the park if converted.

Great American Scream Machine: Really good-looking ride, only enhanced by the setting. Buzz bars are always good, got very good floater airtime. Must have gotten a wheel seat, though.

Georgia Cyclone: Glad to have ridden it. Rode backseat, glorious ejector airtime, but nasty bouts of roughness to drag it back down. If it's half as good as the real thing, an NYC day/weekend trip might be in the cards next year (blew the budget getting here in the first place).

Dahlonega Mine Train: First time riding a mine train still with some wood supports and also with a tunnel.

Superman: Yes, I know it's been cloned, but the landscaping sets it above its clones and just ahead of the Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Lost quite a bit of time due to technical difficulties with the nearby fluffies.

Batman: Felt like Batman should.

Joker Funhouse Coaster: A custom(?) kiddie coaster with a surprising sense of speed.

Dare Devil Dive: Better than SpongeBob (not as good as Impulse). Bonus points for the smoothest MCBR I have ever experienced. Why 6-seat cars? Capacity is terrible for a park of this attendance.

The park itself has very good landscaping and charm for a Six Flags park. Better than Magic Mountain and Great Adventure in that regard. Operations were wonky, between Mindbender and Batman having Flash Pass only rows, Scream Machine assigning seats to Flash Pass users, the existence but not use of single rider lines, and having to bring my bag on Goliath. Maintenance could also use improvement (one train only on Mindbender? Georgia Scorcher peeling paint?)

Considering returning next year for the coaster lineup and for Acrophobia and Monster Mansion, making it a must if the RMC rumors come true. Going to spring for a sleeper car, and an extra day off, to make sure I don't get shorted by delays again, and so I can get away with just a Gold Flash Pass.

This is super-bratty thing to say, but I wish I could be in charge of that loading platform for a day and fix their whole system. Seriously, giving an extra 10 seconds to let people settle in properly (after putting their drink bottles in the holder), and THEN locking all rows ONCE, without having to reset half the rows individually would do wonders for that ride's capacity.

I know that's really a know-it-all's perspective, but I really think that would help.

They didn't have to relock our train at all, but the train in front of us they had to relock 3 separate occasions. Little kids I get having issues with the seat, but fully functional adults who have most likely been on a 17 year old ride on multiple occasions need to get it together.

There is a possibilty that the RMC version of Cyclone for 2018 could be themed to The Joker, like the RMC at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. It would not be the best option since the park has two other Joker rides, but this is Six Flags!

The park itself has very good landscaping and charm for a Six Flags park. Better than Magic Mountain and Great Adventure in that regard. Operations were wonky, between Mindbender and Batman having Flash Pass only rows, Scream Machine assigning seats to Flash Pass users, the existence but not use of single rider lines, and having to bring my bag on Goliath. Maintenance could also use improvement (one train only on Mindbender? Georgia Scorcher peeling paint?)

I totally agree. I was there this past Sunday and I was perturbed at the fact you have two front gate coasters that appearance wise they look sketchy and neglected. Maybe I'm a little biased because my home park is a cedar fair park and I frequent cedar fair parks or any other park for that matter than SixFlags parks. I think coaster should be repainted every 8-12yrs with touch ups in between full on paint jobs. The landscape at SFOG and the whole setting of the park is the best in the chain IMO. They definitely need to work on operations. Mibdbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really? Super man was a two hour wait with two trains. I'm not understanding the fact the SixFlags chain have the most rides with duel stations and never use them and why are we manually unlocking trains on a modern b&m flyer.?

I may get murdeted for this but I think SFOG can take a year off and work on more infrastructure and freshen uo the rides. As for operations, you would think employees enjoy their job but they have no sense of urgency. I did when I worked at Carowinds for 4yrs in my younger days. We were pumping trains out on top gun with no problem.

So, I was thinking with the construction of RMC Cyclone, is there a good chance Georgia Scorcher could get repainted finally since it's pretty much right across the entrance of Cyclone?

The ride is so good! It just needs some attention, just like Ninja/Blue Hawk did. Under-rated, IMO.

Fresh paint, two floorless trains, loading station re-do... boom

I'm very lucky to have finally gotten to SFoG last year and gotten rides in on GS and GP before they go away. With that said, GP is one where the conversion is fine with me, though I'd willingly re-ride it. However I agree with you about GS. I LOVED that ride! I'm a pretty big fan of Stanups to begin with, which I know is unpopular, but I was BLOWN AWAY with that one! It was so intense and such a blast, and you just won't get the same thrill on a floorless. Rougarou was a great conversion from Mantis because of how interesting it was, but GS really benefits from being a standup IMO.

Also, I had no problem with the load time. Maybe it was just the day I went, but they were being very efficient and the line moved fast. Blue Hawk was the only long line since they were single training it.