TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

FWIW - Anytime I have asked the Ops at Goliath for a specific row they have always allowed it. So if you're told a specific row, maybe nicely ask and you'll get what you want!

Yup, this has been my experience as well.. for any ride at SFOG for that matter.. Superman assigns seats as well but if you say "I want the back" or whatever, they usually honor that request

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When I went in July, the two days I was there Superman was the only roller coaster that had assigned seating. It was past 10:00 (that was park closing) and we got on Goliath and we stayed in the same spot for three rides in the back row (awesome airtime). It was so pretty seeing the Atlanta skyline in the distance of Goliaths lift hill.

Went to the park on Easter Sunday and had a great time! Acrophobia with the VR was much more interesting than I thought it would be. It does significantly affect loading times, but since there was really no line - we only had to wait one cycle.

A couple of things I noted:

WTF with the Georgia Cyclone??? It had pretty psychotic airtime and would have been a blast if it weren't so brutally rough. Seriously, I'd be fine if it was just completely topper tracked or whatever - I don't think anything needs to be done to the layout because if it didn't feel like your spine was going to shatter it would be one of the best rides there.

Blue Ninja Hawk Bird - SOOOO much more comfortable. It still shuffles quite a bit during the course, but with the vest restraints - it is actually enjoyable - the shuffling doesn't result in bruised ears.

Rode the Super Loop - looks great in that section of the park and they gave a really good ride cycle - three revolutions in each direction. It is, however, pretty low capacity but I guess that is okay for a flat ride.

I still love SFoG's Gotham City - I think it is the best one of all the Six Flags I've been to. The fact that that whole section of the park is actually themed is pretty awesome (plus the MindBender and Batman are both there .) Harley Quinn Spinsanity and the Joker really fill the area out and it looks great.

The Mindbender is still freaking amazing and one of my favorite rides.

The re-themed Kids Area (Justice League) was really well done and I'd forgotten that they added flyers. The fact that said flyers are themed to Wonder Woman make it even better.

The ex-Cotton States and now Metropolis area looks nice and the Justice League building is gorgeous. The poor Scream Machine still sports the Cotton States theming on the building and looks kind of out of place and lonely - but was riding great (on non-wheel seats.) Looks like quite a bit of new wood around the course of the ride.

Goliath was giving great rides with that special breed of "aggressive floater" airtime throughout. It was a little rattly, but still an amazing ride.

We ate at the Sports Bar near Monster Plantation and were very happy with the food and portions. We got the basic dining plan this year and it seemed to work well. Food Service overall is still super slow, but it appears that that has more to do with staffing levels and procedures than the staff.

The staff were, with one exception, excellent. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there and were all pleasant. I guess the B*&$H at the food stand near the front of the park must have been having a bad day (or she was scared someone would drop a house on her sister.)

Overall a great day!! I'll post pictures as soon as I have time to resize them

^Glad you had a great visit!

I agree that Cyclone is an amazing ride. Very intense and full of ejector air. I wish Six Flags would just get RMC to finish the topper track project. It runs so smooth in that section and the smoothness accentuates the airtime. I would love to see it topper tracked and left alone. No RMC reprofile please.

I agree that Ninja is much better now too. The sections that had the track welded are now perfectly smooth. I wish they had Vekoma do a bit more of that in some spots where you still get tossed around, but with the vest restraints it really doesn't matter.

Nice to hear the employees were mostly nice as well. That isn't always the case.

Georgia Cyclone was a major surprise during my visit. I figured it would have some air time, but the amount of ejector air I got in the back caught me off guard. I agree that the layout is great as is and finishing it up with topper track should keep that ride in tip top shape. Though SFNE started with topper track on their Cyclone before going Iron Horse so this could go either way.

Georgia Cyclone was a major surprise during my visit. I figured it would have some air time, but the amount of ejector air I got in the back caught me off guard. I agree that the layout is great as is and finishing it up with topper track should keep that ride in tip top shape. Though SFNE started with topper track on their Cyclone before going Iron Horse so this could go either way.

When I went this summer I HATED IT. I guess I was just too focused on how rough it is. (I was in the middle)

The Mindbender is still freaking amazing and one of my favorite rides.

Mindbender?

Or Mind Bender?

I knew what you meant, just pulling your chain Mind Bender is still my #1 steel coaster, and #3 overall. If I were to rank rides...

^I don't find too many new-ish steel coasters (or woodies for that matter) that hold my attention for that long (my first Mind Bender ride was in 1990)... and the ride seems to get better every time I ride it. Continued returns! I love B&Ms too, but several have been "one and done" for me. I rode Mind Bender over 80 times over 3 days once (the park was dead). THAT is good time!

^I don't find too many new-ish steel coasters (or woodies for that matter) that hold my attention for that long (my first Mind Bender ride was in 1990)... and the ride seems to get better every time I ride it. Continued returns! I love B&Ms too, but several have been "one and done" for me. I rode Mind Bender over 80 times over 3 days once (the park was dead). THAT is good time!

Same. I first rode it in '79 or '80 (when it was new - ugh I feel old.) It absolutely blew my 9 year old self away and it still does today. It still rides wonderfully, is super forceful through the inversions and "2nd loop" downward helix. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing in GCI to re-track Georgia Cyclone and to slap some Millennium Flyers on the ride.

They did a pretty amazing job on the original Cyclone, so this would be pretty great too

I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing in GCI to re-track Georgia Cyclone and to slap some Millennium Flyers on the ride.

It would be nice if GCI came and did that. Has Six Flags ever had GCI fully revamp a coaster? If so how long ago was it?

In reality I don't think it would happen anytime soon. It sure would be nice though.

Same. I first rode it in '79 or '80 (when it was new - ugh I feel old.) It absolutely blew my 9 year old self away and it still does today. It still rides wonderfully, is super forceful through the inversions and "2nd loop" downward helix. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I only rode it once but it was awesome. I can't wait till I can ride it again.

I always felt the roughness was part of the woodie experience. The retracked/topper ones I've ridden while nice, just didn't feel like a woodie.

No way I'll believe the classics from the golden age were smooth like modern topper tracked woodies even when new. I want that nostalgic experience. It's bad enough we've lost so many classics (wood and steel) to maintenance, bankruptcy, and progress (needing the space for new rides).

Cyclone is one of the few rides I've ever been on where I thought "is this thing going to hold together?" It's one thing to have a rough ride, but it's very disconcerting feeling the seats shift laterally away from your feed as you're vibrating along like you're riding a 70s era washing machine with a cinder block in it.

It would be nice if GCI came and did that. Has Six Flags ever had GCI fully revamp a coaster? If so how long ago was it?

In reality I don't think it would happen anytime soon. It sure would be nice though.

Ewww... I'm not a fan of this idea personally. GCI had a tendency to remove many of the best parts (air time) of coasters, especially any noteworthy drops. They have removed a great amount of the airtime on Yankee Cannonball and the small (but wonderful!) kick going over the first drop of Legend is now gone. And we don't need to go in to the Coney/Luna park debacle. Ugh. I mean, those coasters are smoother now, but there is a way to make a woodie smooth with out removing the best bits; you don't have to do both at the same time. Also, those GCI lap bars really PIN you in your seat. I love Mystic Timbers and their new coasters, great and fun rides, but I'm not a fan of of what they do to older rides.

People complain about PTC trains due to the "old design," but that simple 4 running wheel design is what gives many of our favorite woodies their KICK. The lap bars can be a pain, but no trains are perfect. Buzz bars for all! And lose those pesky headrests.

Ewww... I'm not a fan of this idea personally. GCI had a tendency to remove many of the best parts (air time) of coasters, especially any noteworthy drops. They have removed a great amount of the airtime on Yankee Cannonball and the small (but wonderful!) kick going over the first drop of Legend is now gone. And we don't need to go in to the Coney/Luna park debacle. Ugh. I mean, those coasters are smoother now, but there is a way to make a woodie smooth with out removing the best bits; you don't have to do both at the same time. Also, those GCI lap bars really PIN you in your seat. I love Mystic Timbers and their new coasters, great and fun rides, but I'm not a fan of of what they do to older rides.

People complain about PTC trains due to the "old design," but that simple 4 running wheel design is what gives many of our favorite woodies their KICK. The lap bars can be a pain, but no trains are perfect. Buzz bars for all! And lose those pesky headrests.

All they need to do is re-track it and leave the layout alone. Or they could just use a wrecking ball to do its magic.

The VR on Acro was so blurry, I could barely tell what I was looking at. Was there a way to adjust the focal length on those goggles that I just wasn't seeing?

The VR goggles didn't seem to be very popular addition, either. Less than half the people on the ride were using them.

Also, it's a little funny how you keep "falling" for a few seconds after you've hit the brakes. Maybe they designed the animation with Zumanjaro in mind?

I just recently went to the park this weekend and the operations were decent. I noticed scorcher has awful operations and very very bad paint job, which I hope doesn't lead to a floorless. I think this may be the best and most comfortable stand up out there, but if SF were to start converting, I think this one would unfortunately be first. Also, Georgia Cyclone got stuck on the lift hill quite a few times and I didn't ride because the ride is unbearablely rough from all my experience. Please come RMC! I think that the floorless conversion, any kind of RMC, or a S&S 4D coaster will come here next year. I really hope this park also eventually gets a GCI so we can finally have a really good wooden coaster. The GP were crying and shouting on superman, "I want to get off... ahhhhhh!"

Edited by voyage_thrills

I just recently went to the park this weekend and the operations were decent. I noticed scorcher has awful operations and very very bad paint job, which I hope doesn't lead to a floorless. I think this may be the best and most comfortable stand up out there, but

I have to agree with it being the most comfortable...at least of the 3 I've ridden. They should leave it a standup.

...Was there a way to adjust the focal length on those goggles that I just wasn't seeing?

Yes. There is a scroll wheel on the top of the device that allows you to adjust the clarity.

I just recently went to the park this weekend and the operations were decent. I noticed scorcher has awful operations and very very bad paint job, which I hope doesn't lead to a floorless. I think this may be the best and most comfortable stand up out there, but

I have to agree with it being the most comfortable...at least of the 3 I've ridden. They should leave it a standup.

It was my first standup, and I ABSOLUTELY hated it. They need someone to come in and work their magic with a wrecking ball.