TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

If Six Flags Discovery Kingdom can be open year round I see no reason why this park can't do the same. Sure, they get a rare snowstorm every few years, but Great Adventure and St. Louis run the same risk during Holiday in the Park and Six Flags doesn't care.

^I think it has to do with having time for off season maintenance. Since they have added HITP, most coasters are on one train ops in March now with the other train nowhere to be seen. It causes slow long lines on not so busy days. I feel like to be year round they would need to add a train to the fleet for many coasters or expand/alter their maintenance team and processes. Also, believe it or not, the park struggles to be busy on colder March days. I feel like without a major event like Fright Fest and HITP, it is hard for the park to get as many visitors on cooler days.

I don't know if anyone can tell by the pictures, but they removed two game stalls to open up the area in front of JLBFM. They said the snack stands in that area will also get a make over to match the theming of the area. And Dale Kaetzel said the reason Superman is getting just red and blue paint is because the yellow does not hold up well. He also said that the Georgia Scorcher trains have been repainted. It was asked if any other coasters were being repainted and he said not at this time but they know it is needed. They also said that VR will return but it will not be on DDD. They would not say what ride it will be going on.

Thank you for this info!

It's disappointing that Superman won't have its full color scheme, but it is what it is. I'm terrified to think which coaster will be getting the VR handicap this season (probably Blue Hawk).

Scorcher trains should look great with fresh paint and no more ugly Georgia Natural Gas wraps on them, but the track REALLY NEEDS to be painted ASAP. The last repaint was low quality and only lasted one season before chipping apart. They need to sand the entire thing down and do it right. I hope the color doesn't change either because I personally love it.

^I think it has to do with having time for off season maintenance. Since they have added HITP, most coasters are on one train ops in March now with the other train nowhere to be seen. It causes slow long lines on not so busy days. I feel like to be year round they would need to add a train to the fleet for many coasters or expand/alter their maintenance team and processes. Also, believe it or not, the park struggles to be busy on colder March days. I feel like without a major event like Fright Fest and HITP, it is hard for the park to get as many visitors on cooler days.

Year round parks usually do maintenance differently than regular parks.. look at Disney for example. they put a ride on "refurbishment" and have refurbishment schedules when rides need major work such as painting and cleaning and stuff..

From what I have heard and read, year round six flags parks have something similar when a ride will close down for several weeks to be repainted or something..

Trains can be worked on during the week when the park is closed or be worked on in the evening and at night.

I think soon we will see regional parks opening more often with shorter off seasons.. look at Dollywood for example.. they used to be closed 2 or 3 days a week in Oct and they closed early everyday in Oct.. next season they are open more during October than their Christmas festival. They will be open everyday and late everyday in October which is similar to their summer hours.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

^I agree overall, I just think with Six Flags Over Georgia, they are hesitant to expand their operating calendar due to those two components I mentioned. They would definitely need to have a refurbishment schedule. They used to open the first week of March until a few years ago when they pushed it back to the third week, which I could see being due to weather. I remember quite a few cold and empty opening weekends (even two with some snow).

However, last season they were actually too busy their first few weekends. The hype for DDD VR probably played into that, as well as other event promotions they were doing. I only say "too busy" because they were on mostly one train ops with long lines.

Crowd management continues to be the number one issue at our park, stemming from slow operations and low capacity rides, food services, undersized infrastructure, etc.

Sorry, I just kind of took that conversation to a few different places.

^ I also think they are hesitant to expand their season because of the age of the employees. For a very long time (it may be still) Six Flags was the largest employer of teenagers in Atlanta. That being said, during the school year staffing could become an issue.

They still employee mostly teenagers yes.. so they would have to come up with some program to attract college students or something. But during the winter months I'd imagine being open only on the weekend wouldn't matter if highschool students worked there or not

They still employee mostly teenagers yes.. so they would have to come up with some program to attract college students or something. But during the winter months I'd imagine being open only on the weekend wouldn't matter if highschool students worked there or not

I think the park is almost always slightly understaffed for operational cost reasons, but they seem to be just as staffed during the spring, fall and winter so I don't think staffing would be an issue as long as they were sticking to weekend operations only.

From my encounters and general observations, it seems like most of their staff is college aged (whether they are in college or not). I think many college age adults that are not in school use Six Flags as a second job on the weekends.

It would be interesting to see the exact demographics but I don't think staffing is a major concern for them, unlike the horror stories I've heard from Six Flags St. Louis.

What a lot of people are overlooking is that teenagers are much more likely to be okay with temporary employment than adults are. Change to year round, and you'll get some adults interested who wouldn't even apply for seasonal work.

Especially those adults who would want a weekend job for a little extra cash..

I don't know how much 10 weekends that they are currently closed keeps people from working there. If they went to a year round schedule they still won't be open week days, so they will still be relying on mostly young/retired employees.

As for Superman, I'm ok with losing the yellow because of how poorly it holds up, I really hope they change Scorcher's colors when it gets repainted because it looked awful by 2010 when it was repainted in 2007.

Change to year round, and you'll get some adults interested who wouldn't even apply for seasonal work.

Exactly.

They used to open the first week of March until a few years ago when they pushed it back to the third week

This year they're opening on March 11th. Did they push it back up?

Also, believe it or not, the park struggles to be busy on colder March days. I feel like without a major event like Fright Fest and HITP, it is hard for the park to get as many visitors on cooler days.

I would think this would be the big issue. If the park was slower in January, February and March then that would be a great time to rehab trains or take some rides down for scheduled maintenance if they couldn't do it during the week. I would think if they thought staying open year round would be profitable then they would do it. They weren't afraid to pull the trigger on Discovery Kingdom, I wouldn't be shocked if they did the same at SFOG.

Change to year round, and you'll get some adults interested who wouldn't even apply for seasonal work.

Exactly.

They used to open the first week of March until a few years ago when they pushed it back to the third week

Also, believe it or not, the park struggles to be busy on colder March days. I feel like without a major event like Fright Fest and HITP, it is hard for the park to get as many visitors on cooler days.

I would think this would be the big issue. If the park was slower in January, February and March then that would be a great time to rehab trains or take some rides down for scheduled maintenance if they couldn't do it during the week. I would think if they thought staying open year round would be profitable then they would do it. They weren't afraid to pull the trigger on Discovery Kingdom, I wouldn't be shocked if they did the same at SFOG.

Discovery Kingdom doesn't get any snow ever, while Atlanta usually gets at least one (small) snowstorm or ice storm each year

I’ve been on opening day for the last three seasons straight. As best as I recall, March 11th is the same weekend they’ve opened the last couple of years. I’m positive about the last two, 2014 is a little fuzzier.

Does anyone know the future for this park? I'm guessing a RMC, S&S 4D, GCI, and launched coaster. I really think this park should get a GCI. I also possibly see them getting a B&M Wing or Dive. Anyone agree?

I think they need a Major Waterpark Expansion and Some adult flat rides first.