TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

If you have a season pass refill bottle can you just walk into a hydration station and fill it? I ask because I noticed people with coke wristbands on. What are those for?

Yes, you can just bypass the line/cashier and do your own refill at all three Coke Freestyle locations. Just be courteous to the crowd. On busy days, the free refill at those locations can save you when it takes over 30 minutes often to get through the line at any food location. Last season I ended up waiting 70 minutes to order a meal. If I was just trying to get a refill I would've lost my mind.

Do we have any idea what week the park will be open for spring break 2017? I just found out I'll be back in Georgia in April.

The dates people have mentioned above (first week of April) should be correct. Two or three years ago, the main two counties that visit SFOG had their Spring Breaks on different weeks so the park was open both weeks and that was better, but it has since gone back to one week and is mobbed. It will be painfully busy so I would say just get there before opening if possible for easy entry and Flash Pass retrieval, get Platinum Flash Pass like you mentioned, and still be ready to wait a long time for food.

Refill your SF free refill cup at the three Coke Freestyle locations to avoid waiting for drink refills.

With Flash Pass, you will be assigned the back two rows on Batman and the middle of the train on GASM, so if you want to ride those in preferred seats you would have to hit them early (assuming the process doesn't change). If you get the double ride wristband, be prepared for people in line to scream at you and possibly assault you (both have happened to me LOL).

^ Yeah I did a platinum pass during my visit in April and I had a fantastic day. I did doublerides constantly (sorry I paid $110 for this wristband yall!) and got some dirty looks but nothing more. It wasnt mobbed but it was comfortably busy and I didnt wait for a thing (except the clusterf*ck at Dare Devil Dive). I wont be in town til the 22nd weekend, so it might have to be on a Saturday or Sunday. I'll be there for a wedding so still trying to figure out if a visit is even doable. Would love to visit SFOG again (was planning HITP 2017) even if for a half day for Mindbender, Goliath, Acro, GASM, and Superman rides. And to check out Blue Hawk and get the kiddie Joker coaster and Scorcher creds.

Do we have any idea what week the park will be open for spring break 2017? I just found out I'll be back in Georgia in April.

The dates people have mentioned above (first week of April) should be correct. Two or three years ago, the main two counties that visit SFOG had their Spring Breaks on different weeks so the park was open both weeks and that was better, but it has since gone back to one week and is mobbed. It will be painfully busy so I would say just get there before opening if possible for easy entry and Flash Pass retrieval, get Platinum Flash Pass like you mentioned, and still be ready to wait a long time for food.

Refill your SF free refill cup at the three Coke Freestyle locations to avoid waiting for drink refills.

With Flash Pass, you will be assigned the back two rows on Batman and the middle of the train on GASM, so if you want to ride those in preferred seats you would have to hit them early (assuming the process doesn't change). If you get the double ride wristband, be prepared for people in line to scream at you and possibly assault you (both have happened to me LOL).

We had a Platnium Flash Pass on the 10th and they let us choose which row we wanted on Batman, I'm not sure if it's a new thing because that was the first time I've seen them not assign the back rows.

We had a Platnium Flash Pass on the 10th and they let us choose which row we wanted on Batman, I'm not sure if it's a new thing because that was the first time I've seen them not assign the back rows.

^ Yeah I did a platinum pass during my visit in April and I had a fantastic day. I did doublerides constantly (sorry I paid $110 for this wristband yall!) and got some dirty looks but nothing more. It wasnt mobbed but it was comfortably busy and I didnt wait for a thing (except the clusterf*ck at Dare Devil Dive). I wont be in town til the 22nd weekend, so it might have to be on a Saturday or Sunday. I'll be there for a wedding so still trying to figure out if a visit is even doable. Would love to visit SFOG again (was planning HITP 2017) even if for a half day for Mindbender, Goliath, Acro, GASM, and Superman rides. And to check out Blue Hawk and get the kiddie Joker coaster and Scorcher creds.

Well I hope you get the chance to go! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Scorcher! I don't want to overhype it but I absolutely HATED Green Lantern at SFGAdv (which is funny because I didn't mind it as Chang at SFKK back in the day, but I was young) but I LOVE Scorcher. I hope it never gets the floorless convert because I've been on most stand ups and that's the only one I genuinely like, and I actually love it. Great layout, pacing, and solid airtime in a few spots especially riding in the back row left side.

^Interesting! I'm glad to hear that. If they could do the same for GASM that would be great!

I know!! Of the two rows they have roped off for GASM the first one is a lot smoother than the second one.

Very true! Never ride in the third row of any car on GASM. It ruins the ride. It actually really bums me out that 1/3rd of riders come off the ride with a painful and negative experience when it's in fact a great coaster in the other 2/3rds of the train.

This Saturday I'm visiting for the first time and trying to get as many (hopefully all) the credits I can. Any recommendations for how to plan my day? I know DDD and Goliath will probably have the longest lines (especially with VR for DDD) but beyond that, any recommendations?

Also, since it's the second weekend of Fright Fest, are crowds usually higher than usual? I'm on the fence about getting a Flash Pass since I'm not sure when I'll realistically be able to get back to SFOG but if crowds are going to be light or average, I might not waste my money if one isn't needed.

This Saturday I'm visiting for the first time and trying to get as many (hopefully all) the credits I can. Any recommendations for how to plan my day? I know DDD and Goliath will probably have the longest lines (especially with VR for DDD) but beyond that, any recommendations?

Also, since it's the second weekend of Fright Fest, are crowds usually higher than usual? I'm on the fence about getting a Flash Pass since I'm not sure when I'll realistically be able to get back to SFOG but if crowds are going to be light or average, I might not waste my money if one isn't needed.

You will probably need a flash pass. Even if the lines aren't that bad, if this is your one visit in the foreseeable future, it is worth it. Especially considering how bad ops have been at SFOG this season.

I've outlined the perfect way to get through the park without Flash Pass in this thread before a few times. If you want to search for it, it will help. I will tell you normally the gates open 30 minutes early and usually both Cyclone and Scorcher are open at that time. Once the rope drops by Scorcher at opening, go straight to Dare Devil Dive if it is running. If you don't do this the line will be at least two hours but likely more. I've seen it go over 5 hours at which point they ditched the VR. Apparently the ops have improved but it is still a painfully slow line that will eat away at your day.

If Superman is one train you want to hit that early too.

Don't miss out on Acrophobia or Monster Mansion. Both very unique. There are 3 Coke Freestyle locations for easy drink filling if you have/get the souvenir cup. Thunder River is great but closed since they use it for a haunt. Sit in the first or second row of any of the cars on Great American Scream Machine. Cyclone is awesome in the front of the last car if you can handle a bit of a rough ride. The ejector airtime back there is insane.

Goliath doesn't usually have too bad of a line but still hit it early and again later. You will probably want to ride more than once. Back row is my fave but trying front and back is what I would suggest. It's my favorite B&M hyper and I've been on all of them in the U.S. so hopefully you like it too! Solid airtime. Mind Bender is also one to try both front and back. Great coaster!!!

You will probably need a flash pass. Even if the lines aren't that bad, if this is your one visit in the foreseeable future, it is worth it. Especially considering how bad ops have been at SFOG this season.

I've outlined the perfect way to get through the park without Flash Pass in this thread before a few times. If you want to search for it, it will help. I will tell you normally the gates open 30 minutes early and usually both Cyclone and Scorcher are open at that time. Once the rope drops by Scorcher at opening, go straight to Dare Devil Dive if it is running. If you don't do this the line will be at least two hours but likely more. I've seen it go over 5 hours at which point they ditched the VR. Apparently the ops have improved but it is still a painfully slow line that will eat away at your day.

Don't miss out on Acrophobia or Monster Mansion. Both very unique. There are 3 Coke Freestyle locations for easy drink filling if you have/get the souvenir cup. Thunder River is great but closed since they use it for a haunt. Sit in the first or second row of any of the cars on Great American Scream Machine. Cyclone is awesome in the front of the last car if you can handle a bit of a rough ride. The ejector airtime back there is insane.

Goliath doesn't usually have too bad of a line but still hit it early and again later. You will probably want to ride more than once. Back row is my fave but trying front and back is what I would suggest. It's my favorite B&M hyper and I've been on all of them in the U.S. so hopefully you like it too! Solid airtime. Mind Bender is also one to try both front and back. Great coaster!!!

Oh thanks for the tips! I'll definitely go back through the thread to see more of what you wrote. I'm determined to do DDD once for the VR but probably not again because I've been on nearly identical coasters at other parks already so I'll probably bang that out and move on. Same for Superman and Batman, I've been on their twins at other Six Flags parks so I'm not nearly as worried about hopping on them first; but I do quite like your plan of action that you outlined.

I think you sold me on getting a Flash Pass so that'll make the trip easier. Now to just choose regular or gold...

And I'll definitely let you know what I think of both Goliath and the park!

I am certain crowds will be heavier with it being Fright Fest but here is a report from my trip on a crowded Saturday back in April utilizing a platinum FP.

Oh thanks for the tips! I'll definitely go back through the thread to see more of what you wrote. I'm determined to do DDD once for the VR but probably not again because I've been on nearly identical coasters at other parks already so I'll probably bang that out and move on. Same for Superman and Batman, I've been on their twins at other Six Flags parks so I'm not nearly as worried about hopping on them first; but I do quite like your plan of action that you outlined.

I think you sold me on getting a Flash Pass so that'll make the trip easier. Now to just choose regular or gold...

And I'll definitely let you know what I think of both Goliath and the park!

I always go for platinum when visiting an out of state SF park (unless it isn't busy of course) but Gold would likely be enough even on a very busy day!

I would actually suggest doing DDD without VR if you only do it once (so you can experience the ride itself without distractions) unless you are really interested in trying VR. It's a decent ride with surprising forces in a few spots but it is very short and nothing overly exciting so one and done is fine. Superman is worth riding once just because it was custom designed for SFOG and uses the terrain very well making it superior to the clones that came after it.

Anyways, I'm excited to hear about your visit! I hope you enjoy it!

Time to get a down and dirty trip report/update out of the way!

For a first visit, I quite liked SFOG. I wasn't blown away by the park, but it had a very nice charm to it that is very hard to find at other Six Flags parks. I have Mindbender and Goliath tied for my favorite ride of the day. Monster Mansion was delightfully campy and confusing, and Blue Hawk was surprisingly not as bad as expected. Operations were pretty awful all day, though, which was disappointing. Scorcher was letting trains go once every 5-7 minutes so, despite two train operations, the standby wait was well over an hour most of the day. Superman's operations were about the same with two trains being stacked for 4-5 minutes at a time, artificially inflating the wait to obnoxious proportions.

As far as Fright Fest goes, I was both disappointed and surprisingly happy.

The scarezones were, collectively, awful. Big Top Terror was the only one with more than three or four scareactors roaming around; the one between Cyclone and Acrophobia had one poor woman all night, while the random Biker themed one by Snakewater Falls had exactly 0 scaractors the two times we ventured through. Subterrestrial had a great location but lacked the amount of fog needed to make it 'spooky', and the Cemetery by Dahlonega Mine Train themed well, had a decent amount of characters, but was too short to actually provide any scares.

The "premium" attractions, on the other hand, were mostly good.

Mummy's Tomb was awful. It took our group all of 25 seconds to walk at a normal pace from entrance to exit, and it was not at all "pitch black" like they advertise. Definitely skip this if you need to.

Likewise, Last Ride seemed completely awful. I say seemed because we didn't actually do it. From what we could see, you just lay in a coffin, they close the lid, and it shakes around for a minute or two. We walked by 8 or so times throughout the day and no one was ever even near this "attraction". Definitely seems like a missed opportunity, Six Flags.

Terror Train was campy, fun, and surprisingly well done. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a bit low on the scare meter, but our guides on the train were very funny and there were some fun, and campy, b-movie vibes throughout the whole thing.

Dr. Frights Frightorium 3D was...fine. The 3D was obviously an afterthought and, for the most part, was not used to any great effect. The whole house was pretty long but very haphazard, randomly jumping between thematically disconnected rooms without any through-line for the story. Overall fun, but forgettable. Do try to be near the front of the group, though, because there is a fantastic scene with some twins that is a must see, but is easily missed if you aren't at the head of the line.

Bayou Bloodlust was pretty great. There were two preshow scenes with two incredibly talented and dedicated actresses that gave us a surprising amount of backstory and context for the whole maze. The setting in the woods around the river rapids was used to great effect and there are some fantastic animatronics throughout (just...not the werewolves).

ZX-1 was by far the standout of the night for me. They made sure to keep groups completely separate (resulting in long waits, boo) which added to the experience. Set in the old theater in Gotham, this whole maze was cut off from the rest of the park in such a way as to lend an air of authenticity to the whole "post-infection refuge/medical station" theme. A theatrical scene at the beginning gets the adrenaline pumping and the multiple misdirections, dead ends, and route changes during this scene were surprising and fun. A strong maze from beginning to end, this one is crawling with "infected" around every corner. Indeed, there were so many in the final scene that they managed to completely separate our group from each other and chase us all to the exit in different ways.

Overall, Fright Fest was fun. Definitely not the best or most polished Halloween attraction I've been to, but worthwhile for the most part. They *really* need to work on line control, though. The Frightorium employees didn't even know where the VIP line was supposed to be, and there was no one policing the merge point between standby and VIP lines resulting in a bottleneck and a bit of squabbling between guests. Other attractions just flat out ignored the standby line in favor of VIP, and most queues were incredibly haphazard and erratic.

I enjoyed my whole day at SFOG and, despite a few complaints about park operations, I think it's a great park. I'm glad I got to drop by and will certainly head back if I'm ever in the area again.

That's interesting you didn't see many scareactors.. I was told and under the impression they had the most this year, they have ever had.. and last year they had a lot!!! They have been advertising, via their emails, about how many monsters they will have this year!

I assume the mummy's tomb is in the old Dracula haunt house.. that's depressing because it is very small.. I was hoping they where updating DR frights haunted house to the mummy's..

Is dr frights maze back to creepy dr Fright stuff or is it the cheesy kids again? Trying to decide if I'll be buying a wrist band next weekend when I am there lol

The VIP line is new so I figured it wouldn't work very well this year.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Getting ready to head to SFOG Saturday for the first time. Last year we got rained out. Hoping for a better trip this year. I went ahead and got Platnium Flash Pass. I'll only have about 6 hours in the park, hopefully I'll be able to get on all the major coasters at least once.

That's interesting you didn't see many scareactors.. I was told and under the impression they had the most this year, they have ever had.. and last year they had a lot!!! They have been advertising, via their emails, about how many monsters they will have this year!

The mazes were decently staffed, the scarezones just were not. Like I said, one had no one it in, another had literally one woman all night. A few had a scattering of 4-6 but that's sadly it.

I assume the mummy's tomb is in the old Dracula haunt house.. that's depressing because it is very small.. I was hoping they where updating DR frights haunted house to the mummy's..

It was! The Emergency Exit map on the outside of the building still said Dracula on it lol

Is dr frights maze back to creepy dr Fright stuff or is it the cheesy kids again? Trying to decide if I'll be buying a wrist band next weekend when I am there lol

I don't have any basis for what it used to be but for me it definitely wasn't "cheesy kids" to me. It's 3D so there are a lot of blacklights and colors and stuff, but it is sufficiently creepy and seems pretty dark in tone. There are a few parts that may be "funhouse-y" to people (moving floor tiles, distorted and colorful hallways), but overall it seemed pretty mature.

As for the wristband, I'd honestly pay the extra $10 and get a VIP wristband. The line management was so bad you might actually have a hard time getting all the premium attractions done in a night depending on when you go.

I noticed on the park website today that the park appears to be operating on weekends only continuously between now and the end of the year. As I recall, last year they shut down for a couple of weeks in November after FF and before HITP started. Interesting to see them make that change and selfishly I like that they’re moving toward a more consistent, nearly year-round schedule. Hopefully I can visit on one of those November weekends for, what I presume will be, very light crowds.

The mazes were decently staffed, the scarezones just were not. Like I said, one had no one it in, another had literally one woman all night. A few had a scattering of 4-6 but that's sadly it.

It was! The Emergency Exit map on the outside of the building still said Dracula on it lol

I don't have any basis for what it used to be but for me it definitely wasn't "cheesy kids" to me. It's 3D so there are a lot of blacklights and colors and stuff, but it is sufficiently creepy and seems pretty dark in tone. There are a few parts that may be "funhouse-y" to people (moving floor tiles, distorted and colorful hallways), but overall it seemed pretty mature.

As for the wristband, I'd honestly pay the extra $10 and get a VIP wristband. The line management was so bad you might actually have a hard time getting all the premium attractions done in a night depending on when you go.

Thanks for the update, I go every year so I plan to be there nxt weekend

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk