TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Have you been to Gotham at SFOG? It's definitely more immersive than SFOT and honesty Mind Bender is as good as Mr. Freeze and more unique/historic. I have no doubt SFOT has more thrills in their Gotham City but that's about it. Coming from someone who has been to and loves both parks.

Having been to both parks in the last 2 weeks, I still give the edge to SFOG. Although I loved Mr. Freeze, give me Mindbender anyday. I do think SFOT gets the edge in terms of flat rides, but I enjoy the scenery of SFOG better. Plus the Flash Pass line of OG's batman doesn't take you through a sketcky back area where you think you might actually need Batman to protect you

SFOG is offering the all season flash pass which is good from now to the end of 2017 for only $250. Thats a pretty good deal since its the gold level pass.

Is anyone thinking about doing this? I've never used the Flash Pass system at SFOG since I'm there at least a couple of times a month but the current $250 price point has me seriously considering it.

I'm assuming it's the regular flash pass?? If so, it's not worth it, as it really doesn't cut your wait time down. Now if it was gold or Platnium I would say go for it, but the regular, not so much.

It's the Gold pass.

I can't remember when does the park shut down Thunder River?? I usually wait after the summer, to make my annual fright fest trips and it's always shut down by then, but I'm going this Saturday, I know the water park closes on the 18th for the season, so will Thunder River shut down then?? It's supposed to be 90 this Saturday so I'm praying to Jesusbuddahalah that it's open.

I went on an early Sat in Sept a few years ago and it was open still.. I'd imagine it's last day will be the 18th with the water park. The only reason they close it is for a haunted maze.. I have even seen splash water falls run on warm fright fest days.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I can't remember when does the park shut down Thunder River?? I usually wait after the summer, to make my annual fright fest trips and it's always shut down by then, but I'm going this Saturday, I know the water park closes on the 18th for the season, so will Thunder River shut down then?? It's supposed to be 90 this Saturday so I'm praying to Jesusbuddahalah that it's open.

I went on an early Sat in Sept a few years ago and it was open still.. I'd imagine it's last day will be the 18th with the water park. The only reason they close it is for a haunted maze.. I have even seen splash water falls run on warm fright fest days.

I figured that to since the water park is open, but nope it's drained and closed for the season, which sucks because it's hot as hades today.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc8ca3e1615e2e2b2afefecdd9da182f.jpeg

^That sucks. It's such a great ride and I was hoping to ride it again this season. They used to always have it open. I remember when I was younger marathoning it when the temps were in the high 40s. I would never be dumb enough to do that now but considering it is in the 90s today it would be really nice if it was open lol.

^That sucks. It's such a great ride and I was hoping to ride it again this season. They used to always have it open. I remember when I was younger marathoning it when the temps were in the high 40s. I would never be dumb enough to do that now but considering it is in the 90s today it would be really nice if it was open lol.

It really does suck, because my other two vists this year were at the start when it wasn't open yet. So I haven't gotten to ride it all year, it's one of the best rapid rides out there, Splashwater got us wet, but not quite the drenching Thunder River would have gotten us.

That really does suck! I know Dollywood leaves their water rides open way into October! I guess they are building the haunted maze in it already? I figured it would take long to built those, they are very simple and not much to them lol

That really does suck! I know Dollywood leaves their water rides open way into October! I guess they are building the haunted maze in it already? I figured it would take long to built those, they are very simple and not much to them lol

Either that, or maybe it's a staffing issue?? Thunder River takes more to staff than the 3 at Splashwater Falls.

So I'm in Atlanta on business right now, and as I often do, I used my free day today to check out this park. I didn't take many photos, so I'm just going to skip them.

First, Daredevil Dive was down all day, which sucks cause I really wanted to try it, but the lines weren't bad anywhere and everything was running two trains except Blue Hawk, so I got every credit except it.

So here's my ratings:

Georgia Scorcher 10/10

Seriously, I was shocked how much I enjoyed this. I did it first because it was right there, and not only was it smooth and non painful, the g forces were awesome!

Mind bender 10/10

I love Schwartzkopf coasters, and this little one was no exception. So fun to have the old school lap bars too! The loops were also very intense in a good way.

BTR 9/10

I love the batman clones, but this one rode a little worse than some of the others I've been on. That said, it was still a blast and I miss these days of B&M intensity.

Blue Hawk 7/10

Gotta say, the new trains probably help this ride a lot, but it still uses a lot of old Arrow technology in the bogey (in fact they had Arrow brand road wheels on). The new restraints dug into my collar a bit, and this still throws you around a decent amount, but I could easily have reroad without a headache. Unfortunately, they were only running one train and I didn't feel like waiting 20+ minutes for a second ride when other things were a walkon.

Goliath 10/10

Not my favorite hyper, but still a very fun ride. I like the airtime before the big spiral turn around.

Superman 5/10

This was... Pretty boring, which isn't what you want for a ride that's a little uncomfortable. I feel like other flyers I've been on were more fun, plus the ops were sloe and the Georgia heat is unforgiving, making sitting stomach down on the transfer aweful...

Scream Machine 10/10

This was so much more fun than I thought it would be! Simple fun layout, and fast enough that the bumpiness didn't matter at all! Great ride!

Cyclone 4/10

Holy hell this was rough. Now I don't normally mind rough, but this hurt my knees, back, and neck, which is not normal even on a rough woodie or arrow. Good god. At least it didn't trim so it had a few fun moments, but this is even rougher than Mean Streak, and the only coaster I can think of this bad was the old woodie at SFNO. Yikes.

Mine train 7/10

I do like Arrow mine rides, but this was just boring. That said, I'm fine with it because it's a good family and wimp ride. Still, adventure express has ruined the other mine rides for me.

All in all a pleasant day. I got multiple laps on the coasters I wanted to reride, with my longest wait being blue hawk, which actually I wouldn't mind another lap on in the future. I doubt I'll reride Cyclone, which makes it only the second coaster in history I'd prefer not to ride again unless my party wanted to (the other being mean streak). That ride could be awesome if re tracked, but holy hell has it been poorly maintained.

Still bummed about missing daredevil though

So I'm in Atlanta on business right now, and as I often do, I used my free day today to check out this park. I didn't take many photos, so I'm just going to skip them.

First, Daredevil Dive was down all day, which sucks cause I really wanted to try it, but the lines weren't bad anywhere and everything was running two trains except Blue Hawk, so I got every credit except it.

So here's my ratings:

Georgia Scorcher 10/10

Seriously, I was shocked how much I enjoyed this. I did it first because it was right there, and not only was it smooth and non painful, the g forces were awesome!

Mind bender 10/10

I love Schwartzkopf coasters, and this little one was no exception. So fun to have the old school lap bars too! The loops were also very intense in a good way.

BTR 9/10

I love the batman clones, but this one rode a little worse than some of the others I've been on. That said, it was still a blast and I miss these days of B&M intensity.

Blue Hawk 7/10

Gotta say, the new trains probably help this ride a lot, but it still uses a lot of old Arrow technology in the bogey (in fact they had Arrow brand road wheels on). The new restraints dug into my collar a bit, and this still throws you around a decent amount, but I could easily have reroad without a headache. Unfortunately, they were only running one train and I didn't feel like waiting 20+ minutes for a second ride when other things were a walkon.

Goliath 10/10

Not my favorite hyper, but still a very fun ride. I like the airtime before the big spiral turn around.

Superman 5/10

This was... Pretty boring, which isn't what you want for a ride that's a little uncomfortable. I feel like other flyers I've been on were more fun, plus the ops were sloe and the Georgia heat is unforgiving, making sitting stomach down on the transfer aweful...

Scream Machine 10/10

This was so much more fun than I thought it would be! Simple fun layout, and fast enough that the bumpiness didn't matter at all! Great ride!

Cyclone 4/10

Holy hell this was rough. Now I don't normally mind rough, but this hurt my knees, back, and neck, which is not normal even on a rough woodie or arrow. Good god. At least it didn't trim so it had a few fun moments, but this is even rougher than Mean Streak, and the only coaster I can think of this bad was the old woodie at SFNO. Yikes.

Mine train 7/10

I do like Arrow mine rides, but this was just boring. That said, I'm fine with it because it's a good family and wimp ride. Still, adventure express has ruined the other mine rides for me.

All in all a pleasant day. I got multiple laps on the coasters I wanted to reride, with my longest wait being blue hawk, which actually I wouldn't mind another lap on in the future. I doubt I'll reride Cyclone, which makes it only the second coaster in history I'd prefer not to ride again unless my party wanted to (the other being mean streak). That ride could be awesome if re tracked, but holy hell has it been poorly maintained.

Where on BTR did you sit?? For some reason the farthest left seat on the front of the train threw and rattled me around like crazy yesterday and today, but every other seat I rode in on it front and other rows were smooth. I agree about Blue Hawk, I rode it the first time yesterday in its new form, and still waited 25 minutes with a Platnium Flash Pass in the station because of the one train wait, it's better than Ninja for sure, but I still think it's the worst coaster they have, and the last two inversions on it were still rough, the first half of the ride did smooth out though, so some credit is due.

So here's my ratings:

Georgia Scorcher 10/10

Mind bender 10/10

BTR 9/10

Blue Hawk 7/10

Goliath 10/10

Superman 5/10

Scream Machine 10/10

Cyclone 4/10

Mine train 7/10

Where on BTR did you sit?? For some reason the farthest left seat on the front of the train threw and rattled me around like crazy yesterday and today, but every other seat I rode in on it front and other rows were smooth. I agree about Blue Hawk, I rode it the first time yesterday in its new form, and still waited 25 minutes with a Platnium Flash Pass in the station because of the one train wait, it's better than Ninja for sure, but I still think it's the worst coaster they have, and the last two inversions on it were still rough, the first half of the ride did smooth out though, so some credit is due.

I did BTR once front once back, and agree it hits weird in the front. I actually like Blue Hawk over superman and cyclone tbh. If they were running twould trains, I'd ride it again before I'd ride supreman again, and I'm not sure I'll get back on cyclone before a retrack

I do have to give SFOG credit, while I personally still am not fond of Blue Hawk, they did a really good job of marketing it. I've been to the park on busier days when it was still Ninja and it would run one train and still only have 3 or 4 rows of riders per train.It was probably close to an hour wait Saturday, as I waited 30 minutes just in the station.I do think new trains and track work would have been sufficient, because Ninja was one of the few coasters in the park that didn't need a paint job, but at least they went with another good color ( Blue) instead of some wacky Six Flags color scheme.

Planning to hit a bunch of parks next year and to make it to them all I will need to do some before the summer. Looking at SFOG past schedules, they open for about a 10 day stretch in April with full hours--1030am-8pm. That's not summer hours, but pretty good. During that April window how are the crowds on the weekdays? is it light like early June weekday crowds at most other SF's I've been to or is crowded b/c all the kids go during their school break? Insight would be appreciated.

My plan potentially is to do SFOT in March maybe, SFOG in April possibly, SFMM 1st week of June and Knots Berry, Cedar Point in June when they go to full hours, Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland in July and August. Other secondary targets will be SFGadav(hit in 2016 but in the area often, Dorney Park b/c not far from Gadv and I never have been. SFAm and KD if I have time b/c I will be in DC/ area.

The only week that SFOG is open before summer is Spring Break for most schools in the Atlanta metro. From my experience, it has always been painfully crowded. They usually run special promotions for Spring Break and the crowds are just ridiculous anyways. I haven't tried the last few years but when I went on a Tuesday during Spring Break a few years back it was crowded. I would say you would have better luck going on a Sunday that isn't during Spring Break.

Keep in mind, this year the park was doing one train ops on almost every coaster in March, so going after Spring Break might be better. Historically March was AMAZING at the park, with empty seats on most coasters. I recall marathoning Goliath without getting up. That doesn't seem to happen anymore though.

It is also worth considering building SFOG into a trip with other parks (Alabama Adventure, Lake Winnie, Dollywood, Carowinds, Wild Adventures ...whichever would be on your route). That obviously depends on what you want and what your time is like, but if I wasn't living in this region and had the time I would want to knock it all out at once if possible. That would only be possible in the summer though.

Yup sounds like the Spring Break week to me as well. I'd say very busy, I made the mistake of going once during spring break

I like the above suggestion as well.. Dollywood is open weekly at that time so visit Dolly during the week and hit up six flags on Sat

If you have a season pass refill bottle can you just walk into a hydration station and fill it? I ask because I noticed people with coke wristbands on. What are those for?

I'm pretty sure those are for the folks who just bought the daily refill bottle. You can buy a different colored bottle and get free refills the day of purchase, then be able to refill it gor $.99 each fill or buy a writband For refills for the day for subsequent visits throughout the season. Yes, with the season pass bottle You can just walk up and fill it anywhere.

^ Thanks! Yeah I did a beautiful April Saturday earlier this year and it was very busy but with a platinum pass I did whatever the hell I wanted, and would absolutely do that again if needed. I wasn't planning on going back until next winter for HITP but it seems I'll have to be in Atlanta/Athens sooner than I thought. It'll be later in the month so I guess I'll have to hit it up on a Saturday/Sunday but I don't mind as long as platinum FP is an option.

Do we have any idea what week the park will be open for spring break 2017? I just found out I'll be back in Georgia in April.

Dekalb, Cobb, and Fulton county schools are out April 3 - 7th, as well as Atlanta City Schools. Those districts cover the area right around the park.