TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this...

it would be so cool for SplashWater Falls to be removed, to be replaced by a killer Mack Watercoaster, to splash down in the same spot, but use the area over and past the railroad for the lift and all that. That's drop-angle needs to be steeeeep.

Make sense?

And for Pete's sake, could the splashdown actually get people wet on the bridge again?! That needs to be a thing again.

A park that stays that hot for that long needs quality water-rides, not just slides and a wave pool. (Though, I do like the addition of Hurricane Harbor.)

^I am a fan of that idea, since Splashwater Falls is an eyesore and not the best of its kind. However, I think Thunder River across the path holds its own as one of the very best and wettest rapids rides. I don't think the park is short on water rides but both Splashwater Falls and Log Jamboree leave a bit to be desired.

I don't disagree with you, but Splashwater falls is still very popular though, isn't it? I mean that line always seems to be quite long on hot summer days. I couldn't see them getting rid of it when it's still a largish draw.

Anybody been since sfog posted that teaser photo? Can you see the blue tarps from the public areas? I'd love to see more photos. Or maybe someone's adventurous enough to go and take a peek..

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

^Splashwater Falls only operates one boat and the return from the splashdown is painfully slow. Last time I rode it I thought it wasn't going to make it. I do think there is some popularity but the capacity is so low that it gains a long line easily. Thunder River has pretty fast ops but gets a much longer line. I really don't think Splashwater Falls would be that missed, although the more water rides the better probably. It serves some purpose but it is still a slow run down eyesore and there are many things that could serve a greater purpose in its place in my opinion.

I would be fine with it if they invested in capacity/ops, gave it fresh paint that isn't so bold and added some themed elements but that won't happen.

Oh man, if they removed splashwater falls and used the land they're clearing now, they could build a new coaster with the station where splashwater falls is and have it go into the area next to superman, they would have sooo much room. I can dream...

Kind of an odd question here. Our flight arrives tomorrow in Atlanta around 8 a.m. We're getting Uber from the airport to the park. My question is, how early does Six Flags open the toll booths so we can be dropped off? I know some parks open them an hour or 30 minutes before the park opens. We were probably just gonna chill at the airport for a bit and leave around 9-9:30, then just wait at the front gates. Is that a good time to leave the airport, also factoring in traffic? I've only been to Atlanta once before and we were just driving through.

A few other misc. questions... What's the best seat on Goliath? And does anyone here recommend Flash Pass? We don't have a problem buying it if it's needed. Is platinum worth it?

I took Uber from the airport right to the park. Its about 20 minutes without traffic. They can drop you off right out front, the toll gates/parking lot are actually passed the park entrance. Goliath was good in the front but GREAT in the back. Don't miss Mindbender. Your other questions might be answered by reading my report from my trip in April. I recommend Flash Pass if its a weekend.

Kind of an odd question here. Our flight arrives tomorrow in Atlanta around 8 a.m. We're getting Uber from the airport to the park. My question is, how early does Six Flags open the toll booths so we can be dropped off? I know some parks open them an hour or 30 minutes before the park opens. We were probably just gonna chill at the airport for a bit and leave around 9-9:30, then just wait at the front gates. Is that a good time to leave the airport, also factoring in traffic? I've only been to Atlanta once before and we were just driving through.

A few other misc. questions... What's the best seat on Goliath? And does anyone here recommend Flash Pass? We don't have a problem buying it if it's needed. Is platinum worth it?

The park entrance is not inside the parking toll booths, and is actually right off the interstate. You can be dropped off at any time. They may not let you pull right up to the gate but you can be dropped off within a 30 second walk of the gate easily. The parking booths often don't open until an hour before park opening, but that won't matter for you. Atlanta traffic can get very bad so I would suggest just heading over early and waiting outside. If you have season passes or print your tickets online, you can wait at the front gate for opening, and won't be stuck in the long line that forms prior to opening (and they can be very slow and getting people through security at the gate). If you are buying tickets at the park (don't do that, its much more expensive) the ticket booths will not open until 30 minutes prior to park opening). If you are sitting at the entrance to the park an hour before opening, you will be close to first in line. The gates usually open a half hour before park opening and usually Cyclone and Scorcher are already running. The rest of the park is roped off. You can usually get one or both credits and still be ready for rope drop at the tunnel beside Scorcher. At rope drop, go immediately to Dare Devil Dive (if it is open, it is often delayed). If you don't ride it first thing, expect a two to three hour line to form quickly and it will remain like that until closing. Since you are going on a weekday most other rides won't get long lines, but Batman, Joker Chaos Coaster, Mind Bender (if it is one train ops), and Superman do get a long wait even on weekdays. Thunder River can get busy too.

If you get there before opening you probably won't need a Flash Pass, but you will possibly encounter a few hour long lines. I would just play it by ear and if you feel the lines are too long, get a Flash Pass.

Goliath is best in the back seat. It has impressive airtime for a B&M hyper. Better than the rest in my opinion. The first drop is average but the rest of the ride has great air time, crazy positive gs in the helix, and what some would consider ejector air over the last run of bunny hops. Front is still worth a try too and is very good.

Mind Bender is just as much a standout as Goliath really, so you will probably want to ride it multiple times. Any seat is good but I prefer front of the back car for the air time on the drops. If it has one train ops the line will be long and slow. It has been going back and forth from one to two trains a lot this season.

Don't miss Monster Mansion, Acrophobia or Thunder River. All the coasters are worth a ride, and even Joker Funhouse Coaster has some punch (it actually has kiddie ejector air time on the first drop in the back lol).

What's the best seat on Goliath?

Front is obviously the best view.

Back is obviously the best ejector-air.

BUT... my favorite is row 5. The longest-sustained floater air that I've ever experienced on any coaster I've ridden. It's almost like they designed those parabolic peaks FOR row 5. It's crazy.

Have fun!!

Visited the park yesterday and had a great time. It's probably my favorite Six Flags park now!!!

We found $68 roundtrip flights from Cleveland to Atlanta so we made it just a single day trip. We got to the park around 9:30 and were the first people there. We bolted it to Dare Devil Dive once they opened. More on that later. But the park was insanely dead and we had no problem with re-rides.

Goliath: While Mako has stronger air, I'd say Goliath is the overall better ride and is now my favorite B&M hyper. What a GREAT ride. Strong, solid airtime all over the place and the helix was great. It was never more than a station wait and sometimes even had empty rows due to a lack of riders.

Georgia Cyclone: Rode it in the back seat and was violently thrown up into the lap bar on one of those drops. So. Much. Airtime. Why is it that no one really ever talks about this ride? It was insanity!

Acrophobia: Terrifying ride and one of the better drop towers... But it was a little difficult to enjoy at the same time. The standing position combined with the fact that there's no floor made the slowing down at the end of the ride very painful. Good thing I wasn't planning on having children.

Great American Scream Machine: Rough no matter where we sat. The front was the worst, surprisingly. Some random air, but overall no desire to ride again.

Blue Hawk: So this was the surprise of the trip. It's probably my second favorite coaster in the park right behind Goliath. You can tell where the ride would have been rough if it had the old Arrow trains but the new trains are so fantastic. The vest is tight on the collar bones but thankfully doesn't lock up. We were able to stay on twice because there were not many people waiting to ride. We came back later in the day and rode it multiple times too. Seriously, guys. This ride is great!

Superman Ultimate Flight: It was down for much of the day. During the morning/early afternoon, it appeared to be closed the entire time. It reopened later with only one train and was breaking down every few cycles. It looked like it kept stopping at the base of the lift. They'd restart it only a few minutes later and then would just continue operation like normal. Being the operations nerd that I am, I really wanted to know what was up, but I wasn't going to bother asking because it really wasn't my business anyway. I've had similar situations when I worked at Cedar Point where something would prevent us from running at max capacity and we'd have to either be closed all day, or run one train (which is so miserable) and it really appeared like Six Flags was doing everything they could to just keep the ride open, even if it was just with one train. If that's the case, I can't be thankful enough! They also had a really good grouper who was great at getting single riders through the line. We waited only 30 minutes (again, only one train) so I'm going to assume that means the park is dead.

Mindbender: 10 minute wait with only one train. We rode in the back and it had some fun air, great loops, and it's a fun ride! I feel like a lot of the Mindbender fans are bandwagoners though. I had many people tell me "OHHH IT'S SO GOOD!" and I just thought, "Well that was fun! What's next?" rather than wanting to ride again. To each his own.

Georgia Scorcher: Not a fan of standing up but it was mostly smooth and had a great layout. Loved the little pops of air and tight turns.

And here's where my opinions go sour.

Dare Devil Dive: Are you kidding me, Six Flags? What an absolute embarrassment. Whoever thought this VR crap would be a good idea, please fire them. It's things like this that often make me look at the entire six flags chain as one giant, money-grabbing joke. We ran to the ride right at open and we were on the first dispatch of the day. So you're probably thinking, what's the problem if I got to ride it without waiting? Well, you will never find a worse operation even if you prayed to every God in the history of mankind and offered your first born as a sacrifice. We get up to the station and get right behind the air gates to get ready to board. Then, an operator comes over, counts out 7 of us (even though there are only 6 per car?) and has us awkwardly walk back through the line of people again to then load the rear of the station (since they load 2 cars at once). Then she realizes she counted out 7 instead of 6 so she had to rearrange everyone again. We finally get on the car and I was placed in the back seat. We sat there and waited. And waited. And waited. Then waited some more. I don't even know what the ops were doing. They were just kind of walking around and talking to each other. An op comes by and asks if I want a headset. I declined. I'm not waiting any longer and I'm not going to make the line any longer for everyone else either. Why would you not have this figured out BEFORE we are in the train?! Why would you not have your riders ready for it when it's time to board? Whatever. Then they had me and the guy in the front row switch seats because they couldn't get his lap bar down far enough. I'm bigger than him though and I fit just fine so I don't really know what any of that was about. The ride was great and we wanted to ride again, but when we got off the ride, the line was already full in the station and getting on the ramp. Well, when you average 5-7 minutes checking 12 seats, that line is already at least an hour, maybe even two. I have no other words to describe it other than just a huge joke. Today, I read how Cedar Point is introducing VR on Iron Dragon by having it run normally until 5, then VR afterwards with reservation only. I was really happy to see that and wondered why that was never something Six Flags could have done.

Luckily, the DDD debacle didn't ruin our day. It was so much fun and I can't wait to come back! Beautiful park, amazing selection of rides, and just a lot of fun

^

You could argue that Cedar Fair did exactly what Six Flags did with Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland last year having VR during the day.

I'm sure they would have had VR on Ninja/Blue Hawk like at SFStL but they decided to get new trains and paint for it. I don't know if I should be happy or angry about that.

I am impressed to see that DDD is loading 2 cars at a time, this is a recent change. That should speed things up just a hair, as they always loaded one car at a time before.

To the poster above - Sorry Mindbender wasn't your thing... To each his own indeed.

BTW - has anybody seen the most recent member review (posted on 9/14/15) on the Six Flags Over GA TPR page. Very tasteless, and a bit insulting! People are certainly able to express opinions, but I think that should be done with a little class. Can that not be removed?

I am impressed to see that DDD is loading 2 cars at a time, this is a recent change. That should speed things up just a hair, as they always loaded one car at a time before.

To the poster above - Sorry Mindbender wasn't your thing... To each his own indeed.

BTW - has anybody seen the most recent member review (posted on 9/14/15) on the Six Flags Over GA TPR page. Very tasteless, and a bit insulting! People are certainly able to express opinions, but I think that should be done with a little class. Can that not be removed?

That seems like something you would find on trip advisor... not TPR

Visited the park yesterday and had a great time. It's probably my favorite Six Flags park now!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the park so much overall (It remains my favorite park in the chain as well and I'm happy it's my home park). It sounds like between how much you enjoyed the park, how surprisingly empty it was, and how cheap your flight was, it was a perfect trip! I'm jealous!

When did you book the flight and where do you look for those kinds of deals? I've been trying to do the same thing and would love some advice.

As for DDD, if the line is to the bottom of the ramp it is two hours usually from my experience. When the entire queue fills it must be literally 6 hours. I can't even imagine. The capacity has been cut to about 60 people per hour. It's awful.

I'm glad you loved Ninja and Cyclone! I adore them both as well!

Mind Bender is one of my favorite coasters in the world and I adore it, but to each his own.

Sorry about your experience on Great American Scream Machine. I ride it all the time and never find it very rough except in the wheel seats. I actually rank it really high because it is fairly smooth and produces some killer airtime. Hopefully the do some work on it soon because it really is a stand out classic.

I've also never really had an issue with Acrophobia but I know many guys do. For me it just doesn't hurt or really invade that particular part of my body that much.

Did you by chance try Thunder River and Monster Mansion?

Did you by chance try Thunder River and Monster Mansion?

I didn't do Thunder River. I'm not a fan of water rides. I did do Monster Mansion and it was... Cute. Haha.

Also, by chance did you check out the bumper car area?

There's some walls up around it and I think it said something like "GO BIG." I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was pretty generic and didn't give hints as to what it could be.