TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Also if it does start raining fairly steady and attendance is low THEY WILL close.. Happened to me twice at six flags last year.. Once they closed fairly early at like 3 in the afternoon (it was a dead Sunday) and once during fright fest they closed about 8:30 at night on a Saturday.. (Was supposed to be open until 12)

^I'm a bit of a hotel snob, but Wingate is your best bet if you have the option and are willing to pay a bit more. The Wingate is the only hotel of the three that I feel safe in. A friend and I stayed at the cheapest hotel on the street a few years back (it was a Howard Johnson at the time). It's outdoor entry, and our door never locked properly. We feared for our lives every night we were there LOL.

I started staying at the Wingate last year.. I'm not a hotel snob so I used to stay at super 8 up beside waffle house.. It was cheap but usually clean.. However, the Wingate has won me over.. Plus the Super 8 was dragging down my "free night average" on hotels.com.. This is the main reason I changed.. But I also like walking back to the hotel whenever I need.. Very convenient.. The walk is actually shorter than the walk from the parking lot

Even the Wingate drags it down as most of my hotels are for the beach and Disney but the Wingate doesn't drag it down as much

Another thing is even if it is clear and sunny, if the park expected rain and there is still a chance later in the day they often stay at one train ops regardless of the fact that the day turned out beautiful.

Unless it is a monsoon, they won't close the park unless the park isn't busy. It is a money thing more than a weather thing. I've had them close on me at 7pm (one hour after opening) during Fright Fest because of inclement weather aka it's in the high 40s and no one showed up but when it was busy they had DDD going until 1am in 29 degree weather.

Hopefully since you are going during Spring Break (correct?) ops will be at their max. Expect Mind Bender to be one train no matter what though. It has been like that for pushing a year and the second train looks like it may just be a parts train.

Sky Screamer is running the short cycle too now which isn't as fun but it keeps the line shorter.

Another thing is even if it is clear and sunny, if the park expected rain and there is still a chance later in the day they often stay at one train ops regardless of the fact that the day turned out beautiful.

Unless it is a monsoon, they won't close the park unless the park isn't busy. It is a money thing more than a weather thing. I've had them close on me at 7pm (one hour after opening) during Fright Fest because of inclement weather aka it's in the high 40s and no one showed up but when it was busy they had DDD going until 1am in 29 degree weather.

Hopefully since you are going during Spring Break (correct?) ops will be at their max. Expect Mind Bender to be one train no matter what though. It has been like that for pushing a year and the second train looks like it may just be a parts train.

Sky Screamer is running the short cycle too now which isn't as fun but it keeps the line shorter.

At times last year they had two trains running.. I was very surprised and didn't believe it when I saw it on here as a few weeks before it was in parts under the coaster..

Someone even posted a rumor that they brought the other train in from somewhere.. Idk, it was only early in the summer when they had both trains.. Early last year it was in parts under the coaster lol

^I went for my birthday which landed on a Friday (yes I am a coaster nerd for choosing Six Flags as my birthday place on a Friday night). We arrived at 6:45 and they closed at 7:15 just as we got to GASM (The sky was completely clear). It really was a huge letdown.

At times last year they had two trains running.. I was very surprised and didn't believe it when I saw it on here as a few weeks before it was in parts under the coaster..

Someone even posted a rumor that they brought the other train in from somewhere.. Idk, it was only early in the summer when they had both trains.. Early last year it was in parts under the coaster lol

It has been in pieces between the station and the loop (not even housed in the maintenance/storage) since at least August of last year if I remember correctly. The maintenance building is basically empty so I feel like that must mean that train is done. I wonder if we will see another train brought in from elsewhere or if we can expect new Gerstlauer trains. I love the original trains but they really need 2 functioning trains on there because it's a very popular ride and has a long ride time.

^ Really nice pics! I had actually forgotten about The Ninja renovation. I really like the blue. I wonder if this is something that SF will do for other Arrows and Vekomas at the parks?

I love roller coasters and most thrill rides, but the Joker Chaos Coaster just doesn't look like it would be interesting to me. I had a chance to ride with little wait, but I passed and rode the swings across the street. For those who have ridden it and consider themselves thrill ride enthusiasts, what do you think about the Joker Coaster? To simply go in a circle with no change of pace seems boring. Maybe I didn't watch it long enough to see the fun of it.

I love roller coasters and most thrill rides, but the Joker Chaos Coaster just doesn't look like it would be interesting to me. I had a chance to ride with little wait, but I passed and rode the swings across the street. For those who have ridden it and consider themselves thrill ride enthusiasts, what do you think about the Joker Coaster? To simply go in a circle with no change of pace seems boring. Maybe I didn't watch it long enough to see the fun of it.

Haven't been on it yet, but I went on a carnival equivalent many years ago, and I remember really liking it. The big thrill comes mainly from the moments where you're being hung upside down as you switch direction of travel.

The way I see it, Joker Chaos Coaster is very similar in experience to the old Looping Starship ride that sat where Goliath's brake run is now, except Joker won't try to kill you with its restraint system like Starship did haha.

Alright so sorry to bring this up again (I am a SUPER planner), but we are now just ten days away from my virgin visit to SFOG, followed by a long weekend visit with my sister in little podunk Athens, GA. (lol, jokes)

My current itinerary is as follows:

~ Sat Apr 16th 6:30am flight out of PHL, arrival at ATL 8:30am (barring any delays).

~ Hop in an Uber (or taxi/cab if the Uber/airport thing is somehow any issue - seems it is or it isnt depending on who I talk to) and head straight to the park. If plane arrives on time and barring any other major delays (I'm purposely only bringing a carry on to avoid luggage issues) and I can get a car quickly I plan to be at the park between 9:30-10am.

~ Welllllll, actually to the hotel. My original plan was to stay at the park until dinner timeish and head into downtown Atlanta to catch a freaking two hour Megabus out to Athens but that didn't sound like fun. Sooooooo I've bitten the bullet and booked a room at the Wyndam right outside the parks front gate, this way I can have a break midafternoon to check in and have a break in my room and head back to the park for night rides. It seems like its a 5 minute walk to and from the park/hotel. I am packing ULTRA light - just a medium-small backpack with clothing/toiletry items for 3 days, a poncho for "in case", my ipod, phone and chargers. The hotel notified me I could stop there in the morning and they would hold my bag for the day but I suppose a locker at the park is also an option. I have never used a locker at a SF so I don't know how they even work and I've heard more than a few stories of them being broken into and people having their stuff stolen. Anyone else want to attempt to convince me not to bother with a SF locker? As this is my entire weekends supplies, having it stolen is not an option. I know someone here mentioned guest relations at the park would be willing to hold my pack for the day since I am coming right from the airport, but I'm not sure if that is a safer option vs a locker or just leaving it with hotel staff. Any particularly important items (wallet, keys, phone) I will keep on my person - zippered pockets, yo!

Anyways, once I'm inside the park my itinerary then, based on suggestions already posted here goes somethinggggg like:

~ Depending on arrival I will survey the assembled crowds and likely head right to FP HQs and buy a Platinum pass for the day. Do these work like at Great Adv? Wristband and you just go up the exits on every ride and seated pretty much right away? I'm thinking maybe I can just get Gold if like its cloudy or something but I have no idea when I'll be back here so I have the $80-100 I'll need for platinum already mentally budgeted.

~ Some of you have mentioned the park opening a half hour early and that they run Cyclone and Scorcher, so if time allows I'll get one ride on each, and line up at wherever they rope you off to get into the rest of the park and head straight for Dare Devil Dive. I am really not interested in the VR so I am hoping to get a regular ride on this first thing and just get it out of the way. Will be my first Eurofighter, also my 2nd vertical lift after Fahrenheit.

~ Since I am going to be in the area and I've seen mentioned here Batman is running one train I'll get that out of the way (and I suppose Mindbender too since its right there and also is it still running one train?) MB is one of my must rides, suppose its smart to get it out of the way right then and there?

~ I am big on B&M hypers I am going to skip Goliath for later and head to the back of the park. No biggie on missing Ninja, I rode it when its was new like 25 years ago lol. I'll do Supes and then GASM, maybe Skyscreamer depending on the wait.

- Then possibly lunch (Macho Nacho??) and then hop of the SkyRide/Cable/Buckets (is there gonna be some weird single rider policy here?) and head towards Acrophobia, the Mine Train, and Monster Mansion. Anyone have any idea if that other kiddie coaster they are retheming (Canyon Blaster?) will be up and running by next weekend? If not no biggie.

~ If I haven't eaten lunch yet I may grab a bite and if its after 3pm head back to the hotel to check in and chill out for a disco nap. Then its back in for Goliath, and depending on waits, I may just play musical chairs or use my FP to reride as often as possible as I know this is going to be the star of the show for me. Maybe a another lap or two on Mindbender. I'm stoked about the hotel room since the park is open til 9 and I'd like some night rides on Goliath. Also I'll use this time to take photos and explore the park during sunset, ride the Train maybe, and check Cyclone and Scorcher if I don't have a chance knock them in the morning.

So some few final questions.

-- Flash Pass Pricing. Yeah I see what the website says but at Great Adv sometimes it winds up being less online compared to what you pay in park. Wondering if any of the regulars have been at the park this season and actually has seen the pricing? Platinum and Gold please, don't give a rats ass about Regular. I'm likely going Platinum. Also what's with this upcharge for DDD? Is that for only one ride? Ugh.

-- SRLs. Are there any and will it even matter with a Platinum FP? Someone please tell me PFP will allow me to do whatever the hell I want all day with little-to-no waits LOL.

-- Reentry - typical hand stamp type procedure? Anything special I need to know about this? Where to exit/reenter? Again, probably gonna leave mid afternoon to go check into hotel and come back.

-- My locker question from above - are the lockers all over the park all day lockers or do I need to go to a specific locker station for all day rental? How much are all day rentals? I have never used them and have no idea how they work (Can I use cash, card only? etc) Would you guys recommend I leave my stuff w/ the hotel staff and not bother with lockers at all or park staff? Remember I am all about the zippered pockets and will only have my phone and wallet on me all day. I am thinking I'd feel safer with the bag at the hotel.

-- Food/lunch spots. Still taking suggestions here. Thanks for any that you guys posted already but I just want a few different options so based on where I am in the park I can find a good spot to relax and get my grub on.

-- Places with alcohol! Where are they?!

-- Souvenir magnets. I collect coaster and theme park magnets, so was wondering if there are any specific retail spots or stores to look for them.

Anything else I am missing? Cool shortcuts? Best food? Load me up with info, I'm sooo ready for this trip.

And once again if anyone is at the park that day and wants to meet up with a big geek, holler at me. Just message me through here. I don't bite... hard. Really though, I just like coasters and beer. I'm fun. LOL

Edited by boldikus

Welcome to TPR! Technically speaking it's not actually a roller coaster. It kind of looks like one so Six Flags markets it as one to make it sound better but at the same time it probably leads to a lot of people being disappointed by the ride.

Personally though I like it. If you compare it to other coasters it's not going to stack up but if you lower your expectations and just expect a fun little ride that's worth a 5 or 10 minute wait then I think you'll have fun.

SkyRide/Cable/Buckets (is there gonna be some weird single rider policy here?)

No but there is a single-bucket-on-the entire-f**king-cable-because-they-don't-care-at-all policy. They should almost put it on Flash Pass they suck so bad. But most importantly I think I'm rubbing off on you. Making the Sky Ride a priority is always a good thing. lol

Oh and I believe they're the "Peachtree Sky Buckets". When in Atlanta just use "Peachtree" as a prefix for everything. Especially street names. lol

I answered your questions in bold

Alright so sorry to bring this up again (I am a SUPER planner), but we are now just ten days away from my virgin visit to SFOG, followed by a long weekend visit with my sister in little podunk Athens, GA. (lol, jokes)

My current itinerary is as follows:

~ Sat Apr 16th 6:30am flight out of PHL, arrival at ATL 8:30am (barring any delays).

~ Hop in an Uber (or taxi/cab if the Uber/airport thing is somehow any issue - seems it is or it isnt depending on who I talk to) and head straight to the park. If plane arrives on time and barring any other major delays (I'm purposely only bringing a carry on to avoid luggage issues) and I can get a car quickly I plan to be at the park between 9:30-10am.

~ Welllllll, actually to the hotel. My original plan was to stay at the park until dinner timeish and head into downtown Atlanta to catch a freaking two hour Megabus out to Athens but that didn't sound like fun. Sooooooo I've bitten the bullet and booked a room at the Wyndam right outside the parks front gate, this way I can have a break midafternoon to check in and have a break in my room and head back to the park for night rides. It seems like its a 5 minute walk to and from the park/hotel. I am packing ULTRA light - just a medium-small backpack with clothing/toiletry items for 3 days, a poncho for "in case", my ipod, phone and chargers. The hotel notified me I could stop there in the morning and they would hold my bag for the day but I suppose a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo at the park is also an option. I have never used a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo at a SF so I don't know how they even work and I've heard more than a few stories of them being broken into and people having their stuff stolen. Anyone else want to attempt to convince me not to bother with a SF fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? As this is my entire weekends supplies, having it stolen is not an option. I know someone here mentioned guest relations at the park would be willing to hold my pack for the day since I am coming right from the airport, but I'm not sure if that is a safer option vs a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo or just leaving it with hotel staff. Any particularly important items (wallet, keys, phone) I will keep on my person - zippered pockets, yo!

Anyways, once I'm inside the park my itinerary then, based on suggestions already posted here goes somethinggggg like:

~ Depending on arrival I will survey the assembled crowds and likely head right to FP HQs and buy a Platinum pass for the day. Do these work like at Great Adv? Wristband and you just go up the exits on every ride and seated pretty much right away? I'm thinking maybe I can just get Gold if like its cloudy or something but I have no idea when I'll be back here so I have the $80-100 I'll need for platinum already mentally budgeted.

~ Some of you have mentioned the park opening a half hour early and that they run Cyclone and Scorcher, so if time allows I'll get one ride on each, and line up at wherever they rope you off to get into the rest of the park and head straight for Dare Devil Dive. I am really not interested in the VR so I am hoping to get a regular ride on this first thing and just get it out of the way. Will be my first Eurofighter, also my 2nd vertical lift after Fahrenheit.

DDD was only running two trains and was having extremely slow dispatches yesterday so i would expect a long line eve in the morning.

~ Since I am going to be in the area and I've seen mentioned here Batman is running one train I'll get that out of the way (and I suppose Mindbender too since its right there and also is it still running one train?) MB is one of my must rides, suppose its smart to get it out of the way right then and there?

Batman Is now running 2 trains and had good operations as of yesterday. Mind bender is still running 1 and had a slow long line.

~ I am big on B&M hypers I am going to skip Goliath for later and head to the back of the park. No biggie on missing Ninja, I rode it when its was new like 25 years ago lol. I'll do Supes and then GASM, maybe Skyscreamer depending on the wait.

- Then possibly lunch (Macho Nacho??) and then hop of the SkyRide/Cable/Buckets (is there gonna be some weird single rider policy here?) and head towards Acrophobia, the Mine Train, and Monster Mansion. Anyone have any idea if that other kiddie coaster they are retheming (Canyon Blaster?) will be up and running by next weekend? If not no biggie.

I wouldn't recommend macho nacho as the line was long yesterday and the food was meh. The new JB"S Smokehouse looked like it had very good food though

~ If I haven't eaten lunch yet I may grab a bite and if its after 3pm head back to the hotel to check in and chill out for a disco nap. Then its back in for Goliath, and depending on waits, I may just play musical chairs or use my FP to reride as often as possible as I know this is going to be the star of the show for me. Maybe a another lap or two on Mindbender. I'm stoked about the hotel room since the park is open til 9 and I'd like some night rides on Goliath. Also I'll use this time to take photos and explore the park during sunset, ride the Train maybe, and check Cyclone and Scorcher if I don't have a chance knock them in the morning.

So some few final questions.

-- Flash Pass Pricing. Yeah I see what the website says but at Great Adv sometimes it winds up being less online compared to what you pay in park. Wondering if any of the regulars have been at the park this season and actually has seen the pricing? Platinum and Gold please, don't give a rats A$$ about Regular. I'm likely going Platinum. Also what's with this upcharge for DDD? Is that for only one ride? Ugh.

I believe the Prices in park are the same as online but you save 5 dollars per person with a season pass. DDD is a 15 dollar upcharge and i believe it is only one ride. Also there is now assigned seating on BTR, Goliath and Superman.

-- SRLs. Are there any and will it even matter with a Platinum FP? Someone please tell me PFP will allow me to do whatever the hell I want all day with little-to-no waits LOL.

There are SRL's but they dont start until your in the station and are pretty much worthless.

-- Reentry - typical hand stamp type procedure? Anything special I need to know about this? Where to exit/reenter? Again, probably gonna leave mid afternoon to go check into hotel and come back.

Yes just get a handstamp and the Wingate is a very short walk from the front gate

-- My fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo question from above - are the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo all over the park all day fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo or do I need to go to a specific fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo station for all day rental? How much are all day rentals? I have never used them and have no idea how they work (Can I use cash, card only? etc) Would you guys recommend I leave my stuff w/ the hotel staff and not bother with fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at all or park staff? Remember I am all about the zippered pockets and will only have my phone and wallet on me all day. I am thinking I'd feel safer with the bag at the hotel.

-- Food/lunch spots. Still taking suggestions here. Thanks for any that you guys posted already but I just want a few different options so based on where I am in the park I can find a good spot to relax and get my grub on.

-- Places with alcohol! Where are they?!

JB's Smokehouse, Macho Nacho, Pretzel Restaurant next to Mine Train, Gotham CIty Eatery

-- Souvenir magnets. I collect coaster and theme park magnets, so was wondering if there are any specific retail spots or stores to look for them.

Anything else I am missing? Cool shortcuts? Best food? Load me up with info, I'm sooo ready for this trip.

And once again if anyone is at the park that day and wants to meet up with a big geek, holler at me. Just message me through here. I don't bite... hard. Really though, I just like coasters and beer. I'm fun. LOL

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you posted them. I go to the park way too much so hopefully I can provide more insight!

I would drop your bag at the hotel. The park is probably safe but the hotel is better. If it does come down to the minute and you don't want to waste time, you can try the park. The lockers are safe as far as I know. The all day fee for the large lockers are $15 I believe. The normal ones are $13. That is if my memory serves correct. I never use them.

I don't know if Flash Pass is cheaper online, but you will most likely want one. I highly doubt the park will be empty. It has consistently had 2 hour lines on Saturdays. If you get Flash Pass first thing you will probably miss out on Cyclone and Scorcher if they are open early. They open between half hour early and opening, so it really depends on the day. They aren't always ready early.

DDD - Run here first and don't use your Flash Pass if you are within the first 20 people there. This is only if you get to the park for rope drop (rope drop is just past Scorcher entry at the tunnel that goes below the railroad). You only get one ride on DDD and only with Platinum, so if you can save it I would consider doing that. If there is any line at all skip DDD and come back later (but expect to wait up to 30 minutes with Flash Pass still). There is a very likely chance DDD won't be running right at opening and if you wait, you will miss out on all the rides without lines. DDD is a great ride. Very smooth. Almost too smooth that it lacks some thrill. It's a brief ride but the inversions pack force and the barrel roll has solid hang time. I do not know what the upcharge is here but I think that has been newly implemented so the Flash Pass might not run down the exit ramp and take 30 minutes like it did the last time I was there.

Since Mind Bender is a star attraction (and you will love it, possibly more than Goliath) I would go there next. Yes it has Flash Pass entry but that brings you into the station and with one train the wait can still take up to 20 minutes. So far this year they have been holding the queue at the station entry so most likely you will only have one ride or 2 rides in front of you. If that is the case you don't have to worry. You can pick any seat. I would try both front and front of the back car. It is a great ride in both places and both are worth experiencing. Mind Bender sometimes closes during and after rain until the track dries. Same with Batman. Not sure if this is still the case.

Batman Flash Pass shouldn't be a problem since it is Platinum only this season. You will have to ride in the back 2 rows.

Some of the rides have Flash Pass entry in the exit and some into the station. Station line entry lets you pick any row. Here is a rundown:

Enters station queue:

Georgia Cyclone

Georgia Scorcher

Goliath

Superman

Dahlonega Mine Train

Mind Bender

Exit entry:

DDD

Great American Scream Machine (You are forced into the back 2 rows of the second to last car so if you can get here fairly early and the line isn't long, I suggest you wait and try both front row and first or second row of the last car).

I highly suggest Thunder River. It's the most realistic rapids ride I have been on. A great ride.

Also make sure you try Monster Mansion. Easily the best classic dark ride in the Six Flags chain. A total gem.

Acrophobia is another must do because of the stand up seating and tilt at the top. it is much scarier than the rest of the third gen Intamin towers.

For food... There is a Macho Nacho in the center of the park between Goliath and Monster Mansion. There is a Macho Nacho Express in Lickskillet on the side closest to Ninja. If you decide you want a burger, definitely do Miner's Cookhouse. Best burgers in the park and they have a topping bar that includes sautéed green peppers, onions, etc. Really adds to the burger. You can also watch the Wild West Comedy Gunfight show at the outdoor seating and it really is a fun show. The bacon or chicken cheddar ranch waffle fries are worth it too. If you want to save money there is a Wendy's right up from your hotel. It's a 10 minute walk. 5 minutes from your hotel tops. It is right there and if you are going to the hotel mid day anyways it's a good way to save money. Plus food lines can take forever in the park.

Night rides... Goliath of course but Mind Bender and GASM also make for great ones. Probably not possible to do all 3. It won't be truly dark for long before 9pm.

Sky Buckets is a fun ride and I don't think they have a no single rider policy since they literally lock you in the cage.

Cyclone has some of the most intense ejector air in the front of the back car if you can withstand getting banged around a bit.

Canyon Blaster as Joker Funhouse Coaster will not be open. It is a really good family coaster so hopefully you'll be back some day for this and Ninja.

Single rider lines exist but are a joke.

Hand stamp re-entry

If you already have a blue souvenir cup bring it or buy one! Drink refills can take 20 minutes but with the free refill cup you can just walk into any of the 3 Coke Freestyles and pass everyone and go right up to the machine. It is a lifesaver. Plus Coke Freestyle is awesome. They have one to the right of the Crystal Pistol in the Coke store, one at the Hydration Station along the cut through the following alongside Thunder River, and one in Cotton States Exposition.

Alcohol is in a few places but I know they have a place across from Acrophobia. The sports bar will have beer too but I don't think it is open yet. It is to the left of the entry to Bugs Bunny Boomtown.

The best stores are the ones on either side of the main street when you enter the park. Attitudes is a good store too but doesn't have as much Six Flags branded items.

I might go to the park but it depends on how crazy my weekend is. I won't be buying Flash Pass anyways so you wouldn't want to be around one of us normal people standing in line haha. I can almost promise Flash Pass Platinum will be worth it though unless the park is dead for the first time in a long time and everything has 2 train ops. Doubtful!

If I go to Spring Fling with ACE I could add you as a guest if you want to pay $50 for 2 hours of exit passes (irrelevant if you get FP), free food, and 20 minutes morning ERT on Goliath as well as an hour from 9pm-10pm on Goliath and Mind Bender. The ACE crowd may be half crazy people but the perks of the event are nice.

Edited by SFOG1991