TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I went last year on opening day.. Not bad at all.. Now their official full opening weekend (when they open new major rides and such and start being open everyday) is a different story!! That weekends normally in May.. It has been very packed last few years

This could also be BC that weekend is usually around memorial day

Opening day used to be completely dead, with open seats on Goliath all day, but now that they open later in March and usually have events going on during the first few weekends, it is a bit busier but still barely any lines. Also, this season they are opening a week earlier than they did last season which can only help a bit.

The park posted a video of the Bugs Bunny World demolition and sadly it looks like they removed the awesome character fountain which I was hoping they would just clean up and keep.

I go every year on Easter Sunday and it is always a great time. The place isn't crowded and there is plenty of time to ride everything you wish. Daredevil Dive and Superman are the only lines, and they are still very reasonable.

Opening day used to always be dead, but I haven't been on one in a very long time.

I have never been to SFoG on opening day. I was thinking about going this year. Is it usually REALLY busy that day, or just like any other sat?

It depends on the weather that day. Also, don't expect the water rides to be open yet they usually open 2 weeks after. Last year was in between but lines were still pretty short. Opens March 12 this year. I'll be there as always. My 19th season pass season.

Continuing the crowds theme of this thread. During the season are Sundays typically crowded? I'm trying to plan a one day trip. Debating between taking a weekday off work and going or a Sunday. Plan at the moment is to be crazy and fly down to Atlanta and back to Cleveland the same day.

^That sounds like my kind of trip!

Sundays really vary. They are much better than Saturdays, which are almost always crowded. If you go on a Sunday before summer (and not during Spring Break) it will not be too busy. In the summer, it will be busier, but still much better than Saturday. Just be aware of events at the park because the park lines events up for Sundays that can really attract a crowd. Military Appreciation Day last year was awful.

Weekdays in the summer are definitely the best time to go, and I've had the best luck on Tuesdays. If you don't want to take off work, a Sunday will be fine as long as it isn't during a major event/promotion.

In case you want park tips... If you can get to the park 45 minutes before opening, that is best. The park usually opens Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone a half hour early. When the rope drops at opening up by Georgia Scorcher, proceed directly to Dare Devil Dive. Even on light days it can have a nearly 2 hour wait which will form within an hour of the park being open and it will stay like that all day. Keep in mind, Mind Bender may still be 1 train operation and it is a great ride so definitely go to Gotham City next as Batman can get quite a line as well. After that go to the back of the park and ride Superman because it too can get a really bad line with slow ops. You can ride Goliath at any time. The line usually shortens throughout the later part of the day and moves very quickly anyways.

Don't miss out on Monster Mansion and Acrophobia. Both great rides. Dahlonega Mine Train and Joker Funhouse Coaster are both good too for family coasters. Joker Funhouse Coaster has surprising airtime in the back on the first drop.

My GF and I go up for the entire weekend, several times a year (we are three hours away).. We always look fwd to Sunday mornings the best! Never any lines until about 2 or 3 and then very manageable lines.. That's normally when we head back home though.

Few hours there on Sunday and you can ride everything multiple times easy!

So I posted at some point a while back that I was trying to get to this park. My sister lives in Athens and she has been bugging me to come visit, so I am currently looking at Friday April 8th-11th to be in town, which looks like the end of the week SFOG is open everyday for spring break? Is that a correct assumption?

I'd be flying Philly to Atlanta and I don't drive so rental car is out of the equation. According to sister, there are shuttles that will take me from the airport to Athens, but I figure the park is closer to the airport and downtown Atlanta so it makes more sense to me to fly in early Fri morning and head right to the park, and either have sis grab me from airport, go to SFOG for the day, and then head to Athens and spend the weekend there w/ her.

So some questions:

1. In the event it works out where she's going to meet me at the park (or not join me at all) is there an easy way via a train/bus/public transit that would get me directly from the airport to the park? If not, is there Uber in Atlanta? Looks like its about a 20-30 minute drive from Airport to SFOG. Would it be ridiculous to rely on that option?

2. All day lockers. In the event I am alone are there reliable reasonably priced all day lockers I could put my luggage in if I fly in and go right to SFOG solo for the day? I travel light but this would be all my stuff for the entire weekend.

2. Crowds. Since its the Friday (or even if it works out we go Saturday the 9th or Sunday the 10th, that weekend) should I expect Spring Break insanity? I will absolutely budget flash passes in to this trip so if the crowds call for it, I will splurge. Are there tiers like at Great Adv (Regular/Platinum/Gold) and what are the prices usually? Any weird specials like only 1 ride per pass for certain rides or something? Does Platinum get you two re-rides?

3. I would love some advice on the best way to make my way around the park. Based on what I've read here, my plan would be to hit up DDD right away, Goliath, and head to the back for Superman, and work my way back up front. I'd like to hit every coaster, the dark ride, the drop ride, Sky Screamer, and if its warm enough the water rides (flume, etc) Is it usually warm enough by then for those to be open? My must rides are: DDD, Goliath, Mindbender, Batman, Scorcher, Acrophobia, Ninja(only because I rode it years ago as Kamikaze so nostalgia), Mine Train. GASM and Cyclone.

4. Any other must dos? Must eat food? Must see shows? (Are there shows?) Come on locals - help me out and while you're at it sell your park!

Thanks!

I've never been to the park but it sounds like Monster Mansion is a serious must-do.

Also did you have some kind of bet going to see how long it would take me to show up and tell you you forgot something from the must-ride list?

I'll give you a hint... It starts with Peachtree and rhymes with By Skuckets and the operations are really a sight to behold.

Alright I'll leave now and let someone who's actually been to the park answer your questions. Lol +1 for not asking if the new ride would be open. I don't even remember what they're getting, but no.

^ LOL I think its all kiddie rides this year, no? Waterpark stuff? Neither of interest to me. Id just like to do a round of the coasters, maybe a few re-rides on Goliath & Mindbender. Also are you talking about the Skyride? I would like to do that too. They have a train too, right?

I'm always talking about the Sky Ride. And yeah I think they have a train lol.

Just remember everyone if you show up in a thread and list your "must rides" in a park that has a Von Roll Sky Ride and don't list it I'll find your ass (well... I'll find the post and annoy you about Sky Rides. I'm like a Sky Ride Jehovah's Witness). Don't ever underestimate how much free time I have at work. Lol

Edited by coasterbill

^^ You can get to SFoG via public transportation (MARTA.) Take the subway from the airport headed West. I think it is HG Holmes station that has bus service to Six Flags (I'd check the Marta website to make sure that is the correct one.)

For the park - Dare Devil Dive needs to be hit early as it is a great Eurofighter, but gets really long lines (even for Flash Pass.)

Superman is the other one that gets lines (it is a flyer and to be expected.)

NOT TO MISS:

Monster Plantation (it's called Monster Mansion now, but I will always refer to it by its original name.)

Mindbender - a truly spectacular Schwartzkopf looper, still one of my favorite rollercoasters.

Superman Ultimate Flight - although it is the same as the others, it is the Original and actually uses its terrain.

Scorcher - it is a much smaller stand-up than at your home park, but I feel it is truly one of the best of the breed.

The Carousel - it sits on top of a hill and is absolutely beautiful.

@jynx242 Thanks for all of that! I've heard many great things about Monster Mansion and I'm not a big dark ride guy but if its as great as everyone says I'd definitely give it a spin. Mindbender, Goliath and DDD are the ones I really want to hit. I love B&M hypers, love good Schwarzkopfs, and have yet to ride a Eurofighter. Of course I have ridden Batman (which Id happily ride at another park) and Superman, but SFOG's looks absolutely superior due to the use of the terrain. Hate stand-ups but Scorcher seems to get a lot of love. What I am especially excited about is just how NICE this park looks for a SF park.

I am looking into the public transit thing as far as getting to the park and it seems fairly simple. I can take the MARTA gold line from the airport into Atlanta and transfer to the blue line which takes me to the HG Holmes station where I'd get the 201 bus that goes right to the park. Each of those legs are about 15-20 minutes each so looks like it takes about an hour from airport to SFOG that route, which is no big deal since I have an hour public transit commute to work each morning.

Since I would be flying in early in the morning I would (hopefully, barring any delays) get into Atlanta airport at 9:30am, looks like I would get right to the park around opening. Also from further research it does look like UBER is a thing in Atlanta so thats always an option too to get to the park if I'm feeling particularly wealthy that weekend.

Any other advice/suggestions from locals let's have em!

Spring Break is often a total mob and you will probably want Flash Pass. If you can arrive before opening to get your pass, that is best as the lines for Flash Pass get bad.

If you do arrive before opening (and especially if you don't get Flash Pass), try to arrive 45 minutes prior. Usually (especially on busy days) the front of the park opens a half hour early. You can usually ride Georgia Cyclone and Georgia Scorcher with no line. Ride Georgia Cyclone first. After riding them, wait for the rope drop by Scorcher. You will want to go straight to DDD as the line will build up to 2 hour wait within an hour or 2 of opening and will stay like that all day. If you want, ride Goliath next, but usually the line does fizzle out later in the day and the line moves very quickly. I would really suggest you go to Batman and Mind Bender next, as Mind Bender may still be on 1 train ops, and Batman gets a long line. After those, head straight for Superman where the line hopefully will still be very short. Ninja never has a line except when there is 1 train ops, and the line gets VERY long.

If you do get Flash Pass, you can ride things in whatever order you want really, and if you go to the back of the park right at opening you can easily marathon Great American Scream Machine for a half hour either in the same seat or by simply changing to open seats.

Acrophobia can get a long slow line but it is a very unique drop tower. Monster Mansion is also a unique must ride.

You will need Uber to get to the park quickly honestly. The MARTA option gets the job done but will take a long time.

You will like Scorcher. I would suggest waiting for front row. Smoother, you can see ahead of you, and you are thrown into the elements well. Back row has a few good airtime moments, especially after the corkscrew.

You are right about Superman. I was shocked by the difference when I went to Great Adventure. The way it was designed into the hill at SFOG is what makes the ride worthwhile after the pretzel loop.

Also, Mind Bender is much better (imo) than SooperDooperLooper and Shockwave if you have been on either of those.

^ Thank you!

I have done SooperDooperLooper and the Jet Stars. Mindbender looks great, and seems to get tons of great reviews. I am very excited for that ride.

RE: Flash Pass - Any park that isn't regional to me and that I likely won't be back at for some time I will absolutely budget FP into my trip, especially since I have a SF season pass so admission, parking etc aren't going to cost anything. If its gonna be spring break insanity (even on a Friday?) as you predict I will go for Platinum. What are the average prices for each FP tier? Wondering if they are comparable to GreatAdv's $45/$65/$110 prices.

Also does anyone else here have a Flash Pass frequent user card? I have 2 from Great Adv and while they are labeled SFGAdv on them, I wonder if I could get away with skipping the FP line @ SFOG. They really come in handy when the wait for FP is 10-20+ minutes

I don't mind taking UBER but if MARTA can get me there in an hour or less I don't mind. I basically live on public transit so I guess I'll just have to see if my flight is delayed and play it by ear.

I agree with the individuals that taking Uber is going to be your best bet - especially if you land in Atlanta, you probably will not get to the terminal by ground transportation until 9:45 or 10am.

Add another hour + for using MARTA and you're way past opening.

Spring Break crowds can be hit or miss - if the weather is nice, it will be mobbed - especially later in the week that it's open.

For your luggage, Guest Services (by Will Call in the East Ticketing Plaza) has generally held luggage for travelers that visit from the airport. It's not a published service, but I have seen them do it on multiple occasions. Expect to wait a while to get through the Will Call line if the park is crowded.

You can always wait until you arrive to get a Flash Pass - but I recommend at least the Gold Level (Dare Devil Dive is usually just available on Platinum, so keep that in mind).

Must-rides:

-Goliath

-Monster Mansion

-Mind Bender

-Georgia Cyclone (second to last row)

-Georgia Scorcher

-Acrophobia

-Great American Scream

Notables:

-Sky Screamer (if you haven't ridden one before)

-Dahlonega Mine Train (original coaster in the park)

-Superman: Ultimate Flight (first B&M flyer in the US)

SFOG is one of the better parks in the chain - but be wary of the potential crowds that would put a damper on even the best day in terms of operations.

^ Great Adventure is my home park so I am very well versed on what really crowded days can be like. I'll likely just go for Platinum if I do wind up getting a FP, you do get your choice of seat and re-rides if you want, yes?

Also big thanks for the info about the Guest Services/l0ckers thing, my sister that lives down there isn't the biggest fan of this stuff so I'm not sure it will work out with her joining me, so if I'm going it alone stashing my luggage somewhere is going to be an issue. I don't want to risk having it stolen from a locker and I'm without clothes/toiletries/whatever else all weekend.

Also one thing I totally forgot to ask about is the parks weather policy. Will they run stuff in the rain? I don't mind riding in the rain and obviously I'm spoiled since Great Adv does not give a single f@ck about the weather, but I'm putting all my eggs in one basket by trying to plan around this one day, and as we all know that could potentially turn into a total washout. How would the park generally handle that?

^ Great Adventure is my home park so I am very well versed on what really crowded days can be like. I'll likely just go for Platinum if I do wind up getting a FP, you do get your choice of seat and re-rides if you want, yes?

Choice of seat is available on the following coasters (there may be "groupers" that encourage you to go to a specific row):

-Goliath

-Superman: Ultimate Flight

-Georgia Cyclone

-Dare Devil Dive

-Mind Bender (they usually send you to the last few rows, which are the best IMO)

-Ninja

-Joker's Funhouse Coaster (aka Canyon Blaster)

Specific rows for Flash Pass users:

-Great American Scream Machine (4-5 rows from the back)

-Georgia Scorcher (last row)

-Batman: the Ride (last two rows)

Also one thing I totally forgot to ask about is the parks weather policy. Will they run stuff in the rain? I don't mind riding in the rain and obviously I'm spoiled since Great Adv does not give a single f@ck about the weather, but I'm putting all my eggs in one basket by trying to plan around this one day, and as we all know that could potentially turn into a total washout. How would the park generally handle that?

Generally if it's just a mist or drizzle/light rain, they will continue operations. If lightning is in the area, rides will shut down until the weather clears. Mind Bender, Dare Devil Dive and Joker's Funhouse Coaster are probably the most temperamental when it comes to wet weather.

^Georgia Scorcher usually lets you choose any row since you enter into the station queue. Sometimes it is blocked off for just back row though. The only row it is normally hard to get to is front row since that queue railing extends out before the station.

MARTA will take you longer than an hour to get to the park probably. You have to transfer at 5 Points which should be quick, but can take up to 15 minutes. Once you get to the west end of the line, the transfer over to the bus and the bus ride will take some time. It may be do-able in an hour but it is a lot more effort than an Uber and Uber will take less than half the time I imagine, unless there is lingering rush hour traffic. I am not sure how bad traffic gets there but when I commute downtown from the north end of the city, there is still bad traffic until 10:30am or so.

Oh, and I am the same with Flash Pass. I get it at pretty much any park I travel to because the investment getting to the park is worth budgeting a Flash Pass into. It can take you from riding 3 rides on a busy day, to riding 30, easily. Platinum is somewhere in the $90-$110 range and usually comes with a reride wristband (which people will verbally and possibly physically assault you for using. It has happened to me, no joke).

The crowd at SFOG used to be very teen/thug type but is much better now. Many more families visit now it seems. It's a decent crowd.

People will likely cut you in line too. I usually just don't let them or report them if they force themselves past me, but sometimes it's just exhausting and unsafe to deal with them. Just a heads up. The crowd is MUCH better than a few years back but with Spring Break you will get that kind of drama and nonsense from younger people possibly.

If there is a chance of rain in the forecast, it seems like an ideal day to go, but that isn't always the case. They often run just 1 train on most coasters when there are scattered storms forecast. I spoke to the ride operations director about this so unless something has changed expect 1 train operations on most coasters if it's an on and off rainy day. If it is very rainy, this can work in your favor since most of the coasters will run in the rain. If it is just a slight chance, the lines will be awful and slow moving.