TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Hey guys, new to the board but have been a long-time theme park and coaster fan, and had many wonderful memories at SFOG as a teenager. Anyway, thinking about taking the family to SFOG this week, and would love to hear from some of the park-veterans here. Do you think this Thursday (July 2nd) should be a pretty good day? It's the last weekday BEFORE the holiday weekend starts, and the forecast shows a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms, so I'm thinking the crowds shouldn't be TOO bad (at least for July)? And with a high temperature around 80 and cloudy and windy, it should be relatively comfortable.

Is my reasoning sound, or will everybody ELSE within a 200 mile radius be thinking the same thing I'm thinking? And how does the park operate in inclement weather conditions? Do they shut everything down when it's raining (or only certain rides)? Or only when lightning is nearby (and how close is "nearby"?) What rides normally shut down in storm conditions, and do they open up quickly after the storm passes? Where do they make customers go in case a severe thunderstorm is over the park?

Thanks everybody for any insights and opinions!

Hey guys, new to the board but have been a long-time theme park and coaster fan, and had many wonderful memories at SFOG as a teenager. Anyway, thinking about taking the family to SFOG this week, and would love to hear from some of the park-veterans here. Do you think this Thursday (July 2nd) should be a pretty good day? It's the last weekday BEFORE the holiday weekend starts, and the forecast shows a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms, so I'm thinking the crowds shouldn't be TOO bad (at least for July)? And with a high temperature around 80 and cloudy and windy, it should be relatively comfortable.

Is my reasoning sound, or will everybody ELSE within a 200 mile radius be thinking the same thing I'm thinking? And how does the park operate in inclement weather conditions? Do they shut everything down when it's raining (or only certain rides)? Or only when lightning is nearby (and how close is "nearby"?) What rides normally shut down in storm conditions, and do they open up quickly after the storm passes? Where do they make customers go in case a severe thunderstorm is over the park?

Thanks everybody for any insights and opinions!

Your reasoning is sound . I'd check to make sure there isn't a Christian Music Festival or anything going on that may suprise you with crowds. I've ridden many of the rides there in the rain, but if there is lightning within something like 5 miles - the usual park shutdown occurs. I think at that time you can ride the Monster Plantation (they call it Mansion, but we know the difference ) and things like the bumper cars. They have historically been pretty good at getting everything back up and running after a storm. As far as Severe Thunderstorms - I've never seen them make anyone go anywhere. Most people end up in one of the stores or dine-in restaurants.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!!!

Your reasoning is sound . I'd check to make sure there isn't a Christian Music Festival or anything going on that may suprise you with crowds. I've ridden many of the rides there in the rain, but if there is lightning within something like 5 miles - the usual park shutdown occurs. I think at that time you can ride the Monster Plantation (they call it Mansion, but we know the difference ) and things like the bumper cars. They have historically been pretty good at getting everything back up and running after a storm. As far as Severe Thunderstorms - I've never seen them make anyone go anywhere. Most people end up in one of the stores or dine-in restaurants.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!!!

Awesome info jynx242! Didn't think about a special event or festival. But I just checked their calendar, and fortunately Thursday looks clear. Whew! Would have been really disappointed to show up on what should have been a slow day, only to find the park inundated with special-event attendees. Anyway, thanks for the info about operations during a storm. Sounds like we should be okay, and I'll make sure we're near the Monster Plantation if a storm seems imminent.

Heading to SFOG for only 5 hours on Saturday. What are must-rides?

Mind Bender and Goliath are your MUST rides. (Mmmmm... Mind Bender... )

Other notables if you can get on them are Batman, Superman, Georgia Scorcher, Scream Machine, and Dare Devil Dive.

Speaking of which, if you get to the park before opening, go to Dare Devil Dive first thing, since it's a low capacity coaster with a super slow line.

Other notables if you can get on them are Batman, Superman, Georgia Scorcher, Scream Machine, and Dare Devil Dive.

Speaking of which, if you get to the park before opening, go to Dare Devil Dive first thing, since it's a low capacity coaster with a super slow line.

Thanks! I can skip Batman since I'm a SFMM regular. I'll definitely get on those two. And whatever others will be icing on the cake!

Thanks! I can skip Batman since I'm a SFMM regular. I'll definitely get on those two. And whatever others will be icing on the cake!

Oh I forgot! You've GOT to do Monster Mansion, too, one of the weirdest quirkiest dark rides ever created!

SFOG is probably the best looking Six Flags park in the chain. There's lots of shaded areas that are really pretty, especially the French section where Monster Mansion is, so take some time to just look around if you can (assuming you've never been here before).

Hope you have fun!

Mindbender is such an overrated ride. I suggest hitting Dare Devil Dive first thing. Then running Dow to ride Superman, Great American Scream Machine, Ninja(it's honestly not to bad in the magic seat) and Skyscreamer. Then go do Goliath and hit up Gotham rides. After that make your way to Monter Mansion, pass that and do Acraphobia, Dahloga mine train, Cyclone and then jump on Scorcher on your way out. You should be able to conquer most of the major rides in that short time.

SFOG is probably the best looking Six Flags park in the chain. There's lots of shaded areas that are really pretty, especially the French section where Monster Mansion is, so take some time to just look around if you can

Seriously, it was strange being so perfect. I guess there is such thing as too perfect.

On Schorcher, if you set the seat right, it is a really enjoyable coaster. The airtime feels so awesomely strange.

Oh and mindbender is a must. Can we not stress that enough? Too bad it doesnt get any GP love, especially not from teens (as seen by Music in the Parks - it was a walk on all day). I told my friends it was a gem and they absolutely adored it - walk on just being a bonus.

Mindbender is such an overrated ride. I suggest hitting Dare Devil Dive first thing. Then running Dow to ride Superman, Great American Scream Machine, Ninja(it's honestly not to bad in the magic seat) and Skyscreamer. Then go do Goliath and hit up Gotham rides. After that make your way to Monter Mansion, pass that and do Acraphobia, Dahloga mine train, Cyclone and then jump on Scorcher on your way out. You should be able to conquer most of the major rides in that short time.

Just checking to make sure I read correctly. You say Mindbender is overrated, but Ninja is fun...right?

Although I don't hate Ninja as much as most people do - you are in the VAST minority in your opinion of Mindbender (but I think you know that.)

I will say Dare Devil Dive is a really good ride. The yank over the top fells great and the rest of the ride is really smooth. But Mindbender is a must do.

I would recommend doing DDD first because of capacity, and because the Mindbender queue is always empty. Mindbender should be one of the last things (but it still is a must-ride).

If you arrive before opening, you can easily ride everything within 5 hours even if the park is slammed, as long as the operations are good and things aren't closed in the morning.

Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone often open a half hour early so you can possibly ride those before the park officially opens. I would then get in the crowd waiting for the rest of the park to open in the direction of Goliath. When they open, go STRAIGHT TO Dare Devil Dive. That line pushes 2 hours on not-so-busy days so on a Saturday that's the only way you will ride it. After that go to Goliath if the line is just within the station still. If it is longer you can come back to it later. I would then hit Batman followed by Mindbender. After that go to the back of the park which will likely still be pretty dead and ride Superman first, then Great American Scream Machine, then Ninja. Jump on Sky Screamer too if it interests you.

I would also recommend the mine train and even the kiddie coaster if you have time and the lines aren't bad. Other than that Acrophobia and Monster Mansion are the only must rides. Both get a pretty long line.

Thunder River is one of the best looking and most exciting rapids rides are well (I've never seen a more realistic rapids ride. You'd think it's a real river) but you might not have time to even consider that.

I have done all of these within 3-4 hours before on a few Saturdays, so it is much more realistic than it sounds.

Does anyone know what the crowds are like today?

Usually it's dead on rainy days but the forecast really cleared up. I am just worried they are running single trains on everything which is common on rainy days due to "slippage" as the ride operations manager told me.

So anyone there, how busy is it and how many trains are on the coasters?

I went to Six Flags on Saturday. It was raining when I got there and once it stopped everything was slowly starting to open. Crowed were light but by midafternoon it was starting to get hot and the crowds were coming in. I'm sure it had something to do with the fireworks. A few of the big rides just had one Train Running. Batman put a 2nd Train on when I was waiting for the ride. I will say everyone was really nice, But after going to Cedar point all the time I can tell you There dispatch time is Awful. DDD station is set up really odd and the line moves so slow. They still have a few great rides. I loved the Woodies both gave me fun rides, Goliath and Mind Bender are both awesome. DDD with such a slow line is still fun. I liked batman and superman too. Solid line up if you ask me. Happy to say i have been but at the same time don’t need a trip back any time soon

If you arrive before opening, you can easily ride everything within 5 hours even if the park is slammed, as long as the operations are good and things aren't closed in the morning.

Thunder River is one of the best looking and most exciting rapids rides are well (I've never seen a more realistic rapids ride. You'd think it's a real river) but you might not have time to even consider that.

I have done all of these within 3-4 hours before on a few Saturdays, so it is much more realistic than it sounds.

I agree about Thunder River. The only other rapids ride I've seen at a non-Disney/Universal park that looked as realistic was at Opryland.

I've seen SFOG so crowded on Saturdays near Halloween, that if you don't arrive at opening, you might only get a handful of coasters ridden all day.

Also, DDD is fun, but *way* too short.