TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

For anyone who has been at the park these past couple of days, how's Georgia Cyclone running? Any new trackwork?

I was there on Saturday and was a bit disappointed not to see much of any new trackwork or paint on Georgia Cyclone. I think they did some trackwork on the final turn into the brakes, but that may have been from last year. Regardless, I rode in the front of the train as well as the front of the last car. The ride is competely comfortable in the front row now other than some shuffling in the turns. The front of the back car was as wild as ever but definitely the most comfortable it has been in years.

Great American Scream Machine was running pretty well. It didn't seem to be delivering as much on airtime as previous years. They did retrack the first half of the return stretch after the turnaround which was overdue and really makes the roughest section of the ride now on par with the rest. They were only running one train on Saturday regardless of the long line.

I really wish they continued with the topper track for Cyclone but it is still running well with the new wood. GASM could really use some work to make for a smoother experience because when it is bumpy you don't feel the floater airtime.

Went to SFOG yesterday for opening weekend. Got there before the park opened and there was already a group riding namtab. When they let the general public in at 10:30am, we headed straight for namtab with the rest of the horde. Got there and it was broke. So whoever was riding it before the park opened got lucky and the rest of us was pissed. It basically was down till around 3pm. When they finally opened it, it seemed like the whole crowd of the park flocked to the ride making the wait over 2 hours long. I don't know if they ever intend on adding another train to the track but with only one train operation, the wait sucks. Being down in the sewers of Gotham with about a thousand sweaty stinky people is the worst. However, after riding the ride, it all seems worth it. Namtab is so much better than Batman. Ohhh the feels. I loved it. B&M just needs to make all their inverts backwards now. It's just better. Also, I must bitch a little about line nazis. When the park designates one of their employees to stand in the front of the line sending 2 - 4 people to each row, it slows down the line in my opinion. Yeah, it may work for parks like Disney or Universal, but that's because those people know what they're doing. But a teenager that's only been working at a theme park for a couple of days has no clue and chains like Six Flags and Cedar Fair don't need that crap. We're grown up people, we know how to stock a row for a coaster. Anyways, moving on.

As for the rest of the park, operations were probably the worst I've seen in a while. I was there back in December and park was great. I won't be to hard on the park though, I understand they only had like 2 months off to get the park back open again. But that being said, I may never go back in March again if this is what I have to look forward to in the future. Having only 2 cars going on Dare Devil Dive, you might as well write off the rest of your day if you get in line. I refused to ride it...The wait is just too ridiculous. Ninja was the only ride I noticed that was down all day..But I'm not shedding any tears over that. With the wait times, I basically rode 6 rides all day. Even the concessions were slow, confusing orders left and right. A lot of teenagers, nice teenagers, but sometimes clueless teenagers. I'm just gonna blame management on that one.

One last thing, if you plan on bringing a bottle of water into the park, don't open it before you go in. They have a new policy that you can't bring in an open bottle of water now. ???. Never a problem in the past. I guess to many people sneaking vodka in...Who knows? Whatever.

Sounds like a bad day, eh? Negative...Still had a blast! I love SFOG even with its faults. It's my home park...I'll love it to the day I die.

I'm not sure if the water bottle is a new policy I have been hit by it the last two years. I always forget! Sometimes they stop me sometimes they don't..

Basically it was explained to me as a way to keep people from sneaking alcohol into the park.

They also make you dump your six flags cups if you go to your car and back.. I had to do that two times last season

I guess it just depends who is at the gate

They are fine with closed unopened factory sealed water bottles.. If you bring a refillable bottle like a nalgene or something they will make you dump it and refill it in the park

basically if there is any chance of you sneaking something in they make you dump it

I usually go Sunday morning when the park isn't crowded at all..

Wonder if mind bender even has the second train repaired? Last year it was one train all season [emoji26]

I'll be there next weekend probably.. I normally go Saturday and then head back Sunday for an hour or two until it gets crowded after 2 or 3

Can't wait! Might have to get a flash pass for batman though

What was the cost of the flash pass this year? I have a feeling it went up BC I got a survey asking how much I was willing to spend on one.. Hopefully people didn't say like $75 for the regular hahaha!

The second train to Mindbender is still in pieces you can see it going down the first drop. I think the weather might have had something to do with it being so crowded today, it was cloudy and crappy all day yesterday, I went and got my pass processed and stayed an hour before I had to check into my hotel room and I got 5 rides in a row on Goliath, so I'm assuming a lot of people treated today as the real opening day since it was sunny and low 70's. The platinum was $80, you get $5 off with your pass, last summer I got a platinum at Great America for me and my sister and dropped $220, so I'm not sure if they go up during peak season, or if it differs from park to park, Also Ninja & Monster Mansion were both closed, but they remained active on the Flash Pass, while Batman said closed on the flash pass when it went down. I was there about 4 1/2 hours today and this was my ride count

GA Cyclone:2

Scorcher:1 [ I was going to do my reride, but when I was sitting in the brake run, I got a buzz that Batman had reopened after being down all morning, so I flew]

Goliath:8

Daredevil:5

Mindbender:2

Batman:2

Scream Machine:2

I was going to do Superman, but after Batman backwards disoriented me, I decided to leave, so maybe it was a good thing I didn't ride it till later in the day.

That's a bummer BC mindbender can get a pretty long line with just one train.. I was hoping they would have had it fixed this season.. This makes me believe they really don't have any intentions to actually fix the second train lol

Did they ever say what was wrong with the second train?? I've been on Mindbender sans flash pass before with one train operations, and I have to hand it to them, they haul ass, where as on most other rides one train operations are a death sentence.

Wonder if mind bender even has the second train repaired? Last year it was one train all season [emoji26]

I'll be there next weekend probably.. I normally go Saturday and then head back Sunday for an hour or two until it gets crowded after 2 or 3

What was the cost of the flash pass this year? I have a feeling it went up BC I got a survey asking how much I was willing to spend on one.. Hopefully people didn't say like $75 for the regular hahaha!

The second train to Mindbender is still in pieces you can see it going down the first drop. I think the weather might have had something to do with it being so crowded today, it was cloudy and crappy all day yesterday, I went and got my pass processed and stayed an hour before I had to check into my hotel room and I got 5 rides in a row on Goliath, so I'm assuming a lot of people treated today as the real opening day since it was sunny and low 70's. The platinum was $80, you get $5 off with your pass, last summer I got a platinum at Great America for me and my sister and dropped $220, so I'm not sure if they go up during peak season, or if it differs from park to park, Also Ninja & Monster Mansion were both closed, but they remained active on the Flash Pass, while Batman said closed on the flash pass when it went down. I was there about 4 1/2 hours today and this was my ride count

Scorcher:1 [ I was going to do my reride, but when I was sitting in the brake run, I got a buzz that Batman had reopened after being down all morning, so I flew]

I was going to do Superman, but after Batman backwards disoriented me, I decided to leave, so maybe it was a good thing I didn't ride it till later in the day.

That's a bummer BC mindbender can get a pretty long line with just one train.. I was hoping they would have had it fixed this season.. This makes me believe they really don't have any intentions to actually fix the second train lol

Did they ever say what was wrong with the second train?? I've been on Mindbender sans flash pass before with one train operations, and I have to hand it to them, they haul A$$, where as on most other rides one train operations are a death sentence.

Last year the train was stripped down to the guts.. Maybe they are refurbishing it? Idk but it was probably as stripped down as they could get it

Did they ever say what was wrong with the second train?? I've been on Mindbender sans flash pass before with one train operations, and I have to hand it to them, they haul A$$, where as on most other rides one train operations are a death sentence.

Last year the train was stripped down to the guts.. Maybe they are refurbishing it? Idk but it was probably as stripped down as they could get it

Given that this has been such a long rehab, my thought was that they may be doing some extra preventative maintenance to make sure that the issues that Shockwave at SFOT had back in 2013 don’t repeat themselves on Mindbender.

So, with namtaB and Mindbender both running one train, does anybody have input on what rides to hit in what order? I'll be visiting for the first time in two Saturdays from now, and while I had originally assumed that DDD or Goliath would be most popular it definitely sounds like namtaB has to come first. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

So, with namtaB and Mindbender both running one train, does anybody have input on what rides to hit in what order? I'll be visiting for the first time in two Saturdays from now, and while I had originally assumed that DDD or Goliath would be most popular it definitely sounds like namtaB has to come first. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

DDD was also running only two (of four) trains on opening day, which makes an already low capacity ride nearly unbearable. Also, Ninja was not open the other day and no trains were in sight.

My advice would be to start with namtaB, and then work your way back toward the front of the park. So after starting with namtaB, you would go to Mindbender, then DDD (if it’s open by this time, it frequently doesn’t open with the park), then Scorcher. Scorcher and DDD can be interchanged if DDD isn’t open yet. Doing it that way should knock out the lowest capacity rides (outside of Superman) first with minimal amounts of walking (the park has several BIG hills). Assuming that goes according to plan, you really shouldn’t have too much trouble hitting Goliath, Cyclone, and GASM as they all move through people pretty well. That would only leave Superman, which moves kind of slowly due to finicky restraints, but otherwise isn’t too bad.

IMO, Cyclone is excellent and airtime filled in the second to last row. Also, for the smoothest ride on GASM, try to sit in the middle row of any car or the front row. If you like drop rides, Acrophobia is generally very well regarded. If you enjoy dark rides, Monster Mansion is very well done and worth a wait (it was beautifully redone a few years back). Very un-Six Flags in the best way. While the park gets very busy in the summer, you shouldn’t have any trouble knocking out all the major stuff and getting some rerides in this early in the season with a little strategy. Hope you enjoy your time in our park!

I've been planning to go to the park for 3 or 4 days early next month, but hearing Mind Bender is only running one train, I might shorten my trip. What a bummer... I remember when the ride had 3 trains.

How's Georgia Cyclone faring these days? I know the first 2 drops had topper track put on, I'm looking forward to seeing what that is like. On my visits in 2011 and 2007, it was a horribly rough AND slow ride. I wish I could beem back to 1990, what a ride that was!

Looks like a pretty weekend is coming up in Atlanta so I'll probably be driving down this weekend getting a room and enjoying the park Saturday and Sunday.. I really hope they have more trains running on batman! If not, flashpass it is.. I'm normally able to put off the flashpass until fright fest lol

But it it sounds as if they are running limited capacity on the rides.. Hopefully it was just due to the rainy weekend (even though Sunday was pretty).. I know they park is usually not very crowded on Sunday so hopefully they where just caught off guard.. I can't imagine why any park would run one train on opening weekend!!

This is the earliest I have visited though, normally I don't make it out until memorial day weekend

I've been planning to go to the park for 3 or 4 days early next month, but hearing Mind Bender is only running one train, I might shorten my trip. What a bummer... I remember when the ride had 3 trains.

How's Georgia Cyclone faring these days? I know the first 2 drops had topper track put on, I'm looking forward to seeing what that is like. On my visits in 2011 and 2007, it was a horribly rough AND slow ride. I wish I could beem back to 1990, what a ride that was!

Mind Bender has been running just one train since I believe late July of last summer. The train is in pieces between the maintenance building and the first loop and seems to have not been moved since being placed there, which makes me wonder how much longer it will be that way. I mean 8 months is a long time for one train operations and you would think they could have pretty much any issue fixed by now. I really hope they are actually working on it...

Georgia Cyclone has the topper track from the first drop through the bottom of the second drop as you mentioned. I was a bit skeptical at first but hopestly topper track is AMAZING on the ride. Sadly they never continued that job but they did retrack the third drop with new wood, and retracked a few other small parts along the course. It is running MUCH better than it has in previous years. The front seat isn't even rough now and the front of the last car is only a bit rough and the airtime is great.

GASM was running great in my opinion in 2012/2013, but last year was pretty bad. It has become rough and that masks the floater airtime. Luckily the did retrack the first half of the return stretch but it needs more work honestly.

Ninja is also a much more enjoyable ride than it was a few years ago. The Arrow trains helped a lot and the ride has just become consistently smoother. I actually really enjoy it now. The slight headbanging doesn't bother me whereas a few years ago it was awful.

Also, a heads up for your visit, operation opening weekend were terrible compared to previous years. Extremely slow dispatches on most rides, Ninja is completely closed, Mind Bender is 1 train, Batman Backwards has been 1 train or non-operational, DDD has just 2 of 4 cars running, GASM had 1 train when I was there, Monster Mansion was closed, the water rides don't look like they have been prepped at all so who knows if they will be open. The park has been getting progressively better with operations in 2013 and 2014 so I was really disappointed to see how poor the operations are starting off this season.

^Thanks for the heads up! It's such a shame the operations are poor, and more coaster trains aren't running. On all my visits since the early 90s, operations at the park have been poor. It's kind of par for Six Flags' reputation as the "wal-mart" of the theme park industry, but it still stinks. Things were running better when Shapiro was in charge.

Luckily, I'll be there on a Thurs/Fri, and then a weekend event (including 1 hour ERT on 3 coasters), so I'll probably get plenty of rides in.

Mind Bender has been running just one train since I believe late July of last summer. The train is in pieces between the maintenance building and the first loop and seems to have not been moved since being placed there, which makes me wonder how much longer it will be that way. I mean 8 months is a long time for one train operations and you would think they could have pretty much any issue fixed by now. I really hope they are actually working on it...

Georgia Cyclone has the topper track from the first drop through the bottom of the second drop as you mentioned. I was a bit skeptical at first but hopestly topper track is AMAZING on the ride. Sadly they never continued that job but they did retrack the third drop with new wood, and retracked a few other small parts along the course. It is running MUCH better than it has in previous years. The front seat isn't even rough now and the front of the last car is only a bit rough and the airtime is great.

GASM was running great in my opinion in 2012/2013, but last year was pretty bad. It has become rough and that masks the floater airtime. Luckily the did retrack the first half of the return stretch but it needs more work honestly.

Ninja is also a much more enjoyable ride than it was a few years ago. The Arrow trains helped a lot and the ride has just become consistently smoother. I actually really enjoy it now. The slight headbanging doesn't bother me whereas a few years ago it was awful.

Also, a heads up for your visit, operation opening weekend were terrible compared to previous years. Extremely slow dispatches on most rides, Ninja is completely closed, Mind Bender is 1 train, Batman Backwards has been 1 train or non-operational, DDD has just 2 of 4 cars running, GASM had 1 train when I was there, Monster Mansion was closed, the water rides don't look like they have been prepped at all so who knows if they will be open. The park has been getting progressively better with operations in 2013 and 2014 so I was really disappointed to see how poor the operations are starting off this season.

Scream Machine was up to two trains on Sunday, Scorcher was also up to two trains on Sunday, from one on Saturday.. All the parks that have ran Batman backwards have ran two trains right?? I saw the other train in the transfer shed, and it looked to be turned in their backwards but it was hard to tell because I was in the back/front of the train. Log Jamboree was open, they usually open Thunder River and Splashwater around spring break, if you get a chance go to where the pay cannons are and look out on an empty thunder River, I think it's neat looking all drained.

Scream Machine was up to two trains on Sunday, Scorcher was also up to two trains on Sunday, from one on Saturday.. All the parks that have ran Batman backwards have ran two trains right?? I saw the other train in the transfer shed, and it looked to be turned in their backwards but it was hard to tell because I was in the back/front of the train. Log Jamboree was open, they usually open Thunder River and Splashwater around spring break, if you get a chance go to where the pay cannons are and look out on an empty thunder River, I think it's neat looking all drained.

I think its neat looking as well.. I love seeing it during fright fest when they normally have a haunted house back there.

I didn’t think the ops were *that* bad for an opening day weekend, or necessarily that much worse than they have been in previous years. There’s new ops and new procedures and lots of training happening, and despite best intentions, there will be some issues. Though you’re right that the park isn’t ready to go in a lot of areas right now, note that this is their first season after having a Holiday in the Park, which effectively cut their off-season maintenance time by almost half.

Any idea if there are plans to install topper track on GASM? Last time I rode it, even with the new wood on the return, it was still rough. I think it would be cool if it got a Texas Giant type makeover. Add a couple of heartline rolls and new trains and you'd have a win for me.

I'm not sure how easy this would be, and I'm sure the discussion has happened. I'm just late to the game.

Mindbender's single train status might be due to the scarcity of Intimin/Schwarzkopf rolling stock to pull from? I thought they were still running two trains, and just cannibalizing the third which may have finally run out of parts.

I'm just hoping they don't run out of money for green water dye.

This park still has a lot of work to do, but at least they are trying to go in the right direction.

Any idea if there are plans to install topper track on GASM? Last time I rode it, even with the new wood on the return, it was still rough. I think it would be cool if it got a Texas Giant type makeover. Add a couple of heartline rolls and new trains and you'd have a win for me.

The general consensus is that the Scream Machine will remain a traditional wooden coaster for the long haul. A combination of reasons for this... the layout probably isn't ideal for an I-box makeover, it maintains a "classic" type of reputation with its appearance and history, it has been fairly well maintained in comparison to the previous SF coaster revamped by RMC, etc.

Many argue Cyclone is a better candidate for an I-box revamp, for that matter, and I would agree.

That said, its Six Flags. You never really know what's on the chopping block these days; both Colossus and Cyclone were believed to be either safe or set to be scrapped until pretty much mid-summer.

Many argue Cyclone is a better candidate for an I-box revamp, for that matter, and I would agree.

That said, its Six Flags. You never really know what's on the chopping block these days; both Colossus and Cyclone were believed to be either safe or set to be scrapped until pretty much mid-summer.

Thanks for info! The thought never occurred Cyclone would be the better candidate, but that would give it more mass appeal. No one wants to ride Cyclone with me anymore because of how rough it can be, especially late in the season.

It seems to me that Six Flags is slowly trending towards hybridizing (is that a word?) all their wooden coasters, and who can blame them? RMC's refurbs are sexy as crap!

I was thinking GASM more so because of the expansion room around it. I know it's a classic, personally one of my favorites, but Colossus was a classic too.

I'm looking forward to the new cars on Ninja. I think I have partial hearing loss from the uncontrollable banging of my ears against the restraints.

I should file a SoB lawsuit. JK

^Thanks for the heads up! It's such a shame the operations are poor, and more coaster trains aren't running. On all my visits since the early 90s, operations at the park have been poor. It's kind of par for Six Flags' reputation as the "wal-mart" of the theme park industry, but it still stinks. Things were running better when Shapiro was in charge.

Luckily, I'll be there on a Thurs/Fri, and then a weekend event (including 1 hour ERT on 3 coasters), so I'll probably get plenty of rides in.

It is disappointing because operations were honestly pretty good last year. They really had everything together for Fright Fest and Holiday In The Park was pretty good as well. I hope it improves. I expected it to be better than opening day last year since their hiring process seems to have improved but I guess not.

You will be fine since you will be there for 3 days! I think you'll be impressed with Cyclone's improvement, even if it doesn't compare to when it first opened.

I'll be at the event on April 11th (I assume you mean Spring Fling) as well with my boyfriend. The ERT will be a great time to get night rides on Mind Bender and avoid the usual 1 train operations line.

I did see the second Batman train and it was backwards, so their intention at least is to run 2 trains.

Thunder River does look cool empty. When it is running it is probably the most realistic rapids ride I have seen. In the summer when a thunder storm rolls in they actually drain it for the storm then refill it (at least I have seen that). The process is really impressive! Very fast.

Anyone else happy that they're investing into Gotham City this year? I mean, we do get the Super Loop and Namtab, but I do like that Six Flags also invested into a Tilt-a-Whirl into the park as well. That's nice of them to give the park a little something extra instead of just the Super Loop. I still miss Wheelie, but at least the people at Fun Spot areally enjoying it.

I was there yesterday and they had both running on batman

As an FYI batman is not on regular or gold flash pass.. Must buy platinum for batman.. I just purchased the gold and waiting in line for batman.. 29 min wait right at opening with both trains going. Not sure about Sunday, it could be on all the passes on Sunday.. Also still no dare devil dive on regular or gold!

As for park operations I felt it was running smoothly.. Besides all the on the job training that was going on, I was happy with the operations.. Plus, on the job training is a must anyways so that is unavoidable..

Love how you can just buy a flash pass now! No more waiting for the spill about how it works to be over

Also love the green sports cup!! Free refills all season and only $4 more than the red (regular) sports cup.. No more buying wrist bands every visit for free soda haha..

Overall fun day, very crowded but gold flash pass did the trick! Most waits on it where under 20 mins

I was there yesterday and they had both running on batman

As an FYI batman is not on regular or gold flash pass.. Must buy platinum for batman.. I just purchased the gold and waiting in line for batman.. 29 min wait right at opening with both trains going. Not sure about Sunday, it could be on all the passes on Sunday.. Also still no dare devil dive on regular or gold!

As for park operations I felt it was running smoothly.. Besides all the on the job training that was going on, I was happy with the operations.. Plus, on the job training is a must anyways so that is unavoidable..

Love how you can just buy a flash pass now! No more waiting for the spill about how it works to be over

Also love the green sports cup!! Free refills all season and only $4 more than the red (regular) sports cup.. No more buying wrist bands every visit for free soda haha..

Overall fun day, very crowded but gold flash pass did the trick! Most waits on it where under 20 mins

That's strange about the flash pass because last Sunday I know I was in line with regular and gold users because of the color of the qbots, but like you said maybe it's because I went on Sunday with a flash pass, I do notice the prices seem to fluctuate on the time of year etc.. Also, did Daredevil Dive have all its cars back or was it down to 2 still?

I couldn't say.. It was moving very slow so I assume just two still.. I timed it and there was over a min wait between trains on the lift... If its not on the flash pass I don't ride it. Two years ago it was on the gold flash pass during fright fest.. That's been the only time I have been on it except for a few times on a Sunday morning before the crowd was big

Ninja was also still down so where the water rides.. Monster Mansion was operating though..

But yeah maybe batman is just not on the Saturday Flash pass or maybe they took it off the gold and regular trying to move more platinum.. Of course I heard people complain in every flash pass line to the flash pass op asking why batman wasn't on it.. They all said idk lol

Either way I ran to batman first and only waited 30 mins so it was bad yet