TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Yup the list is on their site but hasn't been updated in a while.. Also unconfirmed if anything in Gotham is opened.. Not mentioned on their site but myself and another forum member saw Christmas lights in that section during fright fest that we both assumed where for holiday in the park. If there aren't any rides open in that area I would imagine they would block it off at the train bridge so no need for lights.. but that's just me haha

The sfog website has their Christmas themed areas listed and rides in those areas but that page has been online for a few months so they might have changed it..

Again, seeing Christmas style lights in Gotham doesn't mean anything but worth mentioning that some where spotted so they might be opening that area as well hopefully with rides!!

Also, unless I missed it on their site, I didn't think I saw skyscrramer mentioned but one would think it would be open for Christmas for all the views at night of the lights!! Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately haven't been yet. From reading about it though, at least the lights portion, will be very comparable to Dollywood. Six flags probably won't have as many shows though..

Still heading to six flags for holiday in the park but it'll be one of its last days, probably sometime at the end of December.. Just haven't had time to make the trip..

Will be heading to Dollywood again though tomorrow!

Has anyone been to Hoiday in the Park yet? We want to either try that out or go to Dollywood's event. We'd be coming from KY so Dollywood would be much closer but we'd like to try something new if it is anything in comparison. Thanks!

I visited on opening day of the event. Overall, I thought it was pretty nice for its first year, but Dollywood does a better job of it IMO. What SFOG has decorated looks very good, but it could use a little more consistency. I did not get a chance to check out Monster Mansion, though.

Keep in mind that the park is only running 5 of its coasters, which was to be expected looking at their website. Goliath, Scorcher, and Cyclone were only running one train each during my visit, though... Not sure if this has changed since then.

The event is certainly worth checking out.

Edited by BrianGC

I'd love to see Holiday in the Park spread to more parks in the chain. SFSTL would look awesome covered in lights, and if SDC can stay open during the winter, we should be able to as well.

SFMM did a good job of it from what I could see, and I'm glad to here SFOG's is good as well.

I went to Holiday in the Park last night (Sunday 12/7) as well and was pleasantly surprised. One train ops on Goliath, Georgia Cyclone, and S:UF was annoying but I couldn't really complain since all three rides were no more than a 2 or 3 train wait throughout the night. By 8pm when we left, all rides appeared to be a walk-on or close to it. However, I have heard that Saturday nights are far more crowded and drew 1+ hour waits on Goliath and Cyclone, so YMMV.

As previous posters have indicated, the lights and atmosphere were well done. I did not get a chance to ride the Polar Express train but it seemed pretty popular. I hope they continue the event and open up more of the park in future seasons.

As an aside, to those who haven't ridden Georgia Cyclone this season because of bad rides from previous seasons, I highly encourage you to give it another try. The first two drops and turnaround have been completely replaced by RMC Topper Track, making the beginning of the ride glass smooth. The rest of the ride has also seen a great deal of retracking (but not with Topper Track) and it's a completely different ride from seasons past. There are still a few shaky spots but nowhere nearly the gut punching roughness the ride had been known for. Putting topper track on the entire ride would make this a truly superb ride, but it's not longer a defensive ride, IMO. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on both Sunday December 7 and Sunday December 14. They were running one train on most of the coasters. On the 14 I noticed Scorcher and Dahlonega were running 2 trains. The waits for the coasters were not bad though. DDD was running three cars but wouldn't dispatch a train until there was a train stacked, and the other train was just hitting the brake run.

I dont know if Six Flags has a temperature threshold where they close rides if its too cold like Dollywood. It was really cold on the 14. Acrophobia ended up being closed for the night (dont know if it was temp related). Though Superman was operating that night it was not behaving well. The train kept getting stuck on the brake run. When i rode it the train got stuck on the brake run for 40 minutes. They ended up having to evacuate us there as maintanence could not get the train to advance to the station.

I am planning to go next week as well.. I imagine it'll be busy but its the only time I have been able to make it this year!

Schools out, people traveling trying to find something to do while they are off, all of which I assume will make it busy

I went on Friday the 26th - I assumed it would be really crowded since it was a Friday night and the day after a Holiday (assumed people have off from work/school). The park wasn't as crowded as I had thought. DDD was running 4 trains, Scorcher 2 (I believe), Mine Train 2, Goliath 1, Acrophobia was closed, and I think Superman was open but I did not go back there to check it out. I was disappointed with Goliath running 1 train, but the LONGEST the line was was about 3/4 way through the first set of switchbacks out of the station (and that was between 4-7pm...before and after that the line didn't back into the switchbacks, even with 1 train operation). You're probably safe next week since I imagine people are back at work during the week except for maybe New Year's. None of the lines seemed bad at all, especially for a Friday.

Saw this rumor on Screamscape that SFOG might run Batman backwards this year.

Park News - (1/5/15) While the traveling Batman: Backwards train is expected to make a long appearance at Six Flags Great Adventure for the 2015 season, I'm now hearing that it is also very likely to show up at Six Flags over Georgia for part of the 2015 as well. Typically it ends up spending the early Spring season at one park and travels to another for the later half of the Summer and Fall season. Given that SFOG typically has a short fall season due to the early school start, I wouldn't be surprised to see Batman: Backwards at SFOG for the Spring.

I heard that rumor as well back in the summer from the park itself.. Employees said that sfog is one of the only parks that haven't had the backwards trains yet and they felt it would be their turn in 2015

I have already been telling my friends to watch for it so I hope it ends up being true!