TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

On their Holiday in the Park page, they list what's open under "What to Expect." In my experience with SFOT's Holiday in the Park, if it wasn't listed, it wasn't open. Even then, they had several rides listed on the site that were supposed to be open, but then they were closed (and apparently weren't supposed to be listed as open during the event).

Got it, that's the page I went to but it looked just like their fright fest and had the Christmas themed areas and mentioned what rides in those areas are opened which looked like most. During fright fest, a lot more is open than they post so I still wouldn't take that page for 100% truth

But like I said it doesn't mention anything about areas they don't have themed so they might be keeping Gotham closed.

Either way though your post had me worried but my most visited areas are open so I'll still be happy. If mind bender is open, that's just a plus!! Haha

BTW doesn't mean anything but they did have lights in the Gotham area for fright fest. They were not on so may not be Christmas colored lights but they where LED Christmas style lights on some of the concession stands.

They also had some trees wrapped beside batman it looked like but that could be for viewing from the parking lot

Again, not sure I'd the lights are for holiday in the park but they had started decorating other areas with lights as well so I assumed the lights in Gotham are Christmas but they might not be

BTW doesn't mean anything but they did have lights in the Gotham area for fright fest. They were not on so may not be Christmas colored lights but they where LED Christmas style lights on some of the concession stands.

They also had some trees wrapped beside batman it looked like but that could be for viewing from the parking lot

Again, not sure I'd the lights are for holiday in the park but they had started decorating other areas with lights as well so I assumed the lights in Gotham are Christmas but they might not be

I saw those lights in Gotham as well and assumed they are for HitP, but I don’t know for sure. As to how many rides/areas are listed on the “What to Expect” page, I believe that SFOG did try a HitP style event at one point in the late 80s and it wasn’t successful. I can only guess that they are playing it pretty conservative on how much they open until they see what attendance is like for this first year. I will certainly be visiting once or twice during HitP to check it out though.

Sooooooooooooooo now that all the parks around here have closed I'm steady planning a few long distance trips for 2015. I have family in Athens, GA (which I know is not exactly close but its much closer than I am now!) so thinking of a trip early in the season. I've heard really good things about this park and since it will be relatively easy to get to I'm making this my first focus of the new year and want to get the ball rolling soon.

Curious if the folks that are really familiar with this park can tell me - how early in the season does SFOG typically open? And when do weekday operations start? (Maybe they've already announced this but I haven't been paying attention.) Can all the coasters be done in a few hours with Flash Pass? Any days/times better than others to go for low crowds? Any must-dos other than the coasters? Any worth skipping? Best plan of attack to hit all the good ones in a few hours?

Their coaster line-up doesn't scream "AMAZING!" to me (likely because I already have B:TR and S:UF clone at my home park and I rode Ninja when it was Kamikaze in Wildwood) but Dare Devil Dive, Goliath, Mindbender and few others look pretty awesome.

I'll likely be with family that isn't trying to run from ride to ride, doing re-rides, etc. but I'd like to try to get on all of them at least once if possible. I'll be flying down and already have a place to stay so no lodging/driving advice needed. I will absolutely be budgeting a FP into this trip and will get one unless its absolutely dead. I've just started researching the park and don't know much about it so all the locals - clue me in if you can! Tips, insider knowledge, secret shortcuts, etc lol Thanks in advance.

This park can get REALLY crowded. When I was there, the line from the parking gates was backed onto the Interstate and then down the road a few miles (and this was the Sunday before Fright Fest started!). Mind Bender, Batman, Goliath, GASM, Superman, and Scorcher are the definite stand out coasters for me. Ninja and the Mine Train can be skipped if needed. As for non-coasters, I highly recommend Monster Mansion if you enjoy dark rides. It's adorable and absolutely fantastic (plus, it's on FP). Acrophobia is a fun "once in a lifetime" ride. It's a fun ride, but your man jewels will hate being landed on. The Riverview Carousel has a lot of history to it (Al Capone rode it), so it might be worth your time. It's a gorgeous park, and it's absolutely the most beautiful in the Six Flags chain.

Awesome, thanks. Keep in mind SFGAdv is my home park so I'm used to dealing with insane crowds. Again, I absolutely will budget a platinum pass into this trip. I refuse to travel to a park I don't go to frequently and stand in line, just seems like a huge waste of time.

Our park opens in mid-late March. Come in the first 2 months if you can. The park opens on weekdays once school is out which is late May/early June. Sundays are perfect before school gets out, especially if you can be at the entrance gate right before the park opens (and not just getting to the parking lot.) Go straight to the back of the park first (everyone hits the rides at the front first.) Hit Superman, GASM, Ninja and SkyScreamer back there (should not have any lines at all first thing in the morning.) If you are a credit whore, hit the kiddie coaster on the way to the mine train, then head to Acrophobia and GA Cyclone. Continue around to GA Scorcher, DDD, Batman, Mindbender and leave Goliath for last. That usually works and gets most people to the back of the park as you are heading back to the front. Superman, DDD and Acrophobia get the longest lines in the park.

^^ This is the type of info I'm looking for. I plan to go as early in the season as I can. Was hoping for a weekday but maybe a Sunday in March or April. Also, I didn't even realize they had that drop tower, so thats awesome!

Sooooooooooooooo now that all the parks around here have closed I'm steady planning a few long distance trips for 2015. I have family in Athens, GA (which I know is not exactly close but its much closer than I am now!) so thinking of a trip early in the season. I've heard really good things about this park and since it will be relatively easy to get to I'm making this my first focus of the new year and want to get the ball rolling soon.

Curious if the folks that are really familiar with this park can tell me - how early in the season does SFOG typically open? And when do weekday operations start? (Maybe they've already announced this but I haven't been paying attention.) Can all the coasters be done in a few hours with Flash Pass? Any days/times better than others to go for low crowds? Any must-dos other than the coasters? Any worth skipping? Best plan of attack to hit all the good ones in a few hours?

Their coaster line-up doesn't scream "AMAZING!" to me (likely because I already have B:TR and S:UF clone at my home park and I rode Ninja when it was Kamikaze in Wildwood) but Dare Devil Dive, Goliath, Mindbender and few others look pretty awesome.

I'll likely be with family that isn't trying to run from ride to ride, doing re-rides, etc. but I'd like to try to get on all of them at least once if possible. I'll be flying down and already have a place to stay so no lodging/driving advice needed. I will absolutely be budgeting a FP into this trip and will get one unless its absolutely dead. I've just started researching the park and don't know much about it so all the locals - clue me in if you can! Tips, insider knowledge, secret shortcuts, etc lol Thanks in advance.

The operating season used to start first weekend of March, but this past year they started operation on the 3rd weekend of March. March is a great time to go but only expect the last 2 weekends of March to be open. They only do Saturday and Sunday operation other than spring break (check Fulton and Cobb county school schedules), summer, and Friday's during October.

The park really is a nice park, but their operations are all over the place. I go at least a dozen times a year and some visits are terrible and others are great. Usually all the rides are open though. It is the slow operations and inconsistent weather policies that can really mess with your visit.

March usually isn't very busy, but spring break is terribly busy. Fast Lane is worth it though because the coaster line up is really solid. I don't think their is a bad coaster in the park.

- Dare Devil Dive is worth hitting first because the line is so slow (it has a single loading platform and each train is a 6 seat car)

- Georgia Cyclone has amazing ejector airtime in the back car, sit in the front of the back car. The begining is RMC topper track and there is new wood after that, but some sections with older track are a bit painful.

- Ninja operates pretty well now (I know you've been on it before the SF days). It is a bit of a headbanger but nothing much and I don't understand the hate. I love it.

- GASM could use some track work but it has pretty good airtime, both the very front and the front seat of the back car are worth it, both have great but different airtime.

- Mindbender is simply amazing, hopefully the 2nd train will be back in operation in the spring.

- Scorcher is the only good B&M stand up I've been on (and I've been on all of them except for Riddler's Revenge)

- Dahlonega Mine Train is worth the ride, the transitions are rough (I wish the seats were even slightly padded, they are rock solid) but it's a classic and an interesting layout.

- Superman is worth riding even if you have been on a clone, it's amazing how much more interesting the ride is with the terrain and tunnels.

- Canyon Blaster is a great custom kiddie/family coaster, it's a short but surprisingly exciting ride and you get some good airtime in the back on the first drop (protect your jewels from the T bar though)

Other notable rides:

- Acrophobia is pretty crazy. The stand up tilting seats make it so much better than the other drop towers. I never have a problem with the comfort of the seats personally other than my legs getting a bit tingly if I put the restraint on too tight.

- Monster Mansion is simply a great classic dark ride. It's quirky and well done. One of the best in the chain easily.

- Thunder River is possibly the most realistic rapids ride and the rapids you hit at the end are huge. It's my favorite rapids ride.

- Riverview Carousel is historic and has a beautiful setting (the hilltop, the trees, the building, the detail), worth at least walking around.

- Check out the Looney Tunes Exposition store on the left side of the main street, it's actually a nice looking store inside with some pretty cool themeing.

If you do the coasters in the right order first thing in the morning, you can do them all in a few hours even on the busiest day, but if you don't want to run from ride to ride at 10am, get a flash pass. Don't commit to buying one before arriving though. Many weekends before summer and excluding spring break can be managable.

BesI really enjoy the food at Miners Cookhouse even though it is still standard park food (Nice indoor seating area anyways, or watch the show will eating at the pavillion outside of it). Daddy-Os has BBQ. Panda Express is also decent if you are trying to stray from standard park foods. All these places have indoor seating (Johnny Rockets and Dee Jay's Diner does too).

Some helpful hints:

- Georgia Cyclone and Georgia Scorcher often open before the scheduled park opening time, as they often open the gates and the front area as much as 30 minutes early (they do not always do this though).

- Dare Devil Dive isn't always running first thing in the morning but if it is, go on it immediately or you will rot in line later

- Avoid the long journey of the Batman line by entering the exit/gift shop, heading for the exit ramp, then take the small gate on the right to avoid walking around the Gotham City Park section of the line.

- If the park isn't busy, or if rows are empty regardless, 95% of the time they allow you to reride. On GASM and Batman they have designated rows for Flash Pass that are blocked off and often empty. I've managed 10 rides in a row on both coasters when there was an hour+ line

I could probably go on and on with this but I'll leave it at this for now. Hope this helps.

Our park opens in mid-late March. Come in the first 2 months if you can. The park opens on weekdays once school is out which is late May/early June. Sundays are perfect before school gets out, especially if you can be at the entrance gate right before the park opens (and not just getting to the parking lot.) Go straight to the back of the park first (everyone hits the rides at the front first.) Hit Superman, GASM, Ninja and SkyScreamer back there (should not have any lines at all first thing in the morning.) If you are a credit whore, hit the kiddie coaster on the way to the mine train, then head to Acrophobia and GA Cyclone. Continue around to GA Scorcher, DDD, Batman, Mindbender and leave Goliath for last. That usually works and gets most people to the back of the park as you are heading back to the front. Superman, DDD and Acrophobia get the longest lines in the park.

This is pretty much spot on, although I might say hit DDD if you are there at opening, just to get right on it and avoid the terrible line later in the day (that is if it is open first thing in the morning).

The best I have ever done is on a busy Saturday in July, GA Cyclone and Scorcher were open a half hour early, I did both of them without a line, was first on DDD, then went to Goliath and got right on thanks to the capacity, then went to Batman and Mindbender and basically got right on. After that I headed to the back and all the coasters there were still running with empty rows. I essentially did all the credits without any waiting on a day that ended up having 2 hour lines.

It is true though, if you love classic woodies, head straight for GASM and chances are you can ride it without getting up for a half hour!

^^ This is the type of info I'm looking for. I plan to go as early in the season as I can. Was hoping for a weekday but maybe a Sunday in March or April. Also, I didn't even realize they had that drop tower, so thats awesome!

If you want to hit on a weekday look up the Atlanta area school schedule for this year. The past few years, sfog, has sometimes opened during the week of their spring break. Usually late march or early April.

No guarantee they will be open but I believe they where this year during spring break

I'm excited to try Georgia Cyclone again with all of the trackwork that has been done. Like was mentioned above, the 2nd to last seat is the only way to go on that ride. Great airtime!

I agree! It is a great seat.

I was disappointed they only did the first 2 drops with RMC topper track and never continued that project the next season. The airtime is even more noticable when you aren't being jackhammered in the train. The 3rd and 4th drop are good since they have almost all new wood, but after that it gets a bit rough. I don't like that the ride has 3 distinct sections of super smooth to average wooden coaster to OUCH. I wish they could topper track the whole course because that first quarter of the ride is excellent.

It will be much busier during the week for Spring Break than on a Sunday in March (or after Spring Break).

Acrophobia is the only 3rd Gen Intamin freefall that scares me. The stand up tilting seats are terrifying and the brakes hit very late during the fall. For a split second on every ride I think they won't kick in haha.

Basically everything has been covered here. I would just add emphasis to the fact that early season (Before school is out in mid-May) Sundays are typically fantastic times to visit the park, especially if you can be there at opening. Also, hit DDD as early as you can if it is open in the morning because the line will most likely be one of the worst in the park later in the day.

I could probably go on and on with this but I'll leave it at this for now. Hope this helps.

Absolutely, huge help. Thanks so much everyone. These responses are exactly why I love this board. I know its not for a while but you all have me stoked for what will likely be the start of 2015. From what I can tell and have heard the park is really nice, after reading about it and looking up stuff today I'm excited to check it out.

Went to the park on Sunday. I won't post a full TR, but I will comment on the woodies:

Cyclone was running *awesome* in the magic seat. No real roughness at all. Absolutely fantastic all around.

GASM, on the other hand, was miserable. Felt like it was running on square wheels and going through potholes. I've never understood the people that really enjoy this ride as I've never noticed any substantial airtime in the front or back. Feels like it traverses the course just a bit too slow for any real airtime. And then the brakes at the end are unnecessarily forceful.