TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Just a quick question for of SFOG regulars.

Can anyone tell me if SFOG has a single rider line? If so which rides have it? I've never been to the park and I'll be spending a day there by myself. It will be a Saturday in Mid-October. What kind of wait times do you all think I can expect?? Thanks in advance!

I visit SFOG around 12-24 times a year for the last 8 years (excessive I know...) and I usually go the most during Fright Fest because of the late hours and coaster riding in the dark!

Saturdays in October are usually very busy. Luckily they are open from 10am to midnight so you will be able to do everything if you have the endurance for it I definitely suggest getting to the park about 45 minutes early so you can park and be at the front gate 30 minutes early. They often open the gates up to 30 minutes early. If you don't have a season pass, buy tickets online in advance (the ticket lines can be dreadful). If they do open the gates early, often times only the front area is open and the rest is roped off, but if you are lucky they will have Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone open. Do those if that is the case. Then wait for them to drop the ropes and go to DDD first (the capacity is terrible so this will be the only time to ride it without waiting hours). Sometimes it isn't open on time so if that is the case, good luck haha. I usually do a quick ride on Goliath after that since the line doesn't get full very fast. After that I suggest you go to Gotham City and do both Batman and Mindbender. My last few visits Mindbender only had 1 train (other train was in pieces) so that line might become unbearable later. Batman gets a long line too. After riding those 2 go to the back of the park and do Superman (another line that gets really long). Scream Machine and Ninja (which never gets a long line) are there as well. At that point if you are lucky you've covered all of the major coasters before the lines get really busy. This only works if they are providing good operations the day you are there though.

Acrophobia is one of the most terrifying drop towers, so don't miss that (the line moves slowly but it is worth it for 1 ride I would say). If you have never done a Sky Screamer it is fun, but it isn't any different than the rest really. Both of the parks family coasters are solid rides so do those too. Both have surprising airtime in the back row. Cyclone will beat you up on the 2nd half but the back car has crazy ejector air

Personally these are my favorite night rides: Goliath, Mindbender, and GASM.

If they are really swamped the day you go and you can't do a mad run to all of the coasters in the morning, it might be worth getting a flash pass, but if you are there all day and can deal with waiting you really don't need one to enjoy all the coasters and do a few multiple times.

So I found out today that this past weekend was Military Appreciation Day (free admission for active duty military and up to 3 dependents). But apparently no one in their PR department was thinking because Sunday was also Muslim Friends and Family Day. I work with a former Marine who was deployed to Iraq and went to the park on Sunday. He said it was incredibly awkward.

Thank you all for the advice!! I well most likely be getting a Flash Pass. Anyone know what all rides it is good for? And how the que for the flash pass works? As in what part of the line does the flash pass empty into?

^ That's to funny!!! Obviously PR was not thinking very well!

Thank you all for the advice!! I well most likely be getting a Flash Pass. Anyone know what all rides it is good for? And how the que for the flash pass works? As in what part of the line does the flash pass empty into?

^ That's to funny!!! Obviously PR was not thinking very well!

Flash Pass works on the following rides (includes all coasters):

Acrophobia, BATMAN: THE RIDE, Wile E. Coyote Canyon Blaster, Dare Devil Dive, Dahlonega Mine Train, Dodge City Bumper Cars, Georgia Cyclone, Goliath, GOTHAM CITY Crime Wave, Mind Bender, Monster Mansion, Ninja, SkyScreamer, Splashwater Falls, SUPERMAN: ULTIMATE FLIGHT, The Georgia Scorcher, The Great American Scream Machine, and Thunder River.

I have always purchased the Platinum Flash Pass because it gets you straight onto the rides and they often have a special offer with a wristband that allows you to stay in your seat for a second ride (and get assulted by the angry GP who is next in line LOL). You would probably be fine with Gold which cuts half the wait time, then regular is the same wait time (you just don't have to be in line).

Flash Pass entry brings you right into the station. Most coasters have their own Flash Pass entry which brings you into the station where you pick your row (so you wait a few rides but get to sit where you want) however they will assign you a seat on the rides with Flash Pass entry through the exit (This has ruined Flash Pass and other fast lane systems for me at some parks) but SFOG isn't too bad. This only happens on Batman (they will place you in one of the last 2 rows), Mine Train (they assign you to the 2nd car) and Great American Scream Machine (they place you in the 2nd or 3rd row of the 3rd car, if Flash Pass is really busy they will hold everyone and dedicate an entire train to Flash Pass).

Keep in mind the Flash Pass center gets really busy and the line gets really long if the park is packed so if you anticipate a really busy day, get there early and go straight there when the gates open to the park.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be getting there shortly after park opening, but I have already bought my Flash Pass online, so hopefully the day wont be to bad! I am really looking forward to this visit! Cant wait to ride Goliath! It looks awesome!

I'm going to the park tomorrow and i'll probably bring back some pictures.

Hopefully there's construction.

In other news, I think this is a great idea:

I think if Six Flags could pull off a Gotham Carnival style look for these two new rides, then this might actually be the most theming Six Flags has had in any of their parks. You have to admit, the area is already one of the better themed Gotham zones out of all the Six Flags parks.

Re-themeing Gotham City to Gotham City Carnival.

The area already LOOKS like a carnival in the middle of a city park. The carnival games and remote control trucks could finally fit the theming. Mindbender could actually be given a STORY. Like, say, Riddler turned an ordinary fair coaster into a Mind-Bending thrill ride.

It just makes too much sense to not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the Atlanta area for a job interview, so I took some time on Sunday to visit SFOG since I don't know if I would be back or not (the interview well, but we'll see.)

Anyway, I only had a couple hours, so I splurged on a Flash Pass to ensure I got on everything I could (it was largely not needed except for Superman: UF, Goliath, Batman and Mind Bender; DDD was not on the pass for some reason)

It was a decent afternoon, while the park may be lacking in a truly SIGNATURE ride, most were quite good (with a couple notable exceptions) and the park is really rather beautiful (even quaint in places). Biggest demerit: Slowest. Ride. Ops. Ever.

Some random highlights:

Lived Up to Reputation: Mind Bender. Wish there were more of these around.

Most Pleasant Surprise: Georgia Scorcher. I'd heard it was probably the best Stand-Up out there and it wasn't just "Good for a stand-up" it was legitimately good in general!

I Don't Know Why I Was Hopeful Award: Ninja. My first Vekoma non-Boomerang or Flyer. I hoped without the backwards-i-ness, it would be OK. Oops. My neck may never be the same.

All Clones are NOT Created Equal: Superman: Ultimate Flight. It's amazing what a difference the environment makes with this ride as compared to the one at SFGAdv.

A Little Topper Track Can Go a Long Way: Georgia Cyclone. I actually really liked the layout and banking on this one. But that bouncing and shuffling is a serious distraction from what could be a fun classic-style woodie.

Not Bad but Lacking that Certain Something: Great American Scream Machine. Another woodie that could have a great classic feel, but, IDK, something is just missing here.

Can't Go Wrong With: Goliath, Dare Devil Dive and Batman. Nothing stands out, per se, but that doesn't mean they aren't quality rides.

All in All, it was a fun couple hours and if I wind up in the area, I will be curious to spend more time investigating the smaller things the park has to offer.

Can someone tell me how early in the season this park typically opens? My sister just moved close by so I'm trying to plan a trip to stay with her (and hit up this park) while I'm there. Shooting for very early spring. They open in March?

Can someone tell me how early in the season this park typically opens? My sister just moved close by so I'm trying to plan a trip to stay with her (and hit up this park) while I'm there. Shooting for very early spring. They open in March?

Yes, they typically open in mid March. This past year opening day was March 16th.

I think if Six Flags could pull off a Gotham Carnival style look for these two new rides, then this might actually be the most theming Six Flags has had in any of their parks. You have to admit, the area is already one of the better themed Gotham zones out of all the Six Flags parks.

Re-themeing Gotham City to Gotham City Carnival.

The area already LOOKS like a carnival in the middle of a city park. The carnival games and remote control trucks could finally fit the theming. Mindbender could actually be given a STORY. Like, say, Riddler turned an ordinary fair coaster into a Mind-Bending thrill ride.

It just makes too much sense to not work.

I'm all for it. I'd love to see this happen. It doesn't seem to require much extra effort from Six Flags based on what's already there. It almost makes its own consistent storyline as well: Folks venture out to a relatively quiet corner of town and pass under a railroad bridge to visit a carnival, hosted by the one, the only, Joker.

I would guess mid March. They always open either the week before Dollywood or the week after and Dollywood always opens mid march.

Keep in mind sfog is only open on Saturday and Sunday's usually until around memorial day.

If you want a weekday trip search for the Atlanta school schedule. Typically sfog is open all week during the Atlanta area spring break. Usually late March or very early April.

Visited the park this weekend for fright fest! Great fun like always

Enjoyed the new haunted houses. All rides where great. Purchased a gold flash pass to ride rides in the dark.

Had a lot of fun like always

I also want to say thanks to Dale, the park president, who responses personally to an email about a defective T-shirt that I didn't see a problem with until I got home. Sending a replacement to me!

Who says six flags doesn't have good customer service

Great time at the park!

Anyone who is planning a trip six flags was very very busy at night just like last year. Need a flash pass if you plan on doing night time coasters and a fee haunted houses.! The haunted houses are getting much bigger and better than the past.. The new zx1 or whatever was very enjoyable

• 2 weeks later...
Visited the park this weekend for fright fest! Great fun like always

Enjoyed the new haunted houses. All rides where great. Purchased a gold flash pass to ride rides in the dark.

Had a lot of fun like always

I also want to say thanks to Dale, the park president, who responses personally to an email about a defective T-shirt that I didn't see a problem with until I got home. Sending a replacement to me!

Who says six flags doesn't have good customer service

Great time at the park!

Anyone who is planning a trip six flags was very very busy at night just like last year. Need a flash pass if you plan on doing night time coasters and a fee haunted houses.! The haunted houses are getting much bigger and better than the past.. The new zx1 or whatever was very enjoyable

Curious, did you go on a Saturday or Sunday that weekend? Just wondering what Sunday crowds are like. I went on a Saturday in late September while Frightfest was going on and it was pretty busy, and trying to gauge whether a Sunday visit would be worthwhile this weekend.

I went both days Sunday was walk on for most of everything until about 2:30 when I left.

I always like hitting right after opening on Sunday BC of the lines being very low. I was able to ride superman 5 or 6 times without getting off. Same for a few other rides.

Not sure how it gets later on Sunday though. I do know Saturday is very very crowded

I just left from Fright Fest. I went to get a general overview of what the park is like. I would like to know if people know what the park typically is like the Sunday after Halloween. That is when I will go to experience the coasters in the dark. I would have ridden Mind Bender, but that was closed for some reason.

Generally, Six Flags parks are not open after Halloween weekend, unless SFoG does things differently.

2008 is the last time that Halloween fell on a Friday or Saturday and I'm not sure if the SFoG was opened on November 1st and 2nd that year.

Sfog is open after Halloween due to their Christmas event this year. They have a few things in Nov leading into it. Not sure what days they are actually open though so check the schedule!

I think your normally right and they are closed the weekend after Halloween until the next season

And don't they have a few weekends in between in which they will be open as well? I thought I saw that on the calendar. A few weekend special event days between now and then. Might be a good time to also ride after dark due to the time change. I know they will not be open as late but it'll also get dark earlier

So I was looking at the Holiday in the Park ride list, and I'm really disappointed with it. I was thinking about driving down for it, but there's only three rides that I really enjoy that will be open: Scorcher, Goliath, and Monster Mansion. As awesome as a Holiday themed Monster Mansion will be, I just don't think it's worth the trip. If they decide to open GASM and/or Mindbender, maybe I'll make the trip.

Also, since Acrophobia is going to be open...maybe an appropriate Holiday theme would be the Nutcracker?

BTW where did u find a ride list? The one I found on their site has a few rides but also says "more to come"

Most rides in the sections of the park it mentions will be open. By sections I mean it mentioned Christmas themed areas and it looks like all rides in those areas are open... It doesn't mention anything about Gotham or the superman area but it also doesn't say rides in those areas are closed? They just don't have a Christmas theme? Or haven't announced a Christmas theme yet

Do they have another ride list somewhere

I would assume all batman, Superman, and scream machine will be open but who knows! Lol