TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

^ & ^^ Don't hold your breath. 2016 is supposed to be more HH poo-poo.

I know that's what Screamscape threw out there the other day, but we’ll see. There is plenty of time for change between now and then. All I’m saying is that RMC is going through the SF chain two parks at a time right now, and I would tend to think that of the remaining parks without a RMC, we would beat out SFDK and SFA. Perhaps 2016 will be the year for SFStl and SFGAdv (though I’m of the mind that it’s kind of silly to add a RMC when you already have one of the best woodies in the world in El Toro) instead of us though. I welcome water park expansion as it means sorter lines for me in the dry park, but I would hope that if they’re going to expand they do it right with a solid slide complex with multiple slides or a big lazy river or something of that nature.

Dear diary,

Seems like lots of people whose home park is SFoG has a sense of entitlement.

It's freakin hilarious to see the comments on Facebook saying that's SFoG is the red headed step child of Six Flags. I'm like uhmmm no, try SFSTL.

Edited by ArizonaGuy

Dear diary,

It's freakin hilarious to see the comments on Facebook saying that's SFoG is the red headed step child of Six Flags. I'm like uhmmm no, try SFSTL.

So true. The GP have no idea how well-rounded and generally cared for SFOG is compared to some of the other parks in the chain... Though it does look like SFStl finally got something decent this year with a top notch, state of the art dark ride.

Dear diary,

So true. The GP have no idea how well-rounded and generally cared for SFOG is compared to some of the other parks in the chain... Though it does look like SFStl finally got something decent this year with a top notch, state of the art dark ride.

SFA and SFDK have it way worse than our park. We get good additions every once and awhile (Boomerang, well, not so much).

SFOG is a great park, with some great coasters-Goliath is in my top five steel and there are some great classic rides at the park like Mindbender and Monster Mansion. In the past few years, however, there have been some lapses in quality as far as general operations, upkeep and so forth.

I can really only speak for myself here, but I think that the primary reason that those of us who call it our home park are disappointed in the recent announcements is that we don't want to see it become a park like SF St. Louis or SF America, which seem to always get a raw deal when the new additions come. Dare Devil Dive is a fun little coaster, and SkyScreamer is a nice flat ride, but the last "big" addition was Goliath 8 years ago, and to get smaller rides a few years in a row is just a shade disappointing when other parks and other chains are getting major additions. Not everyone is a water park fan...I think it was a good decision, but I feel that they should invest more in the dry side of the park. While I think flat rides are good, essentially they are hyping up two low capacity carnival rides as major additions and calling one of them a "coaster". I get the frustration with that, because I feel the same way. That said-I still did renew my pass for 2015 (although I support those who elect not to), even though I will likely spend more time at Dollywood and Carowinds this coming year.

It isn't to me about a sense of entitlement, as much as it may seem that way to some. And I also don't feel that it is corporate somehow "dissing" certain parks while favoring others...I think SF is experiencing some serious issues at the top which caused them to have to make some decisions which ultimately led to some being let down. I think when people see Great America can get a brand new $16 Million B&M one year and then a brand new RMC the following year, and their park gets smaller additions, that seems a bit unbalanced. I am hoping that 2016 or at least 2017 will finally bring something big coaster wise again. Given the competition in the region (Carowinds with Fury325 for 2015 and the rumored something major for Dollywood in 2016) I think they might.

I think that the flat rides are, overall, good for the park.

Calling the Super Loop a "coaster" bugs me a bit.

If you look at how much they have improved from 10+ years ago, it's pretty amazing:

- trash cans get emptied

- park is A LOT cleaner

- employees are much friendlier and much more attentive. 10 years ago they were on the ride-phones talking about nothing all day and not even checking restraints.

- they're actually putting out more flowers and trying to do more landscaping which, I think, is a really good thing.

I think that during the 1990s everything was becoming a "coaster park". It wasn't about integrating a ride into the environment or trying to have a well balanced theme park. Each year it was, "Let's take out part of the parking lot and add a new coaster!"

Compare the Mind Bender to Batman or Scorcher. Batman was basically, "Take part of the parking lot," and Scorcher didn't have any trees or anything added just a bunch of granite underneath. No landscaping at all when, if they had taken time with some trees, etc., it'd be quite nice by now.

It's a bit like going to a steak house and asking, "What are your sides?" "We have steak as a side!".. Or, "What desserts do you offer?" and getting, "We have Filet Mignon!" It's not a good time when that happens. You need the sides.

I think a lot of folks expect the next "bigger than Goliath" ride and, in reality, because of the nearby airport, that's as good as it's going to get.

Even if you don't like it, Hurricane Harbor WAS a major addition. It's not like they only spent a couple million to build it. It was a multimillion dollar expansion.

And from what i've seen it attracts a lot of GP.

The first thing I ever hear when I go to the park with distant family is "Does it have a water park?" and the first thing I hear when I say there is one and it comes with park admission is celebration. It also gets to be one of the most crowded places in the park. I had to wait in lines even when it had rained earlier that day on one of my first visits to the water park. Really the last thing I want to hear in this thread is people complaining about the water park expansion. Not only did it have some really fun slides, it was a smart buisness move.

Even if you don't like it, Hurricane Harbor WAS a major addition. It's not like they only spent a couple million to build it. It was a multimillion dollar expansion.

The first thing I ever hear when I go to the park with distant family is "Does it have a water park?" and the first thing I hear when I say there is one and it comes with park admission is celebration. It also gets to be one of the most crowded places in the park. I had to wait in lines even when it had rained earlier that day on one of my first visits to the water park. Really the last thing I want to hear in this thread is people complaining about the water park expansion. Not only did it have some really fun slides, it was a smart buisness move.

I hear the same thing from my friends. An included water park is a pretty huge value. While HH isn’t something I necessarily enjoy, there is no question that it was smart business and the GP eat it up. Based on my experience of 22 trips to the park in the last three years (6 of which have been this season), it definitely seems like overall attendance is up and HH is a hit, which can only mean good things.

I am glad I went to hurricane harbor during the sneak preview weekend BC all other times it has been so crowded I haven't even wanted to go in!!

Its a very very popular area and I remember on sneak preview weekend, leaving the park with a towel (that I purchased in the park BTW BC they had told me hh was closed) people kept asking me if there was a pool in the park as I was leaving. It seemed to excite everyone!

I think it was a great addition and I wish other parks (hint hint Dollywood) would include the water park in the price of admission

When I went to the water park, it didn't seem too crowded to me, but maybe everyone there that day was more into coasters or something At any rate, water parks are definitely not my thing unless they're run by Disney, Herschend, or some really clean foreign park. Surprisingly, HH was not too stinky, compared to other parks that reek of chlorine and urine.

As for the two flat rides, I do wish Six Flags had gone with some other choices. Someone needs to bring some permanent Technical Park rides to the states. I am happy they're expanding the flat choices, but it seems for every one they add, they're removing one or more. SFOG has negative numbers for adult flat rides since 1985

-1 - Removal of Shake Rattle 'N Roll

-1 - Removal of Looping Starship

-1 - Removal of Free Fall

-1 - Removal of Flying Dutchman

-1 - Removal of Great Gasp

-1 - Removal of The Great Six Flags Air Race

-1 - Removal of Highland Swings

+1 - Addition of Crime Wave

+1 - Addition of Sky Screamer

+1 - Addition of Acrophobia

+1 - Addition of Joker's Chaos (don't wanna put the last word)

+1 - Addition of Harly Quinn's Spinsanity

Granted we did gain coasters from these removals as well, but you see the point? I'm going for a Carowinds pass next year, and plan to visit that park numerous times, as well as King's Dominion. Now that Alabama Adventure is opening back up, I think I might try to venture there too.

I'm really excited about the announcement at Carowinds, but parks fluctuate with their offerings. After this $50 million investment, Carowinds will more than likely pull back the reigns for a few years, and by then Six Flags will have added something great (hopefully).

I think with carowinds new coaster in 2015 and Dollywood rumored to have a new coaster in 2016 six flags will want one to.

Dollywood has already said their 2016 ride will cost around 20million (they actually said around the same price as wild eagle which was 20mil). Most people think a ride of that cost is a coaster and a big one at that.

All three of these parks are in competition even if it doesn't look like it. All three are in serious multimillion dollar upgrades right now as we speak.

Im excited to see what 2016 has for six flags!

Just a quick question for of SFOG regulars.

Can anyone tell me if SFOG has a single rider line? If so which rides have it? I've never been to the park and I'll be spending a day there by myself. It will be a Saturday in Mid-October. What kind of wait times do you all think I can expect?? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone tell me if SFOG has a single rider line? If so which rides have it? I've never been to the park and I'll be spending a day there by myself. It will be a Saturday in Mid-October. What kind of wait times do you all think I can expect?? Thanks in advance!

^ Yeah, the single rider lines are basically useless for cutting down on wait times since they’re only in the stations. As to your question about lines, I went around mid-October last year and things were pretty busy, but I had enough time to get everything but Dare Devil Dive, with several rerides on Goliath, Mindbender, and Batman.

If you want to ride all the major rides, get there early (I typically shoot for 20 minutes prior to opening as it is common for them to begin letting guests in early) and start with the lowest capacity rides first (Scorcher, DDD, Superman). I pretty much always start with Scorcher because it’s right at the front of the park and typically opens about when they start letting guests in, even if that is early. I would expect crowds to get heavier as the day goes on though and if you’re interested in doing mazes on top of all the major rides, a Flash Pass would be recommended.

On a SATURDAY?! Get there early and stay late unless you want to wait for 4 hours. Which has happened to me before. On a saturday, in mid-october.