TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

^LOL - agreed.

I, for one, hope they are getting something great next year.

For the record - SFoG is one of my all time favorite places. I worked there when I was a teenager, and have always loved the park.

I know that the waterpark addition will be great for the park, but for me it was a bit of a letdown. SkyScreamer as well. They took out one of my favorite rides at the park (Wheelie) to add a really really tall swing. I used to go to SFoG every year for Easter Sunday, but the last two years additions have not urged me ot make the long drive up there from Florida.

We used to get Seasons Passes for both of us and for our Neice and use them quite a bit for the long Easter weekend. Just haven't had the urge to for a couple of years. Would love to get back next year though!

My best guesses would either go to a Waterpark expansion (Speed Slides, Lazy River?) or a Kids Area Expansion/Revamp. Bugs Bunny Land has not gotten an expansion since 2004 and looks VERY dated.

My review for Six Flags Over Georgia

I went to Six flags over Georgia Fourth of July weekend for three days. I thought it was a really good park but it needs to be maintained a little better. For example the railing that you have to zig zag through on Batman is terrible. There is no cut through if the line is going outside towards he parking lot and when you walk through the whole thing it just gets you tired and annoyed. Since I was there for three days I was able to ride everything and eat a lot of the food.

The first time I ever went to the park in 2011 it rained all day and I only rode Goliath, Ninja, Great American Scream Machine, Superman, Acraphobia, Mine Train.

On my last ride on Sunday night I rode superman in the very last row and I was wearing nike shorts so my pockets were lose. When we went through the pretzel loop my Galaxy S5 shot out of my pocket and landed on the grass along with my season pass. It took about two hoes to get all the information for everything and it basically ruined my last day at the park. We couldn't wait till closing because I live in Florida and we had to drive home. I'm still waiting for my phone even though they apparently sent it already!

x6 Superman- I think B&M flyers are B&Ms best coasters. The pretzel loops on this and Manta are just amazing and super intense! There obviously not the most intense but they are very unique and I do like them a lot. On Friday night they did the Fireworks by Superman so everyone say on the ground where he Superman sign is and the line for it was reaching out apast the actual entrance for the ride. I didn't ride it on Friday but I got three rides in on Saturday and three rides on Sunday. 8/10

X5 Goliath- I rode Goliath multiple times and it is by far better in the back then in the front. On Sunday morning with the early access I went and got to sit in the vey lat row and they didn't make me get up and walk around. The worker was cool to do that. The two things I don't like about this coaster are that after the helix the trims like ruin the ride on the way back. The train drags over the hill after the trim brakes but it then picks up speed on the camelbacks. I also found that it is getting that B&M rattle. I really felt it going down the first drop in the last row and it does feel quiet uncomfortable. Also the turn into he actual brake run bothers me. It's looks awkward and it shifts your body. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the rides spread out layout... But this is definitely the best coaster in the park. 10/10

x3 Ninja- so the last time I rode Ninja in 2011 I wasn't impressed. It felt a lot like the Arrow loopers such as the one at Cedar Point and Kings Dominion. But I gave it another chance and I'm happy that I did. The first time I rode in the Takis train and the ride felt smooth. It wasn't B&M smooth but it wasn't as bad as an Arrow or SLC. I only had head banging on the corckscrews but other then that it wasn't that bad. The second time I rode in the regular Ninja train and it hurt so bad! My head slammed against the harness and I felt as if I was being shock like a rag doll. I wasn't going to ride it after that but I wanted to see if my theory was true and check if the Takis train was better then hat one and I was right. When I rode in the Takis train the ride was a lot better. 6/10

x1 Great American Scream Machine- ride it in the last row and the airtime was really good. I got the credit in 2011 so I went on it and didn't ride again. I also found it kinda rough, but not as bad as the Cyclone. 5/10

x1 Georgia Cyclone- I rode the Coney Island Cyclone and I expected this to be a lot better but boy was I wrong. My body slammed against the harness on the airtime hills and it vibrates until you can't feel your legs anymore. If you keep your back off of the seat it won't be as bad. Never again will I ride this. 2/10

x2 Georgia Scorcher- It was my first time on this and it wasn't that bad. It is definitely a lot better then Mantis but may not be as good as Green Lantern. I rode in he front and it allowed a lot smoother ride. Defiantly give this ride a try the next time you go to the park. 7/10

x2 Dare Devil Dive- this was my first Euro Fighter and I thought it was great! It's not the most intense ride in the park but it's cool that it does all these inversions with only a lap bar and it is really smooth! The G forces on the loops are great and it rides really well through the tight turns. I only got to ride it in the front both times so I don't know how it is in the last row. 8/10

x3 MindBender- I had very high hopes for this ride and I sat in the front so that the G's would be strong but I wasn't that amused. It rides just like the Scorpion at Bush Gardens and it has a little bit of a rattle to it. I rode it in the last row later and I thought it was better then towards the front. I just don't understand why it is always ranked so high up in the Golden ticket awards. 7/10

x3 Batman- rode just like all the other Batman clones and offers an intense ride. I still like Talon, Montu and Raptor better. But it is way better then the terrible invert at Hershey park. 8/10

x2 Sky Screamer- it goes a lot faster then the Windseeker clones but I do like those better. This is a cool ride to get views of the park but it is just way to short of a ride. And not worth a 45minute wait. 6/10

x1 Dahlonega Mine Train- it was a little rough around the edges but not that bad. I do think at the very end on the last drop it gets really rough in the tunnel. It shakes you and it feels like they ran out of ideas and just put in that track segment. 4/10

x2 Acraphobia- I like this drop tower a lot but they need to learn how to load it quicker.the first time I ever rode this in 2011 I came off shivering but this time it felt not as strong. But being up there is kinda scary. I still like the Arm drop towers and the one at Kings Dominion better. But it is better then any of the S&S drop towers. 8/10

x1 Thunder Run- got soaked going under a waterfall, cool water ride.

I also managed to todo the whole water park. The Tsanumi Surge is awesome and it actually gives you some air.

x1 Georgia Cyclone- I rode the Coney Island Cyclone and I expected this to be a lot better but boy was I wrong. My body slammed against the harness on the airtime hills and it vibrates until you can't feel your legs anymore. If you keep your back off of the seat it won't be as bad. Never again will I ride this. 2/10

This is actually really surprising to hear. By all accounts, it's been running really well of late. It's been a month or two since I've ridden it myself, but I've never enjoyed the GA Cyclone until riding it this year. Every time before that I'd get off with basically the same thoughts you had, but this year it's been brilliant and dare I say it, fun.

Where did you sit?

^Same here. I was there last Tuesday and had two of the best rides I have EVER had on Cyclone. There was a little bit of shuffling on the second turnaround, but overall it was smoother than it has been in years and the airtime was REALLY strong in several spots.

This is actually really surprising to hear. By all accounts, it's been running really well of late. It's been a month or two since I've ridden it myself, but I've never enjoyed the GA Cyclone until riding it this year. Every time before that I'd get off with basically the same thoughts you had, but this year it's been brilliant and dare I say it, fun.

Where did you sit?

I sat in the front of the third car. It reminded me of the real a Coney Island Cyclone because of its roughness. It was bad but not the worst coaster I have ridden.

And I didn't find Mindbender that amazing. I rode it multiple times but I just never got attached to it. It is definitly the best Anton I have been on. I think that the a gforces going into the loop on a Scorpion are stronger, correct me if I'm wrong. I know MindBender has stronger G's then SooperDooper Looper at Hershey because I don't remember that one being very intense. I rember rideing Scorpion and it yanked my body back because of the strong G-Forces. Anyone have clue on which one has the strongest G-Force?

x3 MindBender- I just don't understand why it is always ranked so high up in the Golden ticket awards. 7/10

Well first off, its the Golden Ticket Awards, which is ridiculously terrible. Second off, its a classic ride that helped push the limits of roller coasters in its time.

I am visiting Six Flags Over Georgia on Saturday, and I was wondering how I should plan out my day. Does anyone have past experiences for visiting on a weekend in late summer? Does anyone have any idea how bad the crowds will be?

I am visiting Six Flags Over Georgia on Saturday, and I was wondering how I should plan out my day. Does anyone have past experiences for visiting on a weekend in late summer? Does anyone have any idea how bad the crowds will be?

If it's nice weather crowds will be plentiful.Avoid Scorcher & Cyclone in the morning, since they're at the front, they get pretty good sized waits first thing.. Dare Devil Dive is low capacity, but it seems to me to have the best crew, but I would still do it first, Superman will have a wait all day, just because the line usually crawls. It's a really nice park, although Gotham City is a bitch to walk up and down, Also besides Ninja, they have a really solid line up, with Goliath being the stand out.

I have been there plenty of times during late summer on Saturday. Very very crowded on Saturdays. If u stay late though, the lines will die down.

I always go to superman first, if you get there at opening you will wait 15 mins max for superman. If you wait a hour or so to ride it you will end up waiting in line that long for it. Haha

^ and ^^ are pretty much spot on. I will also be at the park this Saturday with some friends. I tend to arrive 20-30 minutes prior to park opening to beat most of the rush to get through the parking gates (I've seen it back up quite seriously past the front gate). In my experience, they do frequently open the front gate early even to non Discover card or Gold season passholders. So being there early usually means a quick ride or two on Scorcher or Cyclone with minimal wait before the rest of the park is opened up.

After they open up the rest of the park, I usually head straight to Superman and work my way forward. If you want a ride on SkyScreamer, I would get it immediately after Superman as they are both in the back of the park and SkyScreamer will have a significant (1hr+) wait most of the day.

If you got a Scorcher ride on the way in, your longest wait of the day will probably be for Dare Devil Dive. As has been mentioned, operations are usually great on DDD, but it's a very low capacity ride. If you're planning to be there all day, I would just come back to DDD late in the day a couple hours before close. If not, I would hit it on your way to Superman as you first arrive. You will probably encounter some solid 45+ minute waits on the other major coasters like Goliath, Batman, and Mindbender, but those are people eaters and should move fairly well.

If you plan to ride Ninja, your best bet is to ride in the front row of the last car. For Scream Machine, non wheel seats (ie middle rows) are the smoothest. Also, Cyclone provides some great airtime in the last car.

The bottom line is that if you get in early and knock out the worst capacity rides first (Superman, DDD, SkyScreamer) you can make a peak season Saturday visit work. I hope you enjoy your visit to the park. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I have a question about the Georgia Scorcher. I've yet to go to SFOG, but assuming I do get to go, this will actually be one of the rides I look forward to the most. Call me weird, but I'm a pretty big fan of B&M stand-ups and this one looks like it's a got a few unique, extra-snappy transitions.

But my question specifically is about the little hill right before before the corkscrew. Much has been said about Outlaw Run's "sideways bunny hop", but here it looks like B&M was trying the same thing over a decade earlier, and standing up no less. I was wondering how this element actually rides and if it gives any unique sideways airtime sensations.

I have a question about the Georgia Scorcher. I've yet to go to SFOG, but assuming I do get to go, this will actually be one of the rides I look forward to the most. Call me weird, but I'm a pretty big fan of B&M stand-ups and this one looks like it's a got a few unique, extra-snappy transitions.

But my question specifically is about the little hill right before before the corkscrew. Much has been said about Outlaw Run's "sideways bunny hop", but here it looks like B&M was trying the same thing over a decade earlier, and standing up no less. I was wondering how this element actually rides and if it gives any unique sideways airtime sensations.

It's so quick and snappy you don't really feel anything. It is by far the smoothest standup coaster I have ever been on. It does give a little jolt and you do get a second of airtime but nothing note worthey. Nothing close to the air time on Goliath.

^I thought that might be the case. Still, it's very interesting to me that they'd throw in that little sideways banking out of nowhere. Back when B&Ms made in the US occasionally tried interesting things.

So all new B&Ms in the US are monotonous or forceless? Banshee called, she wants to say something. You could also make an arguement that wing coasters have weird layouts, "trying new things."

^I thought that might be the case. Still, it's very interesting to me that they'd throw in that little sideways banking out of nowhere. Back when B&Ms made in the US occasionally tried interesting things.

So all new B&Ms in the US are monotonous or forceless? Banshee called, she wants to say something. You could also make an arguement that wing coasters have weird layouts, "trying new things."

No I don't believe I ever used the words "monotonous" or "forceless". I find Banshee's layout very uninteresting, though I can believe it's a great ride.

It's so quick and snappy you don't really feel anything. It is by far the smoothest standup coaster I have ever been on. It does give a little jolt and you do get a second of airtime but nothing note worthey. Nothing close to the air time on Goliath.

I agree and it's a shame that little jolt couldn't have been more note worthy. It's wonderfully smooth for a stand up though, and I love how much of a punch they packed into such a small space.

I think Scorcher is extremely underrated, just because in general standups aren't warmly received, I actually like it better than Mindbender , it reminds me a lot of Batman in how much they fit in such a compact space, they do need to paint it however, really really bad.

^I have only been on 5 stand ups (Mantis, Scorcher, Shockwave, SkyRider and Vortex) and Scorcher was by far the best! I thought it was pretty comfortable too. I don't know if I would say it was better than Mindbender but I enjoyed it for sure.

Scorcher is quite underrated, and goodness does it need a new coat of point. She looks rough right now.

On the subject of Mindbender, I was at the park yesterday and to my surprise found that Mindbender was only running one train. Apparently the second train is receiving some serious maintenance or had an issue, because it was sitting in pieces behind the maintenance shed. All of the wheel assemblies were removed from the cars.

Nothing else to report really other than the addition of lots of Fright Fest promotional material and themeing just inside the front gate in the Promenade area, as well as some banners for Holiday in the Park.

^I have only been on 5 stand ups (Mantis, Scorcher, Shockwave, SkyRider and Vortex) and Scorcher was by far the best! I thought it was pretty comfortable too. I don't know if I would say it was better than Mindbender but I enjoyed it for sure.

I've been on 3 ( Chang, Vortex, Scorcher) and I totally agree about it being the smoothest, I know my post made it out like I didn't like Mindbender, I totally dig it, just not as much as most people it seems.