TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Luckily this weekend everything was walk on no problems with crowding at all! I know when they open though it'll be bad. Wave pool did get crowded some but not bad. I even ate in hurricane harbor to avoid food lines around the park

Park News - (6/2/14) I’ve got a question for anyone who’s been to Six Flags over Georgia this season, or may be preparing to drop in over the next week or two. Take a visual scan around the park’s Georgia Cyclone… I’ve heard at least one report claiming to have seen signs of markings on sections of the structure as well as possible future construction or survay markings on the ground in the area as well. Just curious if they are considering putting the ride under the knife for some reason… though we did get reports a few years back that Six Flags did test some pieces of Topper Track on some of the ride’s rougher sections to see if it helped. Of course they did the same thing with a section of the Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and we know how that turned out…

Anyone keep a lookout about this? Maybe they are doing the same as SFMM.

As Screamscape already reported the other day, I didn’t see any markings around Cyclone. I ended up visiting the park yesterday and had a limited time available during the evening, but the crowds were pretty light due to the time and it was manageable. Also, I noticed signage for single rider lines in the stations of Batman, Goliath, Mind Bender, Superman, GA Cyclone, and GA Scorcher. I know at least several of these rides have had single rider lines for a while, but the signage seemed pleasantly new.

As Screamscape already reported the other day, I didn’t see any markings around Cyclone. I ended up visiting the park yesterday and had a limited time available during the evening, but the crowds were pretty light due to the time and it was manageable. Also, I noticed signage for single rider lines in the stations of Batman, Goliath, Mind Bender, Superman, GA Cyclone, and GA Scorcher. I know at least several of these rides have had single rider lines for a while, but the signage seemed pleasantly new.

I was at the park today. All the single-rider signage was there, but all the SR queues were chained off. Didn't see a single person use it. I still don't think it's ever going to be worth anything until you can bypass more than just the station wait for it.

In other news, I was able to get 18 rides in today in about 6 hours:

2x Superman, 2x Scream Machine, 1x Ninja, 1x Monster Mansion, 3x Goliath, 1x Batman, 2x Mindbender, 1x Dare Devil Dive, 1x Canyon Blaster, 1x Mine Train, 1x Acrophobia, 1x Cyclone, and 1x Scorcher

Thoughts:

GASM needs to be reprofiled. There are a few halfway decent bits of air in the front, but it feels like it's going too slow for its course, and I don't see the point of an out-and-back woodie without some good airtime. (Thought I did just learn that GASM was the tallest coaster in the world when it opened, courtesy of ICW.)

Ninja has no redeeming qualities, even in the 'magic seat'. Interestingly enough, the OTSRs in the row I rode in looked like old Arrow OTSRs (really big loops for the hand grips), but most of the rest of the train had the usual OTSRs.

Goliath is awesome. I'm not sure if it or Diamondback is my favorite B&M hyper, but it's definitely in contention. I've concluded that the best seat on Goliath is actually row 5. While the front gives you nice pops of airtime at the top of the hills & the back gives you good airtime going down the drops, the dead middle gives you fantastic sustained floater air over a huge chunk of each hill. My ballpark count was that my butt was out of the seat for around 19-20 solid seconds on this thing. Love it.

Acrophobia is a great drop. Not sure how it ranks in the drop-tower hierarchy, but it's really good fun. The seats are uncomfortable as all get out, but it feels like it's actually allowed to free-fall for most of the height and then decelerates really quickly very near the bottom.

GA Cyclone is running fantastic. There's a TON of new wood all over this thing. I still can't believe that I actually enjoy this coaster now. For years and years it was right up there with Ninja on my hate list, but now I love it.

All the other rides were right about what I expected of them. Nothing significant to report.

All that being said, ride operations on a number of rides were ABYSMAL. There is zero excuse to be consistently dispatching trains at 4+ minute intervals with 2-train operation. I've seen parks cycle trains faster with single-train operation. These ride ops have absolutely no hustle, and they're really inefficient in how they move around checking trains.

The other really annoying thing is how wildly inconsistent their loose article policy is. Some rides you can leave your stuff at the platform. Others, all you can leave are souvenir bottles. Sometimes you have to rent a locker. Sometimes they tell you to take your stuff with you on the train. Got a hat? Sometimes it has to go in a bin. On Superman it has to go on the ride with you. If you want the GP to be able to move into the trains more quickly (and allow the ops to check the trains more quickly to dispatch more quickly), you need to give them a consistent loose article policy and apply that EXACT SAME POLICY to EVERY coaster. /rant

Operations were generally awful yesterday for me as well. Really sad to see for my home park. Though Mind Bender’s crew was the exception to that rule. I couldn’t agree more with your critique of that and the loose article policy.

I was at the park today. All the single-rider signage was there, but all the SR queues were chained off. Didn't see a single person use it. I still don't think it's ever going to be worth anything until you can bypass more than just the station wait for it.

In other news, I was able to get 18 rides in today in about 6 hours:

2x Superman, 2x Scream Machine, 1x Ninja, 1x Monster Mansion, 3x Goliath, 1x Batman, 2x Mindbender, 1x Dare Devil Dive, 1x Canyon Blaster, 1x Mine Train, 1x Acrophobia, 1x Cyclone, and 1x Scorcher

Thoughts:

GASM needs to be reprofiled. There are a few halfway decent bits of air in the front, but it feels like it's going too slow for its course, and I don't see the point of an out-and-back woodie without some good airtime. (Thought I did just learn that GASM was the tallest coaster in the world when it opened, courtesy of ICW.)

Ninja has no redeeming qualities, even in the 'magic seat'. Interestingly enough, the OTSRs in the row I rode in looked like old Arrow OTSRs (really big loops for the hand grips), but most of the rest of the train had the usual OTSRs.

Goliath is awesome. I'm not sure if it or Diamondback is my favorite B&M hyper, but it's definitely in contention. I've concluded that the best seat on Goliath is actually row 5. While the front gives you nice pops of airtime at the top of the hills & the back gives you good airtime going down the drops, the dead middle gives you fantastic sustained floater air over a huge chunk of each hill. My ballpark count was that my butt was out of the seat for around 19-20 solid seconds on this thing. Love it.

Acrophobia is a great drop. Not sure how it ranks in the drop-tower hierarchy, but it's really good fun. The seats are uncomfortable as all get out, but it feels like it's actually allowed to free-fall for most of the height and then decelerates really quickly very near the bottom.

GA Cyclone is running fantastic. There's a TON of new wood all over this thing. I still can't believe that I actually enjoy this coaster now. For years and years it was right up there with Ninja on my hate list, but now I love it.

All the other rides were right about what I expected of them. Nothing significant to report.

All that being said, ride operations on a number of rides were ABYSMAL. There is zero excuse to be consistently dispatching trains at 4+ minute intervals with 2-train operation. I've seen parks cycle trains faster with single-train operation. These ride ops have absolutely no hustle, and they're really inefficient in how they move around checking trains.

The other really annoying thing is how wildly inconsistent their loose article policy is. Some rides you can leave your stuff at the platform. Others, all you can leave are souvenir bottles. Sometimes you have to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. Sometimes they tell you to take your stuff with you on the train. Got a hat? Sometimes it has to go in a bin. On Superman it has to go on the ride with you. If you want the GP to be able to move into the trains more quickly (and allow the ops to check the trains more quickly to dispatch more quickly), you need to give them a consistent loose article policy and apply that EXACT SAME POLICY to EVERY coaster. /rant

One more thought: a number of the coasters in the park looked like they were well overdue for a fresh coat of paint. It's just not appealing when all of the coasters are now faded to pastel colors.

rs_1024x759-140312104516-1024.Elsa-Frozen-Disney_jl.031214.thumb.jpg.97a16aefba11918e87d6eee0b378bf7e.jpg

Frozen at a Six Flags Park??? YES!!!

Frozen Kicks Off Dive In Movies Thursday at Six Flags White Water

Six Flags White Water will debut its guest popular Dive-In Movies overlooking the Atlanta Ocean Wave Pool on Thursday, June 12. This season, the park will unveil its all-new stage for Dive-In Movies, which will enhance the viewing experience, as guests sit back in their favorite lounge chair and watch one of the eight movies on a 20 foot wide movie screen.

The 2014 Dive-In Movies line-up includes:

June 12: Frozen

June 19: The Avengers

June 26: Cars

July 3: National Treasure

July 10: SUPERMAN™

July 17: Despicable Me 2

July 24: Pirates of the Caribbean

July 31: The Lego Movie

Details on each Dive-In Movie can be found at https://www.sixflags.com/whitewater/special-events.

Six Flags White Water features more than 20 attractions including Typhoon Twister which is back for its second season, 50 slides and is home to three interactive kid’s area for families to enjoy.

Six Flags White Water is now open daily through August 10. Season Passes provide unlimited visits for the entire 2014 season at Six Flags White Water can be purchased online for a low monthly payment through the annual membership program.

^ Did you go by Hurricane Harbor?

Looked at it from the Superman queue area. The slides look like they'd be fun, and honestly Sunday would have been the perfect day to go try them (good temp, low crowds), but I just cannot get over the sheer inconvenience of a waterpark in the clear back of a theme park.

I don't want to walk around wet all day. I don't want to haul a towel/swimwear/etc. around all day. And I don't want to have to rent a locker at one end of the park and then have to go all the way back over to it at the end of the day to get my stuff before I go home.

The only way I do water parks & theme parks together is when the entrance to the water park is either just inside the theme park (Dorney and Darien Lake come to mind) or has its own entrance and parking lot (King's Island, Cedar Point, etc.). You can use your car as a locker. (What I'll do is go ride coasters, then come out to the car to grab my towel, leave my shorts and shoes in the car, and then go hit the water park. Then when I'm done, I'll either come back out to my car, grab dry clothes, and then go back to the park to change, or if I'm staying nearby I might just go back to my hotel sitting on a towel.)

I did make an exception for Mt. Olympus, but it was pouring that day, so I just wore swim trunks and rode the coasters in the rain.

At some point, I may try Hurricane Harbor, but it'd probably be on a trip dedicated just for that purpose.

So I went today, it was a perfect day, while it was overcast for some of it, and it did drizzle a couple times, everything was a walk on.

I stopped by Hurricane Harbor for a bit, and it's actually a really great water park for what it is! I wouldn't spend an entire day there, but it's good for a couple hours. The slides were really fun, especially Tsunami Surge, and the wave pool makes some suprisingly high waves, and the most suprising thing about the water park was its themeing, which was really good! Not Universal or Disney standards, but really good for Six Flags. We got there by 2, and spend a couple hours in Hurricane Harbor, I was with my family, so I didn't go on many big things as I had to stick with them for most of it, but I was able to stray away for a ride on Goliath and Batman.

Scorecard:

Tsunami Surge - 2x

Bonzai Pipelines - 2x each

GASM - 1x

Cyclone - 2x

B:TR - 1x

Goliath - 1x

As a side note, my Brother and Sister were riding SkyScreamer (I had opted out to take a look at Hurricane Harbor) and as soon as they were getting on, I came back, and was able to see them at the top slowing down to a halt. The ride ops had no idea what was going on, and I thought it was going to be a repeat of Windseeker at Knott's. But 5 minutes later technical staff arrived and were able to bring them back down.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the park yesterday for a quick half day with a friend. The park was pretty empty most of the day and we never waited more than 20-25 minutes for anything, so we hit all the big rides in a few hours pretty easily. A couple quick notes on the day:

-A few weeks back I was uncertain if the single rider signage I noticed was new. It definitely is. During my trip yesterday I noticed where several stations' queues have been modified for the single rider line. Somewhat cynically, I would typically assume that such queues wouldn't actually get used because this is Six Flags... But much to my surprise both Dare Devil Dive and Goliath were utilizing their single rider lines at various points during the day. Perhaps this is the start of a push for better operations? *fingers crossed*

-Hurricane Harbor seems to be going quite strong. I don't much care for mixing my theme park and water park experiences, but plenty of other people do. Every time I've been to the park this summer, Hurricane Harbor seems to be very busy regardless of the rest of the park.

-I'm pleased to say that Georgia Cyclone is still running leaps and bounds better than it has in recent years, as it has been all this season. So that speaks volumes for the RMC topper track they've added over time. In my mind, it has finally made enough of a difference.

-Everything was two train ops except for Mind Bender.

-Credit where credit is due: All food service employees (5 different stops. I was thirsty!) were courteous and kind with smiles and "Have a Six Flags day!" First time that has happened in a while and it was pleasant.

-Also, DDD's crew was kicking butt and regularly stacking two trains just before the lift. Love to see that.

Great day at the park, just thought I'd give a little mid-season update. Always glad to see my home park doing pretty well.

^LOL - agreed.

I, for one, hope they are getting something great next year.

For the record - SFoG is one of my all time favorite places. I worked there when I was a teenager, and have always loved the park.

I know that the waterpark addition will be great for the park, but for me it was a bit of a letdown. SkyScreamer as well. They took out one of my favorite rides at the park (Wheelie) to add a really really tall swing. I used to go to SFoG every year for Easter Sunday, but the last two years additions have not urged me ot make the long drive up there from Florida.

We used to get Seasons Passes for both of us and for our Neice and use them quite a bit for the long Easter weekend. Just haven't had the urge to for a couple of years. Would love to get back next year though!

^ I think the new addition is pretty much just a wild card, there have been no clues as to what is happening, Ninja most likely isn't getting blown up, as it probably would have been announced earlier this summer along with Cyclone at SFNE and Collosus at SFMM. I don't really see a new coaster, as there isn't much room for one as of now. I kind of expect it to be like 2012 where they only added new shows. They could even stick with Holiday In The Park being the new thing.