TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I went for to this park for the first time ever in april. I did not take any photos so I will just post my thoughts here.

Employees were fantastic. There was an elderly gentleman that worked on one of the trams. He was fantastic and was super proud of his job.

The park was clean and well laid out. I did not expect the elevation changes whatsoever. Great selection of rides too. I have only been to three six flags parks, and my overall experience here trumps SFA and SFGADV.

Scorcher: Super fun. My favorite standup to date.

Goliath: Meh.

DDD: First Eurofighter. Hopefully more of these get build as it was AWESOME.

Batman: Skipped due to time.

Ninja: I have wanted to ride this thing forever. I grew up staring at it from the beach in wildwood. I rode in the 7th car back seat, and it was awesome! No head banging and the butterfly element was very interesting.

Scream machine: The worst wooden coaster I have ever been on. Riders were coming back in tears. It hurt worse than anything I have ever been on.

Mindbender: Perfect.

Cyclone: Wow the first drop and turns were amazingly smooth! The rest needs to get re-tracked ASAP. Fun ride though!

Mine train: Funky arrow transitions in the dark. Surprisingly fun!

Thinks Goliath is meh and GASM is horrible, yet says DDD, Cyclone, and Ninja are awesome.

Get out.

You must've ridden GASM in the wrong seat, it is amazing in a non-wheel seat, and even in a wheel seat, it's better than Cyclone.

I don't even get why Goliath is meh compared to DDD, did you get them mixed up or something?

Ninja is sorta understandable considering you were in the magic seat.

In other news, the new wave pool has just wet itself.

maybe he was riding Cyclone in the magic seat as well?

I rode Ga Cyclone in it's magic seat and it kicked ass.

I went for to this park for the first time ever in april. I did not take any photos so I will just post my thoughts here.

Employees were fantastic. There was an elderly gentleman that worked on one of the trams. He was fantastic and was super proud of his job.

The park was clean and well laid out. I did not expect the elevation changes whatsoever. Great selection of rides too. I have only been to three six flags parks, and my overall experience here trumps SFA and SFGADV.

Ninja: I have wanted to ride this thing forever. I grew up staring at it from the beach in wildwood. I rode in the 7th car back seat, and it was awesome! No head banging and the butterfly element was very interesting.

Scream machine: The worst wooden coaster I have ever been on. Riders were coming back in tears. It hurt worse than anything I have ever been on.

Cyclone: Wow the first drop and turns were amazingly smooth! The rest needs to get re-tracked ASAP. Fun ride though!

Thinks Goliath is meh and GASM is horrible, yet says DDD, Cyclone, and Ninja are awesome.

Get out.

No. get out. GTFO. Ninja just needs to be killed Goliath is one of the better hypers I've been on and GASM is just a timeless classic.

Get out.

No. get out. GTFO. Ninja just needs to be killed Goliath is one of the better hypers I've been on and GASM is just a timeless classic.

Agree with all comments. However I do like DDD. Course the lapbars didn't hurt the ride either.

However painful it is, Cyclone is batshit insane. One of the most intense rides ever in a certain way.

I actually found it to be not at all painful the last time I rode (several weeks ago). It was the first time I had ever tried riding in the magic seat, and it was also the first time I actually enjoyed the ride.

However painful it is, Cyclone is batshit insane. One of the most intense rides ever in a certain way.

I actually found it to be not at all painful the last time I rode (several weeks ago). It was the first time I had ever tried riding in the magic seat, and it was also the first time I actually enjoyed the ride.

If only every seat on the Cyclone kicked as much ass as the magic seat...

Anyone have any news on hurricane harbor? All previous emails, plus the park calendar have it opening this weekend BUT their site and the new email sent out today list it as "opening soon" and "in time for summer" with no date? I have a room booked for this weekend to spend the entire weekend and was hoping it would be open! I'll be kind of bummed if it isn't open.

Just curious if any locals have heard anything

^ I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Are you driving? If so - and Hurricane Harbor isn't opened - drive to White Water. It is about 20 - 30 minutes from SFoG and has always been a pretty nice park.

Yeah might do that, I used to go to whitewater anyways or I might just spend all three days on the coasters haha. I just always plan a trip there over memorial day weekend and gotta keep it going!

If you go through events tab on their site the old hurricane harbor event is listed as opening this weekend but if you click the hurricane harbor event on the homepage you get the "opening soon" listing. Maybe it'll be open! If not my membership has $10 whitewater tickets this weekend so I might use them

Yup I noticed today they changed their online schedule from this weekend to next.

Thanks for the confirmation though!

Not a surprise, I saw it coming when they changed the wording of their emails

OK time for a trip review. Spent Saturday, Sunday, and two hours at the park today!

First, hurricane harbor. While not officially open (even the signs in the park said closed, coming soon) was open mainly for testing and training purposes it felt like. They had the skull island complex open and the bonzai pipelines section open along with the wave pool. No lines at all on the bonzai pipelines. Walk straight to the top and come down. All three slides are different while one has a funnel in it. The other two are just normal slides, one tubed all the way down and the other with a small open section. They require tubes on the slides but are free (they do have rentals). Had plenty of free double tubes but only 10 or so singles for free so on a busy day plan to ride double or rent. Overall all three slides where great!

The wavepool is very nice! Again they have free tubes in it or you can rent one if they are gone. The wave pool has a safety check every hour or so where they close it for 10 minutes. Kind of annoying but this might be a new thing at water parks? Idk when I was training guards for Ellis Guards it wasn't anything we taught or did.

Water was kind of cold so they had to just fill the pools last week. I think it was filled like first week in may but it felt like last week haha!

As for the other slide that wasn't open idk if it'll be ready next week or not. Slides ready but they have no pavement to it or around it.

For those who said they might close whitewater, I doubt it. Hurricane harbor is small compared to a stand alone water park like white water or splash country or any of them. Once you see it, there is no comparing it to bigger parks.

I spent 2 hours in hurricane harbor both Sunday and today. Two hours is about all you can do before getting bored.

BTW they have very very nice changing rooms with showers! After I found out it was open on Saturday my gf and I scoped it out and we brought a bag and changed after. Took it back to the car afterwards.

OK as for six flags I rlly don't see why everyone says they aren't friendly. Both last year and this year I can say they are much friendlier than Dollywood. Every employee in the park says hello and ask if your having fun. Even security! They are very observant and notice things your wearing and comment about it. I had a dollywood shirt on today and every employee i passed said they wanted to go badly. The park was clean and all the rides running. Saturday I didn't arrive until 5 but we never waited more than five minutes for any coaster. We where able to ride most of them multiple times. Even rode mind bender 10 times without moving seats or getting off. Only reason we had to stop was the train broke down and they couldn't get it out of the station. Finally maintenance came and had to get it off the track.

Sunday the park was dead like most Sundays. Rode all rides several times no more than 10 minute waits. Spent two hours in hurricane harbor.

Today we decided to go back and do two more hours in hurricane harbor before coming home. Didn't ride any rides today just slides and wave pool.

Overall great trip and hurricane harbor is great to just relax and cool off.

Maybe next weekend they will officially open it. Like I said this weekend they kept it kind of quiet about it being open. They really wanted to kind of test it out. Lots of managers walking around asking questions and trying to see how they could be better when they open it up.

Edited by dstephe9

I'll be going to SFOG probably in July. I've been there before but missed Georgia Cyclone since we ran out of time and it was back in 2006 so Dare Devil Dive wasn't built yet, plus I'd really like to ride Goliath, GASM, Mindbender, and S:UF again. Any tips for this park? Hotels to stay, any park deals we should be aware of (one day might be just an afternoon into evening if that helps), tips for hitting everything, that kind of stuff. I can't wait to go but I was wondering if there was anything we should know.

For those who said they might close whitewater, I doubt it. Hurricane harbor is small compared to a stand alone water park like white water or splash country or any of them. Once you see it, there is no comparing it to bigger parks...

1. They did say Multi-Year, Multi Million expansion

2. I doubt they would close White Water, But maybe sell it back to Herschend (Google if you have no idea what I'm talking about) after the park is properly sized.

I'll be going to SFOG probably in July. I've been there before but missed Georgia Cyclone since we ran out of time and it was back in 2006 so Dare Devil Dive wasn't built yet, plus I'd really like to ride Goliath, GASM, Mindbender, and S:UF again. Any tips for this park? Hotels to stay, any park deals we should be aware of (one day might be just an afternoon into evening if that helps), tips for hitting everything, that kind of stuff. I can't wait to go but I was wondering if there was anything we should know.

If you want to stay right around six flags there are several places. There is a Wingate right beside the parking lot. It usually cost the most out of all the hotels around but is the nicest. I personally stay at the super 8. Nothing fancy about it, its old, but its quite and clean. It is also within walking distance but I have parking passes. You can get a room online for about $52 a night with codes. This weekend, that's what mine cost. If you booked in the hotel though they where charging $75/room. I have stayed there 3 times and its been quite and clean all times. Just a place to sleep just book online. There is also an econolodge (pretty bad I have tried it once) and I believe a sleep inn right beside the park with the super 8 and Wingate. Never tried the sleep inn BC I haven't ran into any problems with the super 8 yet. I stayed at the Wingate with friends and it is the closest and nicest but close to $100/night last time I checked. Still nothing fancy!

I have found that in the evening the park is dead. I usually do a Friday or Saturday evening, one full day, and a morning. Sundays are usually the least crowded.

Don't buy a flash pass until you see what the lines are like. If you read up about my trip this weekend I never waited more than 10 minutes for anything except to get into the park!! Haha

Edited by dstephe9

For those who said they might close whitewater, I doubt it. Hurricane harbor is small compared to a stand alone water park like white water or splash country or any of them. Once you see it, there is no comparing it to bigger parks...

1. They did say Multi-Year, Multi Million expansion

2. I doubt they would close White Water, But maybe sell it back to Herschend (Google if you have no idea what I'm talking about) after the park is properly sized.

It'll be a while before they get it to size unless they build several more slide structures and a lazy river or something in the next few years.

And they could sell it to Herschend but I think they are really trying to compete with Herschend right now with Dollywoods big expansions so I wouldn't think they would bring the competition closer. I could be wrong about that but if I were six flags I wouldn't bring Herschend any closer especially since Dollywood is planning $300 million over the next 10 years and besides the resort no one knows what else on. And if it goes well they said they will spend even more over the next 10 years and they have said it will be spent on both splash country and Dollywood. They specifically mentioned spent on big rides at both parks. Not just small filler rides.

I'd be scared of Herschend personally if I where them. Most Dollywood guest are only 2 or so hours from Atlanta. I'm 2:30 or 3 depending on traffic and a little over an hour from Dollywood. Personally I'd rather go to Six flags than Dollywood now. I really see no need to bring Herschend closer unless they rlly want to dump the park

Edited by dstephe9

If you want to stay right around six flags there are several places. There is a Wingate right beside the parking lot. It usually cost the most out of all the hotels around but is the nicest. I personally stay at the super 8. Nothing fancy about it, its old, but its quite and clean. It is also within walking distance but I have parking passes. You can get a room online for about $52 a night with codes. This weekend, that's what mine cost. If you booked in the hotel though they where charging $75/room. I have stayed there 3 times and its been quite and clean all times. Just a place to sleep just book online. There is also an econolodge (pretty bad I have tried it once) and I believe a sleep inn right beside the park with the super 8 and Wingate. Never tried the sleep inn BC I haven't ran into any problems with the super 8 yet. I stayed at the Wingate with friends and it is the closest and nicest but close to $100/night last time I checked. Still nothing fancy!

I have found that in the evening the park is dead. I usually do a Friday or Saturday evening, one full day, and a morning. Sundays are usually the least crowded.

Don't buy a flash pass until you see what the lines are like. If you read up about my trip this weekend I never waited more than 10 minutes for anything except to get into the park!! Haha

Thanks! The Super 8 sounds like a good option for us. We'll probably end up going on a weekday due to our vacation schedule, but if we can work a Sunday into there, I'll definitely try.

If it's dead in the evening that's good. I'd love to walk on a few night rides on Mindbender and Goliath.

A few more questions;

1. Did Goliath ever get seatbelts? And if it did, how are they?

2. How good is Dare Devil Dive with larger riders? I fit into El Loco at Adventuredome pretty recently, should I be fine on DDD? I thought they were similar. And does DDD have seatbelts?

3. Would it be socially acceptable to wear a giant lime green Domo suit to the park?

No seatbelts on either of those coasters haha. And yes super 8 is fine for my needs as well. Its called the austell six flags super 8. Clean and quite but definitely not fancy or anything. Does have a clean pool though

Thanks! The Super 8 sounds like a good option for us. We'll probably end up going on a weekday due to our vacation schedule, but if we can work a Sunday into there, I'll definitely try.

If it's dead in the evening that's good. I'd love to walk on a few night rides on Mindbender and Goliath.

A few more questions;

1. Did Goliath ever get seatbelts? And if it did, how are they?

2. How good is Dare Devil Dive with larger riders? I fit into El Loco at Adventuredome pretty recently, should I be fine on DDD? I thought they were similar. And does DDD have seatbelts?

3. Would it be socially acceptable to wear a giant lime green Domo suit to the park?

Is a Giant Lime Green Domo suit EVER socially unacceptable?? You should be fine