TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I sent six flags an email about this as one of the perks of membership is the lack of processing the pass every year. My membership bar code linked to the new site and already had my 2014 coupons but my question to them was if I had to get a new card without a picture and have my print processed or if they can just use my old card and process the scan at the gate. I hope I don't have to wait at the season pass processing center. That wait really is why I got a membership and not season pass.

The park is opening tomorrow. Anybody going? Fox 5 Atlanta just did a live shot of the park and not much is happening at the Hurricane Harbor site. In other news, Superman and GASM look ready to go! Bring on the new season and the end to the offseason!

I went Saturday and things were overall mixed.

To start with, they didn't advertise well the new changes for the season pass. I got there early to go to season pass processing like normal but when i got there they were directly people for season passes to just go to the date. They had people standing out there telling people this but no signs. A Sign would have helped a lot. So was there in line wondering how this all was going to work. Finally they let us in and the initial scan the voucher, do you fingerprint, get your card went very smooth and then they sent us to a table to sign the card. Now to get dining pass and parking added you then had to go back to season pass processing but from the door inside the park. So went there and nobody was there. There were just the old computers from last year to scan your stuff when you came in and that did nothing. Took about 10 minutes before somebody came in to help add stuff to cards. Then later on in the day when I tried my dining pass they hadn't added it on properly and I had to go back to get it done again. Then when I tried to register my season pass online last night it says the last name and number don't match. So initial getting people into the park was quick, but the rest of it needs improvement.

I got there at opening and lines were real short at that point so got to hit quite a few costers real quick. Dare Devil Dive was down. The rest went mostly ok. They had an issue with one train on Batman and on Superman the operators were having issues with getting the restaints down so the computer would recognize them properly but that is all kinda to be expected on day 1. I would up leaving around 2 when lines started to get long.

Before the park opened, the presdent came out and made some comments and he did say Hurricane Harbor would open Memorial Day and also said there was going to be a "zero g" water slide in the park. First I had heard of that personally but sounds very interesting.

I was one of the people who was concerned on what hurricane harbor would mean to white water but after looking at the space from from of the rides, I'm not anymore. The space really isn't all that big. The vast majority of the land is being used for the wave pool with only a little bit of area around it for a few slides. There just isn't the land to have near the variety of slides and stuff like they have at white water. This will be a nice addition to the main six flags park, but not really competition to white water. If you want to spend the whole day at the water park, white water is still going to be the better choice.

All in all, not too bad for opening day. They meed to work on the season pass process some but it is a new system so I'm sure they'll get it worked out.

^Sundays aren't too crowded this early in the year. Try to arrive before opening, since Sunday mornings are comparatively dead and you should have time to get in a lot of rides before noon. If you haven't been here before and you're trying to make sure you hit all of the credits, I'd head straight to Superman. It often has the longest lines and agonizingly slow loading procedures. Then you'll already be at the back of the park, and can hit Scream Machine and Ninja with no wait. You shouldn't have a problem riding all of the coasters at least once.

^Sundays aren't too crowded this early in the year. Try to arrive before opening, since Sunday mornings are comparatively dead and you should have time to get in a lot of rides before noon. If you haven't been here before and you're trying to make sure you hit all of the credits, I'd head straight to Superman. It often has the longest lines and agonizingly slow loading procedures. Then you'll already be at the back of the park, and can hit Scream Machine and Ninja with no wait. You shouldn't have a problem riding all of the coasters at least once.

Agreed. Sundays in March, April, early May, and September and October are almost always when I visit. The only exception are the two weeks that straddle spring break week, which can be easily determined by looking at the calendar and seeing the only week the park is open outside of weekends before the summer season.

I, too, recommend getting there at opening and heading straight to Superman. You'll have the opportunity for at least couple of walk-on rides, and Superman probably has the slowest operations of the park, leading to very long waits later on. Then you can hit Scream Machine and Ninja as suggested above (Ninja is always optional for me as it's always a fairly uncomfortable ride, but it rarely has a line). From there, hit Sky Screamer, as that generates a long wait even on a slow day, if you like those sorts of rides.

After that, you have a few options. I usually wait til after lunch to head to Goliath, which by that point should have, at most, a 15-20 minute wait. I tend to head to Dahlonega Mine Train to get that credit, then head to ride Acrophobia, and then to Gotham and ride Mindbender and Batman. Batman typically does not get terribly crowded on slow days at the park. At that point, get lunch, then start hitting the rest of the rides. The alternative is to head to Gotham first then back to Dahlonega and Acrophobia later. Georgia Cyclone typically doesn't have more than a 2-3 train wait in the afternoon, nor should Georgia Scorcher (but scorcher suffers from usually terrible and slow operations). And like I said, Goliath typically does not have a long wait thanks to decent operations and capacity after lunch. Basically, if the line extends down the stairs from the station through the first set of 4-5 switchbacks, that ends up being about a 15 minute wait with 2 or 3 train operation.

Your main long wait is likely going to be Dare Devil Dive, which will run 45-60 minutes. Also, Monster Plantation is a really good dark ride but will typically have a 20-25 minute wait. It's always a must-do for me though.

Hope this helps.

I was also at the park on Saturday and while there were some down checks, overall I thought the park handled things pretty well. As Krandor mentioned, the new season pass processing was in place and functional, however my experience was a bit more positive. I arrived about 15 minutes before park opening and received a flyer at the parking booth that directed me to head straight to the gate for season pass processing. Additionally, when I entered there were signs out front confirming that season pass processing would occur at the gate. As Krandor mentioned, you scan your voucher, scan your fingerprint, and get your card at the gate. The process worked flawlessly for me. At the end of the day I added my season parking to my pass at the processing center and that worked without issue for me.

As has already been mentioned, lines were pretty short early in the day so I was able to hit several rides very quickly. Everything was two train operation for most or all of the day except Ninja and Mindbender. Later in the day Batman went to single train operation as I believe they had some trouble with train 1. Georgia Scorcher and Dare Devil Dive both opened late and suffered intermittent downtime for parts of the morning and early afternoon.

As some other quick notes:

-DDD in particular went down twice just while I was in line. One of those times appeared to be the result of a patron who tried to pull down on her restraint before it hydraulically lowered. This presumably caused an error and stopped the ride... for the next 15 minutes while it was reset by mechanics and cycled. Gotta love the GP. Additionally, at about 1:30 I was in line for DDD and asked the attendant how many people had ridden for the day as she had a counter in her hand. At that point the count was only 1149, which I find to be pretty disappointing some 3 1/2 hours after park opening.

-Georgia Cyclone was definitely smoother than last season, but only marginally so. The turnarounds following the initial turnaround are still pretty jarring compared to the drops, but the drops are fairly smooth and enjoyable. Sitting in the back seat, the ride really does have several surprisingly good pops of airtime. I’m fairly lenient when it comes to roughness on woodies, but for me personally, Georgia Cyclone has finally crossed into possibly re-ridable territory.

-Goliath received new foam for its restraints during the off season. The signs of B&M rattle that I experienced last season on the first and second drops appear to have been fully addressed in the off season, as you would expect. Also, there were some issues releasing the restraints after some rides. I saw several instances where attendants had to manually release the restraints for a car or two. Not sure if that was operator error or just freshly tightened and rebuilt parts, but it slowed otherwise great operations down a bit. I happened to catch the last train of the day on Goliath and I must say that a night ride in the front seat on Goliath remains one of my favorite coaster experiences.

-GASM received a fairly significant amount of new wood over the off season, and I’m pleased to report that you can definitely feel the difference. It was running better than it has in the past several years IMO. I really enjoyed my ride. Additionally, I noted that GASMs trains received new foam padding on the seats and lab bars. They also appeared to be freshly painted.

Overall it was a great day at the park, and the I thought the park handled the crowds pretty well. My only minor complaint is that Mindbender was single train all day. Not bad for my first opening day though. I look forward to getting back this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
^lol probably. they close rides when it's barely sprinkling outside so they will probably do the same with wind.

I was at the park yesterday (Sunday, 3/30) and all rides were open.

I recommend everyone get on Georgia Cyclone if you've been avoiding it in years past due to the discomfort of riding. It's running better this season than ever. It's not longer a defensive ride for me, even in the back seat. The first two drops and first turnaround are still smooth as glass with the RMC Topper Track, and it seems like they keep adding new wood. The fourth drop is actually enjoyable now, and there are only a few spots with some mild jackhammering at the bottom of a couple drops. I rode in the front seat of the back car, so it's possible that made a difference too (it has in the past).

The park was fairly busy. One of the area school districts started spring break this week, and there was also a large cheerleading competition going on. The front gate was a bit of a mess at opening, with several hundred people lined up trying to get in. It took us over 20 minutes to get through the gate. I suspect a lot of that was due to the cheerleading competition, as I overheard someone saying it started at 11 (park opening was 10:30).. so I'm guessing there was a big rush of people trying to get in all at once. The new finger scanning probably slowed things down a bit too. Once inside, waits for the rides (Goliath, Batman, Superman) were all in the 30-45 minute range by mid-afternoon. Cyclone, GASM, and Mindbender were 10-15 minutes, DDD looked to be about an hour. Scorcher's line didn't look bad either mid-afternoon, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Most of the ride crews were doing a really good job, especially Goliath. The two lapbar checkers were really moving quickly, and stacking was rare with two-train operation. All of the rides had two trains on them. Someone else I believe noted that a lot the rides have new restraints on them.

For anyone with season passes, just FYI you no longer get physical coupons. You can see all the bring-a-friend discount days online, and then you just show your pass at a ticket window and let them know you're buying a discounted friend's ticket. Same for food and merchandise discounts - you just show your pass (I was surprised and pleased to find out about a buy one get one free deal on meal baskets).

Overall, a good day at the park.

After this week, the park resumes weekend only operation until Memorial Day Weekend.

I'm heading to the park this weekend. Theoretically, I should be fine with people coming back and leaving. I'll see if I can get an update on Hurricane Harbor.