TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I don't quite understand why people think a huge Metropolitan area like Atlanta can't support two water parks.

Wouldn't it be 3.5 water parks now?? Lake Lanier Islands water park and Lake Winnie too?? Love Whitewater and it's surroundings. But I do agree with you Robb, I think they will all do well! viva la water parks!

I wouldn't add Lake Winnie into the discussion. Sure, it's only an hour and a half north, but it's a completely different target market that probably won't suffer from anything SFOG adds. If anything, I suspect Lake Lanier would hurt the most from this. We visited that quirky little aging park a couple years ago, and I'm surprised it continues to hang on. Truth is though, you could put a few puddles and slides anywhere in a warm climate and people will find their way to it.

^Agreed!

This is less about Atlanta's support (or non) of two water parks and more about the constant underachievement of the SFoG property. There was hope amongst several park goers in this area that with the opening of that much space there would be a coaster of note built not unlike what Great America got, or what Magic Mountain gets, or what Great Adventure gets. There was a possibility that the property would think to build a coaster that would at least be long enough for a MCBR (which no SFoG coaster has). Build a record breaker or something close to a record breaker that would give local riders reason to be excited and distant riders reason to visit more often.

All "several" of you?

As for having 2 waterparks, in 4 visits to Atlanta I've never gone to Whitewater but have gone to SFOG 3 of the 4 times. If there is a waterpark right there I'm certain to visit instead of going out of my way.

Well said and I think you hit the nail on the head. Been to Atlanta many times but have never bothered with a smaller waterpark north of town. But I have made the jump out to Six Flags on every one of those visits. Makes more sense to consolidate your offerings.

There was a possibility that the property would think to build a coaster that would at least be long enough for a MCBR (which no SFoG coaster has).

Apparently you haven't been on Mind Bender or Dare Devil Dive.

I've been on both...repeatedly. Perhaps I should have made my point more clear. Six Flags needs more coasters or substantial length much like the coasters at the sister parks in other big market cities . (Chicago, NY/NJ, L.A.) With their failure to do so with the space they now had at the park the park has missed an opportunity to create one. Mindbender opened in '78. Daredevil Dive is 45 seconds long, which kinda speaks to the problem.

This is less about Atlanta's support (or non) of two water parks and more about the constant underachievement of the SFoG property. There was hope amongst several park goers in this area that with the opening of that much space there would be a coaster of note built not unlike what Great America got, or what Magic Mountain gets, or what Great Adventure gets. There was a possibility that the property would think to build a coaster that would at least be long enough for a MCBR (which no SFoG coaster has). Build a record breaker or something close to a record breaker that would give local riders reason to be excited and distant riders reason to visit more often.

All "several" of you?

Consolidating thoughts and opinions from this site and those on SFoG's FAcebook page, yes, all "Several" of me. Look, I get that there are proponents of the water park and again, this isn't to say that Hurricane Harbor is a bad idea. What I am saying is that the opening of the space could have been the impetus to build a substantial thrill ride in a thrill park. You say tomato, I say tom-ah-to.

^Why do you think you need so much space to build a world class coaster? Look at SFGAm (like you say you want), that's put in a tiny footprint! You need a lot more room for a water park so it seems like they're doing the smart thing here.

^Why do you think you need so much space to build a world class coaster? Look at SFGAm (like you say you want), that's put in a tiny footprint! You need a lot more room for a water park so it seems like they're doing the smart thing here.

Quite honestly, you're right, you don't need a ton of space for a decent coaster. I only question the redundancy of having two Six Flags water parks. That said, I understand how it could positively affect SF's bottom line even if my small opinion is that it's a less than stellar idea. I can only hope that within the next few years the park will get another decent coaster as coasters are what move the meter for most park fans.

I don't quite understand why people think a huge Metropolitan area like Atlanta can't support two water parks.

Exactly, Fresno is much smaller then Atlanta and has had two water parks for years.

I agree- 2 parks should be no big deal. Here in the DFW area we have 8 million people and 8 to 10 waterparks- They are all crowded. I would not think 2 would be a big deal. Hurricane Harbor in DFW is SF most attended waterpark. Competition does not seem to hurt it at all. I like SFFT's water that is included in the Park admission. I wish ours was like that. Probably would not work here as SF only owns half of SFOT.

Totally disappointed in this announcement. I have lived in Atlanta for 16 years and been to WW once. Most of the people I know could care less about water parks but love thrill parks and coasters. I don't see why SF only has one brand new coaster out of the whole chain (and that coaster went to a park that got a brand new coaster 2 years ago and namtaB this year!) With them pouring this much money into our park, I don't see why they couldn't have done something coaster wise, even if that meant backwards Batman. I see no use for another water park, especially inside SFOG. This only means that it will make lines longer for the coasters we do have and also will mean lots of wet people on the coasters. If there is one thing I hate, it is sitting in a wet seat. This probably will also mean a rise in admission and season passes. I get why they did it (money) but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Heres a picture of it Renderings

Since there are two bowl slides in that rendering, I'm assuming that those to the left are family slides.

Or it is just concept art with no association with the final product whatsoever.

Anyhow I love water parks and this is awesome news. Now I have another park to follow construction of this winter.

I wonder if there are any future plans to build a separate parking lot near the water park where the existing employee lot/bone yard is?

Also, I wish one water park would build a full sized "amusement park" style water ride in the water park that you can ride in bathing suits. How awesome would a full sized river rapids ride or log flume or super splash be in a bathing suit while your in the water park? Not to mention that those rides are capacity monsters, someone just do it already!

^Yeah, but they are teh only ones (in America as far as I know) that have ever attempted it. Just seems like such a natural fit.

Now that Giraffica is in Splashin Safari, aren't you allowed to wear swim suits?

Back on topic, this will be great for the park. I don't see any issues with having two water parks in a metro area. I've always been a bit puzzled by the slides back in that corner of the park anyways.

It's not so much that people are referring to the two water parks in the area, the more the merrier I'd say, but it's that they're both operated by the same company, If I the consumer were to buy a combo pass, I intend to visit both SFoG and WW. With the addition of Hurricane Harbor, why should I even consider the option of a pass to both parks when I can just visit SFoG/HH for the price of a regular season pass.

I personally live between the two parks, but why should I now make the drive to White Water when I can just exclude that cost from a regular season pass. Nothing there convinces me to spend more money.

If these wer operated by two separate companies then the two could seriously compete with each other, drawing the same waterpark-seeking crowd to whichever was the better park. Why would SFoG now compete with themselves?

It's not so much that people are referring to the two water parks in the area, the more the merrier I'd say, but it's that they're both operated by the same company, If I the consumer were to buy a combo pass, I intend to visit both SFoG and WW. With the addition of Hurricane Harbor, why should I even consider the option of a pass to both parks when I can just visit SFoG/HH for the price of a regular season pass.

I personally live between the two parks, but why should I now make the drive to White Water when I can just exclude that cost from a regular season pass. Nothing there convinces me to spend more money.

If these wer operated by two separate companies then the two could seriously compete with each other, drawing the same waterpark-seeking crowd to whichever was the better park. Why would SFoG now compete with themselves?

My guess, now that Six Flags has played this Hurricane Harbor card, is that they plan to now rid themselves of White Water in Marietta, especially since this is going to be a multi-year growth project. If that news weren't 8-12 months out from now I'd be surprised. There's really no sense in them having two parks under the same banner unless they were planning to go maniacal and buy all the water parks. There's a little something for everyone now with Lake Lanier for the extreme north metro, Stone Mountain out east, Cobb County with the two water parks now, and even down south with Clayton International Park and the little water attractions they have there.

They should have removed Ninja, pissed and shitted on it's grave, and then built an awesome RMC woodie (complete with batshit insane inversions and ). Also, as someone who has been on Mind Bender MANY times, it has an MCBR as much as it has a 3rd inversion (which is to say, not at all)

My reasoning:

I'm not really afraid about the future of both water parks since they both are really catered to different people. White Water: People of Atlanta; Hurricane Harbor: Travelers from outside of Atlanta. Really, I don't see White Water going anywhere soon.

I have no doubt Atlanta can support two water parks, but I don't understand how Six Flags benefits from owning two water parks less than half an hour away from each other. (And yes, I realize traffic may extend that travel time at certain points of the day, but the two parks are still extremely close to one another.)

Unless Six Flags differentiates the parks in some way (e.g. White Water becomes the cheaper, more neighborhood-y water park option whereas Hurricane Harbor is marketed as the more expensive, state of the art water park), it seems to me that they will start competing with one another. In marketing Hurricane Harbor, Six Flags runs the serious risk of drawing guests away from White Water. And if someone has an example to the contrary, please share it, but I've never seen cannibalization work out in favor for the company in question.

Wouldn't it be more efficient for Six Flags to consolidate their water park operations and send everyone to the new Hurricane Harbor (sort of like what we're seeing in the airline industry where airlines are reducing route overlap and hubs to maximize remaining occupancy)? It doesn't seem like that much of a marketing stretch to convince people to drive another 25 minutes down the road (and that extra time will be less for those living closer to SFoG).

In short, unless White Water was filled to capacity every day, I see little reason to add another water park a short trip away unless that new water park will provide a marketably different experience of some sort.