TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I'm thinking that Six Flags as a company wouldn't do something as asinine as place two significantly sized water parks within ten miles of one another under the same company banner, but SF has done stupid things before. Unless there are plans to get rid of the property off I-75 and just build one park to make SFoG a 2-in-1 park I can't see this being a significantly sized water park. At least that's my hope.

That said...I can't see this being a significantly sized coaster/attraction either, at least not for 2014; with demolition of Southern Star, site prep, regrading of land, etc etc it seems way too much to do in one off season.

I'm just hoping for something significant. Something that moves SFoG beyond regional park status, tired of midsized coasters not even long enough for a midcourse brake run, tired of my home park being an also ran. For heaven's sake, do something of note..

Edited by skrapdiggy

AMEN TO THAT! I totally agree! And like you said it wouldn't make since to put a waterpark so close to another one owned by the same people! But like you said sf is dumb. Lol but I just hope we get some new type of coaster! It is getting quite annoying not have a roller coaster longer than 2 minutes. And please believe me! We do have room for some type of record breaker!

I'm thinking that Six Flags as a company wouldn't do something as asinine as place two significantly sized water parks within ten miles of one another under the same company banner but SF has done stupid things before. Unless there are plans to get rid of the property off I-75 and just build one park to make SFoG a 2-in-1 park I can't see this being a significantly sized water park. At least that's my hope.

I agree as well. I'm not sure how a bigger waterpark at SFOG helps them because I don't see it selling more season tickets then they currently sell and you normally want an expansion to sell more tickets. If anything, it could reduce season ticket sales (or combo passes) to whitewater because people will think they don't need to add whitewater when SFOG has a decent park itself.

You have SF and WW with separate gate fees so merging them into one place with a single gate fee just doesn't make sense or doing anything that could hurt the gate fees at the second location.

That being said, I would love to see a water coaster like Master Blaster, but I think Six Flags as a whole only has one of those. However, I think WW would be the better location for the water coaster then SFOG.

About the survey:

The survey also mentioned a hyper and 400 ft. drop tower, so those are possibilities as well. (Sarcasm) If the survey actually was something like Lake Monster at Darien Lake where it gave more information, I would be speculating for a water park as well.

We are all remembering White Water, right? You know, the water park that just got new slides this season and could easily expand into American Adventures if they owned the land.

I'm not seeing anything major coming that would really be water based.

When I was there this weekend, they hadn't started clearing land or anything in that area. But it being a flat area they maynot have to start clearing anything to have a coaster ready by next year. I really don't believe it will be a coaster though.

I am leaning towards a water park expansion being so close to skull island and then a more modern "Show" or "Concert" area that takes up less space. I say this because like I mentioned earlier, they where looking for sponsors for the 2014 six flags celebration and I don't believe they have any other place to do shows that big in the park anywhere. Why look for sponsors if they can't have a concert? (Unless it was a generic announcment)

I really enjoy skull island on a hot day and it is so crowded they could use a little bigger area. Not a full size water park by any means, just more slides or a lazy river or something.

Kind of nostalgic and sad for me with the removal of Southern Star. When I worked there in the 80's they got some awesome shows. I remember seeing Erasure open for Duran Duran there (I still think this is the concert that turned me gay .) I also remember Hudu Gurus, Billy Idol and others.

It makes sense that it is a Skull Island expansion (which bums me out,) with the location and the fact that there isn't much of a "water park" presence within the park itself. White Water is great, but it is on the other side of town.

We shall see what happens, and I will always love SFoG.

D

This sounds interesting

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/23413379/article-Economic-impact-of-Six-Flags--%24175M?instance=home_top_bullets

here's my favorite quote.

Dale Kaetzel, park president, said he would be making an announcement next week about a major capital investment in the park that will transform Six Flags Over Georgia, “taking it to places it’s never been.”

Another coaster, especially launched, would be absolutely amazing. I would also like to point out that Skull Island is a full and complete water park on its own. It's not like it's in need of an expansion because it's too small to be considered a water-based attraction area.

Never gonna happen except for possibly SFMM. That would be stupid for them to build a hotel. Most of these parks are only open from 6-8 months out of the whole year. Disney/Universal are open year round. Even Dollywood is open for the majority of the year because they have the christmas festivals. Pigeon Forge is also a tourist destination where people do other things besides the park. So is Universal/Disney. The others aren't. The only exception is Cedar Point, and if I am not mistaken most of the hotels are closed during the off season.