TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Just a random interesting fact (since people were talking about the 3 bench PTC trains on GASM):

those trains ran on Colossus from 1979-1987

I assume they had 6 of those for Colossus, so there are plenty of parts to keep 2 up and running for GASM. I don't think there were many PTC trains fitted with locking mechanisms on either side of the buzzbars... but I think Rolling Thunder at Great Adventure is the same. Must have been a 1979/Six Flags thing

On a related note, a couple years ago I asked a GASM ride op "will the 2nd train be on today?" to which he replied "there is no 2nd train." Not the end of the world or anything, just funny.

Too bad the chain couldn't have caused significant damage to Ninja.

That really is unfortunate isn't it... I wish that the money/hassle of fixing whatever they're fixing would finally put this ride on the chopping block. How many seasons of walk-on-anytime-all-day ridership is it going to take?

^ In my experience of four trips last summer, yes. All four trips Ninja was walk-on or at the worst maybe a 10 minute station wait, even with single train operation. In Ninja's defense, I did hit up some fairly light days at the park, but even then most of the other rides had 25-30+ minute waits.

I get poked fun of saying it all the time, but all those old Arrow/Vekoma coasters might be a LOT of fun with just lap bars. Even Ninja - heck, even the Ninja in St. Louis! There have been rumors about several companies (including one that builds woodies) looking into supplying those old steel coasters with new lap bar trains. I'd like to see it happen...

PTC still offers the single-position lap bars, but they're out of favor now due to past incidents with them and many parks would rather have the individual ratcheting lap bars, more for the safety side. They can still make a brand new train for GASM from the ground up if PTC really wanted to.

Those trains with the single position lap bars are actually pretty dangerous. I feel like I could stand up and get out when the lap bar is locked (I'm not going to, of course). The lap bar stops at the top of my chest, when I was a little younger it was almost to my chin. I do like the 3 benches per train, though.

Those trains with the single position lap bars are actually pretty dangerous. I feel like I could stand up and get out when the lap bar is locked (I'm not going to, of course).

You are not supposed to stand up. Sure they are dangerous if you stand up. A street is also dangerous if you go stand in the middle. Unfortunately, the American legal system doesn't consider arguments for common sense.

The opposite case can be argued as well; there have been some accidents on coaster with ratcheting lap bars that probably would NOT have happened if the ride had (or still had) one position buzz bars.

Follow rules. If you see someone not following rules on a ride, notify a ride op or someone in charge. People doing stupid things on rides is THE REASON we have all these redundant ratcheting lap bars, individual seat belts, seat dividers, etc. etc.... oh yeah, add 3 layers of 20 foot high fences around rides.

Rides are HUGE powerful machines. If you do not respect them and follow rules, they will not respect you.

^ Saturdays and Sundays are usually pretty bad. I think the Friday in question looks really good. That Friday is a school day, so I would expect a low turn out. If you do go, report back to us and let everyone know how crowded it was and what the latest happenings were.

I was listening to the radio, and they said SkyScreamer wouldn't be open until this summer. Of course, that could generally mean anything after Memorial Day Weekend, which I'm still convinced will be the opening of the ride.

Memorial Day weekend seems the most likely. School will be out for summer the week before Memorial Day Weekend, so that is actually the summer.

Going to try and plan a trip to Six Flags this year to try out skyscreamer.. I haven't been in 2 years. I just have to decide if I want to get a Hotel or drive. 3 hours in the morning to the park isn't bad but the 3 hour drive back from a tiring day at six flags is a killer!!!

Do you think Friday, March 29, the first day of spring break days, will be very crowded...say compared to the following Saturday and Sunday?

I usually go to six flags mid week and it still gets pretty crowded. Last time, on a Wednesday, i had to even break down and get a flash pass mid-day. The hour long waits where a killer. But then again, that was mid-summer.

Do they turn the water level down any when the temperatures are cool, like in the 60s?

What do you mean by "turn the water level down"? Most rides wont run when its cold. They open it in the summer.

^We really need more info... Like what day are you going? Are you willing to get a Flash Pass? Are there any rides you must get on or want to ride multiple times? The more details like this you can give, the better the forum can help you out.