TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

???? - Future Attraction Survey - (9/28/12) Over the past few weeks, Six Flags over Georgia has been conducting some online guest surveys regarding future park attractions. Many of the questions being asked seem related to the concept of building an official waterpark area on SFOG property that would be included for free with regular park admission.

The park did quiz some guests in select surveys to find out if there was any interest in other attraction concepts. New attractions mentioned include: a Batman simulator ride, new Bumper Cars, 400 ft drop tower ride, Hypercoaster, Extra Large Fun House, New Dolphin Show, New Flipping/Spinning Coaster, New kiddie area with 4-5 kiddie rides, indoor interactive shooting dark ride, or a new Cirque style show.

However, they asked guests to pick their preference between the park adding every one of these new possible attraction concepts vs the new water park area.

400ft. drop tower? We're forgetting a height restriction, right and Acrophobia?

Today, I visited my old stomping grounds to ride Wheelie a few times. I'll miss this ride, and I hope that SFOG gets more flats in the future.

A quick side note: I finally got to ride Georgia Cyclone with its new topper track. It feels amazing! The ride was butter smooth the whole way before going back to its old track, and I also noticed several construction markings along the rest of the layout. Now that could be anything, but I'm hoping it's a sign that more topper track is on the way. Georgia Cyclone really needs this. I saw a few spots where the track showed a lot of wear and tear. It would be great if it got a fresh coat of paint as well!

Anyways, here are some pictures I took of Wheelie. Feel free to use these images as wallpaper it you'd like.

P1010549.thumb.JPG.87159393bc9b230cb46ea36954421a9e.JPG

P1010547.thumb.JPG.06d781ee083d181e550668bf3010545b.JPG

P1010550.thumb.JPG.f0de8e79b42a70f8dd648de4c3c451a8.JPG

P1010551.thumb.JPG.a5115fe7fe9cbfa95e856a11c775d47d.JPG

P1010552.thumb.jpg.4f0cd52deae124526929041a7c9bbb80.jpg

P1010554.thumb.JPG.b8455929f4da241e7091e4e7faf7ff16.JPG

P1010553.thumb.JPG.ef72a2972e937303e4cee064f08ebf9d.JPG

So long, old friend. Thanks for all the fun-filled spins.

I was able to give the Topper-Track Cyclone a spin recently as well. I've been pretty dismissive of a lot of the whining about Cyclone, but after my ride I was shocked at the state of the ride that hasn't been worked on yet. The topper track is butter-smooth. Afterwards, the jarring is something to behold. Any trim that you encountered over the course of the layout hit excessively hard as well, which meant that your ass stayed in the seat the entire time so that every bump was felt. GaCy was probably among my favorites, and definitely the best of the Cy-Clones (Coney Cyclone included) based on my last rides prior to this visit (the year that this big park decided to defy logic and build a Eurofighter). Really looking forward to seeing this work completed.

???? - Future Attraction Survey - (9/28/12) Over the past few weeks, Six Flags over Georgia has been conducting some online guest surveys regarding future park attractions. Many of the questions being asked seem related to the concept of building an official waterpark area on SFOG property that would be included for free with regular park admission.

The park did quiz some guests in select surveys to find out if there was any interest in other attraction concepts. New attractions mentioned include: a Batman simulator ride, new Bumper Cars, 400 ft drop tower ride, Hypercoaster, Extra Large Fun House, New Dolphin Show, New Flipping/Spinning Coaster, New kiddie area with 4-5 kiddie rides, indoor interactive shooting dark ride, or a new Cirque style show.

However, they asked guests to pick their preference between the park adding every one of these new possible attraction concepts vs the new water park area.

Um.. Some of this wont work (hyper umm Goliath & 400ft drop tower already explained) however, I very interested in the 4d coaster (will it be a S&S or a Intamin?) and to see how the dark ride and Simulator turn out (SF hasn't done simulators since the Time Warner era) Also if they do an included water park, I can see White Water closing in a couple years.

I was able to give the Topper-Track Cyclone a spin recently as well. I've been pretty dismissive of a lot of the whining about Cyclone, but after my ride I was shocked at the state of the ride that hasn't been worked on yet. The topper track is butter-smooth. Afterwards, the jarring is something to behold. Any trim that you encountered over the course of the layout hit excessively hard as well, which meant that your A$$ stayed in the seat the entire time so that every bump was felt. GaCy was probably among my favorites, and definitely the best of the Cy-Clones (Coney Cyclone included) based on my last rides prior to this visit (the year that this big park decided to defy logic and build a Eurofighter). Really looking forward to seeing this work completed.

I totally agree with you. I was at the park yesterday and today - Sunday. I think one of the trains is worse than the other, but still brutal either way. I'll only ride in the first train (front row if the line isn't too long). I can't imagine what it's like further back. I hope Melinda gets her funding for topper track in 2013.

I prefer the Scream Machine so much more... I guess I'm more of an out and back guy over a twister.

Screamscape wrote:???? - Future Attraction Survey - (9/28/12) Over the past few weeks, Six Flags over Georgia has been conducting some online guest surveys regarding future park attractions. Many of the questions being asked seem related to the concept of building an official waterpark area on SFOG property that would be included for free with regular park admission.

Another hypercoaster sounds something like Skyrush to me. For the Dolphin show idea isn't there an old aqua show area near Canyon Blaster (I can't remember) that has been closed for some time they could use. I would really like to see a simulator ride/shooting dark ride for a D.C. character (like Spiderman or the new D.C. invasion). An expansion for skull island would be pretty cool to see (White water is still one of the top water parks in the U.S. and a few new slides wouldn't close it down) like a slide or two over GASM (like Canadian MineBuster at Canada's Wonderland).

400ft. drop tower? We're forgetting a height restriction, right and Acrophobia?

240ft above ground 160ft below ground (kidding but you never know)

The other ideas sound really cool too but I would really like to see Georgia Cyclone have it's re tracking finished for 2013.

Sometimes I wonder if these future attraction surveys aren't necessarily market research for just the park they conduct them at, but if it's really research for future attractions in Six Flags parks in general. I also think that some of the potential rides they mention are not things they are actually considering in the future, but are just thrown in there to see what their guest demographic feels is "missing" or would be a draw for them. For instance, I really don't think that SFOG is actually considering adding a 400 ft drop tower, hypercoaster, or dolphin show, but they are using vague examples to see if people are more interested in shows/family attractions vs. big thrill rides.

Of course, enthusiasts always tend to take these surveys much more literally than they're intended to be.

I am really hoping the park plans to relocate Wheelie, since its spot it the highly likely location of Sky Screamer. However, aren't they supposed to be bringing back Shake, Rattle, and Roll sometime as part of the park's five year plan? Perhaps Wheelie will return with this plan as well? This may just however be wishful thinking.

I am really hoping the park plans to relocate Wheelie, since its spot it the highly likely location of Sky Screamer. However, aren't they supposed to be bringing back Shake, Rattle, and Roll sometime as part of the park's five year plan? Perhaps Wheelie will return with this plan as well? This may just however be wishful thinking.

Greatest username (and first post) there has ever been.

The return of Wheelie would be magnificent. It was one of the best rides in the park when I visited in 2011... I haven't been on an Enterprise since .

SFOG already has a drop tower and a hypercoaster anyway. No point in adding more of those.

As it stands, I think this place has one of the better collection of coasters around. It's so well-rounded, that it doesn't jump out at you right away that there isn't a launched coaster there. It's hard to believe that Viper has been gone for over 10 years. With the two Premier rides going in to the California Parks, that's what I would put my money on.

Sometimes I wonder if these future attraction surveys aren't necessarily market research for just the park they conduct them at, but if it's really research for future attractions in Six Flags parks in general. I also think that some of the potential rides they mention are not things they are actually considering in the future, but are just thrown in there to see what their guest demographic feels is "missing" or would be a draw for them. For instance, I really don't think that SFOG is actually considering adding a 400 ft drop tower, hypercoaster, or dolphin show, but they are using vague examples to see if people are more interested in shows/family attractions vs. big thrill rides.

Good point

There is too much red tape for the park to get a 400 foot tall ride. That can't be something they are considering, but would (as you said) indicate that guests are more in favor of thrill rides

The return of Wheelie would be magnificent. It was one of the best rides in the park when I visited in 2011... I haven't been on an Enterprise since .

Wheelie hasn't gone anywhere - perhaps you misread his post.

Wheelie hasn't gone anywhere - perhaps you misread his post.

I meant sometime in 2013 or 2014, after they put in the Sky Sleeper.

We announced today that the park is removing Wheelie to make room for SkyScreamer in 2013.

Here is the press release with more information:

Six Flags Over Georgia to Retire Classic Wheelie Ride to Make Room for 2013 Thrills

Guests invited to pay final respects to spinning ride that debuted in 1977

AUSTELL, Ga. – October 10, 2012 – Six Flags Over Georgia will say goodbye to a classic thrill ride in 2012 as it makes room for the new-for-2013 SkyScreamer, the tallest ride ever to be built at the theme park. Wheelie, a ride that spins passengers around and around (and upside down), will be retired at the end of the 2012 season.

Wheelie was introduced at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1977 in the park’s U.S.A. section – close to where the mega-coaster Goliath now stands. In 1985, the ride was moved to its current location in the park’s Lickskillet section. Since its debut, Wheelie has thrilled millions of riders by spinning them horizontally and vertically through intense revolutions at high speeds.

Guests can pay their final respects by taking one last ride during the remaining weekends of Fright Fest. The ride will close to the public at the end of the season on October 28, 2012.

Wheelie is being removed to make room for the park’s newest thrill ride. SkyScreamer will spin guests in a 98-foot circle at speeds of 40 miles per hour atop a 24-story tower. Thirty-two guests board the ride and sit two across in open-air swings as they climb to the top of the tower while spinning round and round, high above the ground below.

2013 Six Flags Over Georgia Season Passes are now on sale at the lowest prices of the year and provide unlimited visits for the rest of the 2012 season (including Fright Fest) and all of 2013. For as low as $49.99 per pass, guests that purchase 4 or more will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass which includes free admission and free season parking to any Six Flags Theme Park with every pass. Offer expires October 28, 2012.

Fright Fest at Six Flags Over Georgia runs weekends only through October 28. Operating hours are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 10 p.m. on Sundays. The park is also open 6 p.m. to midnight on Friday, October 26. For more information about Six Flags Over Georgia visit sixflags.com/overgeorgia.

I know you guys never like to see parks remove rides (we don't either), but at some point, rides pass their expected life and, due to a number of reasons, must be retired. We are excited that we will be replacing Wheelie with another exciting thrill ride that will be a family favorite just like Wheelie has been since 1977.