TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Sixty-five people were injured when six school buses crashed on the way to Six Flags over Georgia today.

(CNN) -- Six school buses bound for a metro Atlanta amusement park were involved in a multi-vehicle crash Saturday, sending 65 people to the hospital, including a seriously injured driver, Georgia authorities said.

The incident occurred about 10:15 a.m. on westbound Interstate 20 in Newton County, about 45 miles east of Atlanta.

Burke County buses bound for Six Flags Over Georgia began slowing for a lane closure about one half mile ahead.

"As the buses slowed, one bus struck the rear of another setting off a chain-reaction crash. (A) passenger car was the last vehicle in the line and struck the rear of the sixth bus," said Gordy Wright, spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol.

One of the Burke County bus drivers was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.

Most of the 65 taken to area hospitals were examined, released and returned to Burke County, south of Augusta, said Wright. Six Flags is west of Atlanta.

The crash was under investigation.

Link

^That's the day I'm going to SFOG. Guess I won't be able to ride GASM.

Oh well, at least it's a good cause.

It's possible the ride will still be open to the public. They could alternate a coasterthon train with a general public train - but the wait would be twice as long. Hopefully I'll be there riding in the coasterthon, as long as I'm one of the top 24 fundraisers.

• 2 weeks later...
^That's the day I'm going to SFOG. Guess I won't be able to ride GASM.

Oh well, at least it's a good cause.

It's possible the ride will still be open to the public. They could alternate a coasterthon train with a general public train - but the wait would be twice as long. Hopefully I'll be there riding in the coasterthon, as long as I'm one of the top 24 fundraisers.

You are correct- we will have 1 train for park guests and 1 train for the coasterthon participants.

So, is there a good chance I'll need to buy a Flash Pass this Friday? I believe Georgia schools got out this past week, and so far the weather is saying sunny and 86 degrees in Austell. The park is only open until 7, which I would assume would be enough time to get everything in even if all the lines were 45 minutes, but I guess put a Flash Pass on reserve just in case, or if nothing else for re-rides? I'd just be getting a regular Flash Pass, as I need to save as much money up as I can for my big July trip.

I plan to hit Dare Devil Dive and Superman right after opening, as I'm pretty sure those are the two coasters that will have the longest lines later on.

For the record, we got out two weeks ago. I would say that you might want to put the Flash Pass on reserve. DDD actually has a fast line, so Superman might be the go to ride first. Operations at the park aren't nearly as bad as say, Magic Mountain.

Up until last year it had been 10 years since i have been to Six Flags over Georgia. I must say I'm impressed with how the park has progressed over the years. Also how clean it is and how committed to improvement they have become. I say this with knowledge since i used to work there. That is the reason I have purchased season passes for my family this year. I was very impressed with skull island. Yesterday was my first time in skull island and we as a family had a blast. That was a great element for them to add. It was pretty cool getting on a water slide with the Scream Machine in the background.

I've just been reading through old trip reports, and a lot of them keep saying to beware of GASM. That it's really painful. None of them say why... Does it jackhammer, is it extreme airtime that busts your legs against the bars, is it just the sudden brakes at the end?

On GASM make sure you sit on a non wheel seat (middle row in each car) and you will do fine. I find the the exact center of train does give you a pleasent ride. As for Cyclone and Ninja make sure you ride in the front seat of the very last car. Anywhere else is death. I actually do like Cyclone, but just expect for some violent, jarring airtime on it.

The last time I rode GASM, I rode in the first car, third row. It backslapped and buttslapped me the entire ride. Hated it. I guess I can trust the center of each car for a better ride. I'll remember that the next time I ride it.

Yea, that seems to be the "rule of thumb" with these six seater cars. I rode Judge Roy Scream today in the middle row of the last train and was fine. Yet, the people in front and back of me were moaning about their backs after the ride.

Just keep in mind that a large portion of weekday visitors are groups that likely can't/won't cancel their trip since forecasts only become accurate a few days in advance

With that said, just go at opening and you'll at least get a lot in early. Not that I would expect the park to be packed or anything

Yea, that seems to be the "rule of thumb" with these six seater cars. I rode Judge Roy Scream today in the middle row of the last train and was fine. Yet, the people in front and back of me were moaning about their backs after the ride.

For some reason I'd gotten the idea that 1.3 was always the best on rides with three-row cars (not just on Phoenix, Magnum, Morgan hypers, etc.). That's what I did on Judge Roy Scream, but I'm trying to teach myself to go to for middle rows in the future.

A non-wheel seat in a three-bench car is ideal on the wood coasters. It's the only seat I wait for on the Beast (other than an occassional ride in the very front seat). I thought GASM was quite smooth on my visit last year unlike Georgia Cyclene, which I didn't know there was a magic seat on that ride.

For some reason I'd gotten the idea that 1.3 was always the best on rides with three-row cars (not just on Phoenix, Magnum, Morgan hypers, etc.). That's what I did on Judge Roy Scream, but I'm trying to teach myself to go to for middle rows in the future.

The 1.3 seat for airtime and the middle seat (non-wheel) for a smoother ride.