TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park: What ride will make me love roller coasters?

PackerGrant96

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forums but have been visiting the site often and absolutely love it. I am not a big roller coaster rider but hoping to change that! In June sometime my school is taking us on a trip to Thorpe Park for good behavior but I am scared of roller coasters and after all Thorpe Park is "The Nation's Thrill Capital" so I was hoping to do something about that...

Is there anyone on TPR that could give me a ride at Thorpe Park that will change my mind about roller coasters? I have never been on one that goes upside down or one that has a vertical drop - so I was looking for a ride that does both of them but isn't rough and extremely enjoyable. I've heard Saw: The Ride is very smooth and features a vertical drop and many inversions so this is my first ride I am planning on going on, but if anyone else has suggestions then they would be very much appreciated!

--- Grant

Edited by PackerGrant96

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Saw can be smooth or rough depending on what car you get. If you're visiting on a school trip day in June then it will be packed, so if you want to ride everything you'll have to plan a little bit. Here's the route I tell people to take which hasn't failed yet.

-When the park opens, RUN to Saw and get in line as soon as possible. The ride can get some pretty hefty queues so it's good to get it out of the way early.

-Next go over to Nemesis Inferno at the back of the park, if you plan on riding Samurai at all during your day, it's probably best to do this right after Saw before going to Inferno.

-After that go over to Stealth, if the line for the front row doesn't go beyond the staircase, get in line for the front, it's pretty cool. If it's long, just get as far to the back of the train as possible.

-Then go to X:\ No Way Out.

-Then Colossus.

After that just do whatever flats you want to and try and have lunch outside of the 12:30-2:00 rush otherwise you'll be waiting for a long time.

It'll be a really busy day, but it's possible to make the most of it!

Dave

Is there anyone on TPR that could give me a ride at Thorpe Park that will change my mind about roller coasters? I have never been on one that goes upside down or one that has a vertical drop - so I was looking for a ride that does both of them but isn't rough and extremely enjoyable.

Honestly, if you're kind of new to coasters - I'd try out Nemesis: Inferno first. While it doens't quite meet all your very detailed requirements, it is smooth, fun, and a good "mid-sized" ride that won't scare the pants off you.

If you like that, I'd honestly give Stealth a try next, and then see if you're up for Saw or Colossus.

TPDave's suggestion I think is great for the seasoned coaster rider, but for someone who might be a bit apprehensive, I don't think going to ride Saw first thing is a very good idea.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Flying Fish!

No I'm joking!

However, I think that if it your first time if you ride something that will be somewhat averagely rough first (eg. Saw) then you'll get the impression that all coasters are like that and not ride anything again. So I would say start with the smooth option that is Nemesis Inferno. Then Try out Stealth before the crowds get to big.

And one more thing. As scared as you are just get into the seat and strap yourself in and you'll be fine and having a great time.

Ok thanks everyone, but I'll try out Robb's suggestion as the Nemesis POV doesn't look real bad.

The main purpose of any amusement ride is to evoke emotions. Weather that emotion be fear or pleasure. I was in the same sort of situation when I was 12/13. I absolutely loved Coasters....yet I was afraid to ride them, even kiddie coasters and whatnot. I think the important thing is to strap yourself down in a seat and enjoy it. It seems like something you can't do at the time. But when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that my fear was irrational. I didn't fear anything on the coasters, I was just afraid of what the feelings would be like (Physical and mental). So go up to a coaster, doesn't matter the size, get in line, Strap yourself in, and enjoy! Believe me, it will be the greatest experience of your life! The first few coasters you will be scared on, but eventually, you'll build up a tolerance, (INSERT PSYCHOLOGICAL/BIOLOGICAL RAMBLING HERE LATER) where you will be able to ride anything without that fear of the Unknown.(Which I need to start getting rid of for other things in my life )

Believe me, you will love it! I hope to hear that you rode a Coaster! Good Luck!

(OH! and take some pictures for a Photo Trip Report!)

-Zach "I was scared at one time too" F

I'd recommend Stealth. It's kind of a baptism of fire, but it is really smooth. I have never met anyone who disliked that ride after riding it.

More importantly, I would discourage you from riding Colossus or X:\ NO WAY OUT first since Colossus is bumpy and can be nauseating and X:\ NO WAY OUT is just bad, boring and nauseating.

Ok thanks everyone, but I'll try out Robb's suggestion as the Nemesis POV doesn't look real bad.

The main purpose of any amusement ride is to evoke emotions. Weather that emotion be fear or pleasure. I was in the same sort of situation when I was 12/13. I absolutely loved Coasters....yet I was afraid to ride them, even kiddie coasters and whatnot. I think the important thing is to strap yourself down in a seat and enjoy it. It seems like something you can't do at the time. But when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that my fear was irrational. I didn't fear anything on the coasters, I was just afraid of what the feelings would be like (Physical and mental). So go up to a coaster, doesn't matter the size, get in line, Strap yourself in, and enjoy! Believe me, it will be the greatest experience of your life! The first few coasters you will be scared on, but eventually, you'll build up a tolerance, (INSERT PSYCHOLOGICAL/BIOLOGICAL RAMBLING HERE LATER) where you will be able to ride anything without that fear of the Unknown.(Which I need to start getting rid of for other things in my life )

Believe me, you will love it! I hope to hear that you rode a Coaster! Good Luck!

(OH! and take some pictures for a Photo Trip Report!)

-Zach "I was scared at one time too" F

Yeah will do!

I'd recommend Stealth. It's kind of a baptism of fire, but it is really smooth. I have never met anyone who disliked that ride after riding it.

More importantly, I would discourage you from riding Colossus or X:\ NO WAY OUT first since Colossus is bumpy and can be nauseating and X:\ NO WAY OUT is just bad, boring and nauseating.

Just a question, is X:\ NO WAY OUT just a straight track that goes backwards at a fast speed or does it excite well?

BTW everyone, the scariest coaster I have been on was probably Crush's Coaster at DisneyLand Paris - and I wasn't scared I enjoyed it, so I am going to push myself to go on the big rides! I am writing an article for Coaster101.com about overcoming my fear of coasters and this will make me more determined to ride Saw: The Ride and Stealth!! Does anyone know if they still record your Saw: The Ride journey and can you buy it as I will post it with my TR and Coaster101 article?

Just a question, is X:\ NO WAY OUT just a straight track that goes backwards at a fast speed or does it excite well?

Ummm, X:\ NO WAY OUT is neither of those. X is like taking a few odd bits of track lying around, stringing them together, putting lots of brakes so the train stops constantly, backwards, in the dark. It is a must ride, because it is so hilariously bad, I just would not reccomend it to someone who wants to enjoy roller coasters lol. To give you an idea of how little money was spent on it, someone will correct me, but I think Saw cost around £13 million, whereas about 15 years ago, X only cost a few hundred thousand pounds. The idea was a good one, just poorly executed. The 'story' for the ride was that you were trapped in a computer virus. Yeah...

BTW everyone, the scariest coaster I have been on was probably Crush's Coaster at DisneyLand Paris - and I wasn't scared I enjoyed it, so I am going to push myself to go on the big rides! I am writing an article for Coaster101.com about overcoming my fear of coasters and this will make me more determined to ride Saw: The Ride and Stealth!! Does anyone know if they still record your Saw: The Ride journey and can you buy it as I will post it with my TR and Coaster101 article?

I *think* the on-ride cam still works. Prepare for the DVD to be incredibly expensive!!

Dave

I *think* the on-ride cam still works. Prepare for the DVD to be incredibly expensive!!

Dave

How much does it cost? Any idea. I have £30 birthday money left if it's more than £10 than hell with that.

Ummm, X:\ NO WAY OUT is neither of those. X is like taking a few odd bits of track lying around, stringing them together, putting lots of brakes so the train stops constantly, backwards, in the dark. It is a must ride, because it is so hilariously bad, I just would not reccomend it to someone who wants to enjoy roller coasters lol. To give you an idea of how little money was spent on it, someone will correct me, but I think Saw cost around £13 million, whereas about 15 years ago, X only cost a few hundred thousand pounds. The idea was a good one, just poorly executed. The 'story' for the ride was that you were trapped in a computer virus. Yeah...

Not a very big fan of X:\ NO WAY OUT then? One of my friends at school who's been before says its awful!!!

Not a very big fan of X:\ NO WAY OUT then? One of my friends at school who's been before says its awful!!!

I am kind of a fan of it, it is so unique that it can't be missed. I just don't advise that you ride it, since most people don't enjoy it. Its nickname on TPR is X:\ WTF

I am kind of a fan of it, it is so unique that it can't be missed. I just don't advise that you ride it, since most people don't enjoy it. Its nickname on TPR is X:\ WTF

Haha!!! That made me laugh like hell. I can say I won't be riding X:\ WTF! Do you know how much a Saw: The Ride DVD is?

If i had to suggest a ride to get you to love coasters, i would say Nemesis Inferno straight away, it's the ride that made me have a passion for coasters and i have loved the ride ever since. Then i'd give Stealth a go and then basically the same as what Robb said.

Personally, I have never had a fear of any coaster since the first time I rode one! Every once in a while when I'm in line for a coaster I've never ridden (esp. if it's taller, faster, or steeper than any I've ridden before) I get some pre-ride-nervousness. But I always still ride it, because I know that by the time I get off the coaster, I'm going to be saying, "That was AMAZING! Let's do it again!" instead of "OMGOMGOMG WHY DID I DO THAT??"

Whenever I'm with friends who are nervous about a coaster, I just force them to ride it with me and they're always glad they decided to go. I've only had one incidence that I can remember where someone started crying (It was my sister after Deja Vu because she had told me that she didn't like coasters that went backwards, and I made her go anyway and she didn't like it).

But even if you don't like it, it's like 1-3 minutes of your life and you're not going to get hurt. If you don't like it, you can say "okay not I know I don't like it, so I can not do it until maybe someday I will decide to try again and will like it." But it's mind over matter. My sister started crying because we waited in line for about an hour and every five minutes she was saying "I don't like this, I don't want to do this. I'm not going to like this. I don't like coasters that go backwards." If she had just said, "Okay, I'll try it and I'll try to have fun." she probably would have. But she had already decided BEFORE she got on the ride that she wasn't going to like it.

Okay g2g my computer is about to die. Hope that helped.

What I'm trying to say is this: if you're scared, just make yourself do it and you'll probably be glad you did it. I'd say when you get to the park, RUN to Saw and get in line. Tell yourself, "I can do this, It's going to be fun." Make yourself stay in line and get in the seats and strap in. Don't let yourself talk yourself out of doing it until the ride has already started, because then you HAVE to do it. The ride will be over before you know it, and you'll be really glad. Then your classmates will be saying, "how did you do that ride? It looks scary!" and you can tell them how fun it was.

I always do that when I'm in situations where I think I'll be too scared and back out. I never back out of thrill rides and thrill situations because I always force myself to do it because I know I'll be glad I did. I was really scared to go on the sky swing thing at the Hilton, but I got strapped in with my friend and next thing I know they're pulling me up God knows how high. And then I'm up there and they say "Pull the rip cord on three" and I just said "One...two...three!" and pulled it. The first drop was terrifying but then I was having so much fun and it was over too soon. I haven't had the money to do it again, but if I did, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know someday I will go skydiving and probably bungee jumping and I'll go through the same process.

I always think, "how would I feel if I backed out now?" and the feeling of chickening out is always a lot worse than the nervousness of doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't know how I started to love coasters....I used to be scared of them all...I just got braver I suppose

In answer to your question, I like Robb's idea and also the ones outlining a first ride on Saw. If you go in with a "nothing is too scary" attitude you should be ok!

-- Stephen