TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PHOTO TR:Michigans adventure

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how people jump onto the Texas giant rehab every time a wooden coaster gets a little ruff....lol

I agree. It's pretty funny. Next thing you know, people will suggest it for Voyage, El Toro, and maybe even Ghoster Coaster at KD.

But I mean, seriously, how sick would Voyage be with that track on it?

Michigan's Adventure looks a nice park, but it could definitely use some more people! I feel kinda bad that it's so ignored by Cedar Fair, though with the lack of crowds, I'm not surprised.

I think selling the park off to be privately owned would be a win-win for both Cedar Fair and Michigan's Adventure. Cedar Fair would not have to worry about maintaining a park with such low attendance, and the new owners of the park could focus on quality, theming, and originality. The new owners could probably charge lower prices for food and admission as well.

Cedar Fair has been adding to this park on a regular basis. In the last few years they added Thunderhawk, Grand Rapids, Funnel of Fear and Beach Party. They added a sit down restaurant, Coasters, a couple years ago. I wouldn't consider this ignoring the park. Attendance set a record last year and has been growing. This past weekend was just a freak weekend. When we were there 2 years ago, it had decent crowds.

Jim

^ Word.

And on-topic, great report; thanks! It's been forever since I've been to MA and wow, has it changed! Sorry to hear that ShivTim is running a bit rough but it still looks like a million bucks. Loved that coaster back in the day.

I went to some dunes near there last year, up in Hoffmater State Park (I think that was the name). There were some of the best dunes I've ever been to, as you could just slide down some huge ones like you were skiing.

Good TR though, I still need to get to this park. Along with almost every park....

Cedar Fair has been adding to this park on a regular basis. In the last few years they added Thunderhawk, Grand Rapids, Funnel of Fear and Beach Party. They added a sit down restaurant, Coasters, a couple years ago. I wouldn't consider this ignoring the park. Attendance set a record last year and has been growing. This past weekend was just a freak weekend. When we were there 2 years ago, it had decent crowds.

They've added a LOT since Cedar Fair took over the park. Until the 90's, the only coaster there was the Corkscrew. The park has probably doubled in size (at least) since it was originally known as Deer Park Funland from the 1956 until 1988. I grew up about a half hour from the park, so we went there (and Cedar Point) quite a bit when I was a kid. Sadly I haven't been to the park since the mid 90's, but I remember even back in the 80's it was usually quite busy in the summer.

It is common knowledge that Michigan's Adventure has the lowest attendance and revenue in the chain. But don't overlook the probability that it also has the lowest operating expenses. With a short operating season and small sized full time staff I wouldn't be surprised if MIA brought in a very decent profit.

I don't believe a smaller company would be more successful with the park. Cedar Fair is able to order all kinds of things in bulk and a smaller owner would likely have to pay more for all kinds of goods and services since they would be buying on a smaller scale.

The park's new merchandise location appears to be selling Leather Treaty products. If it's anything like the one WOF installed this season, guests will be able to purchase leather bracelets and keychains and have them custom engraved.

I love how people jump onto the Texas giant rehab every time a wooden coaster gets a little ruff....lol

Only because there are some of us who don't like to have to get spinal readjustments after riding a really rough woodie that will also cause the fillings to rattle out of one's mouth!

Only because there are some of us who don't like to have to get spinal readjustments after riding a really rough woodie that will also cause the fillings to rattle out of one's mouth!

But that's what a wooden coaster is.

^Really!?! You believe that wooden roller coasters should sever your spine and give you headaches and bounce the fillings out of your teeth? Really? Come on, I understand the people that 'like' the feeling of a wooden coaster over a steel coaster, but it's just stupid to want to get beat up on a ride and think that's how it should be.

Not to that extent, but wooden coasters are what they are.

The only wooden coaster that I have ever been on that meets that criteria was son of beast. I never go on a wooden coaster expecting it to be intamin smooth.

I never go on a wooden coaster expecting it to be intamin smooth.

I haven't ridden an Intamin wood coaster yet but based on the rave reviews they get it seems they are "spoiling" (and I use that term loosely) riders who seem to expect all wood coasters to be like them.

From what I remember of my rides on Timbers was that it was a great ride and just because it may be a bit rough now doesn't mean it's time to make it a steel coaster with topper track.

I'm not going to write up a full TR so I'll just put this here. I headed up to the park for the first time today and got a few rides on Shivering Timbers in both the front and back. "Wow!" is all I have to say. I was a bit worried after seeing this TR but I was pleasantly surprised. If this was "not as good as it was last year" then I really missed out by not making it up like I wanted to last summer!

Front seat was about as smooth as I can expect a not-brand-new wooden coaster to be. No jackhammering or shuffling, just airtime that's in the same league as El Toro.

The back seat definitely threw you around more, but it wasn't painful or even rough. The way it whipped you over the tops of the hills was insane.

I was with two non-coaster enthusiast friends and they loved the ride, and said it was worth the five and a half hour drive. If that means anything.

Not to that extent, but wooden coasters are what they are.

But again...every woodie is not the same. We all know there are some out there that are just plain painful to ride with SoB probably being everyone's #1 worst coaster of all time. Throw in the likes of Wild Beast at CW & Hurler at KD and those rides were not even close to being fun in my book and actually hurt while riding. We all got off saying, "never again!" I know there are folks on here that like that sort of masochistic pain on coasters and feel that is part of the overall coaster experience, but not me!

Then you get something like Boulder Dash, RF2, Thunderbolt or Phoenix and IMO, that's how wooden roller coasters should ride. Insane speed, air time, some nice G's felt on the turns and helices. I do love wooden coasters and still would like the chance to ride Balder, Cornball Express, Legend and some of the others that seem to get nice reviews. I can say that I am now a bit leery to ride something like Voyage or Hades because a lot of people have said how rough they have gotten over the years. I might be going to Wisconsin Dells in a couple of weeks and am not even sure if I want to try Hades or not.

Sounds like VGplay had a good ride on ST, so I will definitely hold out any further biases of the coaster until I ride it myself. I can't pass on judgement on the ride till I get out there and try it...although I'm still a bit nervous about it!

^^^^^What Elissa said! I love out-of-control woodies as much as the next person, amd in the case of classic coasters from the 20s-40s, I more or less expect it, bring a Vicodin with me, and enjoy the experience as best as I can. As far as the more modern woodies go, if there's an injury/soreness factor, I just smile and wave at it.

MA looks like a neat park, but it seems to me that it either has too many conflicting personalities in its design or the overall personality of the park isnt clearly enough defined. It also seems to have invested in the cloaking device that typefies a lot of Japanese parks. (where does one get one of those, I wonder..)

Scott

• 2 weeks later...