TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lost my first pair of glasses on a roller coaster today

I wear my glasses on everything except for launched coasters and it's always fine; I think I've ridden over 100 different coasters and nothing's ever happened. They have really tight nose grips and are just pretty secure in general. I completely forgot that back in October I got new glasses without the nose grips. At SFGadv, they were fine on Nitro and Skull Mountain, but Batman:TR claimed them as my head bumped around on the zero-g roll. Luckily I had a spare pair of glasses in the car but they were slightly lower in prescription strength.

Obviously, it's completely my fault. I filled out a lost item form and I'm just hoping they'll find them. I know it's a crapshoot with glasses but maybe the fact that mine are semi distinctive (thick black frames without nose grips) will help.

Should I call them in a few days to follow up or is Six Flags generally good at contacting people? The glasses were kind of expensive and I need to replace them soon so I can, well, see properly. I'm just not sure how long to play the waiting game with Six Flags

Definitely learned my lesson though. Just not wearing the glasses at all anymore unless I get the strap for it

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't the glasses (or at least the lenses) be pretty much be toast once they've flung off of a coaster hurtling through at a high speed?

Also as a random note, don't some of the amusement rides (coasters and high-speed rides) have signage stating that all types of glasses should be removed including prescription glasses? Or does Six Flags allow such things to be worn if they're secured? Sorry, don't really mean to be preaching the amusement park rules.

I paid for them to be shatter proof, but I'm not sure exactly how that works since I've never been in a situation that would require that until now.

And I think there were probably signs. The ride ops look right at my face and don't say anything about the glasses so I just leave them unless it's a launched ride or particularly rough. Again, I know it's my fault. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this situation and actually gotten the item back.

I know the part of the ride where they fell off but they could've flown pretty far I guess. When I went to security/lost and found, it seemed like they were pretty successful at finding lost items and the lady working the counter told me they usually find glasses, but since there are so many, it's hard for them to identify the owner. I'm not sure if this is the case if the item was lost during the course of the ride though

Keep in mind, Shatter-proof is not Scratch-proof. Another thing, anything-proof is not very "proof". Let me also say only they Lenses are advertised as Shatterproof, not the frame. The Frame will probably be in bad shape.

I'll be quite honest. I doubt you're going to get your glasses back. Or in any wearable contention. :/

Wouldn't the glasses (or at least the lenses) be pretty much be toast once they've flung off of a coaster hurtling through at a high speed?

Also as a random note, don't some of the amusement rides (coasters and high-speed rides) have signage stating that all types of glasses should be removed including prescription glasses? Or does Six Flags allow such things to be worn if they're secured? Sorry, don't really mean to be preaching the amusement park rules.

Yes the loading spiel for flight deck at cga is this "welcome to flight deck please place all loose articles in the gray bin there is no hats sunglasses prescriptions or flip flops allowed on this ride" of course there are variations of this spiel but that is the foundation.

I've worn my glasses on all sorts of roller coasters and they've never fallen off. I call my glasses "Clark Kent glasses" because they have thick lenses like Clark Kent's pair.

Actually, I wore contacts on Boulderdash at Lake Compounce. The coaster was so intense that it knocked out one of them. I would hate to see what would have happened if I wore glasses.

My daughter lost her glasses on Phoenix at Knoebles last year but we didnt even try to look for them. They kind of floated in the air it seemed once they flew off and then they were gone from sight...LOL...

Also, years ago my cousin lost her glasses on Viper at Six Flags Great Adventure, that thing was rough as hell so I'm not suprised they shook them off

I've never lost my glasses but always where one of those straps on them that I bought from Cedar Point. Handy little thing that strap is.

Although I still remember last summer on my first trip to Knotts I was not allowed, even with my strap, to wear my glasses on Xcellerator. I told the guy that all other rides had no issue and that I've even been on Top Thrill Dragster and he's like "Here we do not allow on any launch coaster, including Pony Express" I replied "that's dumb" to which the ride op said "ya, no kidding"

Sorry, I think you've lost your glasses for good! I'm surprised Batman did that.

I've always worn my glasses on coasters, with no strap, and have never had a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky? I do take them off on rides where they force you to (like Top Thrill Dragster, or practically every coaster at Knott's), but they've stayed put on coasters like New Texas Giant, Millennium Force, Voyage, and even Deja-Vu and Intamin Impulse coasters with vertical holding brakes.

I've never lost my glasses, but I'm pretty paranoid about it. The Racer at KI is pretty much the most intense ride I wear my glasses on, and anything crazier I just take them off. I used to have a strap, but I lost it and decided not to get a new one.

So I just got a call from six flags asking me what brand of glasses I have. I didn't think the brand was on them but I called my glasses provider and apparently it is! I wasn't home when they called so I have to call back tomorrow but it sounds promising!

While I've never lost sunglasses on a coaster, my mom almost did. Her sunglasses flew off on Vortex @ CGA, but luckily, some one in the back row managed to catch them, so that was lucky.

I've never lost my glasses on roller coasters, but I am kind of weird when it comes to wearing them. Some days I wear them, while other days I decide not to.

I've never come close to the entire pair of glasses coming out, but Behemoth last summer almost knocked one of my lenses out after my front seat ride. Needless to say I didn't take my glasses on Behemoth again.

One thing that I always avoid is wearing glasses on launched coasters. I just can't see them holding up on something like Kingda Ka or Storm Runner.

Since buying a strap for my glasses a few years ago, I haven't had any problems on the 250 or so coasters I've been on. ...Including MF, TTD, Storm Runner, El Toro, Voyage, and Boulder Dash to name a few. Heck, the only time I was asked to take them off was on the Boomerang at Wild Adventures.

Before the strap, I just didn't wear them on any coaster.

I would recommend riding in contact lenses (if you have them). I used to ride a few years back without glasses (and I am blind as a bat), you can't really experience the full effect of the coaster, Goliath at SFMM didn't scare me because I couldn't see. I know contacts are quite expensive but they are much cheaper than losing your glasses...

Never lost my sunglasses so far. In german parks you're reminded that they could fly off and if you nevertheless take them onride, as with cams, and they get lost the park wont do anything to reimburse you for the loss or search for them. In fairs no one cares, but whats lost is lost.

I keep my sunglasses always a tight fit and always have another pair in my car, just in case...

Cheap sunglasses? I think I've ejected more of them over the east coast than anything else- the best were the ones that I launched into low earth orbit off of Hypersonic XLC at KD years ago.

As for me: Croaker straps are the best; they're lycra, and they tend to breathe nicely for my needs. As I'm also bald, they tend to stop rubbing/irritation on the ol' noggin along the way, too.