TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dreamworld New Roller Coaster for 2011

Hey guys, I have been a long time lurker on these forums and haven't posted too much. Dreamworld on the Gold Coast in Australia, which you know TPR recently visited, has announced that they will be acquiring a thrill ride for the September school holidays. Construction has "sort of" started with areas being fenced off and a little bit of landscaping etc. Some containers have arrived believed to be containing roller coaster track.

Onto the reason for this post, structural supports have appeared in the fenced off area... Now I'm not an expert at coaster supports/or structural supports but would anyone be able to tell me if these are roller coaster supports, if so what manufacturer or if they are simply just structural supports for a building or something? Thanks for the help guys!

:EDIT: Forgot to mention they will be receiving a Disk 'O' coaster in June, if these are supports for that then let me know!

Photos are taken by aussienetman from parkz.com.au

Edited by Schibbles

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^My guess is it would be for the new disk-o coming in June/July. In the second photo on the left that piece looks like the track for the disk-o.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm I'm wrong and it's an Intamin hyper (dream on - pun intended).

^My guess is it would be for the new disk-o coming in June/July. In the second photo on the left that piece looks like the track for the disk-o.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm I'm wrong and it's an Intamin hyper (dream on - pun intended).

That Intamin hyper and B&M stand up await us... (drool) Seriously though thanks for bringing up the Disk o! I've edited the post to make note of it.

Was wondering when the Disk-O was going to be mentioned on here. Bet Aussie World aren't too impressed now that their somewhat unique attraction isn't anymore. Wonder how many locals yet to venture to Aussie World have put it off now to ride the one at Dreamworld. I know that for now I am one.

^Nice pick up.

Let the speculation begin...

The cynic in me says that it will be a spinning mouse like Sonic's Spinball at Alton, I take that back, they're atually pretty good rides. A standard standard Wild Maus would be disappointing. Maybe an x-car, but I can't see them doing one of the bigger ones by September. Oh well, wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the park today. Took a fair few photos but thought I would share the ones of interest with you guys first! The Disk-o "Coaster" is complete as far as track work goes. Two weeks until it opens.

The next interesting thing was what is sitting in the carpark. Think it is safe to say we are getting a new coaster. Looking at the concrete footprint from the drop it seems to be a standard Skyloop. There are only footings poured for a standard layout and nothing custom at this stage.

diskotpr.thumb.jpg.6520fa5bfced887dfb508fd24c713c92.jpg

Track work all done!

tracktpr.thumb.jpg.df8155f22c5e559ad5afbe46ee611bd2.jpg

What's this I see?

I would love to see Australia get two big roller coasters and maybe two smaller ones within the next three years so we can do another TPR Trip down there! It was a great trip, really fun parks and KT is BEGGING to go back!

Dreamworld needs a high capacity coaster that's a decent length. I don't know how long normal Maurer coasters ride times are, but this looks like a great move. Their waterpark is already bad ass, they have amazing flats and a nice little average coaster collection...they need a quality ride to compete with Movie World

I was just at the park the other day and I saw the track from the drop ride... I assumed it was for the disk-o. Typical of me to go to a park before they build a new ride (happened with Cheetah Hunt too).

^That's very true. The main problem with Dreamworld was how slow they operated the coasters based on their ride length. I was waiting for around half an hour to ride the motocoaster and the line started in the station. I think the Movie World thing is also important, I enjoyed Movie World a lot more just based on a couple rides of theirs (Superman, Scooby-doo, and the log flume). Dreamworld didn't have much to offer me other than an awesome drop tower. Also they brought a (real!) tiger out to chill in the queue line for the log flume. Seriously, wouldn't see that in America.

Movieworld are due to open a new coaster on boxing day 2012, going by the story in one of the papers a couple of weeks ago. It will be something larger and longer than Superman.

Must've missed this. Got a link, or a scan?

In other news, there was a story about Maurer Sohneon German TV, and towards the end is a shot of an X-Car with the Dreamworld logo:

http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3256

• 4 weeks later...

Looks to be just a standard Skyloop XT 150. As for a name it was revealed over the weekend the parent company of the park (Ardent Leisure) have taken a trademark out for the name "Buzzsaw" and the CEO for Dreamworld mentioning it on his LinkedIn profile by Parkz.

The ride's main tower (with the vertical lift) is now completed with construction apparently ahead of time. It won't please the enthusiasts (seeing as it is only an XT150 by the looks of it), but it'll probably be enough for the general public if it's themed well.

I'll get a photo on Saturday and upload it. I'm excited for it (I've never ridden a Skyloop).

• 8 months later...

Didn't really want to start a new thread for DW here, but I thought it might be worth mentioning that Dreamworks (since Shrek left MW) has gone to DW. Nickelodeon has now left DW and gone to SW and Nick Central is being turned into 3 themed areas. 1. Shrek, 2. Madagascar, 3. Kung-Fu Panda.

They are advertising to open this weekend but they have had some really bad weather lately and look behind. I don't live there so I can't get photos but Parkz have put some photos of the progress on their site and Outsiders Australia have put the most recent update on their Facebook page to show the areas progress and from the photos it really does look good at the moment!