TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Really Detailed Review of The New Texas Giant

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I agree that the lap bars were pushed down tight...but here's the reality of the situation... I'd much rather have a tight lap bar on an AWESOME ride than a ride that has been trimmed or modified due to someone doing something stupid.

My lap bar was down really tight on every single ride...and my rides were still awesome!

Considering the insane (but fun as hell) ejector air, I was rather grateful that the lap bars were down tight. My first ride shocked the hell out of me (in a good way). I can understand why they put seatbelts on Shockwave, too.

Re: Stapling - I think the problem was the majority of us were being punished for the stupid actions of a tiny few. Being one of the 'smaller' sized riders, it was hurting they were pushing the bar down so far.

Someone asked me about the trains. First off, they were extremely comfortable which was great. There were however two negatives. That circle thing on the lapbar didn't work well for me. I don't know if it was meant to hold on to or what, but it just was awkward. Second problem (and not a problem of the trains themselves, just the idiot clientel) was that the plexiglass shield things were already disgusting. Stuff had been carved into some of them, they were all dirty and gross, it was a bummer.

There was really only one crew member that I had problems with when it came to stapling. He got me really bad! Painfully bad! You definitely need the bar tight, but that was just a bit ridiculous. I stayed on the opposite side of the train from him for the rest of my rides. The rest of the ops were a little more gentle on my fat gut. Snug, but not ridiculously so.

Well we all knew it was a matter of time before the shields got screwed up the moment we saw the trains had them, I am a bit surprised it happened this quickly though

Scott 'damn heathens destroying things that are not theirs to destroy" Brown

Second problem (and not a problem of the trains themselves, just the idiot clientel) was that the plexiglass shield things were already disgusting. Stuff had been carved into some of them, they were all dirty and gross, it was a bummer.

Regarding Elissa's plexiglass shields. I ride with my arms up, and several times on the over-banked turns my elbows were stopped by it from being snapped off by "things" we flew past. Personally I'm glad they were there, but yes they were gross already.

^I think you could do it. I didn't find it at all 'intense' like people are saying. There weren't very many positive g forces or any rough or vibrating spots. It just has a ton of ejector airtime.

I can't tell if the ride ops have been intentionally stapling or if they're just having a hell of a time pushing down the hydraulic lap bars so they compensate and push a lot harder, which can sometimes result in a stapling.

Either way, it's good for safety to have a snug lap bar and I don't think it detracts from the ride's airtime one bit. I'm also eager to ride it this summer when it gets scorching hot and the trains really start flying.

I also detest the people vandalizing rides. I recall back when I operated Titan a certain group of kids came back from a ride, Sharpie in hand, writing on the train. They did not like it when I kept their lapbars locked until security arrived.

Edited by BrandonR

^I think you could do it. I didn't find it at all 'intense' like people are saying. There weren't very many positive g forces or any rough or vibrating spots. It just has a ton of ejector airtime.

That sounds perfectly fine, I figured as much from the various reports and POV - not too much 'twisty', loads of airtime - but thanks for supporting my assumption. Can't wait to actually ride it some time.

I can't tell if the ride ops have been intentionally stapling or if they're just having a hell of a time pushing down the hydraulic lap bars so they compensate and push a lot harder, which can sometimes result in a stapling.

Either way, it's good for safety to have a snug lap bar and I don't think it detracts from the ride's airtime one bit. I'm also eager to ride it this summer when it gets scorching hot and the trains really start flying.

I also detest the people vandalizing rides. I recall back when I operated Titan a certain group of kids came back from a ride, Sharpie in hand, writing on the train. They did not like it when I kept their lapbars locked until security arrived.

wow thats classic.. i like it.

as I have said before, I think it was mainly because night ERT was being operated by supervisors whose job it is to follow park policy to a key. SFOT just needs to find some common ground between stapling to the point of discomfort and safety.

Elissa....awesome review!

As to the stapling: out of the 21 rides I got that day (thank you TPR), i was only staples twice, and it was by the same ride op. But hey at least he was consistent. Even when i was not stapled I was grateful for the firm grip of the restraints. It did NOT detract from the ride one bit. On another note, for me the first drop of NTAG has replaced Titan as the most enjoyable first drop on a coaster.

Thank you again Robb and Elissa for an incredible day!

I hate to just say something negative and run, but I don't have time for the detailed post. This event was amazing and I can honestly say the only critism I have is so very minor, a spec of dirt on a great big bright clean sheet of fun. I was riding mostly on the right side of the train for night time ERT and I thought the op was being really rough, but I chalked it up to me being a bigger person and needing the bar to go down a bit more. Then my eight year old switched sides with me and he did it to her and left some pretty good red marks on her legs and she was hurting. I switched back with her and just dealt with it, the ride was so awesome I didnt care.

Hope I have time to post a little trip report later, it was an amazing day, had some funny hiccups (like being on the phone with magic mountain management for an hour). Robb I hope that ticket didnt come from your pocket $ because that was so magic mountains fault.

God, I feel so lucky to live right down the highway from this awesome ride!!!! I have my season pass and I'll be riding NTAG all season long!!! This ride is just so awesome!! In fact, I'll be back out at the park on Wednesday for more NTAG fun!!

NTAG was definitely a kick a$$ coaster and has secured a spot in my top 10! The night ERT rides were so amazing! I agree that the male ride-op was securing the lap bars a little harshly, but overall I didn't have a problem with the stapling. Even stapled I was still experiencing the ejector air quite strongly! I can't even begin to imagine this ride with a loose restraint. Everything about the ride was great. Amazingly steep and air-filled first drop, loved the over-banks, and great ejector air. I think this weekend was my first experience with true "ejector" style air.

Overall I think NTAG is a solid, fun attraction and I really hope that this concept catches on for some of the older/abusive giant wooden coasters.

Hahaha... I saw this posted on Facebook today when I was at work and waited all day to come home and designate some time to read "Elissa's Really Detailed Review of The New Texas Giant". I was fooled!

Anyway, I can't wait to get down there and ride this thing. I'm gonna try to hold off 'till they doctor up Rattler though.

Someone asked me about the trains. First off, they were extremely comfortable which was great. There were however two negatives. That circle thing on the lapbar didn't work well for me. I don't know if it was meant to hold on to or what, but it just was awkward. Second problem (and not a problem of the trains themselves, just the idiot clientel) was that the plexiglass shield things were already disgusting. Stuff had been carved into some of them, they were all dirty and gross, it was a bummer.

I was confused with the circle thing too. You really couldn't hang onto it, but then again there was no need to hang onto anything during the ride. I had my arms up the whole entire time. I am pretty sure that's why I have a scar on my elbow now. I must have hit the shield thing. I better get that checked out since the shields were so gross looking. As for being stapled in, it hurt at first but by the time the train left the station I was fine. The seats are really comfortable and I still got lots of ejector airtime.

I feel embarrassed I'm not riding it right now.

Well I'd rather be riding it right now than at work. Hey, anyone up for another trip to Texas?

I was confused with the circle thing too. You really couldn't hang onto it, but then again there was no need to hang onto anything during the ride. I had my arms up the whole entire time. I am pretty sure that's why I have a scar on my elbow now. I must have hit the shield thing. I better get that checked out since the shields were so gross looking. As for being stapled in, it hurt at first but by the time the train left the station I was fine. The seats are really comfortable and I still got lots of ejector airtime.

Being a Texas coaster and all, I think that was supposed to be like a saddle horn. That's what it came across as to me. On my second to last ride of the night, I was just so wore out that I didn't feel like putting my hands up on the ride, so I held onto the thing and it was effective for me.

Maybe it would work better if you held onto it with one hand and threw the other hand up in the air yelling "yeeeehaw!" for the entire ride??