TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Majestic Lake: a timeline park foretold from the envisionists that created it.

450380749_THestart.png.f97fe5b9711df45c5ac1fdfb11627360.png

In 1946, Chicagoans Hugo and Mary Herschend vacationed in the Ozarks and discovered the cave now called Marvel Cave because of its alluring beauty. They loved the cave, which was run by Lynch's daughters. When the Lynch sisters decided to retire, they offered the Herschends a 99-year lease on Marvel Cave. Hugo, a Danish immigrant whose world traveling had separated him from his family in Denmark and whose sales work at times kept him away from home in Chicago, was looking for a family business where he could work together with his wife and sons. In April 1950, Hugo and Mary , took over the management and tours of the cave. That summer, Marvel Cave drew 8,000 visitors.

After making improvements to make cave access easier, the Herschends brainstormed above-ground improvements, such as creating a pleasant area for people waiting to go into the cave. The idea of recreating the 1880s mining town was born.

Hugo Herschend was kind enough to show us one concept picture of the newly leased land: concept.png.fe23505cb7f98a3808a5589ee791c39b.png

The Majestic Railroad will take it's passengers on a mile long ride through the back forests of the dense historical Ozark culture that this new regional park envisions it to be. There are rumors, however, of more then just a few select rides. When asked on what other attractions to expect by opening day, 1966, Herschend chuckled and nearly said "just wait, and you'll see."

Edited by djbrcace1234

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid Spring, 1966.

81424257_MarvelMineTrain.png.64d93874f304cdc69895f2329d7f7c0b.png

Manufactured by Arrow Dynamics, which has been providing log flumes, turnpikes, dark rides, and other more “appropriate” attractions to theme parks, the “Marvel Mine Train” represents a new genre of roller coasters. With track consisting of tubular steel, the ride eschewed large drops in favor of a twisting layout, moderate drops, multiple lift hills, and high capacity operations. Although testing of the coaster has begun, the coaster will be heavily disguised, being placed away from the midway, hidden by themed buildings, and featuring trains resembling ore cars. The focus was on a complete ride experience: ground-hugging track to heighten the sense of speed, tunnels, and a trip through a frontier hotel complete with animated characters. It was truly a family ride in every sense of the word. “All we played to was the family. We had just one message: clean, wholesome family entertainment,” recalls Larry Mitchell, Majestic Lakes head construction supervisor. This Roller coaster brings a first to the industry and to Arrow Dynamics, and that is the first mine train coaster to be ever created. To accommodate the roller coaster, several more flat rides will be introduced to keep travelers to the Marvel caves occupied, and make their stay a memorable one. The park is still planed to open July 4th, 1966. We'll see you there!

That screen is f***ing beautiful! I find it amazing how far you have come since the original ML. Not that you were never great, but because you have just gotten so much better.

Edit: The article is excellent as well, I have a feeling this will be amazing when it is finished. You will finish it right?

Most of the area around Marvel Mine Train is near completion, though, the only items missing now are only the supporting flat rides for this area. Remember, folks, that July 4th, 1966 is the scheduled date for the grand opening; we hope to see you there!

SCR9.jpg.0c9daa3ffa87235398c6730040a4893b.jpg

--Larry Mitchell

Edit: The picture has been updated to accommodate the criticism, and please, I would very much like criticism throughout this project--I don't rub it off and ignore it.

Edited by djbrcace1234

This is coming along quite nicely DJ. A few things i would suggest is to attempt and break up the path a bit using a few textures. The food hut looks great, however i might bring the queues back to the pilars and create a counter for food pick up 1 block in and keep the condiment station on the side like you already have.

My only suggestion is that although the combination of ride and foliage looks good. I'd advice to add some buildings to the lift hill.

There seems to be lots and lots of path though.

And about the inverted ride you wanted to do for me. Please send me a screen of the rough draft layout since there are many people who want to volunteer for it.

My only suggestion is that although the combination of ride and foliage looks good. I'd advice to add some buildings to the lift hill.

There seems to be lots and lots of path though.

Buildings? To the lift hill? I think it's fine. Although I do agree the path needs some more planters.

A look into the future:

storm.png.44b4f2fd577fc125f69ce7c96343141e.png

Towering over the dense forest landscape lurks a beast--one that lives in the darkest clouds of the sky. Climb aborad the Storm Rider, opening summer of 1992. Only at Majestic Lake--America's old time park!

Edited by djbrcace1234