TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

^So, it wasn't all that funny. But you're also reaching to be offended about a hypothetical situation 100 years from now. And it was frankly an absurd question to begin with. Of course there's a reasonable way to demolish a building if it can be constructed in the first place.

Umm, I wasn't the one who made the joke about the mass murder of 3,000 people, now was I?

As for the demolition of the tower:

As of (Right now at least) the tallest high rise building (NOT structural towers such as radio towers, etc.) to be demolished was just over 440 feet- and that was the Dunes Tower, Las Vegas, NV. However, removing skyscrapers in an urban setting is a place where implosions will be nearly impossible without probable and expected damage to all surrounding structures. Buildings (especially high-rise structures) are designed to be BUILT and not REMOVED.

High rises/Skyscrapers themselves are not designed for effiient removal- despite the general views shown on TV's multitude of programs on high-rise demolition- each one presents a different problem. But when you get to a vertical height over 500 feet, you have a secondary problem: Acceleration of mass of objects- that is, the falling of the material the building was made from will accelerate to a dangerous speed.

Look, for example. of what happened on 9/11- from a scientific standpoint. 19 high-rises were damaged (beyond the Twin Towers) due to debris.

Now make those towers higher. And of more mass. Removal of them, without significant technological advance- or destruction of other structures surrounding- is impossible.

Thus my original statement is correct.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the building will/would more than likely outlast humans in the long run, if it were to need to be demolished for whatever reason, it wouldn't be imploded due to the reasons you stated. It would have to be taken apart, Deutsche Bank style next to the World Trade Center. It would be highly impractical, but so would designing a mile tall tower needing to be demolished in 100 years.

Umm, I wasn't the one who made the joke about the mass murder of 3,000 people, now was I?

As I alluded to before, my comments were directed at the Saudis. You're not the only one still angry about 9/11. If you think I was joking about 9/11 specifically, you're wrong.

its ok, I had the same exact thought (except my answer would have just been "a plane"). In fact, if he was offended, he only has himself to blame since he propositioned the question!

Good thing nothing bad has ever been financed by ridiculous Saudi construction projects.

Best of luck to the project, though, could you guys put it in a more scenic location? I want to be able to see more than sand from the observation deck

Best of luck to the project, though, could you guys put it in a more scenic location? I want to be able to see more than sand from the observation deck

Well, it will be on the Red Sea, so you'll be able to see across to Egypt and Sudan. It's not too much, but when you're in the middle of a desert, your options are kind of limited.