TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

I wish anyone luck who tries to rebuild this property but you pretty much have everything going against you and this sounds like a Wild West World outcome. Whats the draw?

Problem is people usually do not go to New Orleans for a theme park and the local economy is to weak to support such an operation, and that was before the storm.

Honestly that location needs to be leveled.

Reality is its going to happen eventually.

PS. Hurricanes are not planned, they can, do, and will happen whenever. For example when the hurricane was about to hit New Orleans people then also thought it was not going to happen. Best to plan for always and not think to much, especially since the storm that took out New Orleans was not even close to being one of the biggest in pure power.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we have a much greater chance of seeing the ACE Coaster Museum open before SFNO gets rebuilt.

And it's not hard to get incorporated. That's hardly the sign of a legitimate business.

dt

I totally agree with you. I have been to SFNO and I did not care for it at all. As long as they salvaged Batman (thank heavens they did) I am fine with never seeing this park open again.

--CC216

I drove by on the way to the zoo while I was visiting some family down south. The park looked untouched. I could see the boomerang and S&S towers along with the Mega Zeph. It's so wierd seeing abandoned parks. I'm hoping that they will keep the Mega Zeph if they open a new park as I never got to ride it

New Orleans never had a population of 700,000. As of late 2007, estimates put the NOLA population at around 260,000, which is slightly more than half its pre-Katrina population. Metropolitan area population does not equal city population.

The reason people on this site are skeptical about this project is partly because the project seems ridiculously ambitious and amateurish and partly because it makes little business sense to rebuild a park that had already failed once, was not thriving under new ownership, and was ultimately ruined by flooding, which would always be a realistic threat, considering the park's location.

No one here is saying this project isn't real. They're just expressing healthy skepticism that it will actually happen. Keep in mind that we've seen parks owned by major chains situated near much larger metropolitan areas close down in the last few years. To invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a non-destination amusement park in a city that is still in recovery might not be a wise or successful decision. Try not to take that personally.

You're joking, right?

Well, no. We haven't had a single tropical "disturbance" since August 29. 2005. No tropical storms, no hurricanes, nada. This summer has been completely dead, and I'm fearing for all of the new out-of-towners who have come in to work as contractors/whatever. They don't know the routine like the locals do, and when something DOES come, they're in for an experience. I'm not saying New Orleans is now 100% hurricane-proof because we got boned by the worst of the worst, I'm saying that I see a trend of NOTHING COMING. I don't think the 16-year-old from Tennessee should tell me about my climate.

I know just as much about New Orleans as I do Memphis, buddy. I also know that predicting the weather is impossible.

I'm making a tribute documentary about Katrina, and I will agree that alot of people do believe that the city is in a disaster state. But that's aside from the fact. I hope SSA proves me wrong. I want this park to reopen - I know I'll be there next summer if it reopens.

Well, no. We haven't had a single tropical "disturbance" since August 29. 2005. No tropical storms, no hurricanes, nada. This summer has been completely dead,

To me that would be a sign that a big storm was likely in the near future. Just means the area is over due for a storm.

Kind of like California. The fact that a major quake hasn't hit in some time doesn't mean that they're in the clear. Quite the opposite, every year that goes by, it become more of a risk that another major quake is going to hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Danny / SSA are very serious about pulling it off. You do have to admire his spirit. Problem is it will take a really stupid investor to throw money at this project and generally investors are not stupid. You don't get rich making bad investments.

It might happen, who knows, but VERY unlikely.

On a side note it was mentioned not everyone could do what is already been done. There is a little truth to that, because he probably has spent a few thousand dollars on artwork, the website, incorporating, etc. So I would say not everyone can do it without a few thousand bucks to play with. As far as the SF's talks go it is not really secret. I have seen the proof document that states SF's is talking with Danny about options. There is no silence disclosure on the contract unless the copy released to potential investors is different than the one this silence promise is on.

I do wish you good luck but I am afraid soon it will be like SFAW.

Actually better than AW, at least the city wants to put something on the land, unlike AW land which to this day is a big empty field.

Hey if anybody's interested I just released my tribute documentary about Hurricane Katrina. It's half rollercoaster tycoon 3 and half real-life. The MegaZeph at Six Flags New Orleans is featured in the movie.

TPR Forum Thread: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41908

While I was filming it I got some opinions from residents about the possible re-opening. Everybody I talked to had heard about it and was 100% for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was doing a lot of Googling about Six Flags New Orleans and I find the entire park very captivating at the moment.

I really really really want to see pictures of how it looks inside. I have a strange interest in abandoned theme parks.

Does anybody have anything besides what is posted in this thread?

Well, no. We haven't had a single tropical "disturbance" since August 29. 2005. No tropical storms, no hurricanes, nada. This summer has been completely dead,

To me that would be a sign that a big storm was likely in the near future. Just means the area is over due for a storm.

Kind of like California. The fact that a major quake hasn't hit in some time doesn't mean that they're in the clear. Quite the opposite, every year that goes by, it become more of a risk that another major quake is going to hit.

With an earthquake you're actually right because tension has time to increase... with a hurricane it's just random chance. You're not "due" for a hurricane. That's completely idiotic.

With an earthquake you're actually right because tension has time to increase... with a hurricane it's just random chance. You're not "due" for a hurricane. That's completely idiotic.

It's not idiotic.

Sure, it's random chance. But it has to happen eventually, so the longer you go without one, the odds go up.

The probability remains the same every year whether there is a hurricane or not. The only thing that would change it is a strong climate, current or weather pattern shift. There is no such thing as being "due" unless you are removing the other options as they are selected (or in this case hit by hurricanes). With weather, you're not doing that.

What do you know, New Orleans officials are preparing for a Hurricane. They are already preparing to bring in 3k national guard and possibly evacuate the whole city! The Saints are supposedly coming to practice in Indianapolis if they have to evacuate. The Saints might not even get to play a game in the regular season if the storm hits the city as hard as Katrina.

What do you know, New Orleans officials are preparing for a Hurricane. They are already preparing to bring in 3k national guard and possibly evacuate the whole city! The Saints are supposedly coming to practice in Indianapolis if they have to evacuate. The Saints might not even get to play a game in the regular season if the storm hits the city as hard as Katrina.

You got a problem?

It's better to be more prepared this go around if anything happens. We all saw what happened last time, and don't want to make that mistake again should the same situation happen. As of now, it's tracking to the western part of the state, and hopefully that doesn't change.

As crazy as that sounds, LSU is still scheduled to play in Baton Rouge Saturday night.

Gustav is scaring me more than Katrina ever could. This is serious, and way too creepy for me to ignore it...not like I have the choice.

I can see it now..."Danny Rogers has slightly modified his plans due to the slowly-approaching Hurricane Gustav. He has abandoned the amusement/thrill aspect of the park and is now focusing on all-around WATER RIDES."

I'd hate that.

Good luck, Danny!

If Southern Star Amusements still plans on reconstructing the park after this storm, I'd be really suprised. A lot of the park's rides and coasters have been sitting uncared for for 3 years. Mega Zyph could be in big danger for it's height and it's age. It withstood Katrina and hasn't been maintained since. The supports are probably rusting and it may collapse.

At this point, SFNO's future is as dim as Astroworld's, execpt it will be a marsh.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess they weren't able to make it work after all

From http://www.southernstaramusement.com/

Friends and Families of the Gulf Coast,

It has been a busy ten months as we have worked to revive the former Six Flags New Orleans property. After working very diligently, we have reached a point in this project where we are no longer able to pursue reopening this park. We cannot comment as to any situations that have or may have impacted our decision. We remain committed to pursuing opportunities along the Gulf Coast and have not given up on our plans on establishing a park here. We look forward to releasing information in the near future on our future growth.

Warmest Regards,

Christopher Sweeney

Vice President

Southern Star Amusement

Hopefully they'll be able to build a new park (hah, not with this economy) somewhere in a better location.

Goodbye, SFNO.

Goodbye, awesome-though-slightly-painful CCI woodie.

Goodbye, only Vekoma Hurricane in America.

Goodbye, tourism revenue.

Hello, Disney-knock-off sports center!

Surprise, surprise.

Friends and Families of the Gulf Coast,

It has been a busy ten months as we have worked to revive the former Six Flags New Orleans property. After working very diligently, we have reached a point in this project where we are no longer able to pursue reopening this park. We cannot comment as to any situations that have or may have impacted our decision. We remain committed to pursuing opportunities along the Gulf Coast and have not given up on our plans on establishing a park here. We look forward to releasing information in the near future on our future growth.

Warmest Regards,

Christopher Sweeney

Vice President

Southern Star Amusement

The above statement is as bogus as the company has shown they are over the last few months. *(See below)

Out of mere curiosity, why wouldn't the CEO, "Danny Rogers" issue this statement?

The bottom line is, they (the collective group known as "Southern Star Amusement", apparently they've also now forgotten that they were INCORPORATED!) couldn't dupe anyone into believing their trite crap.

They were ("are" would be giving them the absolute benefit of the doubt, something of which I will not do) hucksters. They were trying to broker a deal that no intelligent person could buy into. They tried a lame media ploy by doing a radio show, tried to get a city councilman on their side (who in the radio interview, expressed his own doubts about SSA Inc.), made all sorts of unsubstantiated claims - ALL under the cloak of (IMO) a fictitious "Non Disclosure Agreement".

They have no credibility, or credentials to back ANY of their claims. Never had, probably never will.

I seriously hope that this is the last we hear from them.

JJ

*BTW - Go to their website and click on their "Official Press Release". Better yet, let me copy and paste it for you:

SOUTHERN STAR AMUSEMENT SUSPENDS NEW ORLEANS PROJECT

On Friday, September 12 2008, Southern Star Amusement formally suspended all operations in the New Orleans area.

No further details are available at this time.

###

After reading that, has anyone else read into it and read it like this:

"We are bogus. We've been found out and run out of town". Just wondering.

Better yet, take a LOOK at their website here.

You will find (as I did) that the links to the following pages have been deleted or are disabled:

Vendors

Media

About Us (disabled link)

Privacy Policy

Terms of Use

And let us not forget the all important:

Contact Us

Ironically enough, their "Jobs" link still works.

Yes, there is a phone # contact, but why waste your time.

If an old fart like me can see through this, like I have from the beginning, ANY intelligent investor could see the same thing.

Good riddance!