TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I would like to thank Adam for his diligence in keeping up with a majority of all news articles posted here on TPR (not just this SSA/SFNO diatribe). I imagine that it's quite time consuming, and can be a bit monotonous at times.

So.... again, Thank you Adam!

Now, onto the running joke that is "Southern Star Amusements, Inc.", and its' delusional leader, Danny Rogers.

.... But I will tell you the truth its almost to late.

Once again, his command of the English language is.... TERRIBLE!!! (For those that do not know, the word should be "too", not "to".

Again, I will reiterate, WHY is he posting info to a "fansite" and really nowhere else. I have NOTHING against the website, as they do have a love and passion for the park that was once there. That's fine.

But, when "Danny" wants to make any kind of appeal, he states his desires and whims to a website that has only 338 members. Not exactly a good way to spread the word, if you ask me.

Do I still hold hope that a way can be found to save the park YES! But it would take the City to just turn it over now with no conditions (other then us rebuilding it) and the city just lease it to us for a Dollar per paid admission with no less then a 50 year lease.

I couldn't find exact attendance figures for SFNO in the years 2003-2005, but they were never in the top 25 of attendance figures in the USA. (source) However I did find an interesting article by the "The Times-Picayune" in New Orleans (that somehow hasn't surfaced in this thread until now).

That article can be found here.

An interesting quote from that article:

Jazzland's attendance dropped 40 percent in its second season to 600,000 guests, while that of other regional theme parks climbed. Jazzland had been projected to draw 1 million people a year.

For the sake of argument, let's be generous and say that, under SF management, they hit the 1 million mark (unlikely, but I bet Shane could shed some light here), for the years 2003-2005. Let's also say that the new park would draw as many people (HIGHLY unlikely).

Under Danny Rogers proposed plan, the turnstile revenue would generate 1 million dollars in lease payments to the city of New Orleans. That's not bad. BUT, first you have to have the capital to open the park to get anywhere near those attendance figures.

If the City would do that I think we could raise the money to rebuild it.

Anyone remember back last November (2009. Just to remind people how long Mr. Rogers has dragged out this impossible dream.) when SSA and/or Danny Rogers couldn't even raise $500,000 for the GO-Zone bonds to get this project off the ground??

It's NOT going to happen!!!

Another amazing quote (with quite a bit of insight, I might add) from the "The Times-Picayune" article:

Here's the set-up:

"It's a very difficult market in which to operate a theme park. I say that based on the history and not just a gut feeling," said Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, a Cincinnati firm. Speigel, who studied the park as both Jazzland and Six Flags, says he is watching closely this time around, too."

But, here is the awesome punch-line:

"It was an ill-conceived concept in the wrong location and it just should not have been built. It's just one of those things you ought to bury it and let it go."

Wow. And I thought I was alone in my thinking!!

JJ

One day many months ago Councilman Arnie Fielkow came to the coffee house I barista at. I took a second to go clean the condiment bar after making some drinks and introduced myself. Eventually, I brought up SFNO and what he thought about Mr. Rogers (since Fielkow is one of the politicians that would be giving this project a GO) and he kind of laughed and shook his head and said something along the lines of, "He's serious about what he wants to do, he just can't get things together in the funding department." Now I believe that sir Rogers is kind of screwy.

"It was an ill-conceived concept in the wrong location and it just should not have been built. It's just one of those things you ought to bury it and let it go."

Yes. From what I remember (I read about the history of the park once or twice) the whole thing was done as a political move to bring people into the city and get one of the people higher on the food chain--I think he built it back then?--some more dough for he and his family. It tanked, switched to PARC Management, tanked, got bought out by SFI, and was then pulverized by the worst natural disaster our country has ever dealt with. That said, the area still hasn't come back. This gives even less reason to rebuild.

Because if the park kept tanking with a full population around it, WHY WOULD IT SURVIVE WHEN NOBODY LIVES THERE ANYMORE?

http://unofficialjazzlandinfo.yuku.com/topic/1962/t/Latest-updates-on-the-park-formerly-known-as-SFNO.html

I talked with the City and full time security should be in place very soon. For now the NOPD is increasing there efforts to keep an eye on the park. If you see some one in the park and you dont think they should be there call NOPD and report it.

Thanks

Danny

SSAI

Thanks for the update Danny!

Also something to think about: If Freestyle Music is struggling to survive, and they are a fully functional park, not one that would have to be brought back from the dead like SFNO would, and it can't even get funding then I can't see someone in this economy wanting to fund SFNO.

And as so well spoken above, if the park was failing when New Orleans was at its peak, then how in the world can it survive now?

http://unofficialjazzlandinfo.yuku.com/topic/1641/t/Ideas-and-Sugestions-to-save-the-park-No-debate-just-Ideas.html?page=2

Ok so lets look at what we have here as it stands right now the city (Tax Payers) are on the hook for a HUD loan for the park in the amount of between 13.5 and 15 million dollars. (Not sure what payments were made) and the land is worth no more then 8 Million Top and thats pushing it. The cost to rebuild the park in basic form with a small water park now stands at around 60 million but maybe as low as 45 million in the right hands using every trick in the book to keep cost down and doing it SAFE! This would give the city a basic park that could grow over time. The trick is to get investors to invest in the park and the truth is investors don't trust the city to keep it's word! We can all thank our X-Mayor for that. Add to the problem no one seems to be in charge with some people going on about show me the money and BS like that. Every one has good ideas as long as some one else pays for them and by that I am talking about you the Tax Payer.

Ok then we can go over this time and again but it's getting us no where fast, the past is just that the past and I think we need to move on.

Toon you ask if I had a plan, the short answer is yes, will it work who knows but it's my last try and if we cant get it to work then the park will be lost forever I think. To make this idea work it is going to require the Mayor and the City Council to agree, as well as the City Attorney and the IDB Board. It will also require public support, short answer is every one must be on the same page for a change and no one can have there hands out looking for a back room deal!

And for the record as of now no one has ask for a back room deal. The City so far is acting in the open and that's what I like you am looking for.

To be fair the new Mayor has not had the time to look at this idea as he has his hands full with other pressing issues, the same is true of City Council so on. However we have requested meeting with the Mayor and I have calls into Councillman Fielkow and Johnson to start the ball rolling and hope to address the full Council very soon.

The basic idea:

The City would lease the park to Southern Star Amusement Inc. (SSAI) long term.

SSAI would have up to 2 years to reopen the park.

SSAI would secure and keep the park clean of weeds so on.

SSAI would seek investors, backers and sponcers. and could go public for funding if needed. (not tax money)

SSAI would rebuild the park and reopen it no later then summer 2012

The City would be paid from gate revenue of the park. So mush per paid admission.

The City would have safe guards in place to over see that SSAI followed the lease terms

City Council and the Mayors office would be kept up to date on all operations at the park.

The City would have over sight of the books to be sure that all funds were used as expected and required.

SSAI would use local labor and vendors where ever possible.

SSAI would hold events at the site (parking lot) to help rase funds and show progress to the public.

SSAI would allow press coverage within the park to keep the public up to date.

SSAI would seek help in placing ball fields and other public recreation areas in unused spaces, Much like Councillman Fielkow was seeking, with out using public money.

There would be a far more complex lease then what I have listed above, how ever I feel this idea is the best way to move forward and the best chance the park has to recover. All of this would be open to the public no back room deals.

Toon I do have one last thing to say and please take this to hart, I have done my very best to save the park and have given every thing I have to it. Not just talk but real action, real hard earned money, and more real working time (hundreds of hours) then any one else I know. My team has worked harder then you will ever know to try and make this happen. I have always told the truth we are not rich and we always understood that it would take investors to make this happen. This is still the truth, why do you think we wanted to go for the GO ZONE BONDS if the X-Mayor had kept his word we would already be rebuilding if not already open. I had found an investor for the half million needed but the Mayor did not turn the park over to us there for I could not take the money. Its just that simple. The only way the park is going to be saved is if the City turns it over so investors can see that this project is real.

Thanks

Every One for your Support.

Danny

SSAI

I think for me, this about sums it up:

The City would be paid from gate revenue of the park. So mush per paid admission.

I'm pretty sure the swampland that is Six Flags New Orleans has plenty of mush, but if Danny Rogers wants to bring in more, more power to him!

Edited by jedimaster1227

http://unofficialjazzlandinfo.yuku.com/topic/1965/t/The-end-of-the-dream.html

OK, Folks put away the stones and pitchforks we are still very much alive and well. Actually this was news to me as well as I honestly hadn't stepped foot in that office in months. Just about every one who works for Southern Star Amusement Inc. has a long way to commute to New Orleans and while we were waiting for the New Mayor to take office, there was no reason to keep that office open. Plus (this may come as a shock) we were all busy as New Orleans is not our only project. Rest assured we are still in our offices and will be reopening this branch office shortly. And so I'll actually be there from time to time myself, now that things are moving again.

Thanks for your support!

Danny

SSAI

http://unofficialjazzlandinfo.yuku.com/topic/1965/t/The-end-of-the-dream.html

I started to answer but its like pissing in the wind, in the end I'm the one who always gets wet! So I think the best idea is to stop posting and just tell you all to check the news for up dates or our web site at www.southernstaramusement.com .

Thanks for your support!

Farewell

Danny

SSAI

Looks like Danny's stepping back into the shadows for a while... I'll hold my breath until the next news "up dates" hit his website.

^Trust me, I've been tempted... I'd be curious to see if he sends it to me in crayon considering the elementary writing skills we've seen him show so far.

Between the Danny Rogers stuff and the Freestyle Music Park nonsense, these jokers make my job really easy when it comes to keeping the latest "news" online...

Edited by jedimaster1227

**edit, to honor Danny, I have deleted part of my original post

**edit, I answered my own question, and he wonders why no one will loan him any money, any bank worth a hoot will do their research and after finding what he posts and retracts online, I sure wouldn't make the loan

• 1 month later...

I messaged the site's admin prior to this post, and he said it would be ok to make it.

Anyway, I've been fascinated about what is going on in New Orleans (both in general and in terms of the old Jazzland/Six Flags park). In any case, it doesn't seem like anything is going to happen for some time (in terms of bulldozing/rebuilding etc)...but, obviously, people are curious as to what it looks like in the park (me included).

So in my efforts to find info, I ran across a thread on another forum that contained a bunch of pictures of the park (very recently).

Here's a few that I found interesting....a lot of what is going on in that park is spooky/makes for artistic photos.

These aren't my pictures, but you can see the whole set (along with some commentary) here: Click Here

Anyway, I found it very interesting reading/looking through the images of the former Six Flags park. Poor New Orleans.

Yeah, wow. Looking at that link full of photos I would have to think that there is a very, very, very slim chance this park would ever live again. The place looks in seriously horrible shape now.

I would think it would be more cost effective, if someone wanted to build a park in New Orleans, to start with a clean slate at another location.

--Robb

I think what saddens me about this the most is the lack of value that Premier put in the Six Flags name when they started purchasing every single park they possibly could.

Think about the "legacy" Six Flags parks. Could you imagine Six Flags Over Georgia or Six Flags Over Texas being in a situation like this? Of course not.

They just really had no clue and no respect for that brand.

--Robb