TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Its come to the point where they just need to level the "park". Its been far too long now. They wasted no time clearing the land Astroworld was on. Its time to clean it up and move on. Its such a huge reminder for the people of Louisiana as to what they lost in 2005.

People don't seem to realize just how expensive it is to demolish something like one ride, let alone an entire park. It would cost millions to remove everything from the park and clear the land. ArizonaGuy is absolutely right. As much of an eyesore as it is, what is the point of spending a huge chuck of money until a developer is interested in doing something with that land?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a shame that "The Saints won't be marching in" to help restore this defuct park back to it's former glory. But if the film studios could use this area for TV and movies, then I'm sure this area would be a wonder candidate (plus help New Orleans get some needed $$$ ). I wonder what kind of TV show could be made that has its settings inside an abandoned amusment park? Hey, don't laugh people; this kind of thing could be done ( just like what 20 Century Fox did when after filming the movie M*A*S*H was completed and they had these outdoor sets just sitting, so they decided to create the TV series called "M*A*S*H" and the rest is TV history). And of course, whenever a movie calls for a scene to be filmed in an amusement park ( just like the next Percy Jackson movie), then that would do just fine.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

It'd be nice to have a home park again. I still have my 2005 season pass in a memory box with a few other pre-Katrina items. In case you didn't know, we do refer to our lives as "Pre Katrina" or "post-Katrina" down here. It was a huge shift in our lives.

As for the park, I believe SFI never received the insurance money it was owed anyway. If that's the case, I don't blame them for fighting their way out of the 50+ year lease they had negotiated with New Orleans. It's crooked that they technically stole rides and equipment from the city for use in other parks, but the city wasn't exactly interested in stopping them with more important projects on their hands. There honestly isn't a "good" spot for a park here.

Way too expensive to demolish or even refurbish this place.

And so, the park will sit.

Until it collapses on itself, probably.

• 6 months later...

Danny Rogers, where you at?

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/nov/13/six-flags-site-wont-become-outlet-mall/

Six Flags site won't become outlet mall

The Associated Press

Posted November 13, 2013 at 7:42 a.m.

NEW ORLEANS — NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The city of New Orleans will be searching in coming months for a new plan to transform the former Six Flags amusement park site in eastern New Orleans after developers with ambitions of bringing an outlet mall officially killed the project.

Alan Philipson, president of the Industrial Development Board that holds title to the 150-acre property on behalf of the city, said in a meeting Tuesday that a public process to select a new tenant is being decided and should be finished by the end of the year. He said he hopes to have a new developer vetted and selected by the end of March, 2014.

"We're going to make it work this time," Philipson said.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration last year selected Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development to redevelop the amusement park, which was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina, into a 400,000-square-foot outlet mall. The joint venture signed a two-year temporary lease agreement for exclusive rights to develop the land.

But at a board meeting in March, the developers revealed doubts about moving forward because a new competitor had emerged. Plans for a $70 million outlet mall at the Riverwalk were underway by Dallas-based Howard Hughes Corp. The tentative Six Flags site developers said the New Orleans area market couldn't support two outlet malls.

Philipson said Tuesday that Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development agreed to terminate their contract after the Riverwalk's project moved closer to reality. Early last month, Howard Hughes announced a long list of retailers that had signed leases for The Outlet Collection at Riverwalk, including Last Call Studio by Neiman Marcus, Kenneth Cole and Coach. The Riverwalk is slated to re-open in late spring or early summer of next year.

David Wolf, the board's attorney, said the city wants the selection of a new developer to be a public process. He said the office of the mayor's economic adviser, Aimee Quirk, has received many calls from people who want to submit proposals. In the meantime, movie studios continue to pursue the site for filming.

The last time around, a city-designated committee considered two finalists to take control of the Six Flags site -- an outlet mall and plans for Crescent City Amusement Park. The committee rejected proposals for an adventure and water park, an electric power plant, and a combination theme park-resort and sound stage, among other plans.

Board member Darrel Saizan said he was disappointed the project fell through, considering the success he's seen at the growing Tanger Outlets outside of Baton Rouge. Moving forward, Saizan said, "I'm hoping to see something that creates jobs and opportunities and keeps the site clean."

Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development, under the temporary lease, were paying just under $1,700 per month in rent to the Industrial Development Board. Philipson said the termination agreement did not include any penalties.

Philipson said until the contract was terminated, the Industrial Development Board couldn't consider any other plans for the site.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/nov/13/six-flags-site-wont-become-outlet-mall/#ixzz2kZvluORr

- vcstar.com

• 2 weeks later...

Having grown up in that area, I'm honestly flabbergasted that NOLA is so dead-set of putting something there. It's on the bad side of town, (make that the really bad side of town), is prone to flooding, and is not really even convenient to town. You're practically out of New Orleans before you get there. The economic support of the immediately local neighborhoods would be basically nonexistent also...

If an outlet mall does get built at Riverwalk, I bet the several retail stores within walking distance are going to be THRILLED.

It was already a mall and tenants moved out. They are just renovating it and putting in outlets. Don't recall a lot of retail close by other then junk for tourists and antique stores.

• 1 month later...

Just in case you are curious

Proposal are being accepted until February 28th for the redevelopment of the site.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/01/what_should_be_built_at_the_fo.html

What should be built at the former Six Flags park in eastern New Orleans?

Katherine Sayre, NOLA.com

on January 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

The future of the former Six Flags amusement park site in eastern New Orleans will be determined in coming months. The Industrial Development Board, which holds title to the 150-acre, city-owned land, has begun accepting proposals from developers. The first deadline for proposals is Feb. 28.

This is the second selection process for the site in recent years. In 2012, a committee chose Provident Realty Advisors and DAG Development to build a 400,000-square-foot outlet mall. But when a separate outlet mall took shape at the Riverwalk, the eastern New Orleans site developers walked away from the project, saying the market couldn't support two such malls.

In the past, developers have also proposed amusement and water parks, an electric power plant, and a combination theme park-resort and sound stage.

And just in case you are curious, of course their is banter and an organized effort to bring back Jazzland.

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/

Not sure why all the effort for this site. Who ever wants to build on this site is going to have to clear the land. Why pay millions to do that when there is a lot of property in the area that is already vacant and cleared.

^Theres a few good reason that could save future parks for saving millions. Things like...

-Having park access from major highways.

-Having some type of layout available.

-Things like having the parking lot already built.

-Knowing that the area is already capable of getting a large amount of power directed to the area.

Granted these aren't great reasons for other companies to want to come in and build on the land, but they are ways for other companies to save millions that they would most likely have to spend when building a completely new park somewhere else. They wouldn't have to completely clear the land. Sure most of the buildings will have to be torn down, but it's not like they have to tear down everything and start from scratch.

^I dont' know. I doubt that any buildings or the parking lot are "salvagable." They did spend a lot of time underwater thanks to Hurricane Katrina. What infrastructure (for example, wiring) that the area had is probably useless now, and will have to be replaced. Then again, clearing the land would probably be better than leaving an eyesore intact.

But I'm not an architect or an engineer. If someone can come up with a plan to use the site, more power to them.

Edited by cfc

Tax incentives are a big deal. The city/state is motivated to make them for somebody willing to rehab that property - not so much for someone purchasing land near that same area.

Sewer/water/gas lines, in addition to other infrastructure already there, are certainly a feature - obviously they'll need work, but has been mentioned things like the parking lots etc (in addition to the utilities) already existing are an advantage over an empty parcel with no current improvements.

^Theres a few good reason that could save future parks for saving millions. Things like...

-Having park access from major highways.

-Having some type of layout available.

-Things like having the parking lot already built.

-Knowing that the area is already capable of getting a large amount of power directed to the area.

Granted these aren't great reasons for other companies to want to come in and build on the land, but they are ways for other companies to save millions that they would most likely have to spend when building a completely new park somewhere else. They wouldn't have to completely clear the land. Sure most of the buildings will have to be torn down, but it's not like they have to tear down everything and start from scratch.

You over estimate the savings. The only two things this site has going for it are location and the fact the utilities are brought up to the site. All the power, sewer and water lines will have to be replaced. Nothing on site is going to be worth saving. It has been 9 years with no maintenance. Things like the parking lot will have to be replaced. They will have weeds coming up through the cracks and water seeping back down destroying the foundation. It will cost millions to clear the site so there goes any savings.

If this is such a great site because "millions" could be saved, why hasn't a developer snapped it up?

^I never said it was a great site... In fact I stated that these weren't even great reasons for someone new to come in and build on that land. I'm not saying it because I want some park to come in and take it over tomorrow. I'm just stating the facts that have been thrown in front of me.

Also even those two reasons right there are millions compared to building them from scratch for a new property. It's not cheap to build up utilities to a certain site and who knows how much of the underground water and sewer lines. For all we know they might be in decent shape, but i'm not holding my breath on that. Am I saying this a 100 million dollar saving opportunity? No. But if someone were to build on the site, they will be saving money due to things that are already pre built.

To answer your question, lets look at the two main facts that have been given about the area. 1. It's not in the best area of town. 2. It's in an area that is prone to flooding. Those two reasons alone are enough to turn people away. I think the risks is just too high and not worth it because it could potentially happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

The only point when this could have possibly worked was shortly after the flooding. It is too late for this park to have any hope for revival. The point where this park could have been viable was when Astroworld was closed. Now that they are looking at getting another park in Houston, the window of opportunity has since closed. On top of this, why bother? The MegaZeph never stood out when it was built and never was able to attract enough attendance to make the park profitable enough under its original owners and with a Batman and other Six Flags additions was not enough attendance for Six Flags to justify reopening. The only thing unique was their dark ride. The creators of Kings Island understood that they couldn't grow if they kept the old park location where it kept flooding and their original park was at least a proven success story. As much as I would love to see this park reopen, the longer things sit dormant, the more vandalism happens, the more things get stolen, the more the wildlife takes over things, the more anyone would have to invest in fixing things before they could even begin to invest in making it marketable. I'm sorry but Jazzland is the new Rocky Point/Idora Park/Lincoln Park (Darthmouth)/etc. that will sit until it collapses. Having said this, I HOPE AND WANT to be proven wrong.

Even Danny Rogers believes that this project is a bad idea now.

http://unofficialjazzlandinfo.yuku.com/topic/2220/Industrial-Development-Board-launches-selection-process-dev#.UuwQFHn5Eas

Got a call this AM from the IDB you would think after all the park has been through and as bad as it now is inside it should just be bulldozed but no again someone must be found to rebuild it! Good Luck who ever, your going to need it!

Thanks

Danny