TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any Schwarzkopf Katapult's left?

Title sums it up. The Mitch's poll thread got me thinking about the few credits left that I really want to hit. Last one of these to operate was at Miribilandia briefly a few years back - what happened to that one? Or what happened to the one that was owned by a fair operator in Europe? Anyone have any ideas if it will ever be possible to ride one of these?

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a small kid I've also seen a "Drachenlooping" ("Dragonloop") which was a complete cicular loop with the train inside - I was to....ahem....scared to ride it but surely would be cool today....

What I mostly liked about the Katapult that it could go backwards. Once they had a bakcward train at Heide-Parks BigLoop Vekoma MK-1200 - so cool - but only for one season.

Parks should starting putting trains backwards on the track....

I've once seen pics form the Edmonton Mall Mindbender with a backwards mounted front-car at the end of the train - hope to ride it one day.

There used to be one at Allgäu Skyline Park but it also got removed like 10 years ago and in 2005 replaced by a lame Skywheel.

Picture

It was the first coaster I rode with inversion(s).

When I went to Freizeitpark Plohn (El Toro Germany) two years ago they had a "Ring of Fire" but I don't know if it's still there.

Wildwood NJ actually featured TWO of these strange Schwarzkopf devices during the mid-80s, which is odd since so few were built. I rode both units and found them be just OK. They use the same propulsion system as the wonderful Wiener Looping, which I rode both at Circus World/B&B (with ONLY lapbar restraints) and at the Munich '89 Oktoberfest. The Katapults lacked the intensity and speed of The Wiener but they were interesting to watch. Hopefully, some operator will bring one back into service.

-S

The Katapult was a refinement of an earlier Schwarzkopf design: The Shuttle Loop, which was quite popluar for many parks. He refined the original design, and combined it with the recent use of the Friction Design lift that was starting to work it's way into his larger portable coasters for the fairground circuit in Europe

The best information on them can be found HERE at Schwarzkopf.Coaster.net

As well as HERE at the same site.

I can only hope that some park picks up the stored one, and gives it the love that it deserves.

R.D.

"Certifiably lunatic Schwarzkopf Fanboy."

• 2 years later...

^ Yes it is!

635307678_ResizeofIMG_1899.JPG.f02186842e8d9b411ee6d8c0ee4af5f8.JPG

Selva Magica management took us back to get "up close" with Bullet, during the TPR Mexico Tour in late March.

Ah....erm...Robb's on top there.

It's too bad none of them are operational right now-it is a very interesting concept.

Well, if you count the one travelling in Saudi Arabia/Oman/Yemen (of all places, man), there is still one last Katapult in operation, hopefully there are more in storage.