TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

I really do like Kong at SFDK. I know most people, including most of my family, hate it, but it's never given me a bad ride. I think the standard SLC packs a lot of intensity into a well thought out, if not ideally executed, ride layout. I also don't really have anything against Vekoma Boomerangs. I fully understand that Vekomas, in general, are regarded with disdain. I've just never found a legitimate reason to not like them.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said people hate The Hulk, I said I hear lots of negative things about it. I constantly hear that "its too short and not great".

Yeah, I realized that's probably what you meant right after I posted a response. I have to say that anyone complaining Incredible Hulk is "too short" or it's "not very fun" need to ride Vortex at CGA, which is my least favorite B&M (out of the 11 I've ridden). THAT ride is short, and not very fun!

Definitely would say The Dark Knight (SFGAm). I dunno why, but I guess it was really the first coaster/attraction at my home park that I followed through the announcement all the way until opening day. Ever since, I've met a LOT of people that hate it, think it was a waste of money, etc. But looking at this thread, at least there's a few others that seem to enjoy it

I feel that Legend, Boss, Rattler, and American Eagle are all very underated.

Although Legend usually ranks high in surverys and AE doesn't do horribly so as far as hated, so just Boss and Rattler I guess.

I have to say Mind Eraser at Six Flags New England, and not just for sentimental reasons. Yes, it turns my head into pudding, but the layout is relentless and I always find myself grinning while riding. It's really fun if you know how to ride it.

Coney Island Cyclone: This is kind of a reversal of Mind Eraser for me in that people love it for nostalgia, but a lot of people can't handle how brutal it is. Personally, I loved it despite the bruises I got.

I can't really think of any other coasters I've ridden that were negatively received because of how rough they are, so those are my choices.

I like Silver Bullet(KBF) a lot....Twister II(thought the original was better), Desperado and Scream(can never understand why people dont like it) while I DONT care for TTD and even Xcelerator that much, I think they are just a one trick pony.....

How could I have forgotten Georgia Cyclone? The last time I rode it (during Goliath's inaugural year) it still delivered like few other coasters do. Viper @ SFGAm is often recognized as the best of the Cy-clones, but Georgia's take on this layout is far superior IMO.

Voyage gets hate too, but really I only see it here. No idea why.

I agree about Georgia Cyclone. With a full train, that ride delivered an amazing, airtime-filled experience the last time I rode it (2008).

Like quite a few of us on last year's TPR Mid-America trip, I thoroughly enjoyed Timber Wolf! Sure, it had its (very) rough spots, but not enough to take away from the great lay out. I also found Excalibur at Valleyfair pretty smooth and a really fun ride.

I never said people hate The Hulk, I said I hear lots of negative things about it. I constantly hear that "its too short and not great".

I've never heard this. Hulk got ranked #39 in the world and Kingda Ka got ranked #68 out of nearly 400 coasters on Mitch Hawker's poll last year. We're looking for rides that people HATE, not that get ranked in the top quarter of the world's roller coasters.

Like, for example, I kinda liked X:\No Way Out, especially when the effects we working. It was completely silly and pointless, but it made me laugh, which is more than I can say for your average Vekoma Boomerang....

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I love, love, LOVE Steel Dragon 2000! Still sitting solidly on my Top 10 steel list. I think a lot of people had such high expectations for this one, that when they finally rode it, they felt let down. Personally, I couldn't get enough of it. What's not to love - the first drop is over 300 feet, followed by a 250 foot drop, followed by a 200 foot drop, followed by some swooping curves and endless bunny hops on the way back to the station. One common gripe I often have with coasters is "aw, there weren't enough drops" - but Steel Dragon 2000 left me supremely satiated. Yeah, with all those drops it could probably deliver a little more in the air time department, but it's a smooth ride and just a helluva lot of fun. I could ride it all day.

As for woodies, I still love The Beast. Ah... nothing like a good terrain coaster, and a wild ride through the forest. (This one's especially fun at night.) And you get not just one lift hill - but TWO lift hills... plus tunnels, and if you're lucky, maybe even some deer sightings in the woods. Some of my love for The Beast may be nostalgic - but I've ridden it lately (most recently in 2009) and it's still hanging on to a spot on my Top 10 woodie list. People tend to complain about the trims throughout the ride - but I think they're probably necessary; I think if they took out the trims, it would probably be unbearably rough. To date, I've ridden it 40 times and I haven't had a bad ride yet (though I'll admit I don't dare ride on the wheel blocks).

For me, the choice here is really easy. Millennium Force. So many people are distracted by the lack of airtime, but when I look at the positives of the ride...

-One of the best first drops in the world

For me, MF's drop does absolutely nothing for me. At all. I was really looking forward to it, but the lift is too fast to build up anticipation and the breakover angle into the steep part felt over-engineered to me. I get very little sensation of freefall on it.

That's why I was so blown away by New Texas Giant's first drop. In fact, I told the prez of the park on media day that Giant's first drop was what MF's wanted to be, but didn't quite achieve. He said, "that's the kind of thing we love to hear!"

I would have to say the Batman clones. They really are great rides, with intense forces and that good old B&M snap. Just because there are more then one, doesn't mean they are bad. I look forward to riding three on my Texas trip this summer, because they are great rides... and of course the credits