TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

Most enthusiasts are all about Cornball Express at IB, but I preferred Hoosier Hurricane above and beyond it. Front seat riding on the lake while I was practically the only rider on the train was pure bliss.

I had a similar experience during my only visit to Silverwood, although I liked Tremors, I enjoyed Timber Terror even more.

During my first trip to Holiday World I preferred Legend over Raven, I after a couple more visits I rate Raven higher.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of Rougarou at Cedar Point. I don't know that EVERYBODY hates it, but it sure seems like a lot of people do and when I went last summer lines were minimal. I always wanted to like it as Mantis but the whole nutsack smashing stand-up aspect ruined it for me. Now that that's gone I find the ride to be a blast.
I felt that Mantis was the park's best B&M, so I can only imagine how much I'll enjoy the ride in its more comfortable configuration.

I really liked Viper at SFMM, and add me to the list of Anaconda fans. Vortex at KI is a bit more brutal than those two, at least in my eyes, but having also enjoyed GASM at SFGAdv, I guess you can add me to the list of Arrow megalooper fans.

I suppose some of these are more underrated than hated in my eyes, but I'd add the SUFs (not the SFDK version, but the flyers), the Boss, Batman - The Ride, smooth SLCs, and Goliath and Titan to my list of rides that I enjoy more than most others.

I'm a huge fan of Rougarou at Cedar Point. I don't know that EVERYBODY hates it, but it sure seems like a lot of people do and when I went last summer lines were minimal. I always wanted to like it as Mantis but the whole nutsack smashing stand-up aspect ruined it for me. Now that that's gone I find the ride to be a blast.

I second your Rougarou opinion. It's in my top 10 (even though my credit count is pathetic compared to most on here)

Most people who say it sucks hate it because most coaster YouTubers don't like it.

Right!? I feel like so many people are going into these older rides for the first time with super low expectations just based on what YouTubers say, it's pretty unnerving.

Blue Hawk (Ninja) @ SFOG. I don't love this ride, but I liked it and may be one of the only enthusiasts that doesn't hate the ride. It's not that bad. Gouderix is so much worse.

A lot of people seem to actually like Blue Hawk, me personally I found it better than Ninja, but that's not saying much. I still found the final half of it extremely rough.

Grizzly at KD. I once told a ride op standing at the entrance telling people it was currently closed that I was disappointed it was down. He gave me the most incredulous look and said that he had never heard anyone say that before.

It's such a good ride though! Not rough, but definitely with that out-of-control feeling that wooden coasters should have. And the first drop during night rides, especially in the back row, is just amazing. You just get whipped over and drop into blackness. My friends were skeptical, but I had them converted at the end.

I personally thought the Hurler at KD was a really fun woodie. I only got one ride somewhere in the middle of the train and I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth and fast paced it was.

^I absolutely love Grizzly! It's easily my favorite non-I305 ride at Kings Dominion. People who like it mostly enjoy it for the location and night rides, but it's such a forceful and wild coaster that it could be a parking lot coaster and it would still be great.
Maybe it's just me, but I've never been under the impression that people, or at least enthusiasts, hate Grizzly. I always thought it was a classic fan favorite.

What's funny is I personally have plenty of reason to hate Grizzly, but the fact is a large part of me (just not my rib) actually really enjoyed it and I can't wait to get back and give it another chance. Its telling that even with a freshly cracked rib I could still see the appeal of the thing.

Grizzly and Rougarou are two rides that I really enjoyed. They are solid 8/10 rides. Grizzly has good airtime and is smooth while Rougarou doesn't have much headbanging and is quite forceful.

I don't think people hate it, but I love Rip Ride Rockit a ton. It's a 10/10 ride for me while I feel most enthusiasts aren't quite as high on the ride. I also loved the Coney Island Thunderbolt which I know has gotten terrible reviews.

They aren't loves for me, but two rides I really enjoy that others seem to hate are Great America's Grizzly (no air time, but smooth) and Zamperla Volares (never had any headbanging so I consider myself lucky).

I'm a huge fan of Rougarou at Cedar Point. I don't know that EVERYBODY hates it, but it sure seems like a lot of people do and when I went last summer lines were minimal. I always wanted to like it as Mantis but the whole nutsack smashing stand-up aspect ruined it for me. Now that that's gone I find the ride to be a blast. A lot of people complain it's a headbanger, but I just hold my head ever so slightly forward from the headrest and I have no problems. I love getting in lots of rides on Roug and the also massively fun without much of a wait Gemini to help make up for all the time I'll spend waiting for more popular coasters.

Every single thing about this post is spot on. Rougarou, Gemini (and I'll throw in Skyhawk) are great ways to split up the long waits, they're all great rides and they rarely have long lines.

Rougarou is great, I'd still consider it the weakest B&M at the park but that's more of a testament to the others than a knock on Rougarou. It's not rough at all, and it's a super fun ride. The fact that it was so terrible when it was Mantis makes that fact pretty damn amazing.

I'm a huge fan of Rougarou at Cedar Point. I don't know that EVERYBODY hates it, but it sure seems like a lot of people do and when I went last summer lines were minimal. I always wanted to like it as Mantis but the whole nutsack smashing stand-up aspect ruined it for me. Now that that's gone I find the ride to be a blast. A lot of people complain it's a headbanger, but I just hold my head ever so slightly forward from the headrest and I have no problems. I love getting in lots of rides on Roug and the also massively fun without much of a wait Gemini to help make up for all the time I'll spend waiting for more popular coasters.

I absolutely agree. The rush of the wind (especially at night) is so amazing, and I love the laterals <3 I walked on two or three times for the back rows, and I was able to ride it with my hands up comfortably (apart for the MCBR snap, I hit my head pretty hard there).

I love Rip Ride Rockit a ton. It's a 10/10 ride for me while I feel most enthusiasts aren't quite as high on the ride.

*turns on Beastie boys sabotage* goes down first drop and first 'loop'... weeeeeeeeeee! That was fun! Brake. Fun swoop. Brake again. More brakes. Brake again. Even more brakes. Brakes again. End of ride. 10/10?

Listen all y'all it's a sabotage.

I love Rip Ride Rockit a ton. It's a 10/10 ride for me while I feel most enthusiasts aren't quite as high on the ride.

*turns on Beastie boys sabotage* goes down first drop and first 'loop'... weeeeeeeeeee! That was fun! Brake. Fun swoop. Brake again. More brakes. Brake again. Even more brakes. Brakes again. End of ride. 10/10?

Listen all y'all it's a sabotage.

That's my problem with Rip Ride Rockit. It's seriously MCBR: The Ride.

^ Makes me not feel as bad that I missed it the one time I was there.

I have a weird one in Kong at SFDK. For some reason it's always given me smoothish rides and since the restraint modification it's gotten even better. And while I know it doesn't give phenomenal rides I always end up riding it multiple times each visit. It's just fun to me.

Also, X2 is frickin amazing. It's gotten to the point where every single time I hear Enter Sandman I start daydreaming about it.

YES! That song and the "It had to be you" song always remind me of X2.

Also, I definitely don't mind Kong either. People hate it too much but I've had plenty of smooth-ish rides on it where I had plenty of fun.

Am I allowed to admit that I actually kinda really like Hades 360?

Sure, it's rough as hell, and Mt. Olympus does almost nothing right, but my god is it ever intense.

and those tunnels. holy coastering insanity batman!

Oh yea I forgot to mention Hades but I went on it before the inversion. Still it was a lot of fun. I notice that coaster gets a lot of hate too but I thought it was really awesome! However.....I didn't like how it banged my side in that tunnel. Thats one part I didn't like about it.

It doesn't exist anymore, but I really liked Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv. I understand why it's gone and why so many people didn't like it, but it never really knocked me around like it seemed to do others. I would ride it a bunch of times in a row since it never had a line.

Am I allowed to admit that I actually kinda really like Hades 360?

Yes, but it does mean that you're borderline psychotic.

Phew! Only a boderline psychotic.

I've been accused of being worse

Seriously though, there is something about Hades 360 that just works for me. The drop out of the station and pre-lift run through the woods is great, what a fun way to start a ride. The first drop is totally solid. The tunnels are pure insanity. The barrel roll and overbank in the turnaround are both taken with amazing speed. The big drop through the superstructure after the 2nd tunnel is surprisingly long and steep and is loaded with head-choppers.

I totally get that's its extremely rough, and that the one train operation is fairly aggravating, but the ride is really intense, and in my opinion, a crapload of fun.

I've seen a lot of hate for Alpengeist (*cough* coasterstudios *cough*), but it's hands down my favorite invert. Yeah, that might be biased since BGW is my favorite park but still it's a great coaster.

Also, I really like Wildcat at Hershey. I definitely wouldn't mind RMC Wildcat but if they don't do it that'd be alright

I still enjoyed AIR (now called something else)at Alton Towers, from

past TRP UK Tour visits. It was my first flying coaster. And still, I felt it smoother

than other flyers I've ridden in recent years. It's got some simple elements in

it. But this one, was one of the first flyers to actually be successful, yes? No?

All the same, I liked how AIR swooped and did that lovely side glide "almost"

over the park's parking lot, LOL! And the barrel roll, too!