TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

I always loved Flashback at SFMM. It was a bit of a head banger, and the front of the car obscured vision, but it was such a unique and fun ride. I'd also throw in the Blackpool Wild Mouse, but I don't think coaster fans hate that one per se.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Hawk (Ninja) @ SFOG. I don't love this ride, but I liked it and may be one of the only enthusiasts that doesn't hate the ride. It's not that bad. Gouderix is so much worse.

Nitro - I rank this really high because its just super fun. Everyone seems to be meh about it but whatever I don't care, its a favorite. Its not always about intensity to me I just like a fun ride and Nitro hits all the marks. Fast floaty fun.

I can say this about every B&M hyper. They are my favorite type of ride and my top 10 or 15 is littered with these. I'll take them over any other type of ride.

Maybe I'm a coaster-conformist because I can't think of one right now. I do love the Arrow Dynamics suspended coasters, not that they get a lot of hate but they seem to be largely ignored. Unfortunately it is probably only a matter of time before SFMM decides to retire Ninja.

1. Fujiyama. This is my favorite hyper and I haven't heard of many people that like it. It is rough and all but it delivers one hell of a relentless and out of control ride!

2. Legend. The strong lateral at the helix is insane!

3. The Boss, love how aggressive it is.

4. Viper at SFMM, I've been on maybe 6 or 7 rougher B&M's out there.

5. Green Lantern at SFMM, I've ridden it 3 times only, but I enjoyed my ride every time. Maybe I'm the weird one.

I noticed many people don't like Vortex at Kings Island but i remember enjoying it a lot. Has the nice drop and inversions and don't remember it being rough. Then again this was 2004. Still looks like it would be fun still.

Also many seem to complain about Magnum but i think Magnum is awesome!! So its a little rough..but the air time is great!

I'm of the persuasion that there aren't many coasters I really don't like and will never ride, so there are plenty I enjoy that others despise.

However, the top two that come to mind:

X2--I still LOVE X2! Especially that soundtrack. "X..X...2...2..!! Is everybody in?" I just get so excited! Mind you that last time I rode it was pretty rough, but I'm willing to forgive it because I still love X2 from the bottom of my heart. Event though we had our differences last time we met, I believe that our relationship can be mended.

Green Lantern SFMM--Mind you, I haven't been on any of the Free-fly coasters, but I actually enjoy Green Lantern and will still ride it even though other enthusiasts say "Hell no!"

Oh, and I'll throw in a vote for Mean Streak. I enjoyed it when I got my last rides in last year. It was better in the front, but I still even gave it a couple rides in the back.

^ The only people who don't like X2 are either (1) scared of it, or (2) limp-wristed snobs who can't handle any kind of roughness. The outside seats can deliver some headbanging toward the end of the ride, but the 7th row will give you the best ride in the park.

I have a weird one in Kong at SFDK. For some reason it's always given me smoothish rides and since the restraint modification it's gotten even better. And while I know it doesn't give phenomenal rides I always end up riding it multiple times each visit. It's just fun to me.

Also, X2 is frickin amazing. It's gotten to the point where every single time I hear Enter Sandman I start daydreaming about it.

Oh another one I like to mention is the Boomerang. Well I wouldnt say I 'love" them but the one I went on was a fun coaster. It was the one in Darien Lake back when I went in 2005. I like how you go up the hill backwards and see the ground and everything get smaller as you get higher. Then you drop!! It brings a whole new thrill. Also when going through one of the loops the restraints lifted off me a bit bring that "YIKES!" factor. Not sure all Boomerang loops do that but the one I went on did. Its not my all time favorite but they still are fun coasters.

For me it's basically KD's Anaconda and SFA's Batwing.With Anaconda I sort of understand the hate-the midsection helixes can be jarring,but when Batwing is running properly it's a great ride!

+1 to Anaconda. Those corkscrews are life!

Anaconda all the way! Cool drop, forceful loop and sidewinder as well. And of course you have the corkscrews. There's only one really rough transition, but the rest of it has the perfect jerkiness for a classic Arrow. Most people who say it sucks hate it because most coaster YouTubers don't like it.

For me it's basically KD's Anaconda and SFA's Batwing.With Anaconda I sort of understand the hate-the midsection helixes can be jarring,but when Batwing is running properly it's a great ride!

Anaconda was actually the first one I thought of, it's been over 15 years though, so I'm not sure how it rides anymore.

The other one I enjoyed in the early/mid 90s was Drachenfire, but I was small and light so I didn't hit the headrests too hard (it was clearly rough though). I just enjoyed the mid-drop corkscrew and it was an intense coaster, probably more intense than Arrow had the ability to properly execute.

Most enthusiasts are all about Cornball Express at IB, but I preferred Hoosier Hurricane above and beyond it. Front seat riding on the lake while I was practically the only rider on the train was pure bliss.

Not sure if people really "hate" Hoosier Hurricane, but I know that almost everyone claims that CE is the much better coaster. TBH, I don't even really even remember CE, that's how bland it was to me.

Another coaster that surprised me last year was Predator at Darien Lake. I very much enjoyed my ride on it in the front seat...perhaps because my expectations were so low going in?

Although it wasn't exactly a "good" coaster, I remember really liking the original Rattler at SFFT back when I have ridden it in 2011. My sister rode it before me and hated it so I was expecting the worst. But after riding it myself, I found it enjoyable despite the crappy layout.

^ Yea when i went to IB back in 2004 I remember thinking Hoosier Hurricane was way better!!! Its higher and has way better drops! I don't remember being as thrilled on CE as HH. CE was a nice ride and all but I preferred HH way much more. As I said before somewhere on this forum curved drops dont do much for me...unless the curved drop is extremely steep!(like the Legend at Holiday World) But shallow curved drops.....very meh!

I'm a huge fan of Rougarou at Cedar Point. I don't know that EVERYBODY hates it, but it sure seems like a lot of people do and when I went last summer lines were minimal. I always wanted to like it as Mantis but the whole nutsack smashing stand-up aspect ruined it for me. Now that that's gone I find the ride to be a blast. A lot of people complain it's a headbanger, but I just hold my head ever so slightly forward from the headrest and I have no problems. I love getting in lots of rides on Roug and the also massively fun without much of a wait Gemini to help make up for all the time I'll spend waiting for more popular coasters.