TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

Flight of Fear at Kings Island. The one at Kings Dominion may not bring the train to a full halt, but this one still pulls the intense positive Gs in the first three inversions that makes you feel like you're upside down at the top of the spaghetti bowl. I also really like Vortex at Kings Island, although I understand the hate. It'll definitely rearrange your spine on a bad day. But the first drop is fun, the loops are forceful, and the corkscrews have really fun hang-time.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Firehawk at Kings Island: I expected the worst with this coaster, but it ended up being a very fun ride. It was a little rough in a few spots, but smooth for the most part. The loop was pretty forceful, and I love the flying sensation. I does have the world's loudest lift hill though.

^It's a little rough (especially closer to the back) and it does get your legs tired but I quite like the experience. I know the idea of a standup coaster is a bit gimmicky but it's one of those that actually makes a difference as it's a unique ride experience (much like flying coasters)

I feel like since we are in a safe space I can admit this but I like the Mind Eraser at Six Flags America! It was one of the first super intense roller coaster I remember riding as a kid, I remember the weird Cal Ripken Mind Eraser commercials and even though it is not a smooth ride it never had hurt my head like my other friends!

Pretty much any Vekoma Boomerang with the headbang-free vest restraints

If you like boomerangs. The best one I have every rode, was at Dixie Landin in Batton Rouge. It's so smooth, you wouldn't believe it. Plus trust me, I have ridden at least 20 boomerang coasters.

• 1 year later...

Vekoma Boomerangs. The two I've ridden (Carowinds and Worlds of Fun) are both fun rides with some decent forces (especially the loop backwards) and aren't all that rough in my opinion.

Viper @ SFMM

If you're short, this ride can deliver some headbanging, but if you're tall like me, you won't notice it. The back seat delivers a fast, smooth, and thrilling ride.

Scream @ SFMM

I didn't really like this coaster until I tried the front row recently. Since it's a floorless coaster, the train doesn't have a nose, so there is nothing in front of you. It was fast, smooth, and a lot of fun! I found the middle rows boring and somewhat rough.

Backlot Stunt Coaster and Volcano!

Aside from the miserable capacity, who hates Volcano? Or Backlot, for that matter.

Nobody, I rave about Backlot on the daily.

Anyway, a few come to mind for me...

1) Mean Streak obviously

2) Mystery Mine. I'm not sure everyone "hates" this ride, but I hear a ton of complaining about roughness that doesn't exist. I rank the ride absurdly high, well above rides that it has no business being ranked ahead of like Boulder Dash, Top Thrill Dragster, Leviathan and every single B&M hyper (Fury aside).

3) Vortex at Carowinds. I hate standup coasters, but I really like this one. It's the only one I've ever enjoyed (out of Riddler's Revenge, Mantis, Green Lantern, Apocalypse, Shockwave, Le Cobra and probably some others I've tried to forget existed).

4) Vekoma Flyers. I really like these, and I actually enjoy them more than Superman at Great Adventure. They can't compete with the top tier B&M flyers like Manta and Tatsu, but they're solid rides and I don't find them rough at all.

Vortex at Kings Island comes to mind, I hear a lot of complaints about it being rough but it feels the same as it always has to me.

Ednor at LaRonde was surprisingly decent for an SLC, not sure I'd go far as to say I "love it" but it was a pretty fun ride for the rep SLC usually get.

Same thing kinda goes for most Vekoma boomerangs, the drop always catches me off guard and the roughness of them never really bothers me that much.

...Aside from the miserable capacity, who hates Volcano?...

I'm always hearing people complain about how much they dislike Volcano because "it's nothing but slow roll, after slow roll, after slow roll, with a giant dive into the brake run."

Personally I really like the slow rolls!! They are so much fun!

ThunderHawk at Michigan's Adventure. Only ridden it once (and the only SLC I've ridden) and I didn't find it to be that bad. Definitely the best steel coaster at Michigan's Adventure.

Honestly I have to say I'm in the same boat. I've come to love that ride. I've ridden it around 50 times in one week and honestly Timbers is rougher on me now that ThunderHawk.

Furius Baco - absolutely loved it and would put it on the same level as Shambhala, honestly I think the roughness adds to the out of control feeling and if your on an inside seat its tolerable for me at least!

ThunderHawk at Michigan's Adventure. Only ridden it once (and the only SLC I've ridden) and I didn't find it to be that bad. Definitely the best steel coaster at Michigan's Adventure.

Don't ride any others. The rest are not merely lesser than Thunderhawk, but downright awful. Painful, headache inducing rattling. You have no idea. Thunderhawk is literally the only one that's any good. And I was an English major, so you know I mean it when I say literally.

Coasters that seem to get hate that I think are awesome:

Nitro - I rank this really high because its just super fun. Everyone seems to be meh about it but whatever I don't care, its a favorite. Its not always about intensity to me I just like a fun ride and Nitro hits all the marks. Fast floaty fun.

Skyrush - if you complain about this ride you are a big baby. Stay off it and outta my way.

Magnum - Again, I felt no pain at all on this. Bunch a p*ssies. Ride is fantastic.

I'm one of the Skyrush fans. I absolutely LOVE it and the tightening restraints don't really detract from it to me.

With Volcano - mentioned above, I think the "hate" isn't for the ride itself, it is for the fact that it has that awesome dive at the end - but just, well, ends.