TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

I can honestly say I've never had a bad ride on a Boomerang...

I think you experience some of the strongest G's of any coaster when you sit in the last car of the train and the train goes backwards through the loop...it's nirvana!

Yeah that's well intense, 5.2G I believe!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple! Georgia Cyclone and Boss are wonderful coasters! Both are in my top 5 woodies! Mean Streak wasn't as bad as people make it out to be! Also I did enjoy Son of Beast! As far as steel, Vortex at KI is in my top 10 steelies! Ninja at SFSTL and T2 aren't that bad either!

Son Of Beast: I found it to be rough and slow through certain parts, but the height, speed, and intensity made it so thrilling! Plus the loop was amazing when it was there.

Iron Wolf: One of my favorite standups, I found it to be smooth and thrilling.

Georgia Cyclone: One of my all time favorite coasters! Seriously if there's any coaster that lives up to its name, it's GC! Yeah its rough as hell, but the intensity and airtime is purely amazing!

Hurler: I thought it was fairly smooth and had great airtime!

Ninja (SFSTL): A little rough, but in 7-1, the airtime is almost scary! The chain return also provides a terrifying head chopper!

Timberwolf: a little slow and rough on some spots, but overall it had multiple moments of airtime!

Shockwave: A standup with ejector air and restraints that make you feel free? Heck yeah! I'll take Shockwave over a Beemer anyday.

Hypersonic XLC: The proximity to the wall of steel before the launch was intimdating. Just watching the terror on people's faces was fun enough, but riding it was better.

Timberwolf: The complaints on this ride are valid everywhere but the front. The front is awesome; especially after it rains.

Iron Dragon: I'm not sure if people "hate" this one, but they sure seem to hate me after I tell them I like it more than Big Bad Wolf. The pacing in the second half is great for this type of coaster.

Wildthing: It's hard to call a hyper hated, but this is one of the lowest rated hypers around. Normally it is just okay, but a few years ago they turned off the brakes for the last couple runs of ERT and WOW was that amazing. Top shelf rides, possibly the best I've had on any steel coaster. Not really a fair comparison since those rides don't currently exist...but there is a great coaster buried by Valleyfair management.

• 2 months later...
I tend to have different criteria for what I love in a coaster, so my favorites are rarely lined up with those that end up at the top Mitch's poll, or the ones that will Golden Tickets.

Voyage, SFNE's Superman/Bizarro, and EGF are notable exceptions to the above rule, but there are plenty of coasters on my all-time faves list that make other enthusiast friends of mine say "wait... what?"

In the wood category, Mega Zeph just blew me away (insert bad hurricane pun here). It had everything I want in a wood coaster, just enough roughness, violent ejector airtime, killer laterals in the final helix, and the best 2nd drop of all time (followed immediately by the most OMFG curving bunny hill ever). Why none of my friends ever exited this ride with more than an "it's OK, I guess" is beyond me.

As for steel, I freaking love Lightwater Valley's "The Ultimate". Love, love, love. It's such a mind trip, the gentle trip out in the ungodly-long train, swooshing through the meadowlands. The string of caterpillar-like bunny hills leading to the second lift. The yards and yards of track that just sit on the ground and do pretty much nothing. The sheep grazing in the meadows surrounding the ride. The second lift hill that takes about 20 minutes to get to the top, and the insanely slow turn at the top of it with the odd fence covered in underwear. All of this nonsense and cheekiness is forgotten when that long train finally leaves the lift and drops into the woods for the trip home. My god, what a brutal, insane, poorly-designed, improperly-banked maelstrom of unpredictability that is! There is just nothing right about it and yet that's what I love most.

Thank you for mentioning Mega Zeph! The first drop was a weightless experience for me (when i was 7 lol) and all of those ejector bunny hills lifted you out of your seat. I remember one of them was so intense you had to push against the lap bar, or get your stomach rammed into it. Plus the rickety feeling of an all-wood coaster makes it feel even faster.

Also, Gwazi. Everyone seems to think that its too rough, but that's just what I like about it. Also, its very similar to Mega Zeph in the amount of g's it delivers. And it never has a line which is always a thumbs up.

Mean Streak for sure. I've never had anything against this ride and I could sit by the train tracks and watch it run for hours. Sure the trim on the hill brought the ride quality down a little bit but how often can you weave in and out of a massive wooden structure like that?

I actually REALLY liked Viper at SFGAd.

Okay, now you're just messing with us...

Prior to El Toro, I would argue that Viper had the best drop in the park. The final turn into the brakes was brutal, but the rest of the ride really wasn't that bad.

I was always happy to ride Viper as well. Sure, the transitions were horrible, but the awesome first drop, hangtime inversion, and heartline roll were all very fun to ride. I'm tall enough that it never hurt very badly (and often never hurt at all), though I was used to riding it.

I also loved Scream Machine, that last corkscrew was always wonderful.

Now I wish I could've ridden Viper to see for myself, after reading all these comments.

For me:

Sooperdooperlooper - I don't think many people HATE it, but I certainly enjoy it a lot more than others, I've noticed

Hercules @ Dorney

Shockwave @ KD

Hypersonic XLC

Vekoma Boomerangs!

Now I wish I could've ridden Viper to see for myself, after reading all these comments.

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I despised the ride. When it was over with, it felt as if someone had been punching me in the shoulders for the last couple minutes.

Viper at SFMM. I rode it back in 2007. I know it's been a long time, but it wasn't rough at all and was so much fun! I rode it over and over because there were no lines. I got to stay in the front seat for 5 times straight, and other seats after that whenever someone wanted to ride in the front.

I also enjoy Revolution at SFMM.

My list...

4.) Wildcat, HersheyPark (Pre-MilF trains)- I -LOVED- the Pissy Pussy with the old PTC trains on it- Rough, powerful, some nice slamming around, good rattling and a personality that's second to none made this my #1 wooden coaster. On a warm. wet day, those trains could make you REALLY feel every inch of the ride- and as much as the MilFs have made it more 'traditional', I miss the PTC cars. That was one ride where screaming "Who's your DADDY" made sense.

R.D.

Totally loved that ride with PTCs. I like rides that jolt you. Wildcat, Mind Eraser, and Mean Streak for example. But Cyclone at SFNE is just to rough for me.

I have some new ones:

Shockwave (KD)

Mean Streak (CP)

Hurler (KD and Carowinds)

Mantis (CP)

Backlot Stunt Coaster (KD)

So about Shockwave... I was expecting some roughness after the reviews of this ride. Surprisingly, this ride was pretty smooth, and it gave you airtime too! And it felt pretty intense at some parts. What a very amazing ride!

Mean Streak... very large woodie. It was very cool, and is my favorite woodie (don't throw rocks at me please!).

Hurler... the one in KD was very cool. The Carowinds version isn't even that rough (I've been on it the two times I've been there: 6/16/11 and 7/5/11).

Mantis... my favorite Stand-Up.

Backlot... wasn't really expecting it to be a big deal, but for a family coaster, it was pretty cool. I actually felt airtime at some parts.

Edited by StarTrekGeek

So glad to see some love for PTC train Gwazi... but that was also my answer... Gwazi... love it with the MF trains... loved it with the PTC trains... named our cat after that coaster (true story)... I LOVE Gwazi (which many MANY people don't agree with...)

It used to be Superman: The Escape at Magic Mountain because I'll never forget the anticipation I had for the ride the first time I heard about it, I saw it get put together on a visit, and the next time I came I got to ride it when it opened! Everybody I ever went on with it thought it wasn't worth the wait, always said "that's it?" but I still thought it was an awesome concept, one that got me into coasters, and one that really never got to be what it was truly designed to do.

Luckily, the team at Magic Mountain changed all that this year with the rehab to Superman: Escape from Krypton and now everybody I've been on it with LOVES IT and I agree with them! It's WAY better now and I wouldn't have it back to the old way for anything!

If you haven't ridden it and you're in So Cal seriously, go ride it. It's awesome!

It's good to see some love for Shockwave! My second ride on Shockwave was amazing. Ejector airtime on stand-ups are awesome, and Shockwave had around 4 moments of it. Although on the back half, I would be floating and slamming in to the restraints at the same time, but it was worth it.