TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Mountain WDW Changes 2nd Lift Hill Splash

Seems like WDW is testing removing the cheap shot "splash" outside the big drop. Normally this would drench the log and make everyone angry (or me at least.) Now it seems they're redoing it so it barely misses the log.

Thanks to WDWMagic for the photos/video...

I think this is great, your thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were doing that when I rode it early in March, and I was very glad to not get wet at that part. IOA should follow suit and remove the cannons after the last drop on Dudley Doo Right...then again, they make money from both the cannon machines and the dryer machines people use after riding it - so I bet they won't.

I think that if you go on a water ride, you're gonna get wet. That's why I usually steer clear of them unless I plan for them.

LOL! Yeah totally, which is also why I don't do water rides. I will, however, go through $5 worth of quarters blasting people with the water cannons on rides like Congo River at Busch Gardens and Popeye & Dudley Do-Right at IOA. Because I'm evil.

Aww, that's too bad! I *loved* that splash! You didn't always get it every time, and it kind of gave you an "oh crap! oh crap! oh crap!" feeling coming around that turn. And when you did get it, it was just plain.... "fun."

I dunno, but little surprises like this, IMO, are exactly what water rides are all about!

--Robb

I thought that was just a winter setting? I seem to remember when I was a CP (a friend worked at Splash, but I could be and probably am wrong) that they would do that in the winter, and then crank it back up every summer. I hope they didn't completely get rid of it though, because I do like the Oh Crap moment like Robb mentioned.

I thought that was just a winter setting? I seem to remember when I was a CP (a friend worked at Splash, but I could be and probably am wrong) that they would do that in the winter, and then crank it back up every summer. I hope they didn't completely get rid of it though, because I do like the Oh Crap moment like Robb mentioned.

Even if that was the case, it would have been cranked up by now. Just sayin', here in Florida we are already in the 90's on average. While we haven't hit the extent of our summer weather, we already are way past the colder days. The smaller splash started around February, it was running though Christmas and New Years. (It was running a combination of 2 of these "new" splashes, then 1 of the ones that get you wet.) Same thing with the one that splashes the bridge, I haven't seen that running since the new splash profile was put in place. (However, that could be changed by now, I haven't checked).

If it's like this, it's not because of weather now, in my opinion.

This post reminds me of Disney CA Adventure and their attraction 'Grizzey River Rafting Co'. (Their whitewater rafting adventure)

At the end of this attraction (After the final drop) just before you reach the exit the attraction, they have this geyser that can completely soak you. They even have a bridge near by that people can watch the (Possible) soaking. But the past few trips I've been to DCA I haven't seen anyone get soaked, so maybe they ended that part of the attraction (Which would be to bad, because its really funny to watch) or maybe they will just do it on the hotter summer days. Well see.

When it comes to water rides, you have to expected to get a bit soaked from time to time!

I find the final drop to be worse than that other splash. In January, I got completely soaked, more than any other log flume. 6 hours later and my clothes still weren't dry. I'm never sitting in the front row when it's not that warm out without a poncho again.

They were doing that when I rode it early in March, and I was very glad to not get wet at that part. IOA should follow suit and remove the cannons after the last drop on Dudley Doo Right...then again, they make money from both the cannon machines and the dryer machines people use after riding it - so I bet they won't.

Pfffff. Those cannons are some of the most entertaining things in the world. Especially in the winter. I go through ten bucks EASILY.

I agree w/Robb. Isn't it all part of the fun? If you go on a water ride and complain about getting wet... well... you have issues.

Andrew aka Pufferfish,talk to him, He does not like rides like Splash downs, because all their purpose is , would be to get you wet. "Theres no fun in that" he told me once. Kid doesn't even like water parks BUT heres the kicker. HE NOW WORKS AT BLIZZARD BEACH .

I did manage at Cedar Point to get him to ride Shoot The Rapids though.

I was on Splash Mountain about a week ago and it was really strange not getting wet by the thing.

Darn it, I got those guests excited and apprehensive for nothing...

It might be done because of census reports? When its 90 degrees out, I DANG sure after a 30+ minute wait WANT to get wet. In Winter and late autumn I'd prefer the little mini splash. I just think a lot of people complain of the couple of water spots on the shirt after the ride to be a little childish.

Andrew aka Pufferfish,talk to him, He does not like rides like Splash downs, because all their purpose is , would be to get you wet. "Theres no fun in that" he told me once. Kid doesn't even like water parks BUT heres the kicker. HE NOW WORKS AT BLIZZARD BEACH

That's odd, because when I talked with him, he loves all flume rides. I remember meeting him at BG and he was soaked because he came off of the flume there.

Little update, I went to Magic Kingdom and basically studied the ride. Every 5-7 a mist/mystified water cannon would fire hitting the riders that are right in from of the "barb patch". Though, It looked like mist, and the water was not hitting the bridge at all. However, the splash that everyone is talking about (The splash right before the second lift hill) is indeed disabled and cutting short right before it hits the boat.

Okay, here's an update to this thread, and then an answer to both Sean and Joe.

The water cannons placed around the journey to the second lift are still doing as fore-mentioned. The big one that shoots towards the observation bridge is turned on, but it only fires once every 4 boats. I do kinda miss the water cannon right at the second lift hitting the boat, but it can still get the right side a bit wet.

Now, Sean, I hate water rides what's soul purpose is to get you soaked. I LOVE log flumes, water coasters, and rapids rides. These rides give you an actual ride, rather than just a lift, drop, and splash. Also, if you remember, I wanted to ride StR, but was reluctant due to having a huge bandage on my leg that I didn't want to get wet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.