TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dania Beach Hurricane Declares Bankruptcy

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I Imagine if it would be nice to Relocate this Coaster to an other park like Arkansas Twister/Florida Hurricane from Circus World/Boardwalk And Baseball to Magic Springs! But probably not! Cause the other parks around here would think it's a bad coaster!

It's not making them any money. That's why it's an eyesore.

It's a shame that this coaster is probably going to get demolished, because it was one the best coasters in Florida and a really underrated ride that hovers around my Top 10 woodie list. But shopping malls are a safer bet for investors, and the city will gladly take anything that's going to have a better chance of a return on employments, business rates, taxes, etc etc. Especially given the state of it when I went 8 years ago. Sounds like not much has changed.

I can only take a punt and say that no-one has bothered buying this ride because it's not worth doing. But it another park does miraculously put in an offer and save it at the 11th hour, I'll be very happy so that more people can ride it and see what a great coaster it is.

• 4 months later...

Looks like this great ride will be disappearing soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/morning-edition/2014/08/dania-beachroller-coaster-could-be-knocked-down.html

Everyone that drives along Interstate 95 in Dania Beach has seen the abandoned wooden roller coaster.

The roller coaster sits among 100 acres that Bob Shapiro, president of Aventura-based Master Development, is assembling to build DaniaLive Marketplace, according to the Sun Sentinel. The 1.3 million-square-foot open air shopping center would combine big-box retailers, restaurants, a hotel and apartments.

Shapiro said he expects to complete land deals with eight owners after he gains a series of approvals from the city this fall. Under that scenario, the Hurricane would be taken down early next year, he told the Sentinel.

City officials are counting on the project to energize an industrial area surrounding Stirling and Bryan roads.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 1 year later...

It looks like Dania Beach Hurricane demolition will finally begin on March 10

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/realestate/fl-roller-coaster-torn-down-20160219-story.html

Hurricane wooden roller coaster to be torn down March 16

The Hurricane roller coaster is scheduled to be disassembled March 16 so developers can build a shopping center.

Paul Owers Sun Sentinel

The old Hurricane roller coaster in Dania Beach will soon make its final plunge.

The 100-foot-tall wooden ride visible from Interstate 95 will be taken down starting at 10 a.m. March 16, making way for a 1 million-square-foot shopping center called Dania Pointe.

But those looking for a dramatic implosion or souvenirs will be disappointed.

The roller coaster will be disassembled piece by piece, and the process could take weeks, said Paul Puma, president of the southern region for New York-based Kimco Realty.

Citing safety concerns, Puma said onlookers will not be allowed to take home parts of the roller coaster. Still, he said the event will be a big deal for the community.

"It will be the most visible sign of progress when people see that roller coaster come down," he said. "We will not be wiping away any tears. It's a celebration."

Kimco is developing the 102-acre Dania Pointe east of I-95 at Stirling and Bryan roads in a joint venture with Master Development of Aventura and Salzman Real Estate Advisors of Dania Beach.

The developers had said the long-shuttered Hurricane would be torn down in 2015, but signing leases and getting city approvals for the shopping center were bigger priorities.

The Boomers entertainment complex closed early last year as the developers assembled land for Dania Pointe.

No signed leases have been announced. But the 35-acre first phase, which will include discount retailers and "big box" stores, is expected to open in the fall of 2017.

The second phase, which will include more retailers, restaurants, 1,000 residential units and two hotels, will follow in the fall of 2018. By that point, construction should be started on 150,000 to 200,000 square feet of offices, Puma said.

Barry Wolfe, a vice president of investments at Marcus & Millichap in Fort Lauderdale, said the "mega-project" likely will attract patrons from Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties.

The Hurricane, which opened in 2000, was built with more than a million feet of lumber and 8 million pounds of concrete. It was known as the tallest wooden amusement park ride in Florida. But it closed in 2011, the victim of a sagging economy, and some local officials consider it an eyesore for a city trying to boost its image.

A handful of people held wedding ceremonies on the ride in its heyday. In 2009, Avi Frier, a magician and entertainer in Hollywood, pulled an escape while riding the roller coaster.

City Commissioner Albert Jones said he expects a large crowd next month, with kids and adults alike clutching cameras and iPhones to capture the Hurricane's last stand.

"I'm quite sure it holds sentimental value, and a lot of people will hate to see it go," Jones said. "But we have to move forward. It's a new beginning."

It wasn't just a top coaster in Florida, it was one of the best woodies in the world. Top 20 IMO. Fun ride.

I have a feeling this shopping center will never end up being fully developed and still end up being a black eye for the city. I don't recall the area being that desirable, so 1,000 residential units seems a bit odd...

It is a shame that the Dania Beach Hurricane has to go... I used to spend my birthdays in South Florida with at least one ride per trip. It was an undeniably fun wooden coaster, and one of the more smooth wooden coasters of its kind. That being said, it was in a terrible location and was poorly managed and operated. I'm sad to see it get torn down but it was an inevitability that couldn't be prevented.

Rode it on opening day and dozens of times after,always gave a great ride,wood coasters and Florida don't seem to mesh,what a shame.Everytime I drive through that area in the future I'll be seeing shopping centers that replaced the Hurricane and a few minutes south the old (Six Flags) Atlantis waterpark.

• 2 weeks later...
But those looking for a dramatic implosion or souvenirs will be disappointed.

The roller coaster will be disassembled piece by piece, and the process could take weeks, said Paul Puma, president of the southern region for New York-based Kimco Realty.

What's the chance this means there might be a buyer lined up and they are keeping quiet about it?

I'm guessing pretty slim. Demoing it slowly will allow them to sell the pieces they can as scrap or to another theme park and have the site clean and ready to go for their development needs quicker.

What's the chance this means there might be a buyer lined up and they are keeping quiet about it?

The ride has become less desirable to prospective buyers with each and every day it has been standing but not operating. Extended time spent standing but not operating depreciates the value of a coaster and the ride has not been maintained at all since it closed, so it is likely that the track itself is in poor condition. Often inthese circumstances, it would cost more to disassemble, transport and reassemble while refurbishing needy sections than it would to build a new coaster from scratch.

At this point it is best we cut our losses with the Dania Beach Hurricane...

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I don't live in South Florida anymore, I'll miss it. Only got to ride it 1 day, but 10 times. Would've been more, but the friend I was with got sick and didn't ride anymore, so I left with him. I should've come back... My mistake. Farewell old friend.