TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dania Beach Hurricane Declares Bankruptcy

I really would like to encourage everyone not to respond or argue with O-Town77. His arguments and posts are borderline "trollish" and I'm convinced he's just saying things to start flame wars. While he claims to have had experience working in theme parks, his posts and thoughts about working in the industry seems to suggest otherwise. He's been banned from this forum in the past, and warned about his current posting style. If it keeps up, he won't be a member here much longer.

--Robb

I really don't have any idea why you constantly seem to have an axe to grind with me.

All I've done is post my opinions -- call them stupid if you like. But I've never been a troll.

Edited by O-Town77

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, the weather in South Florida vs. Central Florida is not that different, that's the worst argument ever. Second, What Adam was saying about seniors is that yes, there are a lot of senior citizens in South Florida, but Miami itself has a MUCH younger demographic. Port St. Lucie is a completely different scene. And let's not forget all the families who come down to visit Grandma and PopPop. Thirdly, I don't think it's completely out of the question that South Florida will never have a major park. It will take time, but it can be built up to those kinds of offerings. You can't just pop up a major thrill park and expect it to fly, it will take time to grow.

You are correct about Miami.

I was simply speaking about South Florida in more general terms -- I lived in Broward for 18 years. Broward and Palm Beach Counties have huge senior populations.... Perhaps, my comment were too vague.

I also agree with you about weather being similar to Central Florida.... Walt was very wise to build so many indoor attractions at his parks.

Edited by O-Town77

^You post your opinions so strongly and go so far out of your way to defend them even against the most minor difference of opinion, it comes off as trollish. While we want people to discuss things, you kind of kill the discussion by stabbing a conversation with a "definitive" response. Opinion and fact are two very different things, and while defending your opinion is fine, you can't prove every opinion to be definitively true, and even if you aren't trying to, it comes across as if you are.

Your tone and your presentation continue to reflect the above, and you have already been told this. I would recommend taking the time to look at how others (especially some of our more active, long-standing posters) contribute to the forums before posting again, that way you can see how our discussions generally go. A little heat is fine, but at the end of the day, we are talking about theme parks, roller coasters (and occasionally donkeys)! This is a hobby (and while for some, a profession) that is about fun and enjoyment, and we like to promote that aspect here.

And once again, I need to warn you about double posting. Please refrain from doing so any more, or you may receive a temporary ban.

Edited by jedimaster1227

And once again, I need to warn you about double posting. Please refrain from doing so any more, or you may receive a temporary ban.

I'm still a relative newbie -- still learning the "tone" thing.

Hopefully, I've gotten better with it over time.... because I've definitely been trying.

As for the double posting -- I apologize, that's mostly my lousy (WildBlue) internet connection.... My ping sometimes creeps up to 2000 ms or drops completely in the middle of a submission.... Satellite internet is awful, I'm about ready to go back to 56k. But DSL and Cable aren't available in my neighborhood.

Outside of the 'Little Dipper' at SFGAm (which is small and has a large portion of new wood) what large 100% wooden coaster of recent has been successfully relocated?

Zippin Pippin doesn't count as it was 100% new construction off the original plans. I'm talking a full on move.

I've heard the one at Little Amerrika was moved but it's also somewhat of a small one.

It just doesn't seem very successful to move one as all you are salvaging is the frame and mechanical/technical components. I'm sure you probably save a little money, but will it ever ride the same?

^ Meteor was mostly re-built, as was Starliner. Honestly, I can't think of many wood coasters that have been "moved" that didn't require at least half of the structure re-built from the ground up.

I'm guessing that the "feasibility study" will come back and tell them "If you really want a wooden coaster, why not buy a new one?"

^ Meteor was mostly re-built, as was Starliner. Honestly, I can't think of many wood coasters that have been "moved" that didn't require at least half of the structure re-built from the ground up.

I'm guessing that the "feasibility study" will come back and tell them "If you really want a wooden coaster, why not buy a new one?"

I completely agree with you on this point.

I firmly believe that nostalgia was the driving factor for these relocations, never good business practices or plans.

I'd say nearly every park that had paid to relocate a wooden roller coaster would have been better off with a clean sheet design instead. For the cost of documenting, transporting and rebuilding most of these structure... Those respective parks could have probably had a larger and more modern attraction for the same amount of cost.

I actually think Kent would have probably spent less on the Starliner if he simply started from scratch using its blueprints (like what they did for Zippin Pippin) -- instead of the labor-intenstive documentation, disassembly and cost to move all that lumber.... which mostly ended up rotted out anyways. It's the business decision that bankrupted him and he lost 2 amusement parks because of it.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-dania-beach-coaster-20121015,0,4794566.story

The tallest wooden roller coaster in Florida, visible to anyone driving up or down Interstate 95 in southern Broward County, is closed for good.

But the coaster's wood and steel parts are still worth millions, so the owners of the Dania Beach Hurricane are looking for a non-profit willing to take on dissembling the 3,200-foot-long, 100-foot-tall roller coaster to sell it for salvage parts.

For more than a decade, the coaster thrilled tourists and South Floridians at the laser-tag and go-kart theme park Boomers of Greater Fort Lauderdale

"We know a lot of kids will be sad," said Allyson Goodwin, an attorney with Saavedra Pelosi Goodwin and Hermann. The firm represents Dania Woody LLC, the owner of the coaster. "It's just one more victim of the economic issues going on in the last couple years."

Some South Floridians will miss the coaster, though.

"That's so sad," said Maci Jones, 20, on Monday night. The Miami Gardens native was playing mini golf at Boomers with a friend. "I remember when I was in the third grade and we went on a field trip here. I was scared to ride it at first, but you get over it once you go on and then you can't stop."

Carmen Bezold, of Miami, was at Boomers on Monday night with her husband and young daughter. She said she never rode the coaster, but it's a shame to lose it.

"It's a very good point of reference," said Bezold. "When you pass it on 95 you're like, 'Oh, we're by Boomers.' You never forget Boomers is here."

Coaster cars stopped running the wooden and steel track in April 2011, while the ride's owners were filing for bankruptcy. Fewer and fewer people were using the ride, Goodwin said, and it hadn't been profitable for a few years before it closed.

The bankruptcy ended in January, but the Hurricane was almost the subject of an auction brought on by unpaid taxes. The Broward County Tax Department ordered it to be auctioned off to the highest bidder because of $9,800 outstanding in 2011 personal tangible taxes. The auction was set for Wednesday. But Dania Woody LLC paid the back taxes at the last moment and the auction was canceled.

The roller coaster was up-to-date on inspections and in fine working condition when it closed, but to renovate it after a year of disuse would cost $10 million, Goodwin said.

Dania Woody LLC decided to donate it a few weeks ago, when a salvage yard report came back saying that the parts would be worth more than the cost of breaking it down. The roller coaster, which opened for business in 2000, was built with more than a million board feet of lumber and 8 million pounds of concrete.

The company wants a nonprofit to either take the coaster away to renovate and run elsewhere, or pay to take down the coaster in exchange for owning the salvage parts, Goodwin said. Anyone interested should e-mail her at agoodwin@lawspgh.com, she said.

Dania Woody LLC will keep paying its lease to Boomers for that piece of land near Interstate 95, though, Goodwin said. The company "has faith in that location," and will probably build retail space there.

What retail is going to be successful at a FEC facility?

"Donating" the ride seems like a tax cheating scheme to me.

The parts being worth $1,000,000 as salvage sounds a little far fetched. $10,000,000 to restore the coaster. Fuzzy Math!

Dania Woody LLC will keep paying its lease to Boomers for that piece of land near Interstate 95, though, Goodwin said. The company "has faith in that location," and will probably build retail space there.

I can't blame 'em for holding onto the location. I'm not completely sold on "retail" ever flourishing in that spot, but when Boomers is finally leveled (which it will eventually be), there's plenty of land to be developed.

It'd make a nice spot for a new Cowabunga Bay.

It is a shame to see such a decent coaster go to waste, let alone not finding a way to operate again, but it was poorly managed, poorly operated and in its last few years, poorly maintained. I saw some of the worst operations I've ever seen during my last visit where the ops had headphones in and were watching DVDs on laptops, even during safety checks and pre-dispatch.