TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Say Something Random" Thread

robbalvey

I am so nervous right now. I guess this could be viewed as a rant, but in my opinion rants are angry and I am not, just nervous. I am on my schools forensics(speech and debate) team and I am performing my first platform speech, meaning I wrote it almost 100% on my own, I wrote in all the jokes... etc. It's making me flip out a bit though... I am a debater... the prospect of actually giving a speech I wrote and not a case or a point I wrote in less than 20 minutes is freaking me out. Now to memorize, memorize, memorize.

Any other speech and debaters out there with tips? I have memorized things before for random school project, and while I realize school is competitive this is a competition with winners and losers. I would LOVE(MORE THAN ANYTHING) to take home a gold medal. I have a few bronze medals, but have never taken gold...

A bit of advice on your speech. I was never in speech a debate, but I do a lot of public speaking as part of my career. Don't get too tied up in following the script, especially if it is a debate situation. I see people get so stuck on their script that it takes away creativity and ends up hurting them.

Edited by AllenA07

^ Thanks for the advice. We don't write scripts for debate, which is why I am a good debater... I have the ability to think on my feet in the short time we have for prep. A platform speech, however, is structured in a way where a script is necessary. I am following your advice, however, and although I am following the layout and structure of the script I am trying my best not to worry if it is not necessarily word for word. The good part about writing it is I can paraphrase what I wrote. The VERY important part is sources and structure... if I memorize my sources and memorize my structure I should be golden.

My in class read through of the speech I mentioned from a few pages above went pretty well. I do need to work on my memorization quite a bit, but for the most part the people I was giving it to seemed to enjoy it. Now I just need to work on a few basic "fundamentals" of comedy as it is a comedic speech. For example I had not read it in front of a large audience before so others laughter made me laugh which is not good to do in competition. Honestly though I am VERY proud of myself... this is my last speech competition. I went from a rookie debater with no idea how to publicly speak to a junior debater(junior is two ranks up from rookie... meaning I have won four medals) as well as a competitor in Independent events!

Got back from the movies to realize that I had a paper due tomorrow that I hadn't started! Thanks largely to the large Dr. Pepper I downed at the theater, I had enough energy to write my paper!

But now that I'm done... I don't feel tired enough to go to bed.

So excited to come home today and see my TPR Bag O Crap had arrived. Spent the night looking at park maps I wish I could read and laughing a lot due to the DVD which was included. Taking my TPR pen with me to work tomorrow. You guys rock. Thanks again.

I've been itching badly for the past few days. Thought it was an allergic reaction caused by something in the dirt, which I was digging in. However, my mom believes it's skin cancer. I don't believe in her crazy theory, but still, just the thought that I could potentially die, it's really frightening.

EDIT: My mom's crazy theory has been ruled out. Friend think it might be the chickenpox. Either way, this itching sucks.

Edited by CoasterKings908

Have you ever done something totally incredible and amazing and you spend so much time being proud and amazed at what you did that it distracts you from something very important that you end up totally forgetting about and start feeling like a freaking idiot for forgetting about it?