TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster names

What coaster names would you rank "good" "ok" and "bad"?

here's some of mine:

Good names: Déjà Vu, Goliath, Millennium Force, Kumba, Alpengeist, Kingda Ka, X, Top Gun, Invertigo, Xcelerator, Ghostrider, Storm Runner . . .

Ok names: Superman Krypton coaster/: Ride of Steel, Viper, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Montu, Kraken, Expedition GeForce, Silver Star, Nemesis, SheiKra, Hydra: the Revenge, Raging Bull . . .

Bad names: Pepsi Max Big One, Mantis (norwegian for "man pee"), Kanonen (The Cannon), Dæmonen (The Demon), Balder (a typical norwegian name for a horse), Speed: the Ride, Montezooma's Revenge, Big Dipper, Apollo's Chariot, Speed Monster. . .

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like when a park just uses the coaster's product name as the name for the ride. "Boomerang", "Roller Skater" and "Dragon Wagon" come to mind. Same goes for Enterprises named "Enterprise" and Pirate Ships named "Pirate."

I also really dislike names with the word "express" in them...Cornball Express is the worst of these!

As for names I like, I found one named Devil's Backbone on RCDB from Gordon State Park in Ohio. I think that's just about the best coaster name I've ever heard!

-Julie

Mantis (norwegian for "man pee"))

A mantis is a kind of insect, it has nothing to do with pee.

Balder (a typical norwegian name for a horse)

I think with Balder they mean the Norse god, which makes it a great name.

Yeah I know it means a god, but I think of horses when I hear "Balder" and that makes it a bad name for me...

Pretty much anything with the word "star" in it.

For that matter, pretty much anything with the words "steel" or "looping" or a color.

Also add in "monster" and "thriller" and "flash", as well as any uncreative one-word names, like "Demon". "Hydra" sounds cool; "Demon" doesn't.

We need cooler sounding names, like... I dunno "Breakneck" for a really fast launch coaster, or "Altitude" for a really tall one.

Good names: Déjà Vu, Goliath, Millennium Force, Kumba, Alpengeist, Kingda Ka, X, Top Gun, Invertigo, Xcelerator, Ghostrider, Storm Runner . . .

Ok names: Superman Krypton coaster/: Ride of Steel, Viper, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Montu, Kraken, Expedition GeForce, Silver Star, Nemesis, SheiKra, Hydra: the Revenge, Raging Bull . . .

Bad names: Pepsi Max Big One, Mantis (norwegian for "man pee"), Kanonen (The Cannon), Dæmonen (The Demon), Balder (a typical norwegian name for a horse), Speed: the Ride, Montezooma's Revenge, Big Dipper, Apollo's Chariot, Speed Monster. . .

You call "X" a good name?!?!?

You call "X" a good name?!?!?

X is actually my farorite name! The logo is SO cool!! Xcelerator is my favorite name too...

I think Desperado is really lame name too, but it's my #2 favorirte coaster

Some of my favorites...

The Beast - ambiguous and scary

Legend - Holiday World's version has a double meaning

Shivering Timbers - corny but original; it just works for me

Vapor Trail - sounds like a great Intamin hyper instead of a vekoma junior

Shooting Star - classic name for an out-and-back

Cyclone - ubiquitous now, but still great. It looks good on a big neon sign, rolls off the tongue, suggests power, speed, and an out-of-control feeling. Plus it requires no theming to be effective.

Chase though the Clouds - a mouthful, but this just summons visions of the grand old parks of the first "golden age"

Voyage - didn't excite me too much at first, but I think that when taken in the new Thanksgiving area, with a (hopefully) sailing-ship themed station, Voyage will work nicely.