TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

R.D.'s Patent's thread.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the spillway element----the first time I visited Busch Gardens The Dark Continent, "Stanley Falls" had one of these, but when I returned a few years later, that particular element was removed. I've been wanting to see pix from the original structure, but really haven't been able to find any.........anyone got pics of this? I know for a fact that it existed because I rode on it when it had them, I just don't have any shots to prove this.....it was unique.

Regarding the spillway element----the first time I visited Busch Gardens The Dark Continent, "Stanley Falls" had one of these, but when I returned a few years later, that particular element was removed. I've been wanting to see pix from the original structure, but really haven't been able to find any.........anyone got pics of this? I know for a fact that it existed because I rode on it when it had them, I just don't have any shots to prove this.....it was unique.

Right now, I'm still searching for pics of the spillway. I've heard that many flumes did get retrofitted without spillway elements- save the Kennywood Park Log Jammer (Which has been my only encounter with the Spillway element to date).

A little off topic however was Blackpools Log Flume not one of the first?

I like all the RCT3 Demo Tracks

Also in rct3 there is a inverted coaster where the trains split, Is that a real design or purely RCT3?

According to an old Arrow press release (Thank you Shane's Amusement Attic!) Blackpools was one of the first- but the actual first priviledge goes to Six Flags Over Texas.

As for the 'split' coaster in RCT III.... You'll have to wait and see, but it's closer than you think. Stay tuned to the Patent Thread for that in a future episode!

R.D.

Right now, I'm still searching for pics of the spillway. I've heard that many flumes did get retrofitted without spillway elements- save the Kennywood Park Log Jammer (Which has been my only encounter with the Spillway element to date).

At family kingdom (myrtle beach SC) their flume has a spillway element!

That's great to know, too. I've sent out e-mails to several parks who had rides with the Spillway element in it (BGT, for example) for any older pics to share with the audience- I'm hoping they get back to me soon enough.

R.D.

5/9/11: Update #5

Bartlett's Bobsleds- A.K.A. "The Flying Turns"

In tribute to this, the fifth year of Flying Turns at Knoebel's construction, I decided to do an update as to how they did it the first time- Norman Bartlett style.

In 1928, Bartlett met John Miller, who was at the time the USA's most prolific builder. His design, ingenuity brought forth the idea of building a bobsled coaster. The first of these models opened in 1929, followed by a limited handful over time. These include the Euclid Beach Flying Turns, which was the first to incorporate trains rather than individual cars. Other famous models include installations at Forest Park Highlands (St. Louis, Mo.) , Coney Island (Brooklyn, NYC), and the Riverview Park (Chicago, IL.)

turnsthree280.jpg.2286f28c8c483bfb28d37e30f84f0bd8.jpg

Flying Turns Trough- as viewed from above-ish.

To give an idea of the complexity of these rides, construction took place in several layers- the first composed of building the trough structure, followed by the stringers to hold the trough sections together, and finally, layering bent cypress wood to form the actual running surface therein. The cars themselves were a challenge- utilizing rubber tires for the running wheels, and a flexible frame to negotiate the tight twists of the track itself.

404082225_BuildingaFlyingTurns(NYWorldsFare).jpg.6c283ff1aeca02843f15f2c72c8ed1f8.jpg

Building a Bobsled (NY World's Fair 1939)

164720618_NYFlyingTurns.jpg.0da9e218a44417a1c4735f7eae933fe9.jpg

Here's a look at the layering process of the trough itself.

The most notorious of Bartlett's Flying turns was the Palisades Park "Lake Placid Bobsleds" which featured a drop into a rising funnel turn, often throwing riders against the side of the car. The Lake Placid Bobsled had a short operating life- from 1937-1946, when it was dismantled.

1849975861_LBBobsled1.jpg.482794f460f937211b1153c95f62d859.jpg

From a postcard of the Lake Placid Bobsled.

Until recently, the Flying Turns concept was dormant- save for the manufacturers building steel re-incarnations. Those models offered from Intamin and Mack gave good rides, but didn't quite capture the feel of the traditional Flying Turns. And, of course, over the past five years, Knoebels has tried to re-create the wooden Flying turns again- with much anticipation, but nothing happening as of late. Sadly, the Flying Turns Project website recently ceased to exist, but hopes are still alive that they will be able to get the ride opened in the future.

Here is a basic RCT 3 recreation of the Flying Turns:

48385948_NBBobsled1.jpg.1d9c8a6856cd1587cea52adb24837294.jpg

A RCT 3 Recreation of a Flying Turns

1963356779_NBBobsled2.jpg.bed34a593ef9ddc24a2687917c064a40.jpg

Anoterh view of a RCT 3 Flying Turns

You can find it In the TPR Games Exhange HERE!

And onto the patents:

Norman Bartlet patented the Bobsled in two formats- as you will see here. One is the actual concept and track design for the Bobsled, the other is for the articulating cars that were used on the ride itself.

Bartlett Bobsled Car.pdf

Norman Bartlett's Bobsled Car

Bartlett Bobsled.pdf

Norman Bartlett's Bobsled

The Traver Safety Cyclone

The 1920s were the heyday for the coaster around the world- at least until the re-birth of parks in the 1970s. During that era, more coasters were built than in any other time- and designers were trying to outdo each other in many ways.

Enter Harry Guy Travers, of Beaver Falls, PA.

H.G. Travers was a maverick in so many ways. He'd started out doing smaller rides, including the Aeroplane Swing, and the popluar Laff In The Dark rides. In 1927, he broke out of his mold with the imfamous Traver Twisting Triplets: The Crystal Beach Cyclone, the Palisades Park Cyclone, and the Revere Beach Lighting- near identical triplets of what is well-reported to be the most insane wooden coasters on earth.

1463575770_CBCyclone.jpg.16accd3cf37a34b735f72a51d3543f40.jpg

The Crystal Beach Cyclone, as viewed from the first drop.

1406638781_CBCyclone3.jpg.8b34951ffd52dbef1501680057a543e3.jpg

The Crystal Beach Cyclone (Platform End)

These rides were brutal. Many reports of injuries arose from these warped, twisted rides- going into areas that no other ride has done so since. Featuring elements of terror that were hemmed in from many designs, they had trick-track (Picture the Shivering Timbers 'trick track', high-element banking (The Figure eight had 70 degree turns in it) and fly-throughs of structure with headchoppers abounding. Most of the supporting structure was made of steel, making the Cyclone coasters among the first of the 'Hybrid' structure rides built.

revere_beach_lightning.jpg.378e774c2ca728af3ecc6dc56f1ab5c6.jpg

The Revere Beach Lightning

1204770029_RBLightning3.jpg.a1f2de99e5b1841830e7882c4ff6c186.jpg

TWISTY GOODNESS!

So brutal were these rides that a nurse and first aid station was placed on the exit platform of the Crystal Beach Cyclone- whether this was for show or for ACTUAL use, I don't know.

A fourth model, the Oaks Park (Portland, Oregon) Zip was opened in 1928*. and featured a truncated, but nevertheless brutal ride. It survived into 1934 before it was dismantled.

Onto the Patents:

There are four patents associated with the Traver Safety Cyclones: Two featuring cars, and two featuring rides. The two car patents are for a single bench model, and the later improved two bench model. You might view these as the direct forerunners to the Millenium Flyers as done by Great Coasters International; indeed, GCI has taken the best of the ideas from the Traver Cyclones and made them popular (and GREATLY desired!) with parks around the world.

Traver - Cyclone Car.pdf

The Traver Single Bench Cyclone Car

Traver - Cyclone Cars (Two Bench).pdf

The Traver Cyclone Two-Bench Car.

And onto the GOOOOOOD stuff:

Here you'll find the Patent for the original Safety Cyclone- which was modified in part for the Twisting Triplets, and the patent for the truncated Oaks Park Zip coasters. These patents are not directly the rides themselves, but rather, the ideas behind the rides. Many of these elements were incorporated into each design.

Traver - Cyclone (Patent one).pdf

Traver Safety Cyclone (Zip Model)

Traver - Cyclone (Saftey Cyclone).pdf

Traver Safety Cyclone (Standard Model)

* I have found six different references to the actual year that the Zip opened- and of them, the year 1928 is quoted three times. Until I see the first ride stub, I'll stick with 1928 as being the opening year.

I hope you've enjoyed this week's uploads- as they are a lot of fun to put together. Please comment on these thread posts- as your questions will be answered quickly, and your ideas are appreciated. I've got more fun in store for next week.

Let me know what you think!

R.D.

[attachment=7]Arrow Log Flume.pdf[/attachment]

R.D.

Just me thinking aloud, but if I recall correctly, I believe that this is actually the patent for the boat system Arrow developed for It's a Small World at the '64/'65 World's Fair.

Otherwise, interesting little thread!

[attachment=7]Arrow Log Flume.pdf[/attachment]

R.D.

Just me thinking aloud, but if I recall correctly, I believe that this is actually the patent for the boat system Arrow developed for It's a Small World at the '64/'65 World's Fair.

Otherwise, interesting little thread!

You are absolutely right. That is the patent for the Arrow Ride-through vehicle system used in IASM and later modfied for Pirates of the Carribean-

I'll try to find the Arrow Log Flume Patent, and post it next week within the thread-

R.D.

Patent Thread Author

This thread is so awesome, being able to view the history of theme parks through the inventor's eyes is simply amazing. Thanks RD so much for this thread!

About this update, Harry G. Traver is my greatest hero when it comes to theme park ingenuity. Although I've seen the Cyclone patent, I've never seen the patent for Zip, nor the Flying Turns which were also a great invention, and again, it's so awesome to look through them.

Can't wait for next week's update! It's sure to be amazing, same as all before!

Not sure if you've got these, but any chance for a disney update for us Disney ride nerds out there? I'd love a Matterhorn Patent as that was the original steel coaster. Also I'd be very interested in a patent for the test track/ journey to the center of the earth/ cars acceleration technology as well as possibly omnimovers or the indy/dinosaur programed jeeps, since it is said each ride is a little different on those. Just some requests from one disney geek to another awesome thread, though!

I'm glad to see that this thread is getting some notice- as it's so we can see into the history (and thoughts) of our forefathers/mothers of rides...

GHost: Look at page one of the thread! It's the second patent down: The original Arrow/Disney Bobsled IS the Matterhorn track as defined by Arrow circa 1950s. Of course, it's not the complete track layout, but rather, something that's a compiliation of ideas. Most of the patents featured in this thread are just that: The original ideas behind the ride, rather than the final outcome.

Right now, I do have a 'stash' of Disney Patents for quite a few projects- as well as some weird 'never builts' that I've got a bit of research on before they get published.

R.D.

Patents Thread Author

That's great to know, too. I've sent out e-mails to several parks who had rides with the Spillway element in it (BGT, for example) for any older pics to share with the audience- I'm hoping they get back to me soon enough.

R.D.

I have images of the Family Kingdom Spillway Element. They aren't of the best quality as they were taken before I took up photography.

DSC01483.thumb.jpg.4c75240ce242ab7b8eb283514d1b004f.jpg

You enter from the right of this image...

DSC01479.thumb.jpg.d28a046d5a94e216c1e25c4ccc34bb30.jpg

The exit of the element...

DSC01484.thumb.jpg.7727fecacea1ff633409f112b8219bdd.jpg

The run-out after the element

thrillseeker92: Those are exactly what I was looking for for the Spillway Element- now if anybody out there has pics of the Kennywood Log Jammer's spillway, it would make for a great set of photos!

Jynx: I hear ya, I really do. In a lot of ways, though, we do see a lot of the same elements that Traver had intended- albeit MODIFIED up the wazoo - in the GG and GCI coasters of today. The Timberliner trains/Millenium Flyers both feature designs that are based upon the Traver Cyclone safety cars.

But to see the CB Cyclone restored? OHhhhhhhyesssssssss.... The TPR event for that would make the New Texas Giant Bash seem like a garage sale!

R.D.

Patent Thread Author.

thrillseeker92: Those are exactly what I was looking for for the Spillway Element- now if anybody out there has pics of the Kennywood Log Jammer's spillway, it would make for a great set of photos!

Jynx: I hear ya, I really do. In a lot of ways, though, we do see a lot of the same elements that Traver had intended- albeit MODIFIED up the wazoo - in the GG and GCI coasters of today. The Timberliner trains/Millenium Flyers both feature designs that are based upon the Traver Cyclone safety cars.

But to see the CB Cyclone restored? OHhhhhhhyesssssssss.... The TPR event for that would make the New Texas Giant Bash seem like a garage sale!

R.D.

Patent Thread Author.

Actually weren't the M-flyer trains based more on the Prior & Church models of the 20's?

KD: Actually- both.

There's an interesting bit of 'legend/disproved facts' surrounding that-

Traver, Prior and Church were (Much akin to today's standards) working together on a few projects. Traver is generally credited for coming up with the Safety Cyclone designs...

HOWEVER-

it's long been rumored that much like CCI- which split into GCI and Gravity Group- there was internal turmoil among the three- and while the rides themselves were credited towards Traver- they are in fact a work of the three. The same can be said of the cars: While Traver did the patents for them, the designs were very similar (Down to the flanged wheel trains) to what Prior and Church worked with. The history of this era is still very much in question- sadly- and that's something I'm trying to figure out, for clarity's sake.

So yes, Prior and Church were credited, but the designs were all based on a 'mutual' design theory. GCI uses Prior and Church, as they were far more prolific in designing than was Traver- but if you look at the single-bench car assembly, they are very similar to the system that GCI uses on the Millenium Flyers-

I'll chalk this one up to my lack of clarity there; I do apologize for it! I should have explained the Prior and Church connection a bit more in the original post-

R.D.

Patent Thread Author

• 4 weeks later...

Update #6: An X-tra fun Adventure

In this update, we're going to take a look at two of the most controversial coaster desgins ever made: The Arrow/S&S 4th Dimension coaster, and the Thrust Air 2000 coasters.

Arrow/S&S's 4th Dimension:

Arrow Dynamics was well known for pushing the envelope with new ride technology- and in the past had featured some truly innovative designs, including the suspended coaster, the multi-inversion coaster, and later on developing the flawed Pipeline coaster design. Keeping with this tradition, Arrow developed the 4th Dimension coaster in 2002, with great fanfare opening the prototype at SixFlags Magic Mountain

The ride suffered immense difficulties- and drove Six Flags to sue Arrow- sending Arrow into bankruptcy. S&S Power, out of Logan, UT, bought the assets of Arrow and has since begun to build coasters again, using a combination of their own technology (See below!) and refining the Arrow systems to new levels. This also includes a much-needed overhaul of the trains, which led to the ride's rebirth as X2 a few years after it's opening.

Sfmm_X2_train_Workings.gif.9391008d3d1d5a75c43d160382fc813d.gif

A look at the rail design for the 4th Dimension coaster.

X2.1.jpg.61a642a583b0da980fe7dc667dde06d8.jpg

A look at X2. (Photo Courtesy Hanno H)

X2.2.jpg.36005aa9b736cbf0fa0b4026d943ce6c.jpg

TAKE THE TURN!!! (Photo Courtesy Hanno H)

For a look behind the scenes at the X2 through Robb Alvey's eyes:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=x2_mediaday_frhm[/coastertube]

Here's a custom-built recreation of a 4th Dimension coaster (As I'd like to see it!)

SCR29.BMP

A re-creation of an Arrow/S&S 4th Dimension coaster in RCT II

Download the track HERE!

And now for the patent:

The patent you find here is from 2003- and is the original base Arrow patent by Alan Shilke. You might know Mr. Shilke's name from another recent development- Rocky Mountain Coasters, and their re-birth of the New Texas Giant (NTag). He is credited as the primary holder of the patent for this train design.

Arrow-S&S 4D coaster (X).pdf

The Alan Shilke/Arrow Dynamics patent for the 4th Dimension coaster

THRUST AIR 2000

On a related theme, S&S was the creation of Stan Checketts, whos use of compressed air threw everybody up in the air with the debut of the Power Tower ride systems, featuring air launches and powered drops. In the late 90s, experimentation began with combining the compressed air launch of a Power Tower with that of a roller-coaster design. A tower was modified, a test-vehicle was made- and the Thrust Air 2000 was born.

After a few years of testing, the first production coasters were assembled: The first, Kings Dominion's Hypersonic XLC debuted in 2001, followed by Dondonopa in Japan. Both rides were plagued with serious mechanical difficulties in their first years- to the point where Kings Dominion rebuilt and redesigned their trains to handle the stress of constant launching. The ride itself chewed through tires quickly, had problems with the cable smoking (I personally saw that happen more than once!- ed.) and had long lines due to very low capacity. The ride itself went the way of obsolete in 2007.

XLC.1.jpg.ef7193e0158a722c7bac2bafe3b162de.jpg

An overview of Hypersonic XLC (Photo Credit: Joel Rogers)

XLC.2.jpg.53fcca1edd4cab4bf0ef054335cf5229.jpg

Up and OVER: This moment delivered some of the best negative G's on any coaster on earth.

Here's a great POV of Hypersonic XLC from PKDCoaster

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=HypersonicXLC[/coastertube]

For our RCT II/III players: Here's a few minor recreations of the ThrustAir 2000 concept coasters:

SCR24.BMP

RCT II Recreation of ThrustAir 2000

For RCT II Players: Download the track HERE!

1030911176_TA2K2.jpg.e5889c45d1d2d48f05e5f25e5b64292d.jpg

RCT III Recreation of ThrustAir 2000

And for our RCT II Players: Download the track HERE!

Onto the patent:

The patent design comes from Stan Checketts himself- and shows the original design for the ThrustAir 2000- complete with the plain-oval design. Later variations evolved into different layouts- and then later on into using the tubular steel designs that evolved from Arrow Dynamics technology.

Hypersonic Patent.pdf

The Thrust Air 2000 patent from Stan Checketts

So that concludes the Patent Thread update for the week. Let me know what you think- and I'll be back next week with more bizarre and obscure goodness!

R.D.

Patent Thread Author

n this update, we're going to take a look at two of the most controversial coaster desgins ever made: The Arrow/S&S 4th Dimension coaster, and the Thrust Air 2000 coasters.

Controversial? That may be the wrong word. While people seem to take two vastly different sides on these two coasters, I wouldn't say they are Controversial.

Maybe very expensive.....pushing the limits of Coaster design.

Very interesting designs and concepts, I would like to get the chance to ride these. The mechanics are very very interesting, I really hope. (Thought it is doubtful) That we may see more of these two types of coasters with improved operating systems, as I've heard they can usually have long lines, and be somewhat problematic.

REQUEST-I would love to see the Trackless Theater Rides, that WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) Created for the Great Movie ride and Ellens Energy Adventure!

The Test Track/ Journey to the Center of the Earth and soon to be Carsland Ride system would be cool to see.

And of course, the two (what I would consider) the most important advances in Dark Ride Technology! The Omnimover and the Boat Propulsion technology!

Controversial? That may be the wrong word. While people seem to take two vastly different sides on these two coasters, I wouldn't say they are Controversial.

REQUEST-I would love to see the Trackless Theater Rides, that WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) Created for the Great Movie ride and Ellens Energy Adventure!

The Test Track/ Journey to the Center of the Earth and soon to be Carsland Ride system would be cool to see.

And of course, the two (what I would consider) the most important advances in Dark Ride Technology! The Omnimover and the Boat Propulsion technology!

I chose controversial as if you get any two enthusiasts together and discuss them, three opinions will emerge...

In all reality though, the designs have not been an overwhelming success- yet. With both Intamin A.G. and B&M pursuing the 4D concept, they may make a re-birth again in the future with more 'gusto' than before.

As for the ThrustAir 2000, well, let's just say that was a concept that was too early for it's own good. While advances were made with the Powder Keg and now the series of coasters appearing in China and in Germany (Once again: RingRacer still isn't open!) we still haven't seen the great proliferation of this ride concept around the world- yet.

I'll take a look into the omnimover and other dark ride technologies for a future update!

R.D.