TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

San Antonio Residents-Please Help

Hello, TPR community and San Antonio area residents!

A group of us will be in San Antonio in two weeks and, besides the two theme parks, we need ideas for other interesting things to do on the day we arrive. The Alamo has been suggested as a historical stop but that won't take very long. Please let us know if there are any places known by locals that aren't necessarily advertised on the official visitor guides/websites.

Also, if you have any tips for us regarding your home parks, let us know (for example, good places to eat, vegetarian options, plan of attack for rides, etc). We are very excited about our visit on the Friday & Saturday of Easter.

We look forward to getting your feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words: River Walk.

Ive spent a little bit of time in San Antonio and totally agree with this, the River Walk is a really amazing place. I also really enjoyed visiting the Alamo. I know the historical stuff isn't for everyone but the Alamo is fairly reasonably priced attraction and it has a lot of great information and displays and videos on the battle that took pace there and all. The Alamo is also within walking distance from the River Walk so its pretty easy to get to even if to just look at it from the outside and grab a few pictures. Right across from the Alamo is the Menger Hotel which is another really cool historical building where I believe there is a bar there with a bullet hole in the wall that was shot by Teddy Roosevelt while he was hanging out there recruiting members for his Rough Riders. Its supposed to be one of the haunted places in Texas.

I don't remember any restaurants specifically but don't remember anything I had on the River Walk being too far below average.

Also right across the street from the Alamo is a Ripley's Believe it or not if you like that kind of stuff. There used to be a Sally Dark ride in the same vicinity that I never rode but I know it used to be there.

I really love San Antonio, every trip I've taken there I always find myself wanting to spend more time then I have allotted. Really cool city, enjoy!

I've lived in San Antonio for about 10 years now...and the river walk is easily still the best tourist attraction. There's lots of really cool shops, history, and all of the food is very good. The boat ride around the river walk would be a great way to kill time.

Those are the only places I can really think of to do besides the theme parks. Also, while you are in downtown, in addition to the river walk and Alamo there is the Tower of Americas and a really big "Mexican" shop type place where you can buy all kinds of stuff for cheap. Not sure what it's called but I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for the information! We only have a few hours to kill so it seems like Riverwalk/Alamo is the best option. Someone mentioned Tower of Americas to me also so I'll definitely check these suggestions as well. Unfortunately, we will not be able to visit the water park as it's not open this month.

I've lived in San Antonio for about 10 years now...and the river walk is easily still the best tourist attraction. There's lots of really cool shops, history, and all of the food is very good. The boat ride around the river walk would be a great way to kill time.

Those are the only places I can really think of to do besides the theme parks. Also, while you are in downtown, in addition to the river walk and Alamo there is the Tower of Americas and a really big "Mexican" shop type place where you can buy all kinds of stuff for cheap. Not sure what it's called but I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for the information! We only have a few hours to kill so it seems like Riverwalk/Alamo is the best option. Someone mentioned Tower of Americas to me also so I'll definitely check these suggestions as well. Unfortunately, we will not be able to visit the water park as it's not open this month.

Tower of the Americas is also a pretty cool option. You get some great views of the city up there and they have some pretty cool old photos and bits of history. It's not horribly far from River Walk either but if time is of the essence, River Walk and the Alamo would take precedence for me.

Ok. If you have time to book a reservation, Segcity in SA is a really fun tour! You get on segways, and basically tour downtown San Antonio! You get to see some great sites, and there are plenty of picture oppurtunities at the River. It is usually about 2 to 2 and a half hours. A lot of fun! Also, I agree with the River Walk. A very beautiful plave. Texas Republic Cafe, Casa Rio, and many others. Also, if you haven't heard of the mission trail, if you google it, it is really cool If your into history, you go to all five missions and all you do is drive down a single road! Very fast and cool! Hope you have fun here in SA!

Here are a few tips for your visit to Fiesta Texas.

If you get there a few minutes before the gates open head straight to Superman:KC when the gates open , most people go straight to Boomerang or Goliath so you are pretty much guaranteed a walk on.

Take some time to see at least one show. The Rockville shows are best and a great way to escape from the heat in the afternoon.

If you plan on riding Big Spin take note the boardwalk does not open until noon. Get there right at noon to get on the Big Spin without a wait.

The best time to hit Goliath is late in the afternoon as there are fewer people entering the park up at the front.

To save a few bucks on eating, you can buy Meal vouchers at Guest Relations. You can redeem at most restaurants in the park, plus it includes a drink, and you can also upgrade from the included drink to a souvenir bottle.

The Restaurant with the most choices is Sangerfest halle. Its the parks food court. You can find Mexican, American, & German fare. Plus Pizza- Salads- Sandwiches- Yogurts. Plus there are shows that take place in the dining hall.

These are a just a few tips off the top of my head as a former SFFT employee. Hope yo have a great time at the park and in San Antonio.