TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal vs WDW

My wife and I have been to WDW and Busch Gardens in Tampa many times.

Shea had been to Universal several times and the Harry Potter park once last year shortly after it opened. I finally had the chance to do both Universal parks this last weekend(4/2-4/3) for our anniversary(3 day resident's pass). She warned me that I will probably agree with her that she wishes that HP had been done by Disney instead. I now agree.

I also agree that Universal is inferior to Disney on all counts.

Minuses:

- Even though we did research beforehand that said crowds would be "moderate", I found it above average, especially in HP. (We do not do WDW on busy dates). Lines to get into stores. Crowds inside the stores so thick it was impossible to move.

- At Hogsmead, we ate supper. Although we could see our plates cooling on the shelf behind the no less than eight people standing around doing nothing, we had to wait about four minutes to get it. The customer in front of me was immobile waiting for something the whole time.

- At the other end of Hogsmead at the bar, the line was interminable long(all the way out on the patio) and interminably slow with only two bartenders. We would have enjoyed a late afternoon brew, but gave up after standing in the sun going nowhere. We got a beer on the way out in Citywalk. (We also planned to eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., but after being told the wait was 45 minutes, we decided we had waited enough for one day and stopped at Taco Bell before our ride home.)

- The line going into Hogwarts Castle was long, mostly out in the sun and actually wound out into a back paved area behind the castle between two sun soaked walls and temporary fence walls sloppily placed. Once inside the castle, it was entertaining enough to be enjoyable.

- The hanging plants in the greenhouse were sadly untended with brown dead leaves on almost every one.

The Dragon Challenge coaster: I went to the gate where there were two of the staff. They explained that the gate was not being used, but that I had to go in the exit path. A sign indicating this, and other important things, like "This ride is broken" would make it unnecessary for the staff to repeat this hundreds of times. As I walked up that exit path, against the flow of exiting riders, (I passed a mystery line of people that doubled a couple times with guide ropes, that seemingly went nowhere and wasn't moving, reminding me of a level in Dante's inferno where errant theme park visitors are sent for not turning off their cell phones.) I continued on, not sure where I was going until a staff member guided me and others to pass though and across the exiting crowd and up another path.

- Simpson's ride: Another ride where Disney style logistics would help. Long lines are boring. It's easy to put up something to entertain the people while in line. A collection of Simpson video clips would be better than nothing. One of the rooms where we were waiting for several minutes had alternating video screens around the room that did cute things, but they were short and had long interminable pauses between them. Then once we were in the simulator, there was a short intro followed by an endlessly repeating animated dancing Krusty and a monkey before the ride started.

- Spiderman: In the large anteroom was a video that was probably supplying some back story. The large room's poor acoustics and sever hundred chattering guests made it impossible to understand any of it. Subtitles on the screen(like they did on the screens further inside) would have helped.

- About seven rides were down with technical difficulties

- Charging extra for Express passes(Busch does this too). Disney uses the Fastpass system that we prefer. We used the Express pass on Saturday and it helped at some rides, but not all. On some of them it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

- Bottlenecks. On one of the rides, all riders exited by one stairwell. The booth to see and order your ride photos were right at the bottom of the stairs and it was difficult to pass by it. The lockers were in cramped spaces with too few terminals. Many of the lockers were full and attendants had to fix them constantly. I'm leaving my good camera and camera bag behind next time.

- Overall confusion and seemingly random arbitrary routing of people in different ways, confused employees giving incorrect information. Staff and cast members out of uniform. Crowd management, landscaping, facility management, giant cockroaches crawling out of cracks in the restrooms . . .

Pros:

- There is now a non riding Hogwarts tour that allows you to bypass the line, keep your bags with you, travel at your own pace to see all the interior scenery, animated portraits, etc.

I thought that overall value per dollar was better at WDW, and I hate to say it, but if HP and the Univ. parks are such a popular success, maybe they should raise their rates to make the crowds smaller and give them more money for maintenance and upgrading.

I think we'll go back in sweltering August for our 3rd day and hope the crowds are smaller.

I think that Universal staff should go spend some time at WDW for research.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if you knew but a lot of schools are out for spring break. Also I never go to any park on the weekend, if i can avoid it, and even at universal I have been able to get on rides with me as the only person on it! Im talking about revenge of the mummy and all...

But to say the universal staff needs to spend time at disney for research is laughable lol. They understand they are 2 different parks that sorta cater to different demographics.

Even though we did research beforehand that said crowds would be "moderate", I found it above average, especially in HP

I understand it was your anniversary, but why did you go to Universal on a weekend during spring break? ...Of course it was going to be busy, especially with Harry Potter still less than a year old.

(We do not do WDW on busy dates).

Then why go to Universal during a busy time of the year and compare it to Disney during non-peak times. Of course the Orlando parks are better when you don't have to deal with large crowds.

Each Pepsi product > Each corresponding Coke product

If you think a 45 minute wait for Bubba Gump on a weekend is bad, I waited 2 hours for both Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex Cafe on 2 different weeknights in March...and while Potterland is chaotic at times, I think they did an amazing job that Disney would not have duplicated.

I also agree that Universal is inferior to Disney on all counts.

- Simpson's ride: Another ride where Disney style logistics would help. Long lines are boring. It's easy to put up something to entertain the people while in line. A collection of Simpson video clips would be better than nothing. One of the rooms where we were waiting for several minutes had alternating video screens around the room that did cute things, but they were short and had long interminable pauses between them. Then once we were in the simulator, there was a short intro followed by an endlessly repeating animated dancing Krusty and a monkey before the ride started.

quote]

For the Simpson's queue line, were the multiple monitors showing Simpson clips not working in the queue. And not to start any argument but you say Universal is inferior to Disney on all counts yet you mentioned no pros or cons for Disney. Your thread is more along the lines that you were disapointed in Universal, and not of a comparison tool. :off soapbox:

I actually think Universal is a lot better than Disney. Universal caters to the whole family, while WDW's kiddie rides outnumber their thrill rides. Universal's prices are much more reasonable, and I personally think the theming is better. While it may be smaller than Disney, Universal has great hotels and a boardwalk district very similar to Downtown Disney. I'd much rather visit Universal than WDW, but if you can't decide between the two consider a combo trip: spend about 5 days at Disney and 3 at Universal. That gives you one extra day to go back to your favorite park and ride your favorite rides one last time. Overall, I was more pleased with my Universal experience than my WDW experience.

We were also disappointed with Universal when we went there last year. The whole resort reeked of cost cutting and demoralized staff. HHN was incredibly weak.

I hope Harry Potter gives them money to clean up their act and that they give "love" to the entire resort, not just pump money into expanding WWoHP.

We had gone to Universal Orlando every year for the past five. But we have no plans to go this year in large part due to how horrible it was last year.

On busier days, there's NO doubt that WDW handles crowds far more efficiently.

^ there is much love that needs to be given to UO resort but the same can be said for WDW. Old moldy monorail interiors, a water park that has been abandoned for many years (River Country), and many other items. I love Disney, I love Universal. While both places may have its faults, I will still go there over and over again.

We were also disappointed with Universal when we went there last year. The whole resort reeked of cost cutting and demoralized staff. HHN was incredibly weak.

I hope Harry Potter gives them money to clean up their act and that they give "love" to the entire resort, not just pump money into expanding WWoHP.

We had gone to Universal Orlando every year for the past five. But we have no plans to go this year in large part due to how horrible it was last year.

On busier days, there's NO doubt that WDW handles crowds far more efficiently.

So based on your post, you had overall an 80% success ratio at universal...

- Even though we did research beforehand that said crowds would be "moderate", I found it above average, especially in HP. (We do not do WDW on busy dates). Lines to get into stores. Crowds inside the stores so thick it was impossible to move.

- The line going into Hogwarts Castle was long, mostly out in the sun and actually wound out into a back paved area behind the castle between two sun soaked walls and temporary fence walls sloppily placed. Once inside the castle, it was entertaining enough to be enjoyable.

- The hanging plants in the greenhouse were sadly untended with brown dead leaves on almost every one.

- Charging extra for Express passes(Busch does this too). Disney uses the Fastpass system that we prefer. We used the Express pass on Saturday and it helped at some rides, but not all. On some of them it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

I'll admit, I'm a huge Universal fan, even though I appreciate all parks, and I would understand your arguments--IF they made sense.

-What is your research on the crowd level? How does some incorrect predictions that probably is not affiliated affect Universal's quality?

-This is just extreme. Of course the lines are long for a brand new attraction during Spring Break, but the line is incredibly efficient, even massive crowds. And calling Harry Potter's line "entertaining enough to be enjoyable" is a ridiculous understatement.

-The hanging plants are fake--they're supposed to look that way!

-While the Simpson's line may not be my personal favorite, it still is a very well done line with tons of pre-shows and whimsical theming--just on par with any Disney line.

-Another opinion, I see the Express Pass as a very nice perk for Universal property guests that is also generously offered to other people as well for a price. Realize this, this Fastpass rarely changes the average vacationer's gross wait time. For some rides they may be able to shorten their wait by some time (although usually you'll still have to wait a good ten minutes to get on the ride), for others, your line may be longer due to fastpass holders cutting in front of you. While yes, it is free, it is available to everyone and nowhere near as efficient as the Express Pass which lets you get on every ride (either limited or unlimited depending on which version) without waiting in any line and worrying about the stress of running around to get a fastpass.

Sorry, I love Disney, but I think Universal is a better theme park compony at the time and is building better parks, plus you reasoning is pretty flawed.

So based on your post, you had overall an 80% success ratio at universal...

Like most people, I'm more concerned with what's going on right now, not how good my visit was 5 years ago. I'm not into waiting an hour to get into a wand shop or the "wait 45 minutes to buy a soda" attraction or the "50 minute wait to park your car" ride.

^ I dunno...Most people dont go to a park 5 years back to back so, in my opinion, you cant really say like most people. But I do know that most people who visit a place often dont go belly up and give it the "screw you" after one not as good as normal experience...

Just saying...

^^I went at the beginning of the Christmas season and despite the largest crowds I've seen personally at Universal in the five times I've been there, the park was being run better than ever. I never once had to wait for the small things you have mentioned. I stayed on site so I had Express Pass, but that was not available for Harry Potter and HRRR. Despite this fact I never waited more than 20 minutes for eithr of them. Harry Potter's line moves incredibly fast and is one of the most immersive lines anywhere and HRRR also moved quite quickly despite having to leave the back two rows closed for most of my stay (well, at least that I saw personally) due to high winds and low temperatures. You may want to reinvest some of your time into a sixth trip as one bad trip does not necessarily mean the whole resort has gone into the crapper.

On that note, I was thoroughly underimpresses by the whole of Disneyworld. I went at a time that was said to be the slowest part of the year yet still had to wait in massive lines, weave my way around seas of strollers, deal with more whiny children wanting to go home than any person should be exposed to, and spend an hour waiting in a line to get a piece of pizza and a soda. The park's were decent, but offered very little in the thrill department and I left each park wanting something more. Test Track, Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, and MAYBE Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain (Rock 'N Roller Coaster was closed during my visit for maintenance) were about the only rides I could consider thrilling, but even then they were tamed down to suit the younger crowd. The resort as a whole also seemed a little tired. The Magic Kingdom looked like it hadn't been updated in years and the other three parks were lacking in things for a 20 year old and his mother to do. We both left the vacation happy we experienced all of DisneyWorld but we both GREATLY prefer Universal Studios.

You're complaining about it being crowded in Potter while it's spring break and while it's still the hottest ticket in town? I mean, you said you researched before hand, and you saw nothing saying it would be extra crowded or that Hogsmeade shops were authentically small?

I know i'm beating the proverbial dead horse, but c'mon!

I like UOR more than WDW. & I think DL is so much better than WDW. I just don't care for WDW. UOR does have the much better rides. Hulk-OMG!!! Revenge Of The Mummy OMG!!! Amazing Adventures Of Spider Man OMG!!! Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls OMFG!!! The wettest log ride ever!!! Popye & Bluto Rat Burdge OMFG!!! Wettest rapids ride ever!!! Plus Dr. Doom's freefall, Cat In The Hat cooler than a WDW ride Jurassic Park River Adventure OMG!!! Huge giant ass drop & cool looking dinos, Dueling Dragons one of the best inverts, Men In Black, Simpsons, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Jaws, ET. Deffinately better theming. Universal Orlando sure wins for me. I'll take Universal Orlando over WDW any time. Plus completely awesome if your staying onsite you have Universal Express all day long during your whole visit. I was lucky enough to stay onsite 3 years in a row-2001,2002,2003. Wish I could stay onsite again but now the rates are much higher. Portofino sure was nice though.-So much nicer than a Disney hotel!

Taco Bell > Potterland

Taco Bell failed in Australia and closed, you didn't come early enough to save it.

As far as personal preference goes, Universal for me, because I like thrill rides better. Universal lacks attractions compared to Disney, but what they do have is mostly top quality (or at least fun) in my opinion.

Thrill rides have been boring me lately while dark rides and park atmosphere have been becoming more enjoyable. As such, Disney wins without question. I truly do enjoy the Hulk, DD, and the dark rides that Universal does have. It's just that g-forces with little else to back it up haven't been doing it at all lately, I need and have found bigger thrills.

Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are probably the two best major dark rides ever build (in my mind they are without a doubt my two favorite)--neither of these are g-forced based and I would think they would entertain anyone who enjoys dark rides, and Potterland is one of the most immersive atmospheres in any theme park.